The Keyone is awesome. Everyone needs to settle down and stop comparing their phone to every other phone on the market (as though there is a "perfect" or "best" one somewhere). Just be satisfied with having an awesome phone!
    If you're a person having real problems with the KEYone, whatever they may be, then for that person, I'm sure the device is hardly awesome.
    08-21-17 07:09 AM
    Definitely.

I was speaking more to the "it's not the S8" comment from the sales rep, but I agree with you. I just think it is pointless to get all hot and bothered about having a less-than-the-absolute-best smart phone. If you like it, and using it feels awesome, then that's all that should matter.

I'm also waiting on pins and needles for my screen to fall out, but (until it does) my experience has been positive.
    08-21-17 07:17 AM
    Stores have lots of inventory that they get bonuses for moving. I hate to say that I think salespeople lie, but yes, I think salespeople are thinking about their bonus, and not what the customer wants.

Strange also that comment about KEYone being a watered down droid. It is on par with most other droid phones, so that smells like BS to me.

But hey, its your money. Believe that one random salesperson if you want. I love my KEYone. It works fine for me, and it not a watered down droid.
    There is no doubt that salespeople could lie or misrepresent a product either intentionally or simply through ignorance. That said, he seemed honest, believable and trying to help. He was not pushing me into a S8. As a matter of fact he reviewed the S8, iPhone and HTC as possible alternatives.
    08-21-17 07:52 AM
    For the OP, you have to be your own judge. Are you buying a phone based on the popularity contest or based on what you want?
    I'm an old guy and could give a hoot about what other people think. I wear my trendy 80's clothing with pride!

I probably will purchase and give it a go but my hope is I am not let down. My Bold is my favorite and if it were 4G compatible, I would keep it forever since it serves my needs nicely.
    08-21-17 07:59 AM
    Why haven"t u upgraded to the BlackBerry classic? It's the best blackberry non android phone.

Posted via CB10
    When the Classic came out I was very tempted but it is not a device Sprint supports. Yes, I could purchase an unlocked version and use on Sprint's network but I am suspect it would work error free.
    08-21-17 08:01 AM
    I have a Bold 9900 and been a loyal BB user since Palm went out of business and I was unable to use my Treo anymore. I have been a BB holdout waiting for a QWERTY device and was overjoyed to hear about the KeyOne. Since my carrier is Sprint, I was on hold until they officially released the device a few weeks ago. Wanting to purchase the device immediately on launch, I forced myself to hold until I returned from vacation. First on my checklist upon my return, I visited my local Sprint corp owned store and when I told the rep I wanted a KeyOne, he asked why. He said the store sold 5 devices since launch (pitiful in my humble opinion) and ALL - yes ALL - devices were returned. I was told all devices were not broken but each of the five thought the KeyOne was nothing more than a watered down droid device and they failed to even come close to the S8.

Wow. Now I am hesitant to purchase one. Is the KeyOne a bust in the US?
    It's a niche device for those that find utility in the keyboard. If you don't then it's not the right device for you. It's easily the best blackberry device aside from maybe the Passport, but thats another niche device. If you are happy with your blackberry and want a huge upgrade, the KeyOne is your device.
    bitek and pizzawheel like this.
    08-21-17 08:05 AM
    I have a Bold 9900 and been a loyal BB user since Palm went out of business and I was unable to use my Treo anymore. I have been a BB holdout waiting for a QWERTY device and was overjoyed to hear about the KeyOne. Since my carrier is Sprint, I was on hold until they officially released the device a few weeks ago. Wanting to purchase the device immediately on launch, I forced myself to hold until I returned from vacation. First on my checklist upon my return, I visited my local Sprint corp owned store and when I told the rep I wanted a KeyOne, he asked why. He said the store sold 5 devices since launch (pitiful in my humble opinion) and ALL - yes ALL - devices were returned. I was told all devices were not broken but each of the five thought the KeyOne was nothing more than a watered down droid device and they failed to even come close to the S8.

Wow. Now I am hesitant to purchase one. Is the KeyOne a bust in the US?
    First of all just buy it and enjoy the phone. Be the first one who buys it and does not return the phone.

Secondly it is easy to verify if the salesperson is telling the truth.

Buy phone and next week ask a friend to inquire about KEYone. Let's see If the salesperson is truthful. If he is he will say we actually sold one ! But I can bet you he will not say that.
    pooyam likes this.
    08-21-17 08:07 AM
    I doubt TCL has sold 100,000 devices, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bust. It depends on how many they needed to sell to turn a profit to keep making devices.
    Date 18th Aug BlackBerry KEYone launch in Beijing China. Online www.JD.com (JD.Inc)had sold 5000 KEYone within 8 minutes. BlackBerry had set up website (www.berrylink)to support china fanboy.
    08-21-17 08:08 AM
    Date 18th Aug BlackBerry KEYone launch in Beijing China. Online 京东(JD.COM)-正品低价、品质保障、配送及时、轻� �购物! (JD.Inc)had sold 5000 KEYone within 8 minutes. BlackBerry had set up website (www.berrylink)to support china fanboy.
    I would not be surprised if SPRINT hasn't sold 5,000 KEYones also. Problem is how many of those were returned as was stated, and how many will they sell next month, or the next month.

