Might be at least 3 letter upgrades now,

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/13/1...el-beta-update
    I wonder how that would go down. If they deliver the 3rd update, and then immediately stop patches, the user might be in for a rough ride. It takes more than 6 months to tame a new OS.
    05-16-19 10:31 AM
    I wonder how that would go down. If they deliver the 3rd update, and then immediately stop patches, the user might be in for a rough ride. It takes more than 6 months to tame a new OS.
    Yeah the original Pixel had updates end last October with Patches ending this coming October... so a year between Updates and Patches which makes sense. But in the end, these dates are minimums - with Google or Samsung I think a minimum is just that, and you can expect more. They have a vested interest in improving what they offer their long term customers.
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-16-19 10:59 AM
    My Galaxy S7 is still getting security patches... they just moved it from monthly to quarterly. I expect that Google will move to expand support for their Pixel and Android devices in general to better match users keeping them longer.

Who knows how long Samsung will support an S10 or Google will a Pixel 4... might see them matching Apple.
    It also remains to be seen how Treble will impact longterm support. The Pixel might be a good indicator of this.

The Pixel is guaranteed support until at least October of this year so if the Q update is pushed in August it should get at least two more patches.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705

Worst case scenario, you could always unlock the bootloader if Q is a disaster.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    05-16-19 11:04 AM
    Just saw this in another thread. It shows a May update coming to the Motion! What does this mean? This sounds like great news! Why would the K1 not receive it? What is going on folks? KEYone End of Patching Support?-screenshot_20190517-120037.jpeg
    05-17-19 02:03 PM
    Just saw this in another thread. It shows a May update coming to the Motion! What does this mean? This sounds like great news! Why would the K1 not receive it? What is going on folks?
    Motion was Launched in October of 2017 and released in December.... it should see updates for another six or seven months.

What seems to be going on (give it another month to be sure), is they are sticking to what they originally promised... not what was assumed by some.
    05-17-19 02:07 PM
    Just saw this in another thread. It shows a May update coming to the Motion! What does this mean? This sounds like great news! Why would the K1 not receive it? What is going on folks? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190517-120037.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	444431
    motion was release later than the keyone, so its 2 years isnt even up yet. Not saying the keyone wont get it but that is easy to explain away
    05-17-19 02:08 PM
    Motion was Launched in October of 2017 and released in December.... it should see updates for another six or seven months.
    Damn! Thanks, I did feel some joy for a few minutes!
    05-17-19 02:09 PM
    motion was release later than the keyone, so its 2 years isnt even up yet. Not saying the keyone wont get it but that is easy to explain away
    Yeah, forgot they were not released at the same time. Would have been great news!
    05-17-19 02:10 PM

Worst case scenario, you could always unlock the bootloader if Q is a disaster.
    And that's worst case... being that they have already gone above and beyond with the Update... another year of patches doesn't sound too unreasonable.

BUT... this is just a Beta, could be that is as far as it goes for the Pixel.
    05-17-19 02:12 PM
    is easy to explain away
    Too much of that...

There is one hope (if they aren't doing a May update).... Maybe at two years they move to a less costly quarterly update program? That is what Samsung did with my three year old Galaxy S7....

But then that's not what Roger's indicated, and if they were offering more than originally planned.... an announcement would have been a good idea.
    05-17-19 02:24 PM
    Yeah, forgot they were not released at the same time. Would have been great news!
    On the other hand, they do both use the 625 so it's not like they don't have anything in common either...

Not trying to fuel false hope though!
    anon(10387168) and bh7171 like this.
    05-17-19 03:18 PM
    So, is it still a good idea to buy keyone? Now that the price is less than 300€.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-19 03:19 PM
    On the other hand, they do both use the 625 so it's not like they don't have anything in common either...

Not trying to fuel false hope though!
    Can an autoloader be modified from the Motion for the K1? That would be interesting.
    05-17-19 03:23 PM
    Can an autoloader be modified from the Motion for the K1? That would be interesting.
    Pretty sure that would be impossible, at least on a BlackBerry. There are custom ROMs for many other types of Androids, though.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-17-19 03:36 PM
    I thought someone here in the forum said that keyone will get 3 years of security patches. This is very disappointing.
    05-17-19 03:41 PM
    I thought someone here in the forum said that keyone will get 3 years of security patches. This is very disappointing.
    The Android Enterprise Recommended program implied that it would.

But reality seems to be pointing to what was initially promised by BBMo - 2 years.

