In the separate conversation about the Rogers update for April being marked "FINAL", a response from Rogers stated that it was BlackBerry who was ending patching for the KEYONE after two years.

If that turns out to be the policy for all KEYone variants, I'm curious what that means for you.

I will continue using my KEYone for the foreseeable future. The thing still feels brand new and I'm not ready to consider replacing it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-27-19 03:24 PM
    In the separate conversation about the Rogers update for April being marked "FINAL", a response from Rogers stated that it was BlackBerry who was ending patching for the KEYONE after two years.

If that turns out to be the policy for all KEYone variants, I'm curious what that means for you.

I will continue using my KEYone for the foreseeable future. The thing still feels brand new and I'm not ready to consider replacing it.

I am on Verizon. What are these update things you speak of? Lol
    04-27-19 03:38 PM
    I am on Verizon. What are these update things you speak of? Lol
    This are the security patches (for the most secure Android smartphone...)
    04-27-19 03:40 PM
    This are the security patches (for the most secure Android smartphone...)
    But in all serousness. If it is an all variants issue. Won't bother me. My Keyone in is a secondary backup to me at this point. My main is the atomic key2 and my backup is the atomic le.
    04-27-19 03:46 PM
    I'm wondering when the clock starts for the two year support period, since if it started in April 2017 upon first KEYone release, that means the black KEYone has just one year of software support. If not, since the black KEYone is exactly that, that means it's just the paint separating supported and not supported.

Moreover, since it was like that for the DTEKs, Priv, and now the KEYone, assume any BB-branded device to have at most two years of patches and 0-1 Android version upgrade.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    04-27-19 05:42 PM
    I'm wondering when the clock starts for the two year support period, since if it started in April 2017 upon first KEYone release, that means the black KEYone has just one year of software support. If not, since the black KEYone is exactly that, that means it's just the paint separating supported and not supported.

Moreover, since it was like that for the DTEKs, Priv, and now the KEYone, assume any BB-branded device to have at most two years of patches and 0-1 Android version upgrade.
    But supposedly BlackBerry agreed to a three yearAndroid Enterprise Recommended program. Perhaps just for the USA market?? Ditch the program and what ?
    04-27-19 05:48 PM

That is the question that will be interesting to see the answer. But till we hear otherwise, all this is based on a Rodgers update and employee. Personally I am fine either way. ( speaking on my key2. If it goes off the original release date of the key2 or goes off the release date of the atomic)
    04-27-19 05:48 PM
    But supposedly BlackBerry agreed to a three yearAndroid Enterprise Recommended program. Perhaps just for the USA market?? Ditch the program and what ?
    The page for the KEYone doesn't specify any specific variant. That the listing says 4GB RAM and 64GB storage might hint at just being the black KEYone as certified (as does the photo)*, but that brings us back to pulling the plug on the silver but not the black. It's the same phone other than the paint, RAM, and storage, and the extra space and RAM isn't enough of a differentiating characteristic to prevent updating the silver.

This all assumes that TCL is actually serious about the enterprise recommended program, mind you.

* the KEY2LE and KEY2 pages mention both storage size options
    04-27-19 05:56 PM
    As far as I can tell all of the BBmo devices are listed but that was then. It is possible the only penalty is removal from the list. I also suspect that Google may have given up on the whole idea. Enterprise users not really needing such a list ( except possibly the bank that was going to buy 10,000 Key2's).
    04-27-19 09:08 PM
    It's looking more and more as if BBMo was just using android enterprise as a trojan horse to sell phones, and fake an extra year of support for as long as they could get away with it. Sad!

This seems to be the BBMo formula: Model X gets 2 years of updates and one letter upgrade starting from Model X launch. Paint job model X variants get updates as long as Model X gets them.

