So Google dropped their monthly security patches. Let's see when BlackBerry will release them…
    07-05-17 02:55 PM
    BB put up the security advisory for July: BlackBerry powered by Android Security Bulletin – July 2017

And I'm waiting on a few people with Privs to reboot to install an update that just came up.
    07-05-17 03:05 PM
    And I'm waiting on a few people with Privs to reboot to install an update that just came up.
    Nothing yet on the KEYone BBB100-2.
    07-05-17 03:08 PM
    i hope its the complete security patch level (2017-07-05)....
    07-05-17 03:48 PM
    Interesting...so in their security bulletin they say the update is available only for devices from shopblackberry, and others are dependent on the carrier or retailer.
    Sooo...does this mean that the KEYone owners have to wait for BBMobile to push out the security update? I was under the impression that the software end was staying with BlackBerry...but maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly.

Maybe @Bla1ze or @CrackBerry Kevin can chime in on this.
    07-05-17 07:02 PM
    Interesting...so in their security bulletin they say the update is available only for devices from shopblackberry, and others are dependent on the carrier or retailer.
    Sooo...does this mean that the KEYone owners have to wait for BBMobile to push out the security update? I was under the impression that the software end was staying with BlackBerry...but maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly.

Maybe @Bla1ze or @CrackBerry Kevin can chime in on this.
    They did update the boilerplate starting with the June bulletin, but only to allow for delays for ShopBlackBerry devices. The text about carriers/retailers is there from before.

BlackBerry is making an updated software version available for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones that have been purchased from ShopBlackBerry.com. Updated software builds may also be available from other retailers or carriers, dependent on their deployment schedules.

To identify an up to date software build, navigate to the Settings>About Phone menu. Look for the following Android security patch level:

June 5, 2017

If your BlackBerry powered by Android smartphone does not have an up-to-date software build available, please contact your retailer or carrier directly for security maintenance release availability information.
    An updated software version is available immediately for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones that have been purchased from ShopBlackBerry.com. Updated software builds may also be available from other retailers or carriers, dependent on their deployment schedules.

To identify an up to date software build, navigate to the Settings>About Phone menu. Look for the following Android security patch level:

May 1, 2017 or later

If your BlackBerry powered by Android smartphone does not have an up-to-date software build available, please contact your retailer or carrier directly for security maintenance release availability information.
    An updated software version is available immediately for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones that have been purchased from ShopBlackBerry.com. Updated software builds may also be available from other retailers or carriers, dependent on their deployment schedules.

November 6, 2016

chi-town311 likes this.
    07-05-17 07:22 PM
    just checked Rogers has not released it yet for keyone
    07-05-17 09:01 PM
    Priv users just got theirs a few hours ago. it shouldn't be long for Keyone'ers.
    07-05-17 09:42 PM
    I have a bbb100-3 CDMA from best buy. Still on security patch from April. Anyone else?
    07-05-17 10:08 PM
    BB100-2 And Still on April!!!
    07-06-17 05:10 AM
    Hi, new Keyone user here. I've actually compiled Android from source before, Jellybean/4.1.2 for an old HTC phone, a few years ago (that phone still works rather well, too). Not a fun process, but the build time took between 2-3 hours on a quad-core system and generated close to ~20GB of build files. I am mildly amazed that the whole build system worked, because the intermix of compilers and languages felt like it belonged in a mad scientist's mountain-top castle lair. I can only imagine what compiling Nougat from source must be like.

Anyways, the point of the above is I'd expect there to be a few days from the release of the security patches to people actually getting downloadable updates for their phone due to the number of different builds that have to be done and the number of available build boxes that the BBMobile devs have access to. Even after a build is complete, there is likely a testing cycle where the devs or QA types put the build through a series of checks to make sure nothing is broken. Especially since some of the fixes highlighted involve "bionic", which is Android version of a C Library (typical Linux systems use GNU Lib C). That likely means the entire Android userland needs to be rebuilt and tested, along with updates to the Linux kernel powering the phone.
    07-06-17 07:33 AM
    Hi, new Keyone user here. I've actually compiled Android from source before, Jellybean/4.1.2 for an old HTC phone, a few years ago (that phone still works rather well, too). Not a fun process, but the build time took between 2-3 hours on a quad-core system and generated close to ~20GB of build files. I am mildly amazed that the whole build system worked, because the intermix of compilers and languages felt like it belonged in a mad scientist's mountain-top castle lair. I can only imagine what compiling Nougat from source must be like.

Anyways, the point of the above is I'd expect there to be a few days from the release of the security patches to people actually getting downloadable updates for their phone due to the number of different builds that have to be done and the number of available build boxes that the BBMobile devs have access to. Even after a build is complete, there is likely a testing cycle where the devs or QA types put the build through a series of checks to make sure nothing is broken. Especially since some of the fixes highlighted involve "bionic", which is Android version of a C Library (typical Linux systems use GNU Lib C). That likely means the entire Android userland needs to be rebuilt and tested, along with updates to the Linux kernel powering the phone.
    As would all of us. I don't think the have 1 day. android says on their website that they give everyone 30 days notice of what needs to be patched.
    07-06-17 08:16 AM
    Patch is out for BBB100-2 devices still on the April patch. Those on June patch seem to have to wait a bit longer.

/blackberry-keyone-f445/got-july-security-update-1114599/
    07-07-17 07:56 AM
    I'm just going to assume it's taking so long because this isn't just the security update but rather a bug fix update as well.
    07-11-17 09:20 PM