I would like to express my disappointment for purchasing K1. Today was the final chance for this phone. This is it. Very poor performance, notification issues all the time (which were not resolved even though with bb support). The phone app is so useless, not giving me missed calls, taking 2-3 minutes to load history even after I hung up. Text app not receiving texts not giving me notifications. Email issues notifications don't work properly! One day notify the other day not. So..... What's good with it if the basics do not work. Especially for business you can't rely on this phone! Only battery is good and keyboard. Even my iPhone 5s which I bought in 2014 can perform better! I would not recommend bb any more!
    02-07-19 12:14 PM
    I have had a Keyone from near launch and have found it to be fine and certainly it vastly improved with Oreo update
    msbnty likes this.
    02-07-19 01:14 PM
    hello, that's exactly what I posted on the forum a few days ago, I also had a K1 and I was very disappointed by its quality either aesthetically or graphically, I found that application for calls is very ugly with a lot of flaws, the only thing I liked was the battery life, otherwise I stay is really low quality, even the aluminum frame and too fragile. I exchange for a new blackberry passport, it is true that it lacks applications but I find the pleasure of good quality.
    02-07-19 01:43 PM
    I would like to express my disappointment for purchasing K1. Today was the final chance for this phone. This is it. Very poor performance, notification issues all the time (which were not resolved even though with bb support). The phone app is so useless, not giving me missed calls, taking 2-3 minutes to load history even after I hung up. Text app not receiving texts not giving me notifications. Email issues notifications don't work properly! One day notify the other day not. So..... What's good with it if the basics do not work. Especially for business you can't rely on this phone! Only battery is good and keyboard. Even my iPhone 5s which I bought in 2014 can perform better! I would not recommend bb any more!
    How long have you been using the device? Have you performed a factory reset to see if this clears the issues . Are you using the apps that came with installed on the device? Have you checked your notification settings ?
    02-07-19 02:26 PM
    Changed my mind... will post as thread...
    02-07-19 05:01 PM
    I sadly must say I agree with you. The Keyone is pretty unstable, notifications of emails are often delayed (through HUB) and using basic functionality such as navigation makes it crash more then once.

All stuff that I would have been acceptable a few years ago, but many other phone suppliers have shown that this should not be the case anymore.

I love the physical keyboard but am sick of rebooting whilst driving or not being able to answer calls cause I forgot to shut down a few apps.

I'm considering switching again...
    02-08-19 03:30 AM
    I sadly must say I agree with you. The Keyone is pretty unstable, notifications of emails are often delayed (through HUB) and using basic functionality such as navigation makes it crash more then once.

All stuff that I would have been acceptable a few years ago, but many other phone suppliers have shown that this should not be the case anymore.

I love the physical keyboard but am sick of rebooting whilst driving or not being able to answer calls cause I forgot to shut down a few apps.

I'm considering switching again...
    I just did a test opening as many apps as could on my keyone, including Google maps, YouTube, various social media apps, banking apps, multiple Web browsers with multiple tabs open on each browser(keyboard,chrome,firefox). Bluetooth on and connected to headphones, WiFi on and connected. My keyone did not crash and I did not have any apps crash, they were slow but overall my silver keyone stood the test and didn't crap out. So... I disagree with your assessment.
    02-08-19 05:55 AM
    I agree that it will survive the above test. The problem is that when using esp Google Maps for a longer period of time (like whilst driving) it seems to fill the memory to the max. If you then receive a call it does crap out. only way to prevent is, is to make sure all other apps are closed before I start Google Maps. And that's ridiculous in my opinion.
    02-08-19 06:53 AM
    I agree that it will survive the above test. The problem is that when using esp Google Maps for a longer period of time (like whilst driving) it seems to fill the memory to the max. If you then receive a call it does crap out. only way to prevent is, is to make sure all other apps are closed before I start Google Maps. And that's ridiculous in my opinion.
    Although this cannot be the sole reason for your issues , which variation of the device are you using as there is 3gb ram and 4gb ram version .

