Sending "refurbished" units to replace devices under warranty after three months of use is normal.
    Not for a company that takes responsibility for selling a defective device.
    09-07-17 11:56 AM
    Sending "refurbished" units to replace devices under warranty after three months of use is normal.
    Under normal circumstances Maybe yes
    But if it's from a manufacturing defect that the company itself acknowledged.
    Sending a refurbished unit isn't the right thing to do IMO

Posted via CB10
    09-07-17 12:03 PM
    The huge profits these cell phone companies make then manufacture substandard products, charge a arm & leg for them then when it comes to warranty replacement they send out refurbished phone. Sorry I for one won't stand for that type treatment, I work to hard for my money to just throw it away on a refurbished cell phone when you purchased new to begin with.
    09-07-17 12:10 PM
    Under normal circumstances Maybe yes
    But if it's from a manufacturing defect that the company itself acknowledged.
    Sending a refurbished unit isn't the right thing to do IMO

Posted via CB10
    It's funny, but I usually feel more confident about a factory refurbished device than I do about a new one. The refurbished one has to pass an individual inspection, while the new one just came off a line with routine QC sampling.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    09-07-17 12:11 PM
    It's funny, but I usually feel more confident about a factory refurbished device than I do about a new one. The refurbished one has to pass an individual inspection, while the new one just came off a line with routine QC sampling.

I agree--I have had 2 refurbished devices in the past and they have been excellent. I will probably go that route again on e-bay with an android device (Huawei P9 maybe?).
    09-07-17 12:18 PM
    The huge profits these cell phone companies make then manufacture substandard products, charge a arm & leg for them then when it comes to warranty replacement they send out refurbished phone. Sorry I for one won't stand for that type treatment, I work to hard for my money to just throw it away on a refurbished cell phone when you purchased new to begin with.
    Sure, but when people's retirement savings and pensions are invested in these very same companies, and we don't get our 7 - 10% return, we start screaming that heads have to roll!

We depend on their profitability every bit as much as they do.
    stlabrat and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    09-07-17 12:52 PM
    That still does not excuse them from their responsibilities to the consumer. If you purchased a new set of tires then 2 weeks later driving down the highway it burst into a thousand pieces you went back to where you purchased the tires the person behind the counter said same size as my tires I will give you one of my tires.

Would you say great tks or say forget it I want a new tire.
    09-07-17 01:10 PM
    That still does not excuse them from their responsibilities to the consumer. If you purchased a new set of tires then 2 weeks later driving down the highway it burst into a thousand pieces you went back to where you purchased the tires the person behind the counter said same size as my tires I will give you one of my tires.

You are equating refurbished with "used" or "worn." It's not at all the same in consumer electronics.

There are UNUSED devices that must be called "refurbished" simply because they were previously sold and returned. They are otherwise indistinguishable from new devices, and they come with a full factory warranty.

I'm saying that getting a factory refurbished device in new condition with a full warranty is an acceptable replacement for a three-month old, used detective device.

09-07-17 01:16 PM

And if after 3 months, they will honour their pro-rated warranty.

So basically, you're kicking in more money to get new tires.
    09-07-17 01:21 PM
    Is anybody else having an issue with Blackberry not sending a new device after the keyone screen falls off? I purchased my K1 back in May on Amazon and the screen fell off in August making the phone useless. I contacted Blackberry and after waiting for 3 days they finally replied and told me I needed to give them my credit card in case they do not receive my new device. They will charge me $549 if they send me a new device and did not receive the old device. Moreover they told me they can't promise I'll receive a new device and it might be a refurbished device. Well, I'm not going to take the risk and get a refurbished device with the same problems I had before. I had bad reception and issues with the speaker going out on phone calls. I insisted on a new device but blackberry will not guarantee me a new replacement. Thankfully, Amazon which is awesome agreed to take back my device because they do not want defective merchandise being sold on Amazon. So I will return it to Amazon. However, I will never do business with Blackberry again. And after owning 5 different BB phones, this is the last time they get my money. Blackberry is no longer the great company it use to be. I know you BB fans will defend them no matter what. But I'm done.

To the Blackberry leadership reading this. Look up my complaint #CRM:000000900001068. You can expect a full video on Youtube of my experience. You may only see me as one lost customer. But the good old Internet gives me a big voice.

My questions to Blackberry Community is this:

1. Can anybody direct me to a contact email of Blackberry leadership? I want to file a complaint.

2. If you returned your broken KeyOne to Blackberry was it replaced with a refurbished device? if so, did Blackberry say if they did not receive your broken device they'll charge you for a *new* device of $549 although they sent you a *refurbished* device as a replacement.
    I dealt with
    Canada support channel!
    I gave them my CC
    got my refurbished replacement in approx 5 business days!
    *the refurbished device I got practically is new and was unlocked!

