I love my KeyOne which is in great condition and will still work on 4gLTE network after 3g is taken down. However, I got a message from my Provider (Boost Mobile) that all Blackberrys - including Android 7.1.1 OS are being decommissioned in January 2022. Is this correct? Will KeyOne Android phones no longer work? I don't want to be forced to buy another $800+ sheet of glass phone with no keyboard. I've been out of the loop on this site for a long time.
    12-04-21 12:38 AM
    I love my KeyOne which is in great condition and will still work on 4gLTE network after 3g is taken down. However, I got a message from my Provider (Boost Mobile) that all Blackberrys - including Android 7.1.1 OS are being decommissioned in January 2022. Is this correct? Will KeyOne Android phones no longer work? I don't want to be forced to buy another $800+ sheet of glass phone with no keyboard. I've been out of the loop on this site for a long time.
    I got a message from T-Mobile, which bought Sprint, which owned Boost Mobile, regarding Legacy BlackBerry devices. This only means BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10 OS and PlayBook OS.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ry-end-of-life

You should be okay.

After Jan 4, 2022, I'd still be curious if BlackBerry 10 OS devices will be able to be used as basic voice/txt devices.
    12-04-21 02:09 AM
    The link you provided from T-Mobile, I researched and saw that exact same content on other sites as well as the Blackberry site itself. However the part that concerns me is this sentence: "On January 4, 2022, BlackBerry will be decommissioning the legacy services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS" It includes Blackberry 7.1 OS.

Our KEYones run on Android 7.1.1 OS mine (and I assume everyone else's also.) I'm not sure if that sentence also means to include Android 7.1.1 ?? That's my concern and question.
    12-04-21 02:38 PM
    The link you provided from T-Mobile, I researched and saw that exact same content on other sites as well as the Blackberry site itself. However the part that concerns me is this sentence: "On January 4, 2022, BlackBerry will be decommissioning the legacy services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS" It includes Blackberry 7.1 OS.

Our KEYones run on Android 7.1.1 OS mine (and I assume everyone else's also.) I'm not sure if that sentence also means to include Android 7.1.1 ?? That's my concern and question.
    "BlackBerry 7.1 OS" does not equal "Android 7.1.1 OS" from the perspective of the statements BlackBerry made, but I guess there could be a slight risk that a carrier could get mixed-up and think BlackBerry's statement also applied to "BlackBerry Android". I'd say the numbering similarities are coincidental.
    12-04-21 02:49 PM
    OK - That makes me feel a little better. Anyone I have spoken to at Boost or in a Boost store immediately jumps and interrupts me and says "Blackberrys are outdated and incompatible, it won't work! You have to get a 5G phone!" And after Numerous phone calls, over days, of me explaining to them that it is an Android phone, someone at Boost Finally listened to me after checking my IMEI #, etc, finally got them to mail me an updated card so it will still work over the 4gLTE network; which I had to research and Specifically ask for a 4G UICC card.

Then I get this msg from Boost, with EOL for the 7.1 OS. Boost must really hate Blackberrys because they keep trying to make me get rid of it. So I'm REALLY hoping you're correct.

The irony is, that Everyone that sees my KEYone, out in public, says "Wow, that's a nice (or cool) phone! What kind is it?" When I show them it's a Blackberry Android phone, they are shocked and all say "Wow, I thought all BlackBerrys were dead and outdated." To which I say to them, Nope, BlackBerry isn't dead. There's a Huge fan base and it's more of a Business users phone. Lol
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    12-04-21 03:21 PM
    #5: I dont enter into the topic of whether it is good or not good to use a Keyone now or whether they are outdated, because we are not going to convince each other.