Of course the above is the best case scenario. Your device could also get DTEK'd at any time without notice, such as the Sprint KeyONE.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    04-27-19 10:55 PM
    well I got mine 3 days ago and if this applicable to all ketone (UK) then I'll still use mine until at least next year as I think I can still what I need out of it until I can afford a key2
    04-27-19 11:18 PM

Ill still be using mine for a while, I tend to hold onto and make my phones work until it breaks
    04-28-19 02:00 AM
    I am very happy with my KeyOne BE and also will not change too soon even if updates should run out. I however wonder, how insecure a non-updated BB KeyOne would actually be. After all, from what I understood, KeyOne's Android has been heavily modified to have a more secure System plus there is the DTEK App. And browsers are frequently updated anyway. So unless you install APKs from unknown sources or you turn on some wird settings - what could actually happen to the Average Joe using his KeyOne?
    04-28-19 02:48 AM
    It's always been the case, industry-wide, that support for a model of phone starts on its release, and any later variants of that model are still on the original version's schedule. It's nothing new to TCL or even BB. I don't know why anyone is shocked that a color variation doesn't "reset the clock" when that's never been how the smartphone industry has operated.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-28-19 03:31 AM

My KEYone BE is literally a couple of weeks old, bought it brand new for $279 on Amazon. Not sweating this announcement. It'll run just fine for quite some time. For that matter, so will my Motion.
    04-28-19 06:50 AM
    I am very happy with my KeyOne BE and also will not change too soon even if updates should run out. I however wonder, how insecure a non-updated BB KeyOne would actually be. After all, from what I understood, KeyOne's Android has been heavily modified to have a more secure System plus there is the DTEK App. And browsers are frequently updated anyway. So unless you install APKs from unknown sources or you turn on some wird settings - what could actually happen to the Average Joe using his KeyOne?
    You're probably correct that conservative use of the KEYone is very safe, and will be for a long time for typical individual users who are not likely to be singled out and targeted.

Use proper cyber hygiene (multifactor authentication for accounts, strong, unique passwords, reputable apps from the Google Play store, etc., and remove apps you use infrequently), and you should be fine.

If you use your phone to connect to work, speak with your information security team and ask them about using a phone with Oreo patched through April.
    04-28-19 07:05 AM
    Have to laugh...I just checked for updates and ABT975 came down. Upstate New York on AT&T with unlocked Black Edition.
    04-28-19 07:22 AM
    Google Play Services and Play Protect playing key role in Android Security. So no worries.
    bh7171 and chain13 like this.
    04-28-19 07:31 AM
    It's always been the case, industry-wide, that support for a model of phone starts on its release, and any later variants of that model are still on the original version's schedule. It's nothing new to TCL or even BB. I don't know why anyone is shocked that a color variation doesn't "reset the clock" when that's never been how the smartphone industry has operated.
    That's true actually. When people buy a brand new KeyONE for almost half of what it sold for at launch, they should realize what it's really worth - instead of believing the lies, inaccuracies, and half-truths they read on CrackBerry!
    04-28-19 08:03 AM
    Google Play Services and Play Protect playing key role in Android Security. So no worries.
    Is that the same as monthly patches or for minor flaws that need patching. Can you elaborate please.
    04-28-19 09:42 AM
    These articles explain how android system solves the problem of update and security.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.how...ce-anyway/amp/

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...t-android.html
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-28-19 10:22 AM
    Is a KEYone without security patches more secure than a LG etc after a two year cycle?

https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/business/

By promoting that their devices are Android Enterprise Recommended, is BBmo not promising a three year cycle?
    04-28-19 10:37 AM
    Is a KEYone without security patches more secure than a LG.
    That depends on the threat model. Definitely yes for some threats; definitely no for others.

By promoting that their devices are Android Enterprise Recommended, are they not promising a three year cycle?
    Yes, they definitely are.
    04-28-19 10:39 AM
    These articles explain how android system solves the problem of update and security.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.how...ce-anyway/amp/

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...t-android.html
    This has nothing to do with the monthly security patches which are delivered to the manufacturers.
    04-28-19 10:41 AM
    Is a KEYone without security patches more secure than a LG etc after a two year cycle?

https://blackberrymobile.com/ca/business/

By promoting that their devices are Android Enterprise Recommended, is BBmo not promising a three year cycle?
    Google promised it, here it was often published, people believed it and bought the BBMo devices. Me, too.
    04-28-19 10:44 AM
421 123 ...