I finally managed to sell my Priv, which to be honest was a total disappointment for me. I have been a BlackBerry owner for the last 5 years and this has been their only crappy product I've had, so I want to give BB another chance. However I want to be sure that I won't suffer from the following failures I experienced with my Priv:

*Phone overheating: The Priv could be a portable egg cooker, it seemed that the slightest touch of sunlight would make it overheat, also couldn't even play Pokémon Go for 5 minutes without it heating like a 2007 Compaq Presario.

*Charging Time: Boy, I could leave my Priv charging from 2% at 1 AM and by 7 AM it would still be struggling to reach 100%. I have read it can reach 50% in just 36 minutes, is it true?

*Physical Keyboard gestures failures: The physical keyboard’s gestures were so buggy that I ended up disabling them. When sliding for the predictive text sometimes it would freeze and then erase several words I have already wrote.

So what do you say? Should I go for the Key One or change to Asus? I mostly use my phone for work: reading e-mails, pages manager, Adwords, SSH and music. I’m not a game player but for me it is important that at least Pokémon Go runs smoothly on it, which I couldn’t achieve with my Priv since it frequently lags. I also hope the Hub runs faster on the KeyOne that on the Priv.

I really appreciate your comments about your personal experiences, thank you.
    08-06-17 05:59 PM
    The overheat on the Priv is largely due to Qualcomm repeatedly dropping the ball when it came to the Snapdragon 808/810. I haven't heard any reports of the KEYone going supernova like the Priv did.

As for charging, the Priv supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, while the KEYone supports Quick Charge 3.0; the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 isn't so much speed as it is heat while charging, another way the Priv's successors keep heat under control. Were you charging with a Quick Charge charger?

Now, if Pokemon Go is so important, then that might dim the KEYone's hopes; while the Snapdragon 625 is great for multiple lower-intensity tasks, and long battery life, it'll collapse to its knees once Pokemon Go or some other bloated space heater comes along. If it's that important you should spring for a Snapdragon 835/Exynos 8895 (i.e. latest and greatest) phone, like the Galaxy S8, HTC U11 or OnePlus 5.
    Muaya likes this.
    08-06-17 06:06 PM
    Yeah, Pokemon Go will not run smoothly on the keyone, it's a mid tier processor.

That being said, Pokemon Go is such a badly coded app, that it runs like garbage on every phone.

You can have the latest and greatest flagship, and the thing will still lag.

For everything else however, it's up to you if you want to get a Keyone with mid tier specs, or buy something in the same range for $200 less and not deal with your screen falling out.
    08-06-17 06:06 PM
    Yeah, Pokemon Go will not run smoothly on the keyone, it's a mid tier processor.

That being said, Pokemon Go is such a badly coded app, that it runs like garbage on every phone.

You can have the latest and greatest flagship, and the thing will still lag.

For everything else however, it's up to you if you want to get a Keyone with mid tier specs, or buy something in the same range for $200 less and not deal with your screen falling out.
    What a way to discourage someone from getting a KEYone and enjoying it.

OP, I am enjoying my KEYone since June 1st and I can say it's one of the best devices I have owned in a long time. Used the PRIV for over a year.
    08-06-17 06:11 PM
    the important thing is that it runs Arkanoid vs Space invaders perfectly.

Iv completed it now but what a game while it lasts

BTW the keyone is the best phone iv ever used.
    08-06-17 07:03 PM
    I stayed with my Classic when the PRIV came out; the form factor was not appealing to me; I stayed on the sideline and waited for the Keyone, and I'm happy: great keyboard, excellent battery life, charging time is better than Classic. Loving BB10, I was hesitant, but in the end, it's a great device.
    08-06-17 09:34 PM
    sorry, I see you were asking about Priv's failures and I talked about Classic... got my Keyone on June 2 and haven't experienced the issues you had on your Priv.. let us know what you decide!
    08-06-17 09:42 PM
    I have a PRIV for personal use and the K1 for work. Both are great for what I use them for.
    08-07-17 08:37 AM
    I have replaced the PRIV with the KEYone. To me both are great phones. The clear advantage for the KEYone is battery life, as it maybe doubles the Priv's.

I don't know why many people had such a bad experience with the Priv. Mine was fantastic, and I miss that beautiful screen. I still use it everyday to watch my YouTube channels. The SlimPort, absent in the KEYone, is handy.

Lastly, the Priv charges very fast with the proper charger (definitely not the one that comes in the box). Can pick 9V, meaning it actually supports the latest Qualcomm QuickCharging technology (3.0?).
    08-07-17 08:57 AM
    Than you very much thurask, you really gave me a very useful answer. A friend of mine recommended me an Asus 3 Deluxe, which has the same Snapdragon, he says PoGo runs smooth on it. I decided to give that one a chance at least for now, since it doubles the KeyOne specs and halves the price.
    08-12-17 12:29 AM
    Thank you all for your comments, unfortunately I decided to take a break from BB with all the pain of my heart and try an Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe, I got one from BestBuy for just $280 and has much higher specs. Just hope I don't struggle with the virtual keyboard. Anyway I hope to buy another BB soon, either when the KeyOne price drops to something more competitive or if I don't get used to Asus.
    08-12-17 12:36 AM
    Never used an ASUS device, but can speak highly for the software! I hope you can find the device for which you search.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-17 01:29 AM
    What a way to discourage someone from getting a KEYone and enjoying it.
    OP is asking for testimony, not marketing.
    08-12-17 08:54 AM
    OP is asking for testimony, not marketing.
    Wrong forum, then.
    08-12-17 09:14 AM
    Thank you all for your comments, unfortunately I decided to take a break from BB with all the pain of my heart and try an Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe, I got one from BestBuy for just $280 and has much higher specs. Just hope I don't struggle with the virtual keyboard. Anyway I hope to buy another BB soon, either when the KeyOne price drops to something more competitive or if I don't get used to Asus.
    You still can put cobalt's mod to use blackberry vkb on it.
    08-12-17 10:00 AM
    Wrong forum, then.
    Fair enough... although the one I quoted isn't even marketing.
    08-12-17 10:47 AM
    The gestures seem to work better than on Priv IMHO. THe ****ty keys feel better for gestrures, and the gloss look grows on you. But that is the only place it is close.