In addition, regardless of which variation I am sure you appreciate that the more one asks of a device whether a mobile phone, laptop or a desk top pc, there will come a point where the device slows down, becomes sluggish or even crashes .

The Blackberry Key 2 boasts a 6 gb ram which would be enough run most apps without causing a slow down .

You do not say what apps you are using and perhaps they are ram hungry that in turn didn't mean the device is unreliable, it means you are asking too much of the device.

Have you checked to see which apps are using your memory ?

Personally I don't normally have more than 2/3 apps open at any one time and therefore cannot say I have had the same issue but I will fire up the Keyone and see if I can replicate the issue you are facing .
    02-08-19 07:16 AM
    I have the 3gb model, so I do think a lot of the limitations are caused by that. Average memory usage is 2.7Gb over the last 12 hours. So that shows that there is very little left. Nonetheless it should kill apps that aren't used actively when extra memory is needed by itself. That's how Oreo should act, but on my KeyONE it accepts to seize the current app running (Google Maps) and prevent doing the main target of a phone (calling). That in fact is the only bit that bothers me. I'm okay if I can't have more then 3 apps open if memory is an issue.
    02-08-19 07:27 AM
    Go to the Phone app settings and check if it's allowed to draw over other apps.

At 3gb ram, it can only handle so much. On my K1, I periodically go through each app in settings and force stop those I don't use often. Then perform 32 second reboot. This keeps it up to speed.

It's a Ford focus. You're not going to haul a cord of firewood with it.
    02-08-19 07:54 AM
    I have the 3gb model, so I do think a lot of the limitations are caused by that. Average memory usage is 2.7Gb over the last 12 hours. So that shows that there is very little left. Nonetheless it should kill apps that aren't used actively when extra memory is needed by itself. That's how Oreo should act, but on my KeyONE it accepts to seize the current app running (Google Maps) and prevent doing the main target of a phone (calling). That in fact is the only bit that bothers me. I'm okay if I can't have more then 3 apps open if memory is an issue.
    Have you stopped app working in the background? I think with some setting adjustments you may see an improvement because there is no reason why when using maps your call functionality should suffer ....
    02-08-19 08:00 AM
    Just a year now! Using default apps but for sms I ve changed as the default does not receive text messages anymore! Not tried factory reset. I am of the opinion that if a factory reset is needed for a year phone (relatively new) it means that is not a reliable phone. I don't have time for this fuss now. I have 3 email accounts for work so many things to back up and re-install again. Imagine that yesterday I was under pressure at work, having several calls and emails and I could not find my missed calls, no notifications on emails and texts, and also phone app crashing while talking! What a mess!
    02-08-19 10:27 AM
    Just a year now! Using default apps but for sms I ve changed as the default does not receive text messages anymore! Not tried factory reset. I am of the opinion that if a factory reset is needed for a year phone (relatively new) it means that is not a reliable phone. I don't have time for this fuss now. I have 3 email accounts for work so many things to back up and re-install again. Imagine that yesterday I was under pressure at work, having several calls and emails and I could not find my missed calls, no notifications on emails and texts, and also phone app crashing while talking! What a mess!
    Whilst I am sympathetic to your plight , you are not telling us if you have checked your notification settings. A factory reset will take about an hour of your time including Re installing your three email accounts. If this is too long for you to waste in order to potentially solve the issue then perhaps instead of bemoaning the device , simply accept that a years worth of downloads, history, memory usage and no clean up is bound to cause issues just like it would a laptop or desktop Pc or for that matter any other mobile device ....
    02-08-19 12:08 PM
    I just purchased a keyone over a week ago and was hesitant because of some of the threads. I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the feel and speed of this phone. I haven't experience any issues or problems with notification or emails
    Last edited by bansheeboyz; 02-08-19 at 01:17 PM.
    02-08-19 12:33 PM
    I get your complaint, having the basic functions of a phone not working is simply ridiculous. However I feel that there is a way to fix your issue, factory reset should be last resort imo, I'm going to do another test to recreate your scenario bc I have never experienced that before. I've used a few low end android devices with a lot of apps open and Google maps running and I have received calls whilst all that happening and I've never experienced the phone or app crapping out. As stated earlier in this thread all phones or devices have their limit and capabilities. The keyone compared to speed and performance against my pixel 2 will lose most of the time, that does not mean however that the keyone is not efficient or usefull especially in current time. If you need help optimizing your bb device, just ask there plenty here to help but don't come to a blackberry fan site and try to rant and lie through your teeth stating that the keyone is an unusable device.
    02-08-19 01:16 PM
    Please check the facts, I've been here since 2013 and have been posting since. I didn't do the opening post, but agreed on the statement.

