Launch problems apart, there's been a lot of comparison with other devices, especially flagship ones.

While I'm waiting for the moment a KEYone becomes available, I've been using my S7edge and based on some KEYone comments I've got a few comments to make on this Sammy.

1. Heat when using apps.
    The S7 heats up when using certain apps: games and the Satnav principally. And I'd reckon practically all devices do this. So, not a specific 'problem' on the KEYone.

2. Keyboard input and language. I've spend some time messing about with the DTECH VKBs and seen some vids on the K1.
    I've realised that the S7 is a 'nightmare' when on predictive text. I've taken it off. It doesn't predict well in either Spanish or English. I've wasted weeks on typing probably. On the Dtechs I found prediction much better.
    Also, the accuracy of the touchscreen keyboard is nothing to write home about. I've just found a function that increases keyboard size but the keyboard is yellow. Looks like I'm using a phone with a disability function. Maybe I need it!!!!
    I found the Dtechs better as well. In fact, both the iphone and VKB BBs i've tried are better than the singing Sam flagships.
    And i'm hoping that the PKB will be at least as good as the BOLD I owned.
    3. Speed wise, wathcning the comparison vids Versus Samsung S8 , especially the guy from Manchester (judging by the accent), shows that the app opening time differences are milliseconds and even sometimes in favour of the K1. And if you're not a gamer I don't think this is going to be a dealbreaker.
    And now I'm going to use a much lower spec J7 (169€) as my interim phone while I wait to get a K1. As yet I haven't noticed any big lag or problems, because I'm not pushing it to its max, and I don't need to.

4. Battery life. The S7 is MUCH better than the S4 (my previous phone). It lasts a whole day. but if the KEY1 lasts into a second day, then even better.

5. Size matters. The S7edge is probably as long as I'd wanna go. I'd prefer a similar screen size but in a wider 'passport' format which means wider keyboard and it doesn't stick out of your pocket.
    If the K1 is a bit wider than a S7 then that would be great and a 4.5 inch screen should be ok, but not smaller.

6. Camera. OK, the camera is pretty good on the S7, but for big events I use my Olympus OM-D. I use the camera a lot, and for everyday use and birthdays it's fine. A little less quality wouldn't be a dealbreaker either. There's too much emphasis on phone camera quality IMHO.

To sum up, even though the K1 is lower on specs on paper, in the real world they won't really make much difference when using the phone for 'normal business or pleasure'.
    It's a bit like buying a high spec car or motorbike, in the real world we only use a fraction of what the vehicle is capable of.
    It's the same with phones, we're blinded in the same way by 'needing' the absolute top specs, when in reality, only the "Valentino Rossis" or "Hamiltons" of this world will ever make use of them.

In conclusion, as long as the K1 is reliable and priced properly, the specs are definitely not a deal breaker. and I'll be getting one.
    sag7392 and olakailan like this.
    07-12-17 05:25 AM
    Launch problems apart, there's been a lot of comparison with other devices, especially flagship ones.

While I'm waiting for the moment a KEYone becomes available, I've been using my S7edge and based on some KEYone comments I've got a few comments to make on this Sammy.

1. Heat when using apps.
    The S7 heats up when using certain apps: games and the Satnav principally. And I'd reckon practically all devices do this. So, not a specific 'problem' on the KEYone.

2. Keyboard input and language. I've spend some time messing about with the DTECH VKBs and seen some vids on the K1.
    I've realised that the S7 is a 'nightmare' when on predictive text. I've taken it off. It doesn't predict well in either Spanish or English. I've wasted weeks on typing probably. On the Dtechs I found prediction much better.
    Also, the accuracy of the touchscreen keyboard is nothing to write home about. I've just found a function that increases keyboard size but the keyboard is yellow. Looks like I'm using a phone with a disability function. Maybe I need it!!!!
    I found the Dtechs better as well. In fact, both the iphone and VKB BBs i've tried are better than the singing Sam flagships.
    And i'm hoping that the PKB will be at least as good as the BOLD I owned.
    3. Speed wise, wathcning the comparison vids Versus Samsung S8 , especially the guy from Manchester (judging by the accent), shows that the app opening time differences are milliseconds and even sometimes in favour of the K1. And if you're not a gamer I don't think this is going to be a dealbreaker.
    And now I'm going to use a much lower spec J7 (169€) as my interim phone while I wait to get a K1. As yet I haven't noticed any big lag or problems, because I'm not pushing it to its max, and I don't need to.

4. Battery life. The S7 is MUCH better than the S4 (my previous phone). It lasts a whole day. but if the KEY1 lasts into a second day, then even better.

5. Size matters. The S7edge is probably as long as I'd wanna go. I'd prefer a similar screen size but in a wider 'passport' format which means wider keyboard and it doesn't stick out of your pocket.
    If the K1 is a bit wider than a S7 then that would be great and a 4.5 inch screen should be ok, but not smaller.

6. Camera. OK, the camera is pretty good on the S7, but for big events I use my Olympus OM-D. I use the camera a lot, and for everyday use and birthdays it's fine. A little less quality wouldn't be a dealbreaker either. There's too much emphasis on phone camera quality IMHO.

To sum up, even though the K1 is lower on specs on paper, in the real world they won't really make much difference when using the phone for 'normal business or pleasure'.
    It's a bit like buying a high spec car or motorbike, in the real world we only use a fraction of what the vehicle is capable of.
    It's the same with phones, we're blinded in the same way by 'needing' the absolute top specs, when in reality, only the "Valentino Rossis" or "Hamiltons" of this world will ever make use of them.

In conclusion, as long as the K1 is reliable and priced properly, the specs are definitely not a deal breaker. and I'll be getting one.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in September of this year. All the new toys (phones) come out.......
    07-12-17 03:28 PM
    The BlackBerry-keyboard software really is stellar in that regard. Especially when using several languages at the same time. I use Norwegian, English and Spanish at the same time and the BlackBerry-keyboard software will automatically switch between the languages without a hitch, and the predictions are really good in all three languages. In my opinion, that feature alone is a good enough reason to buy a BlackBerry Android device over the others, but that's me.
    07-12-17 09:06 PM