Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    An agent at my local Verizon store in North Carolina told me that the Keyone CDMA version (100-3) will not work on Verizon after December 31, 2019. Does anyone have confirmation of this?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-19 07:36 PM
    An agent at my local Verizon store in North Carolina told me that the Keyone CDMA version (100-3) will not work on Verizon after December 31, 2019. Does anyone have confirmation of this?

Posted via CB10
    CDMA is supposed to be discontinued on Verizon on that date.
    10-09-19 12:41 AM
    Your K1 has LTE, and will continue to work just fine. CDMA, which is only used for phone calls today, is going away, and the frequencies being re-farmed for LTE or 5G, depending on the area.
    10-09-19 02:26 AM
    Your K1 has LTE, and will continue to work just fine. CDMA, which is only used for phone calls today, is going away, and the frequencies being re-farmed for LTE or 5G, depending on the area.
    But, will the KEYᵒⁿᵉ necessarily be authorised for CDMA-less usage? The nuts and bolts of the provisioning are quite different.
    Last edited by conite; 10-09-19 at 10:08 AM.
    10-09-19 08:28 AM
    Obviously there are a ton of phones that are going to need to be reprovisioned, as there are many millions of hybrid CDMA/LTE phones on Verizon's network. Verizon is obviously going to have to push out changes to these phones, and I presume that will be done just before they shut off CDMA. But there's nothing about the K1 that would prevent that process from happening.
    10-09-19 10:56 AM
    Didn't Verizon come back and say it would be at the end of 2020 now?

Keyone CDMA (Verizon) support ending?-cdma_chart.jpg

Sounds like if you have a device working it will keep working... at least till the end of 2020.

But unless they approve it, you might not could active a KEYone.
    10-09-19 11:27 AM
    The K1 supports "HD Voice" (i.e., VoLTE), so the only reason it wouldn't keep working on Verizon is if Verizon actively blocked it. Even the BB10 phones support VoLTE, and should continue to work, but being older devices with fewer LTE bands, it's possible that band refarming may make them unable to get a signal in certain areas. The K1 and later phones, with more LTE bands, is less likely to run into that problem as soon.

BBOS phones will be useless, though, as they won't be able to get voice or data via cellular networks on Verizon once CDMA is shut down. That's certain to impact a few dozen people...
    10-10-19 01:30 AM
    Obviously there are a ton of phones that are going to need to be reprovisioned, as there are many millions of hybrid CDMA/LTE phones on Verizon's network. Verizon is obviously going to have to push out changes to these phones, and I presume that will be done just before they shut off CDMA. But there's nothing about the K1 that would prevent that process from happening.
    Yes true, but I fear they will take the easy approach and only update popular phones. This is the best way for them to force and upgrade.
    10-10-19 05:42 PM
    Didn't Verizon come back and say it would be at the end of 2020 now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdma_chart.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	446409

Sounds like if you have a device working it will keep working... at least till the end of 2020.

But unless they approve it, you might not could active a KEYone.
    Problem is the dates keep moving. I think it will depend more on market/location. As always with any BlackBerry its never easy!
    10-10-19 05:43 PM
    Yes true, but I fear they will take the easy approach and only update popular phones. This is the best way for them to force and upgrade.
    BlackBerry Android devices are no different than any other BYOD android device on VZW. I'm sure they have plans to transition BYOD's to LTE-only as long as the device can support.

Let's not get jumpy over this. There are clearly other things in the BlackBerry ecosystem to get jumpy about.
    10-10-19 11:06 PM
    BlackBerry Android devices are no different than any other BYOD android device on VZW. I'm sure they have plans to transition BYOD's to LTE-only as long as the device can support.

