I am a long time BlackBerry user. I currently use a BlackBerry Passport SE and love everything about it: physical keyboard; customizable notification light; square screen for great reading experience; battery life; hub; calendar... it's just a great phone. However, with no Flash Player and an installation of Google Play Store that is not fully functional, I have been carrying a second Android phone (Samsung Note 5) to run an app I use for work. I tried using a BlackBerry Priv, but did not like the feel of the small, tight physical keyboard and the sliding action. I am used to BlackBerry software and was so looking forward to the KEYone--even though it would mean giving up my beloved BB 10 OS, square screen, and wider keyboard. The KEYone is a beautiful phone. But I am looking at the specs and compared to other Android phones, and even the Priv, the processor and resolution specs seem mediocre, and I am wondering, "Why?" And will it be a step backwards with speed and display that I will notice. I am not a techie, and would like some techie advice. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-18-17 02:50 PM
    Hold both phones in your hand before you make a decision. I personally wasn't impressed with the S8, if I don't get the KEYone I'm considering the Sony XZ Premium Over the S8. But before I make any decision I'm going in a store and I'm gonna mess around with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:01 PM
    S8 is much better device without keyboard so they're two different beast.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-18-17 03:07 PM
    If the keyboard isn't a buying feature... and the price isn't an obstacle, then of course the S8 is the device to buy. (Not sure I'd go Sony)
    04-18-17 03:09 PM
    You can always draw straws
    04-18-17 03:28 PM
    If you want a KeyOne why would you consider an S8?

From what I've heard from Priv users around here, and those lucky few who have used the KeyOne, the KeyOne is faster. You can even see the comparison in one of the videos of it, one of the early Mr Mobile ones I think had them side by side.

The KeyOne uses the same camera as Google Pixel, and have you seen the Instagram? Some good lookin pics taken with that camera...
    04-18-17 03:53 PM
    If the keyboard isn't a buying feature... and the price isn't an obstacle, then of course the S8 is the device to buy. (Not sure I'd go Sony)
    So many if!
    04-18-17 04:04 PM
    Totally understand why people are considering the S8 due to availability and release date as I'd be hoping for carriers to stock the KEYone as well

I'd consider the s8 mainly for its camera but the camera module is the same as the s7 so I'd consider that first due to price. Not a fan of the s7 design so there goes that train of thought
    Correct me if I'm wrong about the camera. The Sony xz premium looks like it'll pack an excellent camera

I'd also be considering what apps you'd be using and what other things you'd do on the phone on a daily basis otherwise do you need an 835 processor?

Then how much importance do you place on a physical keyboard ; it's up there for me and why I'm waiting...

Lastly, none of these flagships sound like they'll last as long as the keyone. These are three from my list of things I want out a smartphone these days, not necessarily the need to have top end specs.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-18-17 04:06 PM
    I have been watching the videos on the KEYone, and one reviewer commented that the pre-release KEYone is fast with the 625 processor, but wondered would it remain as fast in real-life use with multiple email accounts and other programs running.

Posted via CB10
    bigedschukar and Lobwedgephil like this.
    04-18-17 04:08 PM
    But I am looking at the specs and compared to other Android phones, and even the Priv, the processor and resolution specs seem mediocre, and I am wondering, "Why?" And will it be a step backwards with speed and display that I will notice. I am not a techie, and would like some techie advice. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    It's not always about the specs--It's about real-world performance. A shining example of this is the iPhone, the specs are always less than the android flagships that came out the same year, but it's a smooth experience. iPhone also uses LCD's and not AMOLEDS.

Watching many hands-on reviews online, a common KEYone comment was that it was very snappy and fast! I was doing some research on the 625 processor and read that it is optimized for Battery life and more efficient at multi-tasking (sounds like a perfect phone for productivity). The higher end chipsets in today's flagships are more power-hungry and really the biggest benefit they have over the 625 is the graphics processing so graphic-intensive games and programs will run much more smooth.

I don't know about you, but I don't play very many 3d games on my phone (mostly 2d games like bloons, chess, skyforce reloaded, fallout shelter, etc), so that benefit is rather pointless... Also, the fact that a phone with a dead battery in the middle of the day is rather pointless as well.
    FF22, Dave Knight2 and navySILVER like this.
    04-18-17 04:10 PM
    It's not always about the specs--It's about real-world performance. A shining example of this is the iPhone, the specs are always less than the android flagships that came out the same year, but it's a smooth experience. iPhone also uses LCD's and not AMOLEDS.

Watching many hands-on reviews online, a common KEYone comment was that it was very snappy and fast! I was doing some research on the 625 processor and read that it is optimized for Battery life and more efficient at multi-tasking (sounds like a perfect phone for productivity). The higher end chipsets in today's flagships are more power-hungry and really the biggest benefit they have over the 625 is the graphics processing so graphic-intensive games and programs will run much more smooth.

