So, just within the last day or two my phone's battery has gotten pretty bad... Drains fast, charges slow, sometimes likes to cut itself off suddenly when it's low, but not fully drained.

Yeah, I should have already been realizing I'm pretty much living on borrowed time with this phone.

But would anyone have any ideas (aside from: look into a new phone*)?

I will say-- I've been having issues as well with my storage- currently at 94% used, 1.82 GB free. I am assuming this is probably contributing to the problem. So far, I have deleted every app I possibly sort-of, kind-of can part with (there haven't ever been loads of apps on here in the first place).

Audio: 1.73 GB. No song files, only castbox (podcast player) & amazon music. Those, I DO use.

Photos: 8.99 GB. Yes, I've been hesitant to delete everything. Because I admit- I don't actually know very much about how google photos works. And even though a lot of these are quite old photos (clearly), I also go back and reference them fairly often. Yes, though- I definitely understand these need to get the hell off my phone. I am willing to do that (begrudgingly). I just want to make one billion percent sure first that they'll remain in existence.

But that's the other thing: even if I got rid of all 8.99 GB of photos...is that enough to make a difference?? 10.81 GB free? Guess I've got no real point of reference for what other people's phones look like.

*I'm in the swamp of grad school... These are not great days to be using any disposable income if I can help it!!
    02-12-21 04:09 AM
    Storage doesn't have anything to do with it. Just go into the battery settings menu and it'll tell you what the culprit is, if there is a software problem.

Also, microSD cards are really cheap.
    02-12-21 04:45 AM
    So, just within the last day or two my phone's battery has gotten pretty bad... Drains fast, charges slow, sometimes likes to cut itself off suddenly when it's low, but not fully drained.

Yeah, I should have already been realizing I'm pretty much living on borrowed time with this phone.

I will say-- I've been having issues as well with my storage- currently at 94% used, 1.82 GB free. I am assuming this is probably contributing to the problem. So far, I have deleted every app I possibly sort-of, kind-of can part with (there haven't ever been loads of apps on here in the first place).

Audio: 1.73 GB. No song files, only castbox (podcast player) & amazon music. Those, I DO use.

Photos: 8.99 GB. Yes, I've been hesitant to delete everything. Because I admit- I don't actually know very much about how google photos works. And even though a lot of these are quite old photos (clearly), I also go back and reference them fairly often. Yes, though- I definitely understand these need to get the hell off my phone. I am willing to do that (begrudgingly). I just want to make one billion percent sure first that they'll remain in existence.

But that's the other thing: even if I got rid of all 8.99 GB of photos...is that enough to make a difference?? 10.81 GB free? Guess I've got no real point of reference for what other people's phones look like.

*I'm in the swamp of grad school... These are not great days to be using any disposable income if I can help it!!
    Replace the battery and get an SD card for your media.

At the same time, I consider an Android device that hasn't received a security patch in 2 years to be unsafe. 3 months is my limit actually.
    02-12-21 04:51 AM
    Replace the battery and get an SD card for your media.

At the same time, I consider an Android device that hasn't received a security patch in 2 years to be unsafe. 3 months is my limit actually.
    Oh...how do you replace the battery?? I didn't know that was an option (ever since the magical olden days when you could just do the straight up fancy battery pull move).

Also, to be honest...I don't quite understand the second part. 3 months? And which device might you recommend?

Oh, and I also do have an SD card (4.58 of 7.40 GB used). Just looked, and it's got some items saved (mostly photos), with other items not. I'm obviously lacking good working knowledge of all the storage stuff...
    02-12-21 05:24 AM
    Update: tracked my current charging session, and it went from 1% at 3:41a to 28% at 5:19a. That's when I noticed that somehow I was on regular snail-paced charging instead of boost (I always use boost!!!!) At 5:19, I switched over. It's now 5:27a and 30%.

Is boost now working slower?!

(Come on, my Blackberry... would it seriously kill you right now to get your effing act together?)

Got my fingers crossed!! So super stoked to know that my BB should be reaching 100% just about the time Jesus comes back. Or maybe the sun dies and plunges from the sky and we all perish. Or whatever. Hooray!!

Edit: Bahahahahaha... Noticed after I posted that the forum had ****'ed the name I'd called my BB at the end. Really, make no mistake-- I friggin (happy now, forum?) looooooooooooooooooooooooooove my BB. Enough to stand firm all these years, when I've had an entire Starbucks making fun of me once. (It was so weird. But also hilarious.)
    02-12-21 05:31 AM

Hey there- no need to replace a perfectly operational device if you do not want or need to. Battery replacement is actually very economical. In regards to storage I would highly recommend Google Photos or Microsoft OneDrive if you have and use Windows 10. Either are phenomenal for freeing up internal storage space and also not having to worry about where one's precious photos are. Of course you do also have an SD card slot and a 128GB Samsung top of the line SD card in @19 dollars on Amazon on sales. Maybe 25 regularly.

I would also suggest going into your settings and clearing the Cache on all your apps. You can also delete data and it will not harm or affect your apps, like Amazon Music (I also use). It can get quite big so every now and then I delete cache and data and just have to log back in. It doesn't effect purchased music or playlists just clears and cleans things up.

Google is another that gets gummed up. I clear out that cache and data regularly. The other culprit is whatever browser you are using.

Once you clean up all your apps (I suspect your battery life may improve if an app is causing the issue) I would recommend downloading Google Files OR SD Maid Pro to keep things on the app side tidy. I also review any apps I don't use regularly and delete them! If I find I need it again I just add and use. Adobe Scan is one I use in this manner. I kinda think of these suggestions as basic maintenance for any mobile device. If you do these things say every month or so it really helps. I do these kind of things on my mother in laws Samsung S7 Edge on her original battery and she is humming along perfectly fine.

I wish you well and hope this helps in keeping your device operating well.
    Last edited by bh7171; 02-12-21 at 01:01 PM.
    02-12-21 12:47 PM
    Just to add Google Photos and One Drive are super easy to use in backing up and securing photos. They will let you know when backed up (just turn on in each apps respective setting) and then they ask if you want to clean up your device. Press the button and presto space is cleaned up and photos are saved.
    02-12-21 12:51 PM