No one serious about their security should be using Facebook or WhatsApp anyway. No amount of updates or patching can protect users from their own carelessness.

It would be Ike worrying about the quality of the locks on your doors while giving your keys to known burglars.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I think you mean privacy, you aren't really opening yourself up to inherent security risks by using the latest versions of those apps more than you would any other app.
    05-18-19 05:02 PM
    Just saw this in another thread. It shows a May update coming to the Motion! What does this mean? This sounds like great news! Why would the K1 not receive it? What is going on folks? Attachment 444431
    My Motion got that update. It was small. But KEYone BE didn't get it.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-18-19 05:09 PM
    I think you mean privacy, you aren't really opening yourself up to inherent security risks by using the latest versions of those apps more than you would any other app.
    Nope. He means security. And he's right.
    05-19-19 01:15 AM
    Privacy and security are very closely linked, as more than 80% of data breaches include an element of social engineering. That's why, for example, we advise clients never to allow employees to use their work email or phone numbers for social networking, including LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.

If I can find your personal information on LinkedIn or Facebook (including birth date, real phone number, email, city, etc.) it simplifies the work of compromising you by a factor of 100.

So, if targeted attacks are in your threat profile, including doxxing, jealous or vindictive exes, burglars, con artists, cyber criminals, political opponents, authoritarian governments, government or commercial surveillance, etc. there is almost no difference between privacy and security.

IceCreamPlz and Jake2826 like this.
    05-19-19 07:35 AM
    Privacy and security are very closely linked, as more than 80% of data breaches include an element of social engineering. That's why, for example, we advise clients never to allow employees to use their work email or phone numbers for social networking, including LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.

If I can find your personal information on LinkedIn or Facebook (including birth date, real phone number, email, city, etc.) it simplifies the work of compromising you by a factor of 100.

So, if targeted attacks are in your threat profile, including doxxing, jealous or vindictive exes, burglars, con artists, cyber criminals, political opponents, authoritarian governments, government or commercial surveillance, etc. there is almost no difference between privacy and security.

I agree but in my example I was referring to remote code execution security risks on a device. These can happen in any app and even the OS itself so nothing short of being on the latest version of an app or OS could protect against them.
    05-19-19 10:52 AM
    I agree but in my example I was referring to remote code execution security risks on a device. These can happen in any app and even the OS itself so nothing short of being on the latest version of an app or OS could protect against them.
    It also depends on how resilient the OS is to attack.

There is real science to kernel hardening, constantly scanning system files for changes, and not allowing nefarious apps to gain elevated privileges.

You can patch AND you can monitor.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    05-19-19 10:54 AM
    It also depends on how resilient the OS is to attack.

There is real science to kernel hardening, constantly scanning system files for changes, and not allowing nefarious apps to gain elevated privileges.

You can patch AND you can monitor.
    Sure but when an exploit is in the wild this is something we as consumers can't independently verify and certainly shouldn't take a chance on. It's up to the OEM or a third party to release information about.
    05-19-19 11:38 AM
    Sure but when an exploit is in the wild this is something we as consumers can't independently verify and certainly shouldn't take a chance on. It's up to the OEM or a third party to release information about.
    True.

Equally, I would also be concerned about blocking threats that haven't been discovered and patched for - and that's an advantage to better monitoring.
    05-19-19 11:42 AM
    I just received an update notice for my AT&T locked KEYONE. Will update when if it's installed successfully.

TgeekB and Jake2826 like this.
    05-25-19 03:55 PM
    I just received an update notice for my AT&T locked KEYONE. Will update when if it's installed successfully.

That would be May? If so, very promising. Waiting with baited breath!
    05-25-19 04:20 PM
    That would be May? If so, very promising. Waiting with baited breath!
    Yes, May. It's worth noting that the AT&T KEYone launched in August 2017, so it hasn't been two years yet.

05-25-19 05:03 PM
    Yes, May. It's worth noting that the AT&T KEYone launched in August 2017, so it hasn't been two years yet.

Hmmm, ok. I have read many posts stating that original launch date for each model is what counts regardless of variant or carrier. Never been so happy those folks might be wrong. Good to hear! Perhaps there is hope after all that TCL/BBMo do the right thing.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-25-19 05:06 PM
    See all this doom and gloom for nothing. geesh
    05-25-19 08:03 PM
    See all this doom and gloom for nothing. geesh
    I don't know the status for Rogers, which is where the rumor started. They published the word "Final" next to the April update on a Web site, and a customer service agent said BlackBerry wouldn't provide updates after 24 months.

How interesting that BlackBerry obviously HAS produced a May update, so, if Rogers doesn't get it, I don't see how they can blame BlackBerry!

05-25-19 08:12 PM
    Right, carriers can always do what they want. Rogers doesnt speak for all other carrier nor BB. That is why I really didnt give a hoot what Rogers posted. Until NO ONE got the May update I was not going to worry.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    05-25-19 08:18 PM
    I don't know the status for Rogers, which is where the rumor started. They published the word "Final" next to the April update on a Web site, and a customer service agent said BlackBerry wouldn't provide updates after 24 months.

How interesting that BlackBerry obviously HAS produced a May update, so, if Rogers doesn't get it, I don't see how they can blame BlackBerry!

Just curious - what is the update code and patch date?
    05-25-19 08:18 PM
    Right, carriers can always do what they want. Rogers doesnt speak for all other carrier nor BB. That is why I really didnt give a hoot what Rogers posted. Until NO ONE got the May update I was not going to worry.
    Hindsight is 20/20.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-25-19 08:19 PM
    Just curious - what is the update code and patch date?
    May 5, 2019
    Build ABV803

05-25-19 08:38 PM
    May 5, 2019
    Build ABV803

Thanks! Well that's definitely going to be a relief to a lot of people. At least for now.

Hopefully the trend continues.
    05-25-19 08:41 PM
    Thanks! Well that's definitely going to be a relief to a lot of people. At least for now.

Hopefully the trend continues.
    I think the big test will be whether the unlocked versions continue to receive updates. They've already been out for more than 24 months, and there are no carrier restrictions to blame for them.
    05-26-19 12:48 PM
    so, seems KEYᵒⁿᵉ USA PRD-63116-001is singled out for early EOL. Is it the Chinese tariff war we see here? I find BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile and TCL to be a circle of buffoons...

Spreadsheet is below...]

I didn't make this spreadsheet. Conite furnished a link to it on CB...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 05-26-19 at 03:09 PM.
    05-26-19 01:16 PM
    spreadsheet
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone End of Patching Support?-screenshot_20190526-150813.jpg   KEYone End of Patching Support?-screenshot_20190526-150854.jpg   KEYone End of Patching Support?-screenshot_20190526-150909.jpg   KEYone End of Patching Support?-screenshot_20190526-151000.jpg  
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 05-26-19 at 02:15 PM.
    05-26-19 02:03 PM
    Does anyone know if the North American silver KEYone will get any more security patches? Mine is currently on Feb 5 (ABP819). According to the spreadsheets there are more recent updates. The SA KEYone was released at the end of May 2017. PS: it is a US unlocked device.
    05-26-19 03:27 PM
    Does anyone know if the North American silver KEYone will get any more security patches? Mine is currently on Feb 5. According to the spreadsheets there are more recent updates. The SA KEYone was released at the end of May 2017.
    No one knows anything.
    05-26-19 03:30 PM
    No one knows anything.
    Well, that is better than knowing for sure it has stopped. Holding out hope.
    05-26-19 03:41 PM
421 ... 910111213 ...