The K1 feels premium. The priv always felt like it was one large gust of wind from falling appart. The screen issues worry me, but I am fine so far, and if it happens it will likely be in the first year while I am on warranty.

They keyboard is way better. The Priv keyboard had no travel. I went through 3 privs, and they all eventually felt like I was typing on a non-functioning dummy phone. There was just no travel on the keys at all. I really like the K1's keyboard. Keys have a little more resistance that the PP, but I think they will break in.

And more: the version of Android on the k1 is much improved IMHO. The camera is quite a bit bitter.
    08-12-17 01:06 PM
    I'll surely try it.
    Thanks
    08-12-17 10:38 PM
    I'll add my $0.02 here..

BlackBerry user of 12 years. Got the PRIV the day it launched. Happy with the slider and I felt at home. But after 3 months I sold it - due to the SD808 processor and the crappy 3GB/32GB combo. Camera was okay, and the screen was pretty good. I ended up going back to the Classic (I didn't want to sell the Classic until I felt comfortable with a phone). Fast forward a year and a half or so later. Got the KEYone since June 5th. It's a night and day difference(still lags, and it's not the processor that causes this - as I had another SD625 spec'd device). My complaints are simple: clearly India realized 3GB/32GB combo wasn't good enough. Hence why BlackBerry is releasing an updated 4GB/64GB device next month, I will say this: I have a sour taste in my mouth as the Indian version is only $50 CAD or more(which I'd gladly pay). I do have an S8+ that I use for some business use(keeping my social media handy, mobile payments, keeping track of inventory, etc) and I use my KEYone for day to day business/personal stuff like android pay, emails, texts, calls, keeping tabs on $ coming/leaving, etc. I enjoy the keyboard a lot. I'd recommend the KEYone over most devices for business due to the keyboard. This thing keeps me going.

There is no heating(unless I'm charging but that's okay). And the charging time is pretty good(better than my S8+ with an almost identical battery but S8+ only has quick charge 2.0).

I will recommend this: a magnetic qi receiver with usb type-C and a qi magnetic car mount. I have two different ones in my car, one for the KEYone with a receiver plugged into the phone with a case over it and a metal ring for my S8+ and a ring styled qi magnetic car charger. A dream come true.

If BlackBerry/TCL reads this: shame on you realizing 3GB/32GB wasn't enough. Pfft.

Oh, btw: I've disabled all BlackBerry apps(HUB, Productivity tab, shade) and keep a stock Android experience w/ Nova Launcher Prime. I'd recommend it if you want a custom looking device based on YOUR needs.
    08-13-17 04:43 AM
    I finally managed to sell my Priv, which to be honest was a total disappointment for me. I have been a BlackBerry owner for the last 5 years and this has been their only crappy product I've had, so I want to give BB another chance. However I want to be sure that I won't suffer from the following failures I experienced with my Priv:

*Phone overheating: The Priv could be a portable egg cooker, it seemed that the slightest touch of sunlight would make it overheat, also couldn't even play Pokémon Go for 5 minutes without it heating like a 2007 Compaq Presario.

*Charging Time: Boy, I could leave my Priv charging from 2% at 1 AM and by 7 AM it would still be struggling to reach 100%. I have read it can reach 50% in just 36 minutes, is it true?

*Physical Keyboard gestures failures: The physical keyboard’s gestures were so buggy that I ended up disabling them. When sliding for the predictive text sometimes it would freeze and then erase several words I have already wrote.

So what do you say? Should I go for the Key One or change to Asus? I mostly use my phone for work: reading e-mails, pages manager, Adwords, SSH and music. I’m not a game player but for me it is important that at least Pokémon Go runs smoothly on it, which I couldn’t achieve with my Priv since it frequently lags. I also hope the Hub runs faster on the KeyOne that on the Priv.

I really appreciate your comments about your personal experiences, thank you.
    The priv was one of those phones that was compatible with quick charge 2.0 but didn't come with the adapter. I was okay with a long charge since I mostly charged overnight. Recently I started losing power faster and needed a quick charge during the day which was impossible so I finally bought a quick charge 3.0 that was compatible with 2.0 and it's fantastic. Full charge in under 2hrs. Unfortunately not long after I dropped my priv and shattered the screen. This doesn't answer your question but a 3400mah battery is always going to take long to charge without at least 2.0. The keyone is compatible with 3.0 so even better.
    08-14-17 02:10 AM