Your negativity is a disaster.

The KEYone is an outstanding phone and will make many people very happy. Except of the majority of this forum of course. They all want their 9900 back and don't like innovation.
    Except....there is no innovation with your beloved KEYOne? What is on the KEYOne that we haven't already seen on other phones available right now?
    02-27-17 05:52 AM
    Battery life and greatest KB since 9000, maybe ?

"Let a Z30 flirt with a Passport, you'll get the KEYone"
    02-27-17 05:55 AM
    Battery life and greatest KB since 9000, maybe ?

"Let a Z30 do dirty things with a passport, you'll get the KEYone"
    All they've done is shove a big battery and snapdragon in for efficiency. That's not innovation. Innovation is providing something new. The LG X Power has a great battery life - it's not innovation, it's just coupling a good battery with an efficient processor.

My question still stands.
    02-27-17 05:58 AM
    First of all how many people REALLY care about the processors? I bet you 90% (or more) of Apple and Android users doesn't even know what's the processor of their phones.
    02-27-17 07:04 AM
    First of all how many people REALLY care about the processors? I bet you 90% (or more) of Apple and Android users doesn't even know what's the processor of their phones.
    But those 90% care only because they are conditioned to care.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-27-17 07:26 AM
    Can't agree more with all of your opinions. The naming strategist in Blackberry is a dumb one. And the presentation could hardly be worse.
    Uh...Blackberry can't be blamed for a name they didn't choose. TCL has the license for BlackBerry hardware and can call it anything they please.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-27-17 07:56 AM
    I think the price is high. Look at the Motorola G5 Plus it will cost 280 Euro which is less then half price of K1 and it has 1 GB of RAM in addition.
    Attachment 418238
    Attachment 418239

Posted via CB10
    No keyboard.
    Doesn't have 52 shortcuts to contacts and apps
    No guarantee of monthly security patches
    Hub+ without ads not included
    No DTEK
    No hardened Android Kernel

I'll trade the processor and RAM that I don't need for the stuff I value all day long.

02-27-17 07:59 AM
    No keyboard.
    Doesn't have 52 shortcuts to contacts and apps
    No guarantee of monthly security patches
    Hub+ without ads not included
    No DTEK
    No hardened Android Kernel

I'll trade the processor and RAM that I don't need for the stuff I value all day long.

I don't think is normal to pay an additional amount of 300 Euro only for that.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    To be fair there's really no pkb market to establish what is normal.

The Passport was $699, and the KEYone is $549 USD. That's all we really know.

I don't know how much the manufacturing infrastructure, the research and development , and the specialize parts really cost for a production run as low as this. But I would assume it's a lot more expensive then a traditional mass produced slab.
    02-27-17 08:04 AM
    To be fair there's really no pkb market to establish what is normal.

The Passport was $699, and the KEYone is $549 USD. That's all we really know.

I don't know how much the manufacturing infrastructure, the research and development , and the specialize parts really cost for a production run as low as this. But I would assume it's a lot more expensive then a traditional slab.
    I'm complaining also for another reason. I have always purchased in the initial releasing month and for that I have paid every time an 100 euro plus. I cannot wait for 2-3 months :-).

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:08 AM
    Disaster for who? The guys who want to play games the entire day? Consume hours of media content?

This wasn't built for that,

Blackberry is for the working professional , not for the average kid looking to snap chat and instagram what he eats for dinner .
    Hi, are you visiting here from 2007?
    MikeX74 likes this.
    02-27-17 08:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. But the KEYone is not a normal phone, and it's customers, if any, won't be "normal" Android phone buyers.

It simply doesn't make sense for Blackberry Mobile to target the mainstream commodity market segment for Android phones. This is a niche phone for a niche market, and value-oriented consumers are not the target demographic.

Midrange hardware, a unique form factor, work-oriented apps and UI, and great build quality and battery life appeal to professionals like me who just want an phone that works efficiently all day every day.

The only games I'm likely to play are Chess and Go. All other games will be on other platforms.

The only videos I'm likely to watch are marketing , technical, and training videos for work. All other media will be played on larger screens.

So, why would I want waste battery life on a faster processor or more RAM?

02-27-17 08:19 AM
    I agree with you. But the KEYone is not a normal phone, and it's customers, if any, won't be "normal" Android phone buyers.

It simply doesn't make sense for Blackberry Mobile to target the mainstream commodity market segment for Android phones. This is a niche phone for a niche market, and value-oriented consumers are not the target demographic.

Midrange hardware, a unique form factor, work-oriented apps and UI, and great build quality and battery life appeal to professionals like me who just want an phone that works efficiently all day every day.

The only games I'm likely to play are Chess and Go. All other games will be on other platforms.

The only videos I'm likely to watch are marketing , technical, and training videos for work. All other media will be played on larger screens.

Agreed. TCL will be selling to the general consumer market their Alcatel brand. The Blackberry brand is targeted to professionals.

