Hello everyone.

So, I bought the BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition based on the recommendation I received on this forum and so far I absolutely love it! Coming from the Priv I didn't miss the big screen at all! The battery life is insane!

But I have a problem. Just today I noticed anytime I click on the "Check Battery Level" icon or I click on the battery icon from the notifications menu, my app launcher just crashes, resets, and the phone locks. I don't get a "bla bla bla stopped working" message, it just crashes, locks the phone and goes back to the lock screen.

This ONLY happens when I click the battery icon (to access the battery stats). It doesn't matter where from, accessing the battery stats causes this weird crash!

Can anyone help me find a solution? I already tried clearing the cache for all the apps using CCleaner and I tried several reboots, no luck at all.

Thank you all in advance.
    11-28-17 01:30 PM
    Hello everyone.

So, I bought the BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition based on the recommendation I received on this forum and so far I absolutely love it! Coming from the Priv I didn't miss the big screen at all! The battery life is insane!

But I have a problem. Just today I noticed anytime I click on the "Check Battery Level" icon or I click on the battery icon from the notifications menu, my app launcher just crashes, resets, and the phone locks. I don't get a "bla bla bla stopped working" message, it just crashes, locks the phone and goes back to the lock screen.

This ONLY happens when I click the battery icon (to access the battery stats). It doesn't matter where from, accessing the battery stats causes this weird crash!

Can anyone help me find a solution? I already tried clearing the cache for all the apps using CCleaner and I tried several reboots, no luck at all.

Thank you all in advance.
    When you say "restarts" did you hold the power button for 32 seconds (ignore screen antics and vibrations).

There's also trying Safe Mode

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.

If that fails you might investigate reloading the OS using an Autoloader:

You might have to reload the OS if other normal actions have failed. How long have you had it and how long is this happening?
    sandyhois likes this.
    11-28-17 03:59 PM
    When you say "restarts" did you hold the power button for 32 seconds (ignore screen antics and vibrations).

There's also trying Safe Mode

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.

If that fails you might investigate reloading the OS using an Autoloader:

You might have to reload the OS if other normal actions have failed. How long have you had it and how long is this happening?
    Thank you very much for your reply! This started happening today, no new apps were installed at all. Just usual updates happen overnight.

What I mean by restart is that the interface goes "black" and it goes back to the "lock screen". I don't see any error message but I just can't see the battery stats at all. I can enable power saver mode from the options but I cannot view the stats.

I just tried to go into SAFE MODE as per your description above and the problem is still there.

How can I perform a "wipe cache"? I can't access recovery on this phone like my other Android devices. I have no idea what happened to it. It is barely 3 weeks old and I don't use it all that much.

Is installing the OS again = full erase? I would really prefer not to do that
    11-28-17 04:38 PM
    Thank you very much for your reply! This started happening today, no new apps were installed at all. Just usual updates happen overnight.

What I mean by restart is that the interface goes "black" and it goes back to the "lock screen". I don't see any error message but I just can't see the battery stats at all. I can enable power saver mode from the options but I cannot view the stats.

I just tried to go into SAFE MODE as per your description above and the problem is still there.

How can I perform a "wipe cache"? I can't access recovery on this phone like my other Android devices. I have no idea what happened to it. It is barely 3 weeks old and I don't use it all that much.

Try the Press/hold power button for 32 seconds.

If you check the Sticky threads you will see the autoloader or OS load threads. There is a way to edit the batch file (on computer) to avoid ERASING the entire device. If you have questions, you can ask in that thread. Folks are very helpful.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    11-28-17 04:51 PM

Go into the phone settings. Then go to storage and click on "internal". Click on cached data to clear it. Give it a couple seconds to clear then Reboot the phone and then see if that fixes the issue.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    11-28-17 04:53 PM

If you check the Sticky threads you will see the autoloader or OS load threads. There is a way to edit the batch file (on computer) to avoid ERASING the entire device. If you have questions, you can ask in that thread. Folks are very helpful.
    Thank you very much I will check it out and let you know what happens.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-28-17 05:19 PM

Wow, this 32 seconds trick did it! My phone rebooted several times as I held the power button and when it came back on it was fixed! THANK YOU SO MUCH! It almost drove me nuts!

Go into the phone settings. Then go to storage and click on "internal". Click on cached data to clear it. Give it a couple seconds to clear then Reboot the phone and then see if that fixes the issue.
    I didn't get to try this as the 32 second power button hold fixed it! But I will certainly keep this in mind as well if I face any further trouble.

Thank you for the quick and prompt replies folks. Much appreciated.
    11-29-17 01:37 AM
    Wow, this 32 seconds trick did it! My phone rebooted several times as I held the power button and when it came back on it was fixed! THANK YOU SO MUCH! It almost drove me nuts!