I don't know about you, but I don't play very many 3d games on my phone (mostly 2d games like bloons, chess, skyforce reloaded, fallout shelter, etc), so that benefit is rather pointless... Also, the fact that a phone with a dead battery in the middle of the day is rather pointless as well.
    But Iphone CPUs are much powerful than android for at least 2-3 years now. I wouldn't be surprised if A10 chipset is more powerful than snapdragon 835.
    kbz1960, phuoc and navySILVER like this.
    04-18-17 10:06 PM
    It depends on what you want. If you really care about having a physical keyboard, then just wait for the KEYone. Because whether the S8 is available one week before or one month before, it still won't satisfy that need. But if you don't really care for that and you are just itching to buy something, then get whatever looks cool to you...
    04-18-17 10:14 PM
    I am in to productivity--not a big game player. My most used features are text, email, calendar, web browsing, using work-related websites, and periodically, the camera. I actually spent today trying to rely on my back-up Samsung Note 5 and using the virtual keyboard to see if I could really give up the physical keyboard. It was a frustrating experience. I am so much faster and more accurate with the physical keyboard. I do need to go to a platform that will run the apps that BB10 OS will not. I am still considering the KEYone. Thanks for the input everyone.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 10:16 PM
    If I wanted a new Android flagship, I'd be picking between the KEYone and the LG G6. The S8 just does little to spark my interest. I don't like the curved edge display and I don't like the fingerprint sensor being off center and mounted so high. At least the S7 gave you the choice between a traditional flat display, or their curved Edge display.
    Ahmad Kaddoura likes this.
    04-18-17 10:21 PM
    @OP. Weigh your options. I'm either going to get the Keytone or spring for a Priv.....coming from a 6 edge+ updated to Nougat that is rather smooth. LOL. I waited a year to get a Z30 and two Q10s. So, I'm excited for CrackBerry members, but, no hurry.
    04-19-17 09:38 AM
    If accessories are a consideration, the S8 pulls ahead.
    04-19-17 09:56 AM
    You should definitely wait for the KEYone. Do not worry about the processor. Read reviews of other phones with the 625 (Moto Z play) and you will know it is a very capable processor and you could expect Passport kind of battery out of it. Given what you have listed as your use I'd say the KEYone is a no-brainer.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-19-17 11:19 AM
    Don't buy the Samsung crap. Keyone will definitely be worth it. Patience kimosabe.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 11:29 AM
    Don't buy the Samsung crap. Keyone will definitely be worth it. Patience kimosabe.

Posted via CB10
    Key one will be the same'' grill'' like priv with low performance...

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 12:38 PM
    Key one will be the same'' grill'' like priv with low performance...

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure I'd say low performance... but it's certainly not in the same class as the S8. Which is why there is a price gap.
    Dave Knight2 and jmr1015 like this.
    04-19-17 03:59 PM
    If you find the vkb on the Note 5 frustrating vs the Passport PKB (or any pkb for accuracy), it sounds like you already know what you want. At this point the wait is almost over for the KeyOne. I'd wait the extra weeks, watch some real world hands on reviews with the final software and then go into a store and try it out in the real world. Based on your usage, I don't think the processor is going to matter at all - except maybe you'll get better battery life out of the KeyOne vs the S8 (just a hunch).
    04-19-17 05:44 PM
    I tried using a BlackBerry Priv, but did not like the feel of the small, tight physical keyboard and the sliding action.

.....processor and resolution specs seem mediocre, and I am wondering, "Why?" And will it be a step backwards with speed and display that I will notice. I am not a techie, and would like some techie advice. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    I will ask, when you say you tried the Priv, did you actually own it and use it and find it unsatisfactory or some visits to the store to play on it? The reason I ask is because a number of folks have indicated that they got comfortable and use to the Priv keyboard after about a week. This has been from both Passport users and Q10 users.

As for the other specs, the "speculation" is this phone is intended to appeal to enterprises so they wanted to keep the price within reason. As others have suggested, the process is probably more than adequate for business, non-gamer types and will also extend the daily battery life.

I know a number of folks are turned off by the delay and antsy to get something new. I understand and the decision is ultimately yours.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-19-17 07:13 PM
    I just ordered S8+. People dont realize how smooth samsung softwares works. Yes there are bloatwares, but the basics like gallery, file explorer, recorders, camera are working like a charm which no BB andro can offer yet. The only K1 advantage I can see is only keyboard over vkb, but the overall daily experience like software integration may compensate the lack of pkb.
    04-19-17 07:13 PM
    I've heard a lot of things said about Samsung software over the years. "Smooth" is not one of those things. Their basic home screen UI has had notorious lag and frame rate issues as long as Touchwiz has existed. Even the S7 has it. The S8 could be different. But I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Attachment 421505
    The integration of daily basic functionals softwares like what I mentioned before are smooth on my Note 5. The lag is only become slightly noticable when the memory is almost runs out. I suggest you try it yourself and you will appreciate what samsung offers.

Like I said K1 offer pkb which no samsung can offer, but thats about it
    04-19-17 07:36 PM
    I say wait for the KEYone.. It will be here soon enough and then you won;t have to suffer Samsung buyers remorse..
    Adam Frix likes this.
    04-19-17 07:45 PM
84 123 ...