I go into the crux of the matter: first, Boost Mobile is now owned by Dish Networks, not Sprint (which is now Tmobile). First is to get a new SIM card from them which will work with their new networks. It seems you did it. Second, you will have to find out whether your phone works on VoLTE - one method to check is to see what is displayed in the status bar when you are on call (and not on wifi) - if it is 4G or LTE or you see a VOLTE icon in the status bar then likely you are on VoLTE (voice over LTE), which is needed for the phone to be able to call when 3G service is terminated at some point in 2022.
    spARTacus likes this.
    12-04-21 04:01 PM
    ...Anyone I have spoken to at Boost or in a Boost store immediately jumps and interrupts me and says "Blackberrys are outdated and incompatible, it won't work! You have to get a 5G phone!" And after Numerous phone calls, over days, of me explaining to them that it is an Android phone, someone at Boost Finally listened to me after checking my IMEI #, etc, finally got them to mail me an updated card so it will still work over the 4gLTE network; which I had to research and Specifically ask for a 4G UICC card.

Then I get this msg from Boost, with EOL for the 7.1 OS. Boost must really hate Blackberrys because they keep trying to make me get rid of it. So I'm REALLY hoping you're correct...
    The carriers and their reps/booths are interested in selling you a new device. Lots of them might not even know the specifics of what BlackBerry's statements mean, or that "BlackBerry" even had Android devices, and its probably not in their interest to know.

However, you do need to pay attention because of the switching to 5G in certain areas and situations, because even some of the "BlackBerry Android" devices (like many other devices also) are soon not going to work adequately.
    12-04-21 04:31 PM
    #5: I go into the crux of the matter: first, Boost Mobile is now owned by Dish Networks, not Sprint (which is now Tmobile). First is to get a new SIM card from them which will work with their new networks. It seems you did it. Second, you will have to find out whether your phone works on VoLTE - one method to check is to see what is displayed in the status bar when you are on call (and not on wifi) - if it is 4G or LTE or you see a VOLTE icon in the status bar then likely you are on VoLTE (voice over LTE), which is needed for the phone to be able to call when 3G service is terminated at some point in 2022.
    Yes, I knew about all that, Dish Network buyout, 3G being dropped, official last day March 31, 2022. I read the articles about the DOJ and FCC being concerned that a LOT of people are going to lose services (including medical devices), and not be able to afford to run out and buy a 5G phone. That is why I started researching and finally was able to get the 4G UICC card from Boost. Reps and CS seemed to be skipping over 4G LTE entirely and forcing everyone straight over to 5G, of which BlackBerry has yet to provide a phone that will run on 5G. I didn't want to be forced to buy an $800+ phone that I didn't even like just to be on the 5G Network. My KEYone already runs great on 4G LTE.

I have yet to install and activate the 4G UICC Card, at which point I should be compatible with Boost's New Extended Data Network program. It's on the list of "Things to Do". I'm sure eventually they will phase out 4g LTE also. But maybe by then BlackBerry will finally have a 5G phone for us.
    12-04-21 05:11 PM
    The carriers and their reps/booths are interested in selling you a new device. Lots of them might not even know the specifics of what BlackBerry's statements mean, or that "BlackBerry" even had Android devices, and its probably not in their interest to know.

However, you do need to pay attention because of the switching to 5G in certain areas and situations, because even some of the "BlackBerry Android" devices (like many other devices also) are soon not going to work adequately.
    Yes, I know that they just want to sell us new a device. That is the problem I was having with Boost Store employees; 1 in particular who knew Nothing about Anything; she was 21 and kept interrupting and yelling at me that Both 3G AND 4G were being shut down at the end of December. Little did she know that I've worked in the IT field for 30 years, and caught her in her lies and the fact that she didn't know what she was talking about. I had already done all the research before I went into the store to get the 4G UICC card; which of course she claimed "didn't exist". I REALLY hope BlackBerry comes out with something soon; with a keyboard, even if it's a slide out keyboard, because it seems like at this point, people are buying devices they don't want, but have to because 5G will be the only data speed protocol available.
    12-04-21 05:39 PM
    Yes, I know that they just want to sell us new a device. That is the problem I was having with Boost Store employees; 1 in particular who knew Nothing about Anything; she was 21 and kept interrupting and yelling at me that Both 3G AND 4G were being shut down at the end of December. Little did she know that I've worked in the IT field for 30 years, and caught her in her lies and the fact that she didn't know what she was talking about. I had already done all the research before I went into the store to get the 4G UICC card; which of course she claimed "didn't exist". I REALLY hope BlackBerry comes out with something soon; with a keyboard, even if it's a slide out keyboard, because it seems like at this point, people are buying devices they don't want, but have to because 5G will be the only data speed protocol available.
    Right now, there just aren't any 5G keyboard phones. There is the rumored Kickstarter phone called the Astro Slide, which we're supposed to hear an update about by now, but that device's keyboard is a landscape style like a mini laptop, which you set down on a desk to type on. It is a slide out mechanism though.