*I am just as concerned about getting a July build date device!

sorry to say but you won't be getting a new replacement, as all warranty devices are refurbished! the one I got was practically brand new!
    09-07-17 01:21 PM
    Warranty replacements are never new unless you are freaking with a 3rd party reseller like Amazon! Prolly the best thing to do is return to Amazon to get a new replacement!
    09-07-17 01:31 PM
    Myself I stand up for what I think is right. This is the person who ended up taking a car dealership to small claims court and won. When they refused to pay out I had a court Sheriff pull their business licence so they could not do any selling or buy vehicles. Never have I seen a cheque written so fast in my life.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-07-17 01:32 PM
    Myself I stand up for what I think is right. This is the person who ended up taking a car dealership to small claims court and won. When they refused to pay out I had a court Sheriff pull their business licence so they could not do any selling or buy vehicles. Never have I seen a cheque written so fast in my life.
    I hear you. But I think it is 100% "right for a company to replace a defective, USED device with a factory-refurbished working device with the same warranty time remaining. That makes the customer whole, which bis the point of a warranty.

A defective device should be fixed or replaced with an equivalent item. There is no ethical requirement to do more than that, UNLESS THE WARRANTY EXPRESSLY SAYS SO.

If you can show where the warranty promises a new device, then I'll readily concede that the manufactures should provide one.

stlabrat and wentouch like this.
    09-07-17 01:40 PM
    Why didn't the OP contact BlackBerry Mobile first? May have gotten better treatment.
    09-07-17 01:43 PM

Yea that's the general understanding but just look into what Apple does when they refurbish their stuff. You'll be surprised.

It's actually a bit of a myth
    09-07-17 02:17 PM
    Yea that's the general understanding but just look into what Apple does when they refurbish their stuff. You'll be surprised.

It's actually a bit of a myth
    Well, I have no respect for the way Apple handles lots of things. LOL

But their customers certainly seem happy, so they know their market -- people who will spend a LOT of extra money to be told exactly how they should use their devices and that they have to go to a store with any significant issue.

09-07-17 02:22 PM
    Why didn't the OP contact BlackBerry Mobile first? May have gotten better treatment.
    Not likely. Based on the experience I've been documenting, OP would be lucky to see their phone again...

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...s-far-1119648/
    09-07-17 03:53 PM
    i usually prefer to buy demo model for state of the art device/equipment, all the bugs ironed out with beefed up both hardware and software - such as computer on the apple store or some equipment on the trade show floor. Usually you pay x% off from the original price with few thing throw it in (case, extra cable, etc.). Great value play. New, sure you got excitment of listen to the plastic screen protector peel off sound (like CBK did), but that got little to tickle my fancy... (side story, I brought to apple store an ipod nano that my newphen told me not working - almost new, he got two month or so. check the memory, it still ok, but no display. He couldn't tell me what was happened to it. I took it to Apple store, they varify the purches and check the memory, told me the option to buy a refub for half price and trade in the defect one. I was very happy to accept the option.. i am not even sure there is a warrentee on it or not...So far, after 3 years, that unit still works)...
    09-07-17 04:07 PM
    In this situation specifically you are getting a (at most) 3-4 month old phone replaced with a 3-4 month old refurbished and tested phone. I can say this for certain since they've only been around that long

I too prefer refurbished devices. Somebody has thoroughly tested that device which is more than what happens with a new device

Posted via CB10
    09-07-17 05:38 PM
    Simply fact is it's the way the industry works.... might not be happy about it, but won't find anyone else offering to give you a brand new device in exchange for a three month old one. There is a chance you would get a new one, but no guarantee.

So the manufacture really doesn't matter in this case.... other than it's more a clear design flaw than just a case of a single unit with a problem. Should have been a recall - either total or based on product runs.
    09-08-17 08:29 AM
    Simply fact is it's the way the industry works.... might not be happy about it, but won't find anyone else offering to give you a brand new device in exchange for a three month old one. There is a chance you would get a new one, but no guarantee.

So the manufacture really doesn't matter in this case.... other than it's more a clear design flaw than just a case of a single unit with a problem. Should have been a recall - either total or based on product runs.
    I am happy to report that I got a new cdma KeyOne yesterday as an advanced replacement for my screen-popped original. Now I have to get a few items off the old one and get it in the mail.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-08-17 09:26 AM
    if they have acknowledged that there is a defect, should they not offer some type of recall and replacement? ( that's what most companies do. ie car companies) or even send a fix to local phone repair companies so that we can take them there to get problem fixed? I just noticed yesterday that my screen has lifted on the bottom right by key board. I bought the phone back in June.
    09-08-17 11:26 AM
    Eh?

TCL has offered to replace any phones with a loose screen with a recertified refurb (the recertified, as mentioned above, is the added measure to verifying a device is in good working order) certified (typically) to have a affixed screen.

As to the loose screen, the fix and the initial mount process is likely the common adhesive film liner that goes around the edges. In this case, a weak adhesive was likely the culprit, if not for just plain absentmindeness and they just forgot it's altogether, which would be one of those big doh's. Ha ha ha.

Can you imagine if it was someone's job to actually glue these screens onto phones? Ah ha ha ha.
    09-08-17 02:12 PM
    The only reason for a blanket recall is a safety issue. That's what sometimes happens with cars and the Samsung Note 7s.

The normal product warranty is sufficient for ordinary manufacturing defects. Heck that's exactly what it's for!

09-08-17 02:17 PM
    Bb wants me to send them my phone. They didnt even offer to try and ts or anything. I send phone in and what now I have no phone?
    09-29-17 02:31 AM
50 12