We won't know conclusively for 90 days. They could theoretically switch to quarterly updates during the 3rd year and remain compliant.
    05-17-19 04:00 PM
    A statement, a word, a whisper, anything from them is better than nothing! Don't you think?
    elfabio80, John Albert and BBuso77 like this.
    05-17-19 04:07 PM
    The Android Enterprise Recommended program implied that it would.

But reality seems to be pointing to what was initially promised by BBMo - 2 years.

We won't know conclusively for 90 days. They could theoretically switch to quarterly updates during the 3rd year and remain compliant.

Perhaps this is the best solution to keep both enterprise and BlackBerry Mobile clients happy and still honor their agreement with the Enterprise recommended program.

How much could it possibly cost to provide 3-4 more updates over the course of 12 months or so? Just the loss of some Key 2 sales and the reputation risk for BlackBerry Ltd should be enough to keep everybody engaged for the 3 years.

Hopefully it's not the end

Posted via CB10
    05-17-19 04:29 PM
    So, is it still a good idea to buy keyone? Now that the price is less than 300€.

Posted via CB10
    If you care about security updates I'd save that and wait for the Key3, I'd be hesitant about the Key2 at this point as well since it may only have 1 year of updates left if the KeyOne is anything to go by.
    05-17-19 05:48 PM
    They could theoretically switch to quarterly updates during the 3rd year and remain compliant.
    I'd be happy with quarterly updates from the get-go. Would much prefer a longer support life at the expense of more timely updates.
    05-17-19 06:43 PM
    If you care about security updates I'd save that and wait for the Key3, I'd be hesitant about the Key2 at this point as well since it may only have 1 year of updates left if the KeyOne is anything to go by.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    How much time can I steel use a K1 after the last update? What are the danger if I use the phone after that update...thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-19 01:23 AM
    Thanks for the explanation.
    How much time can I steel use a K1 after the last update? What are the danger if I use the phone after that update...thanks.

Posted via CB10
    To be honest, it's all down to how long you'd feel comfortable using it for. Some people use phones for years after the last update but some drop it right away. Once security updates end it basically means any vulnerabilities or security issues in the OS will no longer be fixed.

With careful use I think anyone with a KeyOne should be fine until a major security issue is discovered but realistically, this could be counted in months.
    05-18-19 11:55 AM
    To be honest, it's all down to how long you'd feel comfortable using it for. Some people use phones for years after the last update but some drop it right away. Once security updates end it basically means any vulnerabilities or security issues in the OS will no longer be fixed.

With careful use I think anyone with a KeyOne should be fine until a major security issue is discovered but realistically, this could be counted in months.
    By "Careful Use", you mean not having any sensitive personal, business and financial apps in use on an unsecured device? Correct? Then what would be the point of holding on to it after EOL? My mom, who is 87 has my old Samsung S4 and I wouldn't dream of putting anything sensitive on it. For me, EOL means ready for the heap unless it's used as just a basic phone. Even then, your contacts are vulnerable. What am I missing?
    05-18-19 01:57 PM
    By "Careful Use", you mean not having any sensitive personal, business and financial apps in use on an unsecured device? Correct? Then what would be the point of holding on to it after EOL? My mom, who is 87 has my old Samsung S4 and I wouldn't dream of putting anything sensitive on it. For me, EOL means ready for the heap unless it's used as just a basic phone. Even then, your contacts are vulnerable. What am I missing?
    Yeah pretty much that and be careful about the apps you install, the sites you visit, the emails you open, etc. But even these would be useless against something like Stagefright or that recent WhatsApp exploit as they didn't need user input to work.

I would never buy or gift an EOL smartphone to use as a daily driver for those reasons. I would only keep using an EOL device that I already owned if I was waiting for an upgrade that wasn't far off (i.e., Key3).
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-18-19 04:24 PM
    Yeah pretty much that and be careful about the apps you install, the sites you visit, the emails you open, etc. But even these would be useless against something like Stagefright or that recent WhatsApp exploit as they didn't need user input to work.

I would never buy or gift an EOL smartphone to use as a daily driver for those reasons. I would only keep using an EOL device that I already owned if I was waiting for an upgrade that wasn't far off (i.e., Key3).
    No one serious about their security should be using Facebook or WhatsApp anyway. No amount of updates or patching can protect users from their own carelessness.

It would be Ike worrying about the quality of the locks on your doors while giving your keys to known burglars.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    chain13 and Jake2826 like this.
    05-18-19 04:32 PM
421 ... 89101112 ...