I love the brand and want to love the keyone as much as my previous berries. But in some ways it just lacks. There are quite a few Android devices that perform quite a lot better on same or lesser chipset and RAM.

So in my honest opinion there is room for improvement, and yes I can tinker away on my own in Android, but that shouldn't be necessary in a year old device.

It is not unusable in my opinion, but also not the "Get things done, workhorse" that was advertised. I come from a 2 months old clean Oreo install with not a ****load of apps and it simply doesn't kill of apps and processes quickly enough to prevent itself from struggling.

Maybe my connected fitbit that eats 150+ mb of Ram is the bottleneck, but hey, that's quite a normal usage in my opinion.

So don't get me wrong I like the device for what it is, but to be my daily driver I want it to get me hassle free through almost every day. With the keyone and my usecase it just doesn't always work and that's a bit of a letdown.
    02-08-19 03:37 PM
    sorry to hear about the experience the OP and others have had. I'm glad to say that as the much as I'm disenchanted with android my K1 has been reliable and functional and hasn't given me any grief.
    02-08-19 05:07 PM
    I've never had any of those problems with my Keyone!
    02-08-19 06:56 PM
    All notifications settings are ok even bb support confirmed this. I use my phone mostly for business (emails, texts, calls) plus only 3 apps for social networking. I agree with you that factory reset may solve the issues but to be honest as i said on my initial post i had never had to do factory reset on my iphone 5s which is over 5 years old. What's the point of having a year old phone which is so unstable?
    02-08-19 09:30 PM
    All notifications settings are ok even bb support confirmed this. I use my phone mostly for business (emails, texts, calls) plus only 3 apps for social networking. I agree with you that factory reset may solve the issues but to be honest as i said on my initial post i had never had to do factory reset on my iphone 5s which is over 5 years old. What's the point of having a year old phone which is so unstable?
    You have used the device for a year , you have downloaded files, images , contracts.... Any of which may have had malicious software contained.

Blackberry android devices are only as secure as the user allows them to be . Yes they will keep out most threats BUT if the user does something, even if not on purpose , that allows a threat to infiltrate the device then sure you can say the device is "unstable"

Many thousand Keyone devices have been sold around the world and it would seem that they, like every other brand of mobile device, suffer from issues but this so far widespread reports of instability isn't one of them.

So either you can continue to raise the issue or you can take an hour of your time and do something about it .

When your laptop / pc has an issue , do you simply carry on or do you fix it ? The same applies in everything in life.... If it doesn't work , fix it and if it does , leave it in peace.

Ultimately my point is and it is with respect that potentially your usage of the device is the cause of the issues ....I accept it may be an issue with the device itself but you have used it for a year and didn't say it was unstable at the beginning so I am assuming that this issue has developed over time and over use.

Only way to find out ...factory reset
    02-09-19 01:22 AM
    unreliable K1 or unreliable user??
    02-09-19 03:14 AM

So in my honest opinion there is room for improvement, and yes I can tinker away on my own in Android, but that shouldn't be necessary in a year old device.

It is not unusable in my opinion, but also not the "Get things done, workhorse" that was advertised. I come from a 2 months old clean Oreo install with not a ****load of apps and it simply doesn't kill of apps and processes quickly enough to prevent itself from struggling.

Maybe my connected fitbit that eats 150+ mb of Ram is the bottleneck, but hey, that's quite a normal usage in my opinion.

So don't get me wrong I like the device for what it is, