Optiemus sent me a review unit what they're calling the BlackBerry KEYone "Limited Edition Black."

Just picked it up yesterday so less than 24 hours on it so far. Interesting enough, the unit I received is actually manufactured in China by TCL (imported by Optiemus). Reached out to Optiemus for clarification, and they said TCL provided the first lot to get them going, but that come September all Limited Edition Black phones will actually be Made In India by Optiemus.

Will shoot a video of it soon, but in the meantime can hit up my @CrackBerryKevin Instagram for some unboxing photos:

If you go back to reading my KEYone review, this unit checks a few additional marks off my how to improve it further wishlist: 4GB of Ram, 64GB of storage and additional colors (black!).

Less than 24 hours of use on it as I type this, but performance feels on par with my standard KEYone. Wouldn't expect the extra GB of ram to make it faster, but should run equally fast for a little longer as you open up more and more and more things. This unit also has a dual sim. I've never had a dual sim device before... not really a North America thing. Kind of neat though how it works on Android - will have to do a walk through of that.

As for the blacked out look, I definitely love it. I love the look of the original one too. Winner either way, but awesome to see the KEYone in an additional color!

If you didn't see it yet, also a great video here by MrMobile of the blacked out KEYone:

Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 08-01-17 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Updated with Video!
    08-01-17 07:09 AM
    08-01-17 07:14 AM
    So would it be possible to order extra parts from India like the housing and replace the TCL casing so it is black?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 07:15 AM
    Optiemus, TCL and BlackBerry sound like one big happy family.....

What's the deal on the "Limited" part....
    PALoeza likes this.
    08-01-17 07:21 AM
    This unit also has a dual sim. I've never had a dual sim device before... not really a North America thing. Kind of neat though how it works on Android - will have to do a walk through of that.
    I really don't understand why this shouldn't be a North American thing, with so many companies going to "BYOD". Quality dual sim options here are slim pickin's.

I currently have to carry 2 devices to keep both my personal and work communications open -- but separate. I'd love to combine under one good device where I could handle calls/SMS for both phone numbers. The fact that data would be coming from one or the other sim only isn't an issue. And, I know a fair number of people who would jump to it as well. I'm sure more may as well if they were aware of the benefits.
    08-01-17 07:43 AM
    @CrackBerry Kevin: Mr. Mobile mentions in his video: "rumour has it, we'll see this model or a version of it hit other markets soon". Any more information on said rumour? I'm rather interested in the bumped up specs as I do a lot of multitasking.

While I was looking forward to getting the KeyOne by the end of the year, I'd rather wait and see if a bumped up specs version will be sold in the North American - Latin-American markets.

Likewise, is there any official info on the KeyOne being sold in Mexico? AFAIK, it's only available through third party sellers, but would like to know if Amazon Mexico or a carrier will offer it.

Cheers and enjoy the dark side, do let us know how it goes!

 Passport (10.3.3.2163) /  PRIV (6.0.1)
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    08-01-17 07:48 AM
    1) Past performance often a good indicator of the future... we know over the years that BlackBerry has often followed up initial releases with more color variations. So I wouldn't be surprised to see black KEYone's hit more places. I don't think that means you'll necessarily see it everywhere though - pretty clear that there are a lot of distribution partners (carriers, retailers, etc.) involved in the KEYone rollout globally -- it's not just a buy online direct thing -- so when you have that many players involved you'd think some will get it, some won't, etc. Just need to stay tuned.

2) Re: Mexico - Not sure, but we know that TCL has rights to sell there in LATEM, so I'd assume they're making plans to take their BBs there too (KEYone and future devices). Probably just a matter of time.

@CrackBerry Kevin: Mr. Mobile mentions in his video: "rumour has it, we'll see this model or a version of it hit other markets soon". Any more information on said rumour? I'm rather interested in the bumped up specs as I do a lot of multitasking.

While I was looking forward to getting the KeyOne by the end of the year, I'd rather wait and see if a bumped up specs version will be sold in the North American - Latin-American markets.

