Hi all,

Koodo is having a deal right now on the Google Pixel. I can have the Google Pixel for $660 CAD.

If I Buy the KeyOne, it will be at $729 CAD (still waiting a damn unlocked possibility here in Canada).

I wonder how the KeyOne compare to the Pixel. I wounder too if Canadian will be able to buy an unlocked KeyOne soon (yes they told "june" but they also once told us may 5th, then may 31st...)
    06-07-17 06:32 PM
    One option is to order a Telus KEYone from their website for $699. You won't need to unlock it to use on Koodo since they both use the same network.
    06-07-17 06:45 PM
    It's for the OS update that come directly from Blackberry rather than Telus
    06-07-17 06:52 PM
    The KEYone and Pixel are two completely different phones. While sure you can compare everything in life, these are two things that are in complete different playing fields.
    A quick snap shot though:
    Pixel is way quicker in day to day actions. Opening apps, taking pictures, bouncing between apps. The screen is bigger and brighter. Downloads apps faster too. All around, it's just a faster device.
    But the KEYone one is also a great device. Nothing can beat the keyboard! Nothing! If speed isn't a concern to you, then the KEYone will be perfect as well. It still does everything the Pixel can do.
    And when I say speed, I am talking perhaps a second or two longer then how the Pixel handles apps.
    For me it's not a big deal.
    The camera on the KEYone isn't as sharp. Especially the front facing camera. Mine seems to lag quite a bit and you have to stay still for an actual clear picture.
    Battery life on the KEYone compared to the Pixel is absolutely amazing! I was lucky to get three hour screen time on my Pixel. Thats mainly with Twitter, Snapchat, Email and messaging. Same habits on the KEYone and I haven't gotten less then 5 hours yet. And that's with 30% still left by the end of the day.

HOWEVER! The kicker right now, for myself, and some others in the forums, antenna/reception issues. I have noticed absolute garbage signal since I have switched. It's extremely frustrating! I am going to be putting in for a exchange this weekend and see if it's perhaps a device issue, but I have read of several other people having the issue as well. Something perhaps worth keeping an eye on.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I still have my Pixel around if there is anything I can compare.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-07-17 06:55 PM
    Pixel XL all the way if you don't need a PKB...the battery life on the XL is excellent compared to the regular size Pixel ( I have both sizes) but if you need a PKB there is no point in comparing the Pixel to the KEYone since it's moot.
    06-07-17 08:04 PM
    Hi all,

Koodo is having a deal right now on the Google Pixel. I can have the Google Pixel for $660 CAD.

If I Buy the KeyOne, it will be at $729 CAD (still waiting a damn unlocked possibility here in Canada).

I wonder how the KeyOne compare to the Pixel. I wounder too if Canadian will be able to buy an unlocked KeyOne soon (yes they told "june" but they also once told us may 5th, then may 31st...)
    You'd have to be very dead set on the keyone to spend $800 on it when you can get the s7 for $540 all in or the s7 edge for $640 all in and in the op's example the pixel.

Those phones for those prices provide you value.

The keyone at $800 all in roughly, is way overpriced. I'd rather carry a Classic and s7 if you need apps and a physical keyboard.

Almost positive it's going get a price cut soon anyway.
    06-07-17 08:16 PM
    The KEYone and Pixel are two completely different phones. While sure you can compare everything in life, these are two things that are in complete different playing fields.
    Pixel is way quicker in day to day actions. Opening apps, taking pictures, bouncing between apps. The screen is bigger and brighter. Downloads apps faster too. All around, it's just a faster device.
    But the KEYone one is also a great device. Nothing can beat the keyboard! Nothing! If speed isn't a concern to you, then the KEYone will be perfect as well. It still does everything the Pixel can do.
    And when I say speed, I am talking perhaps a second or two longer then how the Pixel handles apps.
    The camera on the KEYone isn't as sharp. Especially the front facing camera. Mine seems to lag quite a bit and you have to stay still for an actual clear picture.
    Battery life on the KEYone compared to the Pixel is absolutely amazing! I was lucky to get three hour screen time on my Pixel. Thats mainly with Twitter, Snapchat, Email and messaging. Same habits on the KEYone and I haven't gotten less then 5 hours yet. And that's with 30% still left by the end of the day.

HOWEVER! The kicker right now, for myself, and some others in the forums, antenna/reception issues. I have noticed absolute garbage signal since I have switched. It's extremely frustrating! I am going to be putting in for a exchange this weekend and see if it's perhaps a device issue, but I have read of several other people having the issue as well. Something perhaps worth keeping an eye on.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I still have my Pixel around if there is anything I can compare.
    There you go, if you want to take a chance for $729 just to find out if you're going to have signal issues or other defects and then retuning it go give it a shot.