Since we don't know when that is gonna hit, if you must get a 5G phone right now to bridge the gap between your KEYone on Android Nougat and maybe some future keyboard phone...try to find a cheaper used 5G slab on Swappa or something.

You can even just type in "5G" in the search bar and you'll see all the models.
    If you must have something unique that's not "just another slab", then there's the Galaxy Fold 2, Fold 3, Z Flip 3, RAZR 5G, as well as the LG Wing 5G. The Wing was essentially LG's last phone so who knows how long it'll be updated/supported, but it's unique and much much cheaper now already.
    12-04-21 08:46 PM
    ...I REALLY hope BlackBerry comes out with something soon; with a keyboard, even if it's a slide out keyboard, because it seems like at this point, people are buying devices they don't want, but have to because 5G will be the only data speed protocol available.
    There is very little hope of that happening. "BlackBerry" is not in that business anymore.
    12-04-21 09:48 PM
    Just to clarify... BlackBerry *legacy* OS got to version 7.1. It's not a reference to Android.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_OS

Further, KEYone got to Android 8.1 Oreo.
    12-07-21 12:29 AM
    Just to clarify... BlackBerry *legacy* OS got to version 7.1. It's not a reference to Android.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_OS

Further, KEYone got to Android 8.1 Oreo.
    Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by haus21; 10-23-23 at 04:47 AM.
    12-09-21 08:00 AM
    >Further, KEYone got to Android 8.1 Oreo.

The T-Mobile/ATT version probably did. The Verizon version (BBB100-3) got stuck at 7.1.1. Still works, though, albeit without any updates for almost 3 years.

Dish, however, has a special obligation about 5G which, while not effective next month, may influence their decisions. From RCR Wireless in September, 2020:
    <quote>
    For each of Dish’s spectrum licenses in the AWS-4 (2000-2020 MHz / 2180-2200 MHz), lower 700 MHz E block and AWS H block (1915-1920 MHz/1995-2000 MHz) bands, Dish has until June 14, 2023 to provide 5G service. That service has to cover at least 70% of the population in each license area for the AWS-4 and E block licenses, and at least 75% of the population in the AWS-H block license areas. However, there’s a caveat: If Dish builds out 5G coverage in those bands that reaches at least 50% of the entire U.S. population by that June 2023 date, then it can have another two years, until June 14, 2025, to get to the 70% or 75% mark in each of the specific license areas.
    <end quote>
    So Dish has a scattered set of licenses on bands that some phones don't support, and because they sat on them (probably trying to sell them to Verizon at a profit) and didn't build them out as required, they got the Pai FCC to give them an extension, but only for 5G. Since they pay T-Mobile for minutes that they use on that network for the Boost MVNO, they will want to migrate people to their own little network when and where possible. Of course that kind of narrowband 5G is really nothing distinguishable from ordinary LTE, but the FCC believed the hype.
    12-11-21 10:22 PM
    The chances of Dish reaching 50% coverage by 2023 is roughly the same as you being able to buy a Jetson's-style car that collapses into a briefcase at the touch of a button by 2023. Dish has been sitting on that spectrum for many years, promising to do something but not actually DOING anything for all those years. I'm sure they've been trying to work out a deal with Verizon or T-Mo for that spectrum at a premium price, but at this point, it's a game of chicken, and the big carriers know if they just wait, Dish will lose it all and they'll be able to buy it for less - because everyone knows that Dish isn't going to be building out any network. They never intended to do so.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-12-21 01:25 AM