What a terrible experience scrolling through the keyboard in portrait mode. Landscape is good but I won't get used to using the phone this way.
    07-02-18 06:58 PM
    Take a few seconds to identify which keys are activated keys for scrolling, and then enjoy your day.
    07-02-18 07:25 PM
    What a terrible experience scrolling through the keyboard in portrait mode. Landscape is good but I won't get used to using the phone this way.
    I agree. I disabled it entirely.
    07-02-18 07:31 PM
    Scrolling with the keyboard is awesome. It works perfectly fine. Easy to use too, simply slide your finger on the keyboard and the display moves. How could that ever be a bad thing that's hard to use?

Seriously, you move your finger or thumb around the keyboard and the screen shows itself to be moving the app window around.

Obviously people are definitely allowed to dislike something, no problem, I dislike stuff too. However, this is weird because the touch sensitive keyboard scrolling works exactly how it should and works well.

There is one thing that makes the touch sensitive keyboard work in strange ways and that is a feature for the physical keyboard that must be turned off and it found here:

- settings

- language & input

- keyboard settings

- BlackBerry keyboard

- type by swiping

Once there, make sure everything is disabled. This does not disable the 'flick typing' feature either.

The standard touch keyboard settings are great. You can use the Keyboard for scrolling in any app window as well as pinch to zoom on desktop mode websites and other things like photos. Double tap the keyboard in a dialog box to move the pointer around to the desired position and double tap to begin typing at the cursor again. Swipe back to delete words with one finger or use two fingers to delete two words. There are always three predictions above the keyboard that represents three different sections of the keyboard for flick typing. See the word you want and swipe upwards on the keyboard under the desired word to put that word quickly into place on the screen.

Once a person is acclimated to these fantastic features, they will soon wonder how they did not have keyboard devices the whole time.
    Last edited by Spunton_Duddley; 07-02-18 at 09:55 PM.
    07-02-18 09:28 PM
    Scrolling with the keyboard is awesome. It works perfectly fine. Easy to use too, simply slide your finger on the keyboard and the display moves. How could that ever be a bad thing that's hard to use?

Seriously, you move your finger or thumb around the keyboard and the screen shows itself to be moving the app window around.

Obviously people are definitely allowed to dislike something, no problem, I dislike stuff too. However, this is weird because the touch sensitive keyboard scrolling works exactly how it should and works well.
    For me I just find it too inconsistent. It's too sensitive when it doesn't need to be and not sensitive at all when it needs to be.

Examples:

Middle word swipe up doesn't register, no matter what I do and when it finally does sometimes it enters the predicted word twice.

As I slide my fingers accross the keyboard I have unintended predicted words inserted into the sentence.

It's also not as nearly as accurate when used to scroll the screen down or up.

You can definitely blame it on me; maybe I am not using the keyboard correctly, still, that doesn't change the experience.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-02-18 09:41 PM
    For me I just find it too inconsistent. It's too sensitive when it doesn't need to be and not sensitive at all when it needs to be.

Examples:

Middle word swipe up doesn't register, no matter what I do and when it finally does sometimes it enters the predicted word twice.

As I slide my fingers accross the keyboard I have unintended predicted words inserted into the sentence.

It's also not as nearly as accurate when used to scroll the screen down or up.

You can definitely blame it on me; maybe I am not using the keyboard correctly, still, that doesn't change the experience.
    Cool man, no worries. I just find it really easy and intuitive. However, not everybody will find it that way.

It took me some practice to get proficient with these features and now I feel like I can't life without it, including the touch pad features.
    07-02-18 09:43 PM
    Haha! Nah, I wouldn't blame the users. It's just something I find cool and easy to use!

Not your fault at all! :-)

I made a post yesterday maybe, I forget. It was about the 'pointer speed' feature and I related it to changing the speed of the function where users double tap the keyboard to move the pointer cursor around a dialog box to finely place the cursor for corrections.

However, maybe that's also related to the scrolling functionality speed too or instead of what I originally thought.

I'm going to look for a way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch keyboard scrolling.
    07-02-18 09:48 PM
    Haha! Nah, I wouldn't blame the users. It's just something I find cool and easy to use!

Not your fault at all! :-)

I made a post yesterday maybe, I forget. It was about the 'pointer speed' feature and I related it to changing the speed of the function where users double tap the keyboard to move the pointer cursor around a dialog box to finely place the cursor for corrections.

However, maybe that's also related to the scrolling functionality speed too or instead of what I originally thought.

I'm going to look for a way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch keyboard scrolling.
    Post here if you are able to find how to do it
    07-02-18 09:51 PM
    Post here if you are able to find how to do it
    Absolutely I will.
    07-02-18 09:52 PM
    It's all about the keys... not all of them are activated for scrolling.
    07-02-18 10:14 PM
    It's all about the keys... not all of them are activated for scrolling.
    Ha! That's the first time I hear that. Other than 'feel' and use, how can I tell which ones are activated? Is there any documentation to support that?
    07-02-18 10:25 PM
    The only keys unable to contribute to the touch sensitive functionality are the bottom row with the space bar. Every other key is activated for touch pad scrolling and everything else.