If you were one of those types that felt you were getting great value from the Priv at launch price of $799 cad though... well I guess you'd be pleased with the keyone?
    06-07-17 08:21 PM
    Really just depends on what you want from the phone. I just like having the physical keyboard so it's obvious which I would pick for myself. But the pixel likely out-performs the KEYone on many different things, including the camera despite them being the same module as software is also important.
    06-07-17 08:34 PM
    get the KEYone. You have a complete phone.
    06-07-17 09:15 PM
    I'm having no issues. Sorry all these geeks are trying to ruin it for you.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    06-07-17 10:13 PM
    I have a Pixel and my wife has the KEYone. Both work perfectly. Both will get timely updates. Both have great specs for their use cases.
    Only difference I would say is camera is faster on Pixel. But other than that, not much. If you like the PKB and are not a major online gamer then get KEYone.
    Otherwise Pixel is awesome as well.

FYI, Pixel 2 coming mid fall. But I may get KEYone for myself before that. Feels so good in hand and can do anything that any other Android phone can do!
    Difference in screen size between 5" Pixel and KEYone in minimal. KEYone is wider but Pixel is slightly longer.
    06-07-17 10:37 PM
    I have a Pixel and my wife has the KEYone. Both work perfectly. Both will get timely updates. Both have great specs for their use cases.
    Only difference I would say is camera is faster on Pixel. But other than that, not much. If you like the PKB and are not a major online gamer then get KEYone.
    Otherwise Pixel is awesome as well.

FYI, Pixel 2 coming mid fall. But I may get KEYone for myself before that. Feels so good in hand and can do anything that any other Android phone can do!
    Difference in screen size between 5" Pixel and KEYone in minimal. KEYone is wider but Pixel is slightly longer.
    Is the Pixel the new Android phone that doesn't support expandable memory? I forgot which one it was, my brain is so scrambled, lol. If so, that's definitely a deal-breaker for me (besides the all-touch, lol). I don't like to rely on having a data connection to have access to some of my stuff...
    06-07-17 11:06 PM
    Is the Pixel the new Android phone that doesn't support expandable memory? I forgot which one it was, my brain is so scrambled, lol. If so, that's definitely a deal-breaker for me (besides the all-touch, lol). I don't like to rely on having a data connection to have access to some of my stuff...
    Google Pixel doesn't not have SD card extra storage. It comes in a 32 and 128 GB only. But has free unlimited storage on Google Cloud. I do like the SD card option for sure.
    06-07-17 11:08 PM
    Google Pixel doesn't not have SD card extra storage. It comes in a 32 and 128 GB only. But has free unlimited storage on Google Cloud. I do like the SD card option for sure.
    Yah, I remember that whatever phone it was (guess it is the Pixel) has unlimited cloud storage. But again, for me, cloud storage is great for backing things up. I never want to rely on it to actually store things I actually want to use... That's just me of course.
    06-07-17 11:16 PM
    Yah, I remember that whatever phone it was (guess it is the Pixel) has unlimited cloud storage. But again, for me, cloud storage is great for backing things up. I never want to rely on it to actually store things I actually want to use... That's just me of course.
    I have the 128GB models of both Pixel's and have never had to worry about storage. I find it much faster than the SD card storage on other phones including the S8
    06-07-17 11:28 PM
    I have the 128GB models of both Pixel's and have never had to worry about storage. I find it much faster than the SD card storage on other phones including the S8
    I actually prefer removable storage for things like music and photos because it makes transferring to a new device very quick. I have a U3 memory card in the KEYone now and haven't noticed any speed difference between storing things into the internal memory or into the SD card. So that's not at all an issue for me right now. Again, my personal preference.
    buwee likes this.
    06-07-17 11:34 PM
    You'd have to be very dead set on the keyone to spend $800 on it when you can get the s7 for $540 all in or the s7 edge for $640 all in and in the op's example the pixel.

Those phones for those prices provide you value.

The keyone at $800 all in roughly, is way overpriced. I'd rather carry a Classic and s7 if you need apps and a physical keyboard.

Almost positive it's going get a price cut soon anyway.
    I'm currently using an iPhone-SE as my primary. It isn't bad as a phone, but the touch keyboard is crap and most of the apps are pretty lame imo, it is incredibly facile at doing something i didn't want to have done because a knuckle brushed across some halfassed icon that you have to try in order to find out what it does. I'm trying to figure out if there's *anything* the iphone can do that i really need, unique stuff to justify keeping it at all. Frankly i've been thinking about using the key-one as primary for mail, messaging, and incoming calls, and carrying a $20 flip-phone for the times when i actually want to make an outgoing phone call to a handful of friends and family, business stuff would get looked up on the key-one and calls made there. Nice thing about a simple flip-phone is that they all pretty much have decent battery life if you only turn them on when you need to call out, I get so few incoming calls it isn't worth worrying about, and most of those are from yokels trying to sucker me into a cruise-ship-vacation (as if i'd get *onto* a boat intentionally, nope, not me, i'm a landlubber all the way).

So i read people here complaining about this or that, and i don't really get it. I can power on a flip-phone, wait for the boot sequence, and push a couple buttons in not much more time than it takes just to make my way through the touchscreen menu system on my damn iphone.

I'd still be using my Classic if it was possible to carry it in my pocket without it going off on me (and yes i've tried pocket-protector and the stilgut book-style case and imo they both suck because neither did the job).