The KEYone is a "bust" in the US.... as SPRINT is the only carrier that has it. The "fans" were never the customer that TCL was going after, it was enterprise... and without the bigger three carriers, they have no real hope for USA Enterprise.
    08-21-17 08:47 AM
    When the Classic came out I was very tempted but it is not a device Sprint supports. Yes, I could purchase an unlocked version and use on Sprint's network but I am suspect it would work error free.
    Sounds like you are more loyal to Sprint than to BlackBerry.
    08-21-17 09:03 AM
    You've been hanging on to your Bold for many years past it's time. Because it worked for you at the start, and continued to work for you through the years, it didn't matter that it stopped being sold everywhere and that it wasn't as fast as (insert any modern device).

People should take the same approach here,.. if it works for them now then get it. There is a high change it will continue to satisfy your needs for years to come regardless of what other people are buying.

If it doesn't work for you now, then it most likely won't work for you later either, so-- skip it.
    08-21-17 09:04 AM
    Pointless question. He said it was a "deal breaker."
    The sum of it's features are much greater than watsapp. I can't see how watsapp could be a deciding factor of a phone.
    08-21-17 09:13 AM
    The sum of it's features are much greater than watsapp. I can't see how watsapp could be a deciding factor of a phone.
    Well it would a backup phone, so the essential aspect is simply communication. The main purposes of a phone is, well, phone, and then sms and e-mail. The Classic has all that of course. But whatsapp is what most if not all people around me use, I don't remember the last time I've met someone that doesn't use it. So since I want a backup, I can pass if a BB10 device can't do snapchat, instagram, facebook and fb messenger, along with many other social media and media consumption apps, youtube etc...but in this era, if the phone can't run whatsapp, then it's not future proof enough for me, even as a secondary. I'm sure it's an amazing phone from what I hear though, and too bad that I will have missed out on it and BB10.
    skinnymike1 and pizzawheel like this.
    08-21-17 09:51 AM
    Based on what I'm reading here, isn't carrier representatives always do that to any BlackBerry device? Bash it and add a Samsung device on the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^ This. Has happened to me when I got my Z30 and Classic. Got my K1 from a Sprint store that had just opened, so they were happy for any sale. Apart from a few odd Android/BB software bugs and the very involved app shopping and setup period to get the communications aspect the way I like it, the K1 has been very positive for me.
    08-21-17 10:11 AM
    Bust in the USA? Maybe. AT&T and Verizon locks out wifi calling and hd calling on unlocked Android devices. They allow those features on unlocked Apple devices. Plus, the big two carriers have so much clout, and it's an Apple-Samsung dynamics here. Unfortunate for anyone else to penetrate the market.
    FF22, phuoc and gritsinct like this.
    08-21-17 10:37 AM
    Date 18th Aug BlackBerry KEYone launch in Beijing China. Online 京东(JD.COM)-正品低价、品质保障、配送及时、轻� �购物! (JD.Inc)had sold 5000 KEYone within 8 minutes. BlackBerry had set up website (www.berrylink)to support china fanboy.
    BerryLink existed before the KEYone, I guess they're the Chinese equivalent of CrackBerry for marketing.
    08-21-17 11:03 AM
    I got my KEYone on launch day here in the US. To ME, this phone is PERFECT. But then again, it could be because I know all the tricks to optimize android. No lag, No build quality issues, No hardware issues, Software-wise I have no issues but that could be because I don't use the stock dialer and I had to download a separate music player, audio recorder, google keep, google calendar (until they improve bb calendar), a different texting app (Textra), and i'm still looking for the right "Office" app for me.

From my experience, everyone who buys a new phone except for myself and other "tech" ppl use whatever is pre-installed on the phone.. maybe folks who returned the phones thought that the phone couldn't open word docs? And Google Play as a music app is very terrible to use if you just want to listen to a select folder (it groups EVERY audio file on your device into it's library and you can't play it based on folder so that why I installed a separate music app) it's very possible, they judged the phone based on the pre-installed software it came with... which is pretty terrible.

especially if they are business-focused, not being capable of reading office files out-of-the-box was an oversight on TCL/BB Mobile.
    JOHNGAETANO and terminatorx like this.
    08-21-17 11:50 AM
    There is no doubt that salespeople could lie or misrepresent a product either intentionally or simply through ignorance. That said, he seemed honest, believable and trying to help. He was not pushing me into a S8. As a matter of fact he reviewed the S8, iPhone and HTC as possible alternatives.
    I still can't blindly accept that he is being honest due to the comment about KEYone being a watered down droid. That sounds like an anti-BlackBerru bias... and a trick to sell you some other phone that he gets a bonus for selling.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    08-21-17 12:16 PM
    OP, Sprint 4G LTE appear to be limited (as for K1 concern). Check out the CB site of other posting (reception problem of Sprint) before your fork over the hard earned cash. In addition, it is well known of Sprint (or others) sales are heavily rely on the conmission. Not sure what if there is any sales target for S8 or not... old info, but tell the story....
    sprint sales rep salary... - SprintUsers.com
    If I were you, either get from VZ or ATT instead of sprint, unless they merge with pink shirt guys to get better LTE spectrum.
    08-21-17 01:00 PM
    , I visited my local Sprint corp owned store and when I told the rep I wanted a KeyOne, he asked why. He said the store sold 5 devices since launch (pitiful in my humble opinion) and ALL - yes ALL - devices were returned. I was told all devices were not broken but each of the five thought the KeyOne was nothing more than a watered down droid device and they failed to even come close to the S8.
    Let's look closer at the sales person's comments....