I didn't get to try this as the 32 second power button hold fixed it! But I will certainly keep this in mind as well if I face any further trouble.

Keep the cache clearing in mind though as it is recommended every once in a while to clear up any potential corrupt files that will cause slow downs. I typically clear it when it get to 1 or 1.5 gig. It will keep you device running smoothly.
    Glad the reboot worked for you.
    Darkangel_86 and FF22 like this.
    11-29-17 06:03 AM
    Keep the cache clearing in mind though as it is recommended every once in a while to clear up any potential corrupt files that will cause slow downs. I typically clear it when it get to 1 or 1.5 gig. It will keep you device running smoothly.
    Glad the reboot worked for you.
    Will do! Thank you very much! I still don't really know what the 32 seconds hold did exactly because I actually rebooted the phone normally a few times before and it didn't fix it. Maybe it reset the UI or something? It's interesting!

Is running CCleaner the same as manually clearing the cache? It does clean cache but I'm not sure if it is the same as wiping it manually.

I read somewhere that Google is trying to fight and kill all the apps that utilize the "accessibility" exploit to gain access to O.S. altering functions... It would be a shame to lose them since Button Mapper and many other apps rely on that feature to function!
    11-29-17 08:36 AM

The "32 Second" Power Button is suppose to work like what use to be a "Battery Pull." It really cycles some process or processes to clear issues/errors. Now, it does not always fix all things. It can sometimes break through a complete lock up where nothing seems to be working including pressing the Power Button in a normal quick move.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    11-29-17 08:59 AM
    The "32 Second" Power Button is suppose to work like what use to be a "Battery Pull." It really cycles some process or processes to clear issues/errors. Now, it does not always fix all things. It can sometimes break through a complete lock up where nothing seems to be working including pressing the Power Button in a normal quick move.
    Ah! Thank you for the clarification! Yep, disadvantages of "sealed-in" batteries. That's one thing I wish BlackBerry kept on the KeyOne. A removable battery would have made the phone PERFECT in my opinion.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-29-17 09:03 AM
    Will do! Thank you very much! I still don't really know what the 32 seconds hold did exactly because I actually rebooted the phone normally a few times before and it didn't fix it. Maybe it reset the UI or something? It's interesting!

Is running CCleaner the same as manually clearing the cache? It does clean cache but I'm not sure if it is the same as wiping it manually.

I read somewhere that Google is trying to fight and kill all the apps that utilize the "accessibility" exploit to gain access to O.S. altering functions... It would be a shame to lose them since Button Mapper and many other apps rely on that feature to function!
    I personally would avoid those cache cleaning apps or antivirus apps. Clearing it yourself is the way to go.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    11-29-17 09:27 AM
    Sounds good, I actually removed CCLeaner after the phone got fixed. I just dislike how everything is a background service now a days, even something as simple as a cache cleaner - so it was deleted.
    ray689 and FF22 like this.
    11-29-17 09:31 AM
    the 12 second restart is equal to a battery pull.
    the 32 second reboot as far as I can tell is a dalvik cache wipe. (dalvik is not the same as app cache)

Dalvik is the virtual machine that is used by Android. It is generally thought of as a Java virtual machine, although this is not precisely correct. It uses an object model that is identical to Java, and its memory model is also nearly equivalent. But the dalvik VM is a register based VM, as opposed to Java VMs, which are stack based.

Accordingly, it uses a completely different bytecode than Java. However, the Android SDK includes the dx tool to translate Java bytecode to dalvik bytecode, which is why you are able to write Android applications in Java.

When you say "dalvik-cache", I assume you mean the /data/dalvik-cache directory that can be found on typical Android devices. When you install an application on Android, it performs some modifications and optimizations on that application's dex file (the file that contains all the dalvik bytecode for the application). It then caches the resulting odex (optimized dex) file in the /data/dalvik-cache directory, so that it doesn't have to perform the optimization process every time it loads an application.
    sandyhois and Darkangel_86 like this.
    12-03-17 01:33 AM
    clearing or wiping the dalvik cache is recommended after a system update to wipe anything left behind from previous versions of software that can and most likely cause lockups. only problem is blackberry updates do not clear this during updates and they have recovery mode (the typical area that most manufacturers use to allow you to do this operation) locked out.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    12-03-17 01:38 AM
    this is why I believe the 32 second reboot is a dalvik cache wipe. also I think it also does a battery stats wipe as well.
    Darkangel_86 likes this.
    12-03-17 01:40 AM
    the 32 second reboot depends how user counts... I go by the fact the reboot screen lights up THREE times during the 32 seconds, the third just after the 32 seconds have elapsed... so look at the screen and the THIRD time it lights up is the winner...
    FF22 and Darkangel_86 like this.
    12-03-17 03:38 PM