Hi guys can anyone confirm if the BlackBerry launcher on the KeyOne support removing the app drawer, the option available on nougat.

Samsung S7 opted out of this option in its nougat launcher, so seems manufacturers get to cancel this option if they wanted, they had it on S7 marshmallow, left it out on Nougat, but seems back on the S8 launcher.

Hope the K1 has this option.
    04-17-17 03:57 AM
    As we haven't seen finial hardware or software.....
    04-17-17 08:02 AM
    Hi guys can anyone confirm if the BlackBerry launcher on the KeyOne support removing the app drawer, the option available on nougat.

Samsung S7 opted out of this option in its nougat launcher, so seems manufacturers get to cancel this option if they wanted, they had it on S7 marshmallow, left it out on Nougat, but seems back on the S8 launcher.

No one knows because no one has a finalized version yet
    Alan Wei likes this.
    04-17-17 12:15 PM
    Well, Kevin had a preproduction model running nougat...

So... let me rephrase, does the current BlackBerry launcher on the current Test unit have the option to remove app drawer? Or is it identical to the current launcher?
    04-17-17 02:52 PM
    Use any launcher you like--although I admit, there will be benefits to using the K1 launcher.

But I'm used to the Google Now launcher, and will likely continue to use it.
    04-17-17 05:42 PM
    I usually stick to the launcher provided by the OEM I find it gives deeper integration with the rest of the software.

The only add on I had to my S7 edge was swipe control to mimic a bit of the BB10 interface.

So I just hope BlackBerry gives the option to remove the app drawer like others have.
    04-18-17 02:49 PM
    So... let me rephrase, does the current BlackBerry launcher on the current Test unit have the option to remove app drawer? Or is it identical to the current launcher?
    No. It's identical to what exists now.
    04-18-17 05:00 PM

With my limited Android experience, if there is no App Drawer button, how do you get to see all of your apps? I reserve home screens (and there are already too many on my device) for more used apps and leave tons of them lurking in the background. I can tap the App Drawer and see them either alphabetically or recent-installs-first. With no App Drawer are they all on page after page of home screens or what might be the equivalent of home screens?
    04-18-17 05:44 PM
    I don't use any home screens, as such. My 'front' page has only the 4 apps on the bottom, I don't have a page 2 or 3 etc, and everything sits in alpha order in the app drawer.

My three swipe shortcuts are: browser, hub and timer.

Entirely suits my workflow.
    FF22 and toddshillington like this.
    04-18-17 05:56 PM
    I am pretty sure that LG had removed the app drawer to compete with iOS and perhaps to also further differentiate themselves from Samsung. iirc, Samsung was going to remove it completely, too, then surveyed their customers and went with the option to remove/disable it instead. I love the clean look of one home screen populated with a few key apps, but I don't like the way Google does the app drawer as it makes me like I am in the basement of the phone. Now, how BlackBerry/RIM did it back in the day with BBOS was quite nice: a very uniform look and experience that gave you the impression you were never "leaving" the OS.
    04-18-17 09:01 PM
    With my limited Android experience, if there is no App Drawer button, how do you get to see all of your apps? I reserve home screens (and there are already too many on my device) for more used apps and leave tons of them lurking in the background. I can tap the App Drawer and see them either alphabetically or recent-installs-first. With no App Drawer are they all on page after page of home screens or what might be the equivalent of home screens?
    That's from Samsung S8 launcher, same with LG V20, Android seems to be going the apple route, BB10 had the same layout, and frankly to me it feels easier.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone App drawer?-32618.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 12:40 AM
    I am pretty sure that LG had removed the app drawer to compete with iOS and perhaps to also further differentiate themselves from Samsung. iirc, Samsung was going to remove it completely, too, then surveyed their customers and went with the option to remove/disable it instead. I love the clean look of one home screen populated with a few key apps, but I don't like the way Google does the app drawer as it makes me like I am in the basement of the phone. Now, how BlackBerry/RIM did it back in the day with BBOS was quite nice: a very uniform look and experience that gave you the impression you were never "leaving" the OS.
    That's so true, in BBOS it exactly felt like you're describing and it never bothered me, but on android I always felt it was an extra useless dimension, and that's why I loved the fact that Samsung, and LG and probably others are giving the option to users to remove or keep the button.
    04-19-17 12:44 AM
    I see what you are saying, and I guess it is what one wants. I personally am fine scrolling in my app drawer, as well as scrolling through pages on my home screen .. I do both. I keep my regularly used apps on the home page, and the others, in my app drawer. One of the nice things of Android. Now as to the putting all apps on the home page.... I really don't know....
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 01:19 AM
    What's the app drawer? Lol is that where all the apps are? Why do you want it gone?

