Maybe someone can clarify for me, does EIS work on photo or only on video?
    ( sorry for grammar / spelling, i'm norwegian )

I bought a brand new keyone black edition from ebay, but have a bit of "shaky hands" - and did some tests on keyone vs passport.
    Havent used the keyone yet, afraid the camera is worse ( for me with shaking hands ),
    and maybe result in me selling the keyone. looks good in black though :P

Everyone say that keyone camera is better than passport, but on tests i did- the passport capture more detail.
    If i zoom just a bit, the details kinda look "smudged" on photos taken with K1. So wondering if stability is the issue.
    (took a picture of a soap dispenser, tried to zoom for the brand)

Tried with 4:3 format, as i read that's native for the sensor, ( does it matter if i use 4:3 or 3:2 or 16:9 ?)
    I think maybe, maybe that the pictures looked abit better with HDR off, but can's say for sure.

So - EIS only, is it good enough?
    Did some reading that EIS is for video only ?

thanks for any tips, afraid that this might be a problem for me - wanting to stay blackberry for as long as possible.
    06-04-20 01:54 PM
    I have both Passport and Black Edition BlackBerry KeyOne. I find the Key One exceeds the Passport and takes exceptional photos in all but very low light environments.
    06-04-20 02:55 PM
    I have both Passport and Black Edition BlackBerry KeyOne. I find the Key One exceeds the Passport and takes exceptional photos in all but very low light environments.
    thanks, have you tried to take same picture and zoom in abit on both phones?
    06-04-20 04:33 PM
    No one with good info on the camera? :S
    06-06-20 09:28 AM
    EIS would be for video only - and being electronic instead of optical, it "stabilizes" the image by the means of a moving crop box, so it comes at the expense of resolution. Regardless, it would not help still photos. There's only three things that help "shaky hands" for still photos. One is using a rest of some kind (tripod, monopod, propping against something solid), the second is OIS (optical image stabilization, where the lenses are physically moving), and the third is a faster aperture, which requires a sensor with greater sensitivity so that it can capture more light in less time. The latter is something that has been gaining slow but steady progress, but is limited by physics.
    06-06-20 12:10 PM
    EIS would be for video only - and being electronic instead of optical, it "stabilizes" the image by the means of a moving crop box, so it comes at the expense of resolution. Regardless, it would not help still photos. There's only three things that help "shaky hands" for still photos. One is using a rest of some kind (tripod, monopod, propping against something solid), the second is OIS (optical image stabilization, where the lenses are physically moving), and the third is a faster aperture, which requires a sensor with greater sensitivity so that it can capture more light in less time. The latter is something that has been gaining slow but steady progress, but is limited by physics.

thanks, so the keyone relies on fast shutter to prevent blurry photos - that's not what i hoped.
    the risk for unsharpness is pretty much there since there might be a slight hand movement regardless of how fast the pic is taken, if i understand it right?
    06-07-20 11:46 AM
    That's correct. And the less light there is on the subject matter, the longer the "shutter" (smartphones use "electronic shutters" rather than physical ones) has to be open to collect light, which means the darker the subject, the greater the opportunity for movement of the camera (smartphone) to blur the photo. This is why it's easier to get good shots in bright daylight, and much harder indoors.
    06-07-20 02:26 PM
    thanks, so the keyone relies on fast shutter to prevent blurry photos - that's not what i hoped.
    the risk for unsharpness is pretty much there since there might be a slight hand movement regardless of how fast the pic is taken, if i understand it right?
    Welcome to the world of photography.

What you're talking about is something we've had to deal with for almost 200 years. You really shouldn't be relying on cell phone technology to make up for basic photographic techniques.
    06-07-20 04:31 PM
    That's correct. And the less light there is on the subject matter, the longer the "shutter" (smartphones use "electronic shutters" rather than physical ones) has to be open to collect light, which means the darker the subject, the greater the opportunity for movement of the camera (smartphone) to blur the photo. This is why it's easier to get good shots in bright daylight, and much harder indoors.
    explains alot, thank you
    06-07-20 05:47 PM
    Welcome to the world of photography.

What you're talking about is something we've had to deal with for almost 200 years. You really shouldn't be relying on cell phone technology to make up for basic photographic techniques.
    true, but i assumed (wrong) that keyone had OIS, since my passport have it.
    And even though i use my nikon for photos, there is still some times phone will be handy, and by having to look for stability support makes everything a tad more annoying.
    06-07-20 05:49 PM
    true, but i assumed (wrong) that keyone had OIS, since my passport have it.
    And even though i use my nikon for photos, there is still some times phone will be handy, and by having to look for stability support makes everything a tad more annoying.
    No doubt, the cell phone camera is a great tool for quick use.

I'd much rather use my S9 for my weekly project construction pictures than drag out my Canon AE1 and load up a roll of film.

I'm just saying don't expect more than you actually get.
    06-07-20 06:36 PM
    I know, and i agree - problem is deciding if i want to keep the K1 or sell it :S
    shaky hands make the non-OIS abit problematic.

I love he PKB, so not sure what other phone I would consider, my girlfriend has a galaxy s10 and that takes pretty good pictures.
    But not very fond of OLED, curved edges, and all that nonsense.

On the other hand, i'm using phone mostly for talking/ring others, sms and some youtube - and i NEED a good calendar and sync with outlook locally. ( PST file used for many, many years)

I guess there is no such thing as a perfect phone, atleast not from my point of view. Darn, this is hard :P
    The passport is so good in many ways, just not keeping up with a very few needed apps
    06-08-20 05:56 PM
    No doubt, the cell phone camera is a great tool for quick use.

I'd much rather use my S9 for my weekly project construction pictures than drag out my Canon AE1 and load up a roll of film.

At this point... you can get a lot, if you buy a phone that has a well reviewed camera to begin with (not a TCL phone).

Camera sales are down 87%.... because for most folk today's flagship phones offer pretty good pictures.

I'm wowed at how good the iPhone 11 Pro and Galaxy S20 do with indoor, low light situations. Now a Photophile might not be, but I was never a pro at all the settings on an old school film camera.
    06-09-20 08:45 AM