Let's not get jumpy over this. There are clearly other things in the BlackBerry ecosystem to get jumpy about.
    Yet Verizon chose not to provide the KEYᵒⁿᵉ with Oreo. They do some weird things sometimes. I wouldn't count my chicks before they hatch.
    10-10-19 11:18 PM
    Yet Verizon chose not to provide the KEYᵒⁿᵉ with Oreo. They do some weird things sometimes. I wouldn't count my chicks before they hatch.
    Yet BlackBerry Mobile/TCL (don't care who) chose to not provide updates to anyone except AT&T devices and abandoned their own products.
    10-11-19 12:06 AM
    Yet BlackBerry Mobile/TCL (don't care who) chose to not provide updates to anyone except AT&T devices and abandoned their own products.
    Not sure what that has to do with it. Everyone else got the full 24 months and the Oreo update as promised.
    10-11-19 12:10 AM
    I do not have Verizon, but may wife has a Verizon branded Moto Droid Mini she has always used on ATT SIM for years; it came with a Verizon SIM for that purpose (was in the phone, new, sealed, bought off eBay). Thus, would a KEYᵒⁿᵉ CDMA Verizon model user not require a Verizon SIM to use it on LTE or VOLTE ? Could a person with a Verizon CDMA model not deselect they CDMA network and see I'd it is working NOW and I'd not, go to the Verizon store and obtain a SIM for that?
    10-11-19 09:40 AM
    A K1 on Verizon will already have a Verizon SIM. There's nothing special about the SIM, but rather the provisioning of the SIM in Verizon's system. All they'll need to do is re-provision the SIMs for all phones that were formerly hybrid CDMA/LTE, to make them LTE-only.
    10-11-19 09:55 AM
    A K1 on Verizon will already have a Verizon SIM. There's nothing special about the SIM, but rather the provisioning of the SIM in Verizon's system. All they'll need to do is re-provision the SIMs for all phones that were formerly hybrid CDMA/LTE, to make them LTE-only.
    They've actually been switching out the SIMs for CDMA-less devices. Perhaps they are having some legacy issues trying to reprovision the older ones.
    10-11-19 11:44 AM
    so, can a Verizon KEYᵒⁿᵉ user just de-select CDMA in settings?

I am unclear as to whether CDMA is a separate hardware radio or just a provisioning of the self same??
    10-11-19 12:08 PM
    so, can a Verizon KEYᵒⁿᵉ user just de-select CDMA in settings?

I am unclear as to whether CDMA is a separate hardware radio or just a provisioning of the self same??
    CDMA is 3G... yes it's different hardware and network.

Even the brand new iPhone 11 still has Verizon's CDMA/3G Radios. Why, because right now they appear to still be key for working on Verizon's network. Even if Verizon said they were going to shut it down at the end of this year. I bet Verizon told Apple a year ago that wasn't going to happen....
    10-11-19 03:29 PM
    They've actually been switching out the SIMs for CDMA-less devices. Perhaps they are having some legacy issues trying to reprovision the older ones.
    They do that because it makes it easier to re-provision the account, but reps who know what they are doing (and perhaps have the right access) can re-provision an account without changing the SIM.

I would presume (without any inside knowledge) that the actual engineers would build an account conversion process tool that is well-tested prior to the transition - but I have been wrong before. Still, it makes sense given the large amount of affected devices - many millions.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-19 09:10 PM
    They do that because it makes it easier to re-provision the account, but reps who know what they are doing (and perhaps have the right access) can re-provision an account without changing the SIM.

I would presume (without any inside knowledge) that the actual engineers would build an account conversion process tool that is well-tested prior to the transition - but I have been wrong before. Still, it makes sense given the large amount of affected devices - many millions.
    That’s problem with you propeller heads... Most of the CSRs are Chuck Finley69 type salespeople. Replacing with a new SIM just simplifies the steps. The engineers will simply have blocked all the CDMA flowchart settings that would have to be switched off flowchart-wise if reusing SIM to CDMAless. I would suppose even some internal phone setting get toggled off with new SIM whereas old SIM probably has manual glitches.

In conclusion, a new SIM is KISS for the Chuck Finley69s of the shallow end of tech pool.
    10-12-19 08:06 PM
    We all have our unique talents, Chuck. LOL.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-19 10:33 PM
    Our VZW Enterprise rep told our IT guys at work that our current K1's and K2 LE's would be fine at least through Dec 2020.
    10-13-19 06:34 PM