1. He asked why you wanted to buy a KEYone. First sign that he was trying to change your mind. Why didn't he just sell it to you??

2. Why mention to you that the store only sold 5 KEYones, and that they were all returned. Again, he was trying to change your mind.

3. Now, the interesting part. He knows that all 5 were not broken, and that they were all returned for the SAME reason. This is the most incredible part to me. Was he present when all 5 phones were returned, so that he knows that all 5 customers said the same exact complaint???

4. All 5 people who originally wanted a KEYone suddenly had a change of opinion and decided that they want a S8??? Again, this is a sign that he was trying to change your mind.

Salespeople might seem "honest" but they get bonuses for selling certain phones. They use sales tactics to steer customers to buy more expensive phones (S8). It is called "upsell". Very common to subtly encourage a customer to ignore some products and push higher ticket items.

If that sales person was honest, he would have sold you the phone that YOU requested, and just honestly told you about the store return policy.
    DolemiteDONS and mrsimon like this.
    08-21-17 02:12 PM
    I still can't blindly accept that he is being honest due to the comment about KEYone being a watered down droid. That sounds like an anti-BlackBerru bias... and a trick to sell you some other phone that he gets a bonus for selling.
    exactly.. how can it be a "watered-down" android when it's near stock android with minor productive tweaks?
    08-21-17 02:12 PM
    Three points :
    - If you're comparing K1 against S8, you're not getting the point of K1. Just go with S8.
    - If I bought K1 from a store and realized it's got a screen issue, regardless of warranty assurance, I'd return to the store and wait to buy a new one. Much safer that way.
    - Maybe they returned to get the fixed one, maybe they returned to get S8 or what not. Maybe the salesman was lying. Get it and judge for yourself. I like my K1 despite knowing it's not popular
    08-21-17 08:25 PM
    Sounds like you are more loyal to Sprint than to BlackBerry.
    A fair criticism. For me, Sprint works and is priced much less than AT&T and Verizon.
    08-21-17 09:17 PM
    OP, Sprint 4G LTE appear to be limited (as for K1 concern). Check out the CB site of other posting (reception problem of Sprint) before your fork over the hard earned cash. In addition, it is well known of Sprint (or others) sales are heavily rely on the conmission. Not sure what if there is any sales target for S8 or not... old info, but tell the story....
    sprint sales rep salary... - SprintUsers.com
    If I were you, either get from VZ or ATT instead of sprint, unless they merge with pink shirt guys to get better LTE spectrum.
    I don't understand. Android S8 users on Sprint seem to be happy and their S8 works fine. Why would K1's 4G LTE be limited if using droid platform like the S8?
    Last edited by whodathunkit; 08-21-17 at 10:00 PM.
    08-21-17 09:24 PM
    Let's look closer at the sales person's comments....

1. He asked why you wanted to buy a KEYone. First sign that he was trying to change your mind. Why didn't he just sell it to you??

2. Why mention to you that the store only sold 5 KEYones, and that they were all returned. Again, he was trying to change your mind.

3. Now, the interesting part. He knows that all 5 were not broken, and that they were all returned for the SAME reason. This is the most incredible part to me. Was he present when all 5 phones were returned, so that he knows that all 5 customers said the same exact complaint???

4. All 5 people who originally wanted a KEYone suddenly had a change of opinion and decided that they want a S8??? Again, this is a sign that he was trying to change your mind.

Salespeople might seem "honest" but they get bonuses for selling certain phones. They use sales tactics to steer customers to buy more expensive phones (S8). It is called "upsell". Very common to subtly encourage a customer to ignore some products and push higher ticket items.

If that sales person was honest, he would have sold you the phone that YOU requested, and just honestly told you about the store return policy.
    1) I appreciate a sales persons opinion and comments and I listen with half a ear recognizing they may have ulterior motives.

2) Why not tell a customer about their experiences?

3) All he told me was all devices sold were returned because people did not like them.

4) He did not say that all wanted a S8. I said in my post "...each of the five thought the KeyOne was nothing more than a watered down droid device and they failed to come close to the S8." I also said in another post he gave me options such as iPhone and HTC.

I am no fan of pushy salespeople but he seemed reasonably sincere in his presentation. More importantly to those that think he would get a huge commission if he sold me a S8 or other device --- I have an existing account so this would be nothing more than an equipment swap. I don't know for sure, but was told by two different Sprint employees, no commission on equipment swaps.

I will most likely purchase a K1 and determine for myself if it works for me but was hopeful this device would move towards rekindling BB's superiority.
    08-21-17 09:52 PM
103 1234 ...