It's actually not even an issue that the bottom row is not touch enabled and is meant not to be touch enabled for various reasons too complicated for laymen to understand beyond noticing they are not used for scrolling.
    07-02-18 10:46 PM
    In fact, one can scroll right now, in here, by simply rubbing the very edge of Q,A, alt and P, backspace, and enter buttons. They're touch sensitivity is so robust, you hardly have to even touch them for the scrolling to work perfectly.
    anon(4297019) likes this.
    07-02-18 10:48 PM
    Ha! That's the first time I hear that. Other than 'feel' and use, how can I tell which ones are activated? Is there any documentation to support that?
    Here is the BlackBerry patent on scrolling keyboards.

TEMPORARY KEYBOARD HAVING SOME INDIVIDUAL KEYS THAT PROVIDE VARYING LEVELS OF CAPACITIVE COUPLING TO A TOUCH-SENSITIVE DISPLAY

Abstract

A physical keyboard having a plurality of individual keys temporarily overlays a touch-sensitive display. Each individual key selectively provides either of a first level of capacitive coupling and a second, different level of capacitive coupling to the touch-sensitive display. By one approach the key provides that first level of capacitive coupling to the touch-sensitive display when a user asserts the key (for example, by pressing upon the key) to thereby communicate to the touch-sensitive display a selection of that individual key. The key can provide that second level of capacitive coupling when a user touches, but does not assert, the individual key. So configured, this second level of capacitive coupling serves to communicate to the touch-sensitive display an input instruction other than a selection of that individual key.
    07-02-18 10:48 PM
    when I went to NYC K2 popup, I noticed that scrolling was much better on the new keyboard. mentioned it to the gentleman there who agreed that feedback seems to have been mixed on the K1. some were registering more success than others.
    07-02-18 10:57 PM
    The hardest part for me is that I can't test this right now, my keyboard went (.)(.)'s up and hopefully I'll be getting my replacement keyboard tomorrow!
    07-02-18 11:02 PM
    Here is the BlackBerry patent on scrolling keyboards.

TEMPORARY KEYBOARD HAVING SOME INDIVIDUAL KEYS THAT PROVIDE VARYING LEVELS OF CAPACITIVE COUPLING TO A TOUCH-SENSITIVE DISPLAY

Abstract

A physical keyboard having a plurality of individual keys temporarily overlays a touch-sensitive display. Each individual key selectively provides either of a first level of capacitive coupling and a second, different level of capacitive coupling to the touch-sensitive display. By one approach the key provides that first level of capacitive coupling to the touch-sensitive display when a user asserts the key (for example, by pressing upon the key) to thereby communicate to the touch-sensitive display a selection of that individual key. The key can provide that second level of capacitive coupling when a user touches, but does not assert, the individual key. So configured, this second level of capacitive coupling serves to communicate to the touch-sensitive display an input instruction other than a selection of that individual key.
    Do you have a link to an English translation? (g)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and melhiore like this.
    07-03-18 12:12 AM
    Do you have a link to an English translation? (g)
    From Crackberry way back....
    Attached Thumbnails Keyboard scrolling is a joke-627645.jpg  
    07-03-18 12:24 AM
    I believe that the keys themselves are not capacitive, it is the frets between the rows that are capacitive.

Once you know this is makes scrolling easier, but I agree it is far from as smooth as scrolling on the screen.
    07-03-18 02:17 AM
    I swear every new blackberry device I remember buying from z10 onwards has had nothing but troubles from release date. absolutely tragic. these guys need invest a bit more in testing rather than flogging duff handsets for a quick cash raise !!!!
    07-03-18 02:54 AM
    I like what you did there (.)(.)

lol
    07-03-18 03:44 AM
    I swear every new blackberry device I remember buying from z10 onwards has had nothing but troubles from release date. absolutely tragic. these guys need invest a bit more in testing rather than flogging duff handsets for a quick cash raise !!!!
    Strange, my experiences have always been good with every single BlackBerry I've owned. Even the Storm because I waited months before deciding to get it, so the software worked.

That's too bad you've had bad experiences. I suppose everybody has a different perspective. I have a bizarre tendency to almost always view positives over negatives and prefer to enjoy what the devices do for me rather than focus on problems. Even at the worst of times.

Life's too to short to be negative, in my opinion. I remember being in line for the Z10 and have nothing but fond memories of how excited and happy I was to be on BlackBerry 10 from the beginning.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    07-03-18 03:47 AM
    In fact, I spend quite a bit of time simply looking at the hardware and admiring the design details. Even after months of use, I still gaze lovingly at their beauty.

That Z10 was seriously so cool. I love that industrial design very much, to this day. I think that BlackBerry Mobile should consider building an almost exact replica of that except make that entire glass piece display, edge to edge between the top and bottom bezels. Leave those top and bottom composite bezels and put stereo speakers in them like the Z30. Also keep the removable battery and everything.

That would be a great device and would obviously run Android.

They might have to make it a bit bigger to accommodate perhaps a higher capacity removable battery.
    07-03-18 03:52 AM
    Works fine for me. Works exceptionally well in landscape mode. Love that it also works to quickly adjust EV in camera mode.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-03-18 11:12 AM
    Works fine for me. Works exceptionally well in landscape mode. Love that it also works to quickly adjust EV in camera mode.
    Nice one! Didn't know about it.
    07-03-18 11:52 AM
42 12