There are valid arguments that the latter market doesn't really exist in any real numbers. But at least with TCL, they don't need the numbers that BlackBerry did.
    02-27-17 08:21 AM

You are the target market. I fall into that category too, but I still want a more premium device. I hope the KEYone satisfies me for two years.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:41 AM
    You are the target market. I fall into that category too, but I still want a more premium device. I hope the KEYone satisfies me for two years.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea what TCL's expectations are for the sales of this device, but I would pretty much guarantee that if they are met, we will see more devices built on the same chassis - with a range of specs. At least one higher, and one lower.
    krazyatom likes this.
    02-27-17 08:50 AM
    I have no idea what TCL's expectations are for the sales of this device, but I would pretty much guarantee that if they are met, we will see more devices built on the same chassis - with a range of specs. At least one higher, and one lower.
    I sincerely hope so. It's not all about internals either, I remember the Bolds with their lovely leather backs and the weight of the metal that was not Aluminium (steel I think, but could be chrome). The lovely gunmetal on the Torch 9800 etc. Those were the days.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:54 AM
    I hope we see that as well. That is what BlackBerry (now TCL) failed to do in almost every phone they have ever made...build on a solid design 'chassis' instead of re-inventing the wheel. I was serious when I stated before this might be the last phone BlackBerry ever needs to design....now is the time to perfect and refine. The icon lives!
    02-27-17 08:57 AM
    I agree with you except on RAM matter. RAM is never enough. 3GB is already outdated at launch. All the content demands more and more RAM as months/years go by. In 2 years, multitasking on this phone would be a pain.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 09:02 AM
    Agreed. TCL will be selling to the general consumer market their Alcatel brand. The Blackberry brand is targeted to professionals.

There are valid arguments that the latter market doesn't really exist in any real numbers. But at least with TCL, they don't need the numbers that BlackBerry did.
    Well, we know for sure that that market was not easy to penetrate for BlackBerry, for either BB10 or Android, with their limited resources and experience in consumer marketing.

One could argue that Apple has been successful in that segment.

The question of whether or not TCL can stake out that territory for Android and effectively create a new market category is up in the air. But, from what I can tell, The KEYone seems to be pretty well positioned for them to find out, especially if they can garner carrier support.

In conversations I had this week with salespeople at AT&T and T-Mobile In the US, TCL is seen as a trusted and highly competent partner, which BlackBerry hadn't been since at least 2014.

02-27-17 09:09 AM
    * Price (in Canada!) would be C$: 812 + 93.40 = 811.80
    Wait, what???
    02-27-17 09:26 AM
    I take my statement back... its not a disaster for us crackberrians, but for the rest of the world... i dont see any non- BlackBerry affecionado buying this... and i want this company to survive... my Z30 is no match for the android flagships of today but i refuse to let go of it. This is because of a very weird emotional bond i have with my device. I almost consider it family. So even though i know what the keyone will be a slow phone for its price... i will probably buy it a year from now probably in refurbished condition so the price is around 350-400$. This is what we are... we use BlackBerry cuz we love what it stands for... the security, the productivity, the longetivity, the reliability and the feeling of getting s-h-i-t done is something we just cant let go.

The point iam trying to make is... this phone has to appeal to the general consumer not to the "power professionals " if the company wants to be profitable. We are a very small part of the general demographic and even if each person who has a crackberry account bought 2 keyones it still wouldn't be enough.

This is coming from my heart since i love BlackBerry and i have developed an emotional connection with my Z30... this is why i say the keyone is a disaster albeit one that we will love no matter what.

Most of you probably won't understand why iam dissappointed in the keyone... i dont expect you to.
    Its not the phone... its the fact that this thing aint gonna sell well

Posted via my BlackBerry KEYone (but u know i am lying)
    02-27-17 09:32 AM
    Wait, what???
    Math-challenged. $699 + tax most likely. Maybe as high as $729.
    02-27-17 09:35 AM
    my Z30 is no match for the android flagships of today but i refuse to let go of it. This is because of a very weird emotional bond i have with my device. I almost consider it family.
    Have you considered, you know....proposing to your Z30? If you feel this way about her... what name have you given her?

On a serious note: I fully agree with you. I don't think this will sell and might even sell worse than the Priv. That's just my predictions. I hope i'm wrong. I will pick one up when they're £300-399. Until then I will take a back seat and watch what happens.
    02-27-17 09:41 AM
    I think the price is high. Look at the Motorola G5 Plus it will cost 280 Euro which is less then half price of K1 and it has 1 GB of RAM in addition.
    Attachment 418238
    Attachment 418239

Posted via CB10
    FWIW G5 Plus has multiple versions actually, the base price only comes with 3/32.

It's still not a direct competitor though, Z Play is.
    02-27-17 09:47 AM
    All they've done is shove a big battery and snapdragon in for efficiency
    Where's keyboard in your response ?
    Isn't that obvious that it IS the innovation on his segment - Android ?
    Not only it is an innovation (90% + of user base NEVER used a PKB before besides dumb phones) but it's a singularity.
    02-27-17 09:58 AM
446 ... 910111213 ...