The fact that the key-one is android is a major benefit imo because that means i can plug in a cable and load my own apps, something i couldn't do with my crappy iphone unless i bought a mac, and since i think everything about iOS is a PITA, there's no chance of me buying a freakin' mac.

Not sure what all that has to do with anything but i think it does. If the key-one that i ordered yesterday goes off in my pocket, back it goes. I'll thump it a couple times and see if it's brain falls out, if so back it goes. If i find *anything* that sucks half as hard as my iphone, back it goes. I live so far out on the very outskirts of Verizon's coverage area that i've become sensitive to how atmospheric conditions affect signal, and it the signal is crap it goes back. And believe me, if it's a POS you'll hear about it somewhere in the key-one forums.

People are complaining about price... so don't pay it. I could've gotten a carrier-locked phone for $549 (US) but i wanted an unlocked one so i paid something absurd for it, $829 or something, but who even bothers to remember that kind of thing? Ah yes, the young and creditworthy; well fine, i was once a sucker too, but now that i'm old and don't have time left to worry about details like price, it's just numbers.

What i do remember is that in Colorado, BestBuy sucks bigtime. No BB's in their stores, and i tried ordering one on their website and it wasn't available for in-store pickup anywhere with 250 miles, and the website was so crap there was no way to complete the transaction and have it shipped. I went to Amazon and bought the thing. If it's crap it goes back. Big deal.

You can get an iPhone-7 with 256G memory for $849, i think all iPhones come unlocked but maybe not. For $829 or whatever, i get a vastly superior computing device that actually accepts an sdcard and i think they stated a 1TB limit on sdcard size.

If you can't afford to lose, don't play poker. WalMart sells a flip-phone for $20 that is prepaid and you don't lose your minutes at the end of the month. I expect i'll use that as primary-outgoing unless the key-one has a very short menu to actually make a call, if some guy in the car parked next to me asks to borrow my phone, voila, big-risk $20 loaner for a few minutes, if it's some homeless person, let him have the thing to use to dial *211.
    06-08-17 12:38 AM
    They're quite different, but if you have to pay that much more for a K1 I would go with the pixel. That is far too much money for a K1 just on principal.
    06-08-17 03:31 AM

I'm using the K1 now! Switched from the Pixel xl 128gb. You can't compare the two as they both function differently. Battery life is much better on the K1. Speed is only slightly different and you won't notice the difference when using both devices. The K1 has BB apps built right into the os so user experience is different there as well. The Pixel is google thru and thru with zero bloatware. You can't install a micro sd card on the Pixel but you can on the K1. Also the keyboard on the K1 makes typing much more accurate a well.

All in all they are both different devices which offers a host of differences that you can't compare.
    vpblaze and bakron1 like this.
    06-08-17 03:47 AM
    One difference: You can actually see and touch a Pixel in a phone or electronics store. Not so the KEYone. For some reason BB makes you buy it sight unseen.
    02-11-18 12:40 PM
    AND--There are different models of the KEYone : A black, a silver and a bronze. But try to find out the difference between the way they work. Or is it just a color (aesthetic) difference?
    02-11-18 12:43 PM
    I switched from the KEYone after the screen starting lifting. I had the phone since launch and the screen lift happened after 6 months of use.

I have a Pixel 2 now. I have to admit I miss the physical keyboard but apart from that, the Pixel 2 completely blows away the KEYone in every aspect.

And this is coming from a hardcore BlackBerry fan. I had the Bold 9900, Z10, Z30, Passport, Priv and finally the KEYone.

I know people say specs don't make a difference but I am a heavy social media user so the difference specs make is clear as day and night for me since I've had the Pixel 2. Also, the camera on the Pixel 2 is miles ahead of the KEYone, even though they are using the same sensor. Just goes to show how important the software aspect is for taking quality pictures.
    02-11-18 04:20 PM

I have a Pixel 2 now. I have to admit I miss the physical keyboard but apart from that, the Pixel 2 completely blows away the KEYone in every aspect.
    Except battery life, no way Pixel 2 comes close
    02-12-18 12:12 AM
    I switched from the KEYone after the screen starting lifting. I had the phone since launch and the screen lift happened after 6 months of use.

And this is coming from a hardcore BlackBerry fan. I had the Bold 9900, Z10, Z30, Passport, Priv and finally the KEYone.

I know people say specs don't make a difference but I am a heavy social media user so the difference specs make is clear as day and night for me since I've had the Pixel 2. Also, the camera on the Pixel 2 is miles ahead of the KEYone, even though they are using the same sensor. Just goes to show how important the software aspect is for taking quality pictures.
    You're right. I was on Note 8 for six months and now have gone back to the Black KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

I just missed the battery and physical keyboard too much.
    02-12-18 03:44 AM
    You're right. I was on Note 8 for six months and now have gone back to the Black KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

I just missed the battery and physical keyboard too much.
    That said, the Note 8 complements the KEYone quite well, they both do some things well that the other doesn't.

Basically, if there's any device one would need to carry alongside his K1, only the Note 8 would make sense, mainly for stylus etc...

Hell, you can even get a PKB case for N8, but it's discontinued in English so you need to get the Korean version, which does have English letters in small on the keys.
    02-12-18 05:49 AM
30 12