So finally saw a Keyone passing a Bell store last week. Played a bit, went back yesterday and played more.

Really digging it - the keyboard will take a bit to get used to (currently on a Priv)

Anyways, looking online, dude is selling for $650 (advertised) told me $600 firm. It's unlocked and bought from Blackberry.

Bell had it off contract for $699...is it worth the $100 difference or am I walking into a trap...

Is it worth doing an Imem check...or would that be more if it was bought through a carrier?

Thoughts/tips....i wanting to jump on...
    06-25-17 12:49 PM
    I think buying a factory unlocked is always the best way to get a device, but I think buying a device used deserves more than $100 off. First thing you have to worry about is the warranty and the second thing is you have no idea what elements this device has endured.

That being said I buy used devices all the time, you just need to put a value on that.

And I highly recommend the KEYone.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    06-25-17 12:59 PM
    You want keyboard and good battery life? No other option then. Otherwise worthless.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 01:04 PM
    mrfreeze has good points. If you buy used, try to really evaluate the seller. Hubby just sold an iphone and we let the buyers come here and meet us so they could get a feel about us, and they know where to come back to if things aren't as advertised. This can be risky for the seller too, but we evaluated them on the phone first too by asking questions before giving our address.
    BURZIN likes this.
    06-25-17 01:06 PM
    I think buying a factory unlocked is always the best way to get a device, but I think buying a device used deserves more than $100 off. First thing you have to worry about is the warranty and the second thing is you have no idea what elements this device has endured.

That being said I buy used devices all the time, you just need to put a value on that.

And I highly recommend the KEYone.
    When checking on BlackBerry website, it says about $800 cdn...so the $600 interest but still waiting to hear back atm.

I said about the warranty too, again waiting at the moment
    06-25-17 02:14 PM
    When checking on BlackBerry website, it says about $800 cdn...so the $600 interest but still waiting to hear back atm.

I said about the warranty too, again waiting at the moment
    Well $200 off is much better, especially if it's in like new condition. But you may have to live with the fact that there will be no warranty. Typically device vendors, BlackBerry Mobile in this case, don't warranty a device that's second hand.
    06-25-17 02:18 PM
    Well $200 off is much better, especially if it's in like new condition. But you may have to live with the fact that there will be no warranty. Typically device vendors, BlackBerry Mobile in this case, don't warranty a device that's second hand.
    Figured a bit.

Had to go down the same root for my Priv. I'm on Koodo, the guy selling got the phone from Telus, so I had a lucky break.

When I bought the Classic, I had to wait about 3 days before getting the unlock code as well.

Going to see when I can meet up for a test. Hopefully all is well from there
    06-25-17 02:36 PM
    Figured a bit.

Had to go down the same root for my Priv. I'm on Koodo, the guy selling got the phone from Telus, so I had a lucky break.

When I bought the Classic, I had to wait about 3 days before getting the unlock code as well.

Going to see when I can meet up for a test. Hopefully all is well from there
    Sounds good. Good luck and be safe!
    06-25-17 02:38 PM
    It depends on where you reside.

I'm in the divided states of america, so no at $600 I can buy my own directly from the manufacturer.

I understand you are in another country?

(Sidenote, it's never crossed my mind when buying anything sold in various other countries what price they were being charged in comparison to mines because what mattered is my currency and what value I was getting for my $)

That said, if it's $800 and you are saving money it's up to you then if the tradeoffs work best for you - but at $100 dollar difference, I would probably just go with the official channel especially with hardware concerns, I wouldn't risk it. What if your screen gives and you don't have warranty, that would blow
    06-25-17 02:51 PM

I'm in the divided states of america, so no at $600 I can buy my own directly from the manufacturer.

(Sidenote, it's never crossed my mind when buying anything sold in various other countries what price they were being charged in comparison to mines because what mattered is my currency and what value I was getting for my $)

That said, if it's $800 and you are saving money it's up to you then if the tradeoffs work best for you - but at $100 dollar difference, I would probably just go with the official channel especially with hardware concerns, I wouldn't risk it. What if your screen gives and you don't have warranty, that would blow
    He's in Canada, so it's 800 cdn new.
    06-25-17 02:56 PM
    If you are a fan of hardware design than its absolutely worth it on that premise alone. If you're an Android fan as well than go for it.
    Xeak likes this.
    06-25-17 02:57 PM
    be careful
    06-25-17 03:12 PM

That's true mindset now, might as well get via the carrier, so I have some protection on the phone.

Just stings that it's an extra $200 bucks, the big difference it makes
    06-25-17 03:58 PM
    !?$

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 04:06 PM
    You will have full warranty if it was purchased from a carrier. it's not an issue at all. I've sold many devices used and no issue with the carryover of warranty.

Just need to make sure it's legit.
    06-25-17 04:14 PM
    He bought it unlocked from BlackBerry.

That raises a flag because how is it possible to buy an unlocked Keyone from BlackBerry when, at least in Canada, only the carriers are selling the phone.
    I was just on the BBM website and you can't buy directly from them.

Personally, I would move on and not buy it.

Posted via CB10
    vision1961 likes this.
    06-25-17 04:16 PM

That raises a flag because how is it possible to buy an unlocked Keyone from BlackBerry when, at least in Canada, only the carriers are selling the phone.

Posted via CB10
    You can't buy factory unlocked in Canada? You can buy them from Amazon and BestBuy here in the states.
    06-25-17 04:46 PM
    You can't buy factory unlocked in Canada? You can buy them from Amazon and BestBuy here in the states.
    Not yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 05:03 PM
    Carriers won't Honor warranty if you aren't the person who bought it, from my experience.
    06-25-17 05:27 PM
    You can't buy factory unlocked in Canada?
    Not yet. Maybe sometime in a month or so?
    06-25-17 05:29 PM
    Carriers won't Honor warranty if you aren't the person who bought it, from my experience.
    Never had an issue and have claimed warranty with used product. As long as you have proof of purchase even if you aren't the original buyer you're good. Most times its a manufacturer warranty but the carrier will also accept the return. I've done it with both Bell and Rogers.
    06-25-17 05:43 PM
    There are only certain phones that are unlocked for purchase, mainly older/lower models - nothing new
    06-25-17 05:59 PM
    Never had an issue and have claimed warranty with used product. As long as you have proof of purchase even if you aren't the original buyer you're good. Most times its a manufacturer warranty but the carrier will also accept the return. I've done it with both Bell and Rogers.
    Will give it a try.

At this point for the ease of mind, just get it through carrier, in the event something goes off.

But the guy hasn't answered few of the questions...so it's going to be a pass.

It's now one of those...i want this so bad!!
    06-25-17 06:00 PM
    Will give it a try.

At this point for the ease of mind, just get it through carrier, in the event something goes off.

But the guy hasn't answered few of the questions...so it's going to be a pass.

It's now one of those...i want this so bad!!
    Agreed !!
    06-25-17 06:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    This!

Since the seller is probably not being honest with you, I could see them reporting the IMEI as stolen soon after selling it to you. Maybe they bought it fraudulently from a carrier and doesn't want to tell you that (for obvious reasons).

Bottom line, when buying used phones, always be cautious. I've luckily never had a used phone get blacklisted, but I see reports of it all the time.
    06-26-17 04:27 AM
46 12