Likewise, is there any official info on the KeyOne being sold in Mexico? AFAIK, it's only available through third party sellers, but would like to know if Amazon Mexico or a carrier will offer it.

Cheers and enjoy the dark side, do let us know how it goes!

 Passport (10.3.3.2163) /  PRIV (6.0.1)
    PALoeza likes this.
    08-01-17 07:58 AM
    Just another device we'll never officially see in Canada.
    08-01-17 08:04 AM
    Really an interesting marketing strategy.
    08-01-17 08:13 AM
    1) Past performance often a good indicator of the future... we know over the years that BlackBerry has often followed up initial releases with more color variations. So I wouldn't be surprised to see black KEYone's hit more places. I don't think that means you'll necessarily see it everywhere though - pretty clear that there are a lot of distribution partners (carriers, retailers, etc.) involved in the KEYone rollout globally -- it's not just a buy online direct thing -- so when you have that many players involved you'd think some will get it, some won't, etc. Just need to stay tuned..
    do you think it will come to more carriers in the US?
    08-01-17 08:32 AM
    Patiently waiting for the official CBK review and giveaway.
    08-01-17 08:34 AM
    Thanks for the patience!

modifier and AZN like this.
    08-01-17 09:00 AM
    Thanks for the patience!
    Ditto on giveaway!
    08-01-17 09:35 AM
    has anyone tried blacking the phone with a paint job. I am already on my second ketone and don't want to get another
    08-01-17 10:02 AM
    My personal opinion is that there is no such thing as a "limited edition" here. Obviously TCL/BlakBerry have been checking how people over here have been saying that they would love an all-black KeyOne and have come to the party.

Another curious fact is that this phone was made by TCL in China, albeit in "small" numbers. That tells me the thing is ready to go global to other markets after the India launch.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-01-17 10:05 AM
    08-01-17 11:15 AM
    This is what the original KEYOne should have been. A phone aimed solely at productivity should have had more than 3GB RAM and 32GB storage in 2017.

The Indian smartphone market is tough, glad it got BB to wake-up, now slap a Snapdragon 821 or 835 in that baby and it will be a beast.
    PALoeza and Plazmic Flame like this.
    08-01-17 11:37 AM
    Black Beauty. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of my KEYᵒⁿᵉ with silver accents. But the upgraded specs, though... appealing. And all black does look very classy.
    QUESTION: how does yours run here in N. America? Specifically the US? Obviously you have been using it so it must be compatible with GSM in Canada. Could a person, for example, just pop a T-Mobile or AT&T Sim (or 2) into it and use it?
    08-01-17 11:54 AM
    PS as for the duel Sim, in our household in the past we often had to travel (from the US) with two phones, or take a Sim along to put into the phone at the destination when traveling outside of the US. T-mobile now works abroad in our destinations but a local prepaid sim card can be much better option depending on the destination. Unless they have changed, most US carriers sell packages for service outside the US. It can get spendy and be unreliable quality. A two Sim phone would be awesome!
    Last edited by Sigewif; 08-01-17 at 02:00 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-17 12:04 PM
    great looking phone! i really hope theres a North American variant coming soon! I would choose this over the silver and black original one ANY day
    08-01-17 12:06 PM
    With the 2nd sim, where did the SD card go?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-17 12:40 PM
    I miss the days when the first reviews of any BlackBerry were done by CB . oh well.
    08-01-17 12:42 PM
    Nice looking device and with the memory upgrade, makes it's something I would consider buying depending on the price.
    08-01-17 12:53 PM
    With the 2nd sim, where did the SD card go?
    I'm fairly sure that it is the same tray. In other words, if you have 2 sim cards installed, you cannot use an SD card. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.
    08-01-17 12:56 PM
    I'm fairly sure that it is the same tray. In other words, if you have 2 sim cards installed, you cannot use an SD card. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.
    It's a Hybrid sim slot however we've seen some hacks in past where you can use 2sims and card also.
    08-01-17 01:09 PM
46 12