Hi guys. Whats the most complete back up solution for my keyone black edition ?

Currently my pics etc are done by Google. How will my apps and screen layout etc be backed up?

Cheers
    06-20-18 05:04 PM
    Screen layouts are not able to be backed up. This is a limitation of the BlackBerry Launcher. You can gain this feature by using a different launcher that has that capability (I use Nova Launcher), however you will lose your shortcut keys.

If you've installed apps from the Google Play Store, then your installed apps are already backed up (specific app settings are not backed up). When doing a factory reset, after the reset is completed and during the device setup, select "Restore from a backup" and select the most recent option. This will download and install all of the apps you had previously. As stated, some app settings or customizations are not backed up.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-20-18 05:24 PM
    Cheers mate. so there isn't a complete solution as of yet? or ever will be ? really concerns me
    06-20-18 05:27 PM
    Cheers mate. so there isn't a complete solution as of yet? or ever will be ? really concerns me
    There likely will never be a complete backup solution (it gets a little better on 8.0 with the ability to remember your app logins and autofill that information when signing into an app).

As for the screen layout backup, it is possible but it's up to BlackBerry Mobile to make it happen. It's been a requested feature since forever.
    06-20-18 05:48 PM
    Cheers. I just have to take screen shots to remind me of my layout and apps lol
    06-20-18 06:50 PM
    Screen layouts are not able to be backed up. This is a limitation of the BlackBerry Launcher. You can gain this feature by using a different launcher that has that capability (I use Nova Launcher), however you will lose your shortcut keys.

If you've installed apps from the Google Play Store, then your installed apps are already backed up (specific app settings are not backed up). When doing a factory reset, after the reset is completed and during the device setup, select "Restore from a backup" and select the most recent option. This will download and install all of the apps you had previously. As stated, some app settings or customizations are not backed up.
    Not true. It's a limitation of the BlackBerry Android OS. My most pleasant surprise when I switched to a regular Android (and between different other Androids) was how my entire home screen layout on BLACKBERRY LAUNCHER always carried over...which was something that NEVER happened on my PRIV or my KeyONE.

Not sure why it doesn't work on BlackBerry Android (or between BlackBerry Androids) but they should fix it because its a major pain in the a$$.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-20-18 06:59 PM
    Major fcking pain. blackberry need to fix these small issues before making more key 2s and 3s lol! like seriously switching to a new device is what is holding me back from buying the new key2!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-20-18 07:18 PM
    Not true. It's a limitation of the BlackBerry Android OS. My most pleasant surprise when I switched to a regular Android (and between different other Androids) was how my entire home screen layout on BLACKBERRY LAUNCHER always carried over...which was something that NEVER happened on my PRIV or my KeyONE.

Not sure why it doesn't work on BlackBerry Android (or between BlackBerry Androids) but they should fix it because its a major pain in the a$$.
    That is very interesting and very ODD. Then it is pure stupidity that BB does not also allow Launcher info to be backed up and restored.

A complete pain in the REAR!!!!
    06-20-18 11:09 PM

I have never had that happen for me, and I've owned many many Android devices. I've always had to setup my home screen from scratch, and it's a major reason I use Nova Launcher.
    06-21-18 10:33 AM
    Not sure what you are doing then. Were you using the BlackBerry Launcher on regular Android and restoring from a backup on Google when you did your device setup?
    06-21-18 10:48 AM
    Not sure what you are doing then. Were you using the BlackBerry Launcher on regular Android and restoring from a backup on Google when you did your device setup?
    I don't use BlackBerry Launcher on any phone because I can't backup the layout for when I do a factory reset. :P

I almost forgot what this thread was about and the reasoning for my post you quoted before. My post was referring to the possibility of backing up the layout (i.e. to an SD Card). I assumed the OP wanted to know about backing up in case they do a factory reset, or need to send the phone in for warranty repair.
    06-21-18 11:03 AM
    I don't use BlackBerry Launcher on any phone because I can't backup the layout for when I do a factory reset.
    Then I guess you missed the point of my post which is that BlackBerry Launcher DOES backup and restore after a reset, the only problem is it doesn't do so on BlackBerry Android. At least not on any I have tried so far. But it does back up and 100% restore itself (except for widgets) on an Essential PH-1 and a Google Pixel 2. Can't recall if it worked on a Samsung S7 or not, but Sammy's are too loaded up with bloat to really know if anything other than the stock Samsung stuff is working properly anyway.
    06-21-18 01:56 PM
    also bb apps and data no backed up either!

I don't want to switch my launcher though !
    06-21-18 02:01 PM
    Then I guess you missed the point of my post which is that BlackBerry Launcher DOES backup and restore after a reset, the only problem is it doesn't do so on BlackBerry Android. At least not on any I have tried so far. But it does back up and 100% restore itself (except for widgets) on an Essential PH-1 and a Google Pixel 2. Can't recall if it worked on a Samsung S7 or not, but Sammy's are too loaded up with bloat to really know if anything other than the stock Samsung stuff is working properly anyway.
    I may have. I read it as switching to a new device. I bet it's because BB Launcher is installed as a system app, and not installed from the Play Store (although it updates through the Play Store).
    06-21-18 02:47 PM
    so notes and contacts won't be backed up ?
    06-21-18 02:55 PM
    also bb apps and data no backed up either!

I don't want to switch my launcher though !
    Other than the BlackBerry Launcher (on non-BlackBerry devices) and Password manager, I don't believe so. The BlackBerry Hub (including account settings) would be a great one to add to the list of backed-up apps, but I don't see any sign of that happening soon.

Since I am using a personal and not corporate managed device, I use my Google account for contacts and calendar (which means the data lives on Google)...even though I use the BlackBerry apps to access the data. Not sure how it works for BlackBerry Notes and Tasks but I'm quite sure those need to run off a corporate account/server for cloud backup, and there is no other option as far as I am aware.
    06-21-18 04:11 PM
    just ditched blackberry notes as much I loved using it and downloaded Google keep. doesn't compare to notes by bb
    06-21-18 04:18 PM
    so notes and contacts won't be backed up ?
    I THINK that Notes can be backed up with an EXCHANGE account (or whatever) but I really don't know since I don't use it. I gave up on Notes since it does not backup nor restore.

I have allowed Google to deal with my contacts so that they do get backed up when syncing my gmail account.
    06-21-18 06:16 PM
    Not trying to start a way but this is one area where iOS has Android beat, I logged in my account with my new ipad and everything, to include settings and history just restored...

This is one area where I really miss desktop manager...
    06-21-18 06:52 PM
    I THINK that Notes can be backed up with an EXCHANGE account (or whatever) but I really don't know since I don't use it. I gave up on Notes since it does not backup nor restore.

I have allowed Google to deal with my contacts so that they do get backed up when syncing my gmail account.
    Yes that is one route...but I believe on the personal side that would be a subscription based active exchange account like Office 365 which basically backs up on Microsoft's servers anyway. Therefore really not that different (or any more 'private') than the Google solution.
    06-21-18 07:07 PM
    I've copied my local contacts to Google contacts and have moved my notes from notes to Google keep. only thing left now is the launcher settings and bb hub which I'll have to do from scratch. a massive pain in the back side! bb should just develop their own full back up solution which allows a new blackberry android device to be identical to old one.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-21-18 07:30 PM