I've had a new KEYone since Saturday and last night I observed a total freak out. The screen back light started going on and off in an erratic manner, all kinds of scrolling in the app I was using, unresponsiveness, basically a total freak out. I tried to restart but pressing the power button would bring up the restart menu, but then it would disappear before I could hit restart. Eventually had to hold power until the phone restarted.

I've only seen this once, and maybe a smaller version one other time. Let's hope this isn't something defective about my device. I spent hours configuring and the prospect of a replacement was something I was dreading.
    08-02-17 01:35 PM
    I think someone else here had a similar problem. Can't remember the outcome though, it may have been a hardware fault and got replaced. Best is to search through the forum.

Waiting for K1 rev.1
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    08-02-17 01:45 PM
    I've had a new KEYone since Saturday and last night I observed a total freak out. The screen back light started going on and off in an erratic manner, all kinds of scrolling in the app I was using, unresponsiveness, basically a total freak out. I tried to restart but pressing the power button would bring up the restart menu, but then it would disappear before I could hit restart. Eventually had to hold power until the phone restarted.

I've only seen this once, and maybe a smaller version one other time. Let's hope this isn't something defective about my device. I spent hours configuring and the prospect of a replacement was something I was dreading.
    Holding down the power button for 32 seconds is often the "cure" to snap the phone out of erratic behavior. I know it is disconcerting when something like that happens. Yesterday my app to save photos to the SD card was acting up. This hasn't happened before. I think I accidentally took several pictures when the phone was covered. (I had been taking photos and most likely left the photo app open, then put it into one of those walking pouches made of thin material). there were about 10 or so of these black photos. I had trouble deleting the black "photos" it took. I tried taking a photo and it did not show up. Then I did one of those 32 second re-boots. Everything was fine after that. None of the photos I had taken earlier were gone, plus the photo I had taken to test it while it was misbehaving (just before doing the reboot) also showed up.
    08-02-17 02:00 PM
    Holding down the power button for 32 seconds is often the "cure" to snap the phone out of erratic behavior. I know it is disconcerting when something like that happens. Yesterday my app to save photos to the SD card was acting up. This hasn't happened before. I think I accidentally took several pictures when the phone was covered. (I had been taking photos and most likely left the photo app open, then put it into one of those walking pouches made of thin material). there were about 10 or so of these black photos. I had trouble deleting the black "photos" it took. I tried taking a photo and it did not show up. Then I did one of those 32 second re-boots. Everything was fine after that. None of the photos I had taken earlier were gone, plus the photo I had taken to test it while it was misbehaving (just before doing the reboot) also showed up.
    ^^ This - 32 second power button/Hard boot usually solves 90% of freak outs unless truly Hardware defective.
    08-02-17 02:47 PM
    That's quite a long time to hold the power button. Where is this 32 second tip documented?
    08-02-17 05:23 PM
    I did a 32sec reset last night.

This morning while testing VVM on the phone I went into another total flip-out where the backlight was going wild, apps opening on their own, crazy flashing on the home screen, then total unresponsiveness.

It's going back today.

I guess I couldn't get away from the defect curse. Now if I get a replacement what of the other 5-6 KEYone ailments will befall me. This just might not be worth it.

Roveer
    08-03-17 10:47 AM

I had a similar problem on one of my KEYone's. I'm probably the thread you were thinking of. It was so bad I couldn't type in password. So I did it wrong 10 times to force factory reset and it still had the problem.

Just called Telus and told them. They sent me a new one. Been fine ever since.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 08:10 AM

Don't take any chances. Replace. You paid good money for a product, the price of which was justified with reference to its build quality.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-17 08:12 AM
    That's quite a long time to hold the power button. Where is this 32 second tip documented?
    Restart methods for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones
    zephyr613, FF22 and terminatorx like this.
    08-04-17 08:47 AM
    Cest CHIC Le Freak!

Never heard of this FreakOut behavior.
    08-04-17 09:19 AM
    I had a somewhat similar problem with my first KEYone; spoke with tech support, which advised a handful of soft rests, then a hard reset (which is the 32-second option referred to above). I continued to have problems, even after doing five or so hard resets, so I ended up sending the phone back to Amazon as a defective return. I held off for a couple of weeks, then decided to buy another, which arrived a week ago, and the new one is WONDERFUL! I've never been happier with a phone. I'm loving this one and can't imagine any other phone meeting my needs better than the KEYone does.
    08-04-17 02:16 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze! I had never seen that doc before.
    08-04-17 02:43 PM
    Well, my keyone started doing this today. It's absolutely freaking out. It was working fine this morning. Went back to my phone after getting ready and it started losing it.

I initially thought it was some sort of malware. The only thing I installed in that time period was Firefox 56 update. So I uninstalled that and there was no change. I tried multiple resets - no change.

I then resorted to a full factory reset - no change.

Phone has never been dropped, Its a May 26 build date and the screen hasn't fallen out. I have had a finger print scanner issue while charging with this phone in the past which miraculously cured itself, and now this.

Taking the phone back for a replacement tomorrow.
    09-24-17 07:22 PM
    Well, my keyone started doing this today. It's absolutely freaking out. It was working fine this morning. Went back to my phone after getting ready and it started losing it.

I initially thought it was some sort of malware. The only thing I installed in that time period was Firefox 56 update. So I uninstalled that and there was no change. I tried multiple resets - no change.

I then resorted to a full factory reset - no change.

Phone has never been dropped, Its a May 26 build date and the screen hasn't fallen out. I have had a finger print scanner issue while charging with this phone in the past which miraculously cured itself, and now this.

Taking the phone back for a replacement tomorrow.
    Good call. I had one of the KeyOne's that I purchased from Rogers do that. I swapped it out after trying to hard reset the device a few time
    09-24-17 10:11 PM
    wonder if there's any correlation to build dates on this issue.
    09-24-17 11:00 PM
    I"ve had that happen before with the Passport, and it really was from installing an app that didn't agree with the system.
    09-25-17 11:06 AM
    Was going to ask for a replacement after work today. Was still acting up this morning, but when I checked it again 8 hours later, all seems okay (phone was on the whole time). I shot a good video of the screen detecting touch inputs that dont exist, while completely disregarding real inputs attempts.

So I could show them the video of the phone acting up, but I'll hold off on a replacement request for now and see if the problem returns in the next day or so.
    09-25-17 04:23 PM