Edit: I get you guys now. I dislike it as well. I want everything in one place. Not the same apps in 2 separate locations n never remember where they are. Messy and not needed.
    04-19-17 01:27 AM
    What's the app drawer? Lol is that where all the apps are? Why do you want it gone?

Edit: I get you guys now. I dislike it as well. I want everything in one place. Not the same apps in 2 separate locations n never remember where they are. Messy and not needed.
    That's why I only use the app drawer, and no other pages.
    04-19-17 01:57 AM
    That's why I only use the app drawer, and no other pages.
    But what if an app you use often has a very high alpha-name. You'd have to scroll through the whole alphabet to get to it each time. For instance on my FIRST Home page, I do have Amazon Kindle (sorts low) but also, Twitter, TaskManager, PlayStore, NoteEverything, VLC, Piktures. On my Second home page I have Tracks (which I use almost daily to map and track my walks, hikes and bike rides and World Clock. Again, to get to those names/apps, I would have to scroll furiously to get to that part of the alphabet.

But then differences make the world go round....
    04-19-17 08:49 AM
    @FF22 don't forget keyboard shortcuts makes it quick and easy to access the apps 😀
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 08:55 AM
    @FF22 don't forget keyboard shortcuts makes it quick and easy to access the apps 😀
    Already forgotten. What shouldn't I forget? (take that as a dunce cap!!!)
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-19-17 09:43 AM
    I don't see what all the fuss is about with the app drawer.
    First of all if you use any other launcher, you can forget about the shortcuts, I use Nova on my Priv and the long/short press of the keys brings up BB search, if I use the stock launcher all shortcuts work as expected.
    Second, why would I want to have all my apps on home screens? I don't feel the need to turn my Droid into an iPhone, if I want an iPhone, I'll go get an iPhone.
    I currently have one screen with most apps in folders while others are just in the dock, for my needs and taste, it's a slick and clean way to keep your apps. Than I setup gestures on Nova so if I swipe down -> up I get the app drawer with all apps (functionality is basically identical to the google launcher from the Pixel), double tap the screen brings up the calculator, two finger swipe down -> up brings the calendar and two fingers up -> down brings the Nova settings menu. I always find quickly what I'm looking for.
    Now if the current top launchers would support BB shortcuts that would be a step in another universe of directions.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone App drawer?-screenshot_20170419-203222.jpg   KEYone App drawer?-screenshot_20170419-203226.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 12:39 PM
    I use a Nexus 6 on Nouget 7.0 with the BlackBerry Launcher. Here is a screenshot of my homepage...
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone App drawer?-253115.jpg  
    04-19-17 01:25 PM
    But what if an app you use often has a very high alpha-name. You'd have to scroll through the whole alphabet to get to it each time. For instance on my FIRST Home page, I do have Amazon Kindle (sorts low) but also, Twitter, TaskManager, PlayStore, NoteEverything, VLC, Piktures. On my Second home page I have Tracks (which I use almost daily to map and track my walks, hikes and bike rides and World Clock. Again, to get to those names/apps, I would have to scroll furiously to get to that part of the alphabet.

But then differences make the world go round....
    In Nougat, the top row of the app drawer dynamically places your most well used apps. So if you use Waze often for example it will be on there and you don't have to scroll to down to 'W'
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 01:38 PM
    I use a Nexus 6 on Nouget 7.0 with the BlackBerry Launcher. Here is a screenshot of my homepage...
    Well that's just sad, a lot of icons, you can't even see the wallpaper
    04-19-17 01:38 PM
    Well that's just sad, a lot of icons, you can't even see the wallpaper
    Tis a very sad state of affairs to be sure...
    04-19-17 01:55 PM
    Once again Nexus 6, Nouget 7.0, BlackBerry Launcher. App drawer. You will have to reach your own conclusions from this screenshot, whether or not it stays there with the KEYone.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone App drawer?-253117.jpg  
    04-19-17 02:18 PM
    I hope it will be optional. I don't quite understand the appeal of getting rid of it myself but maybe if it's an option, I might try it and find out.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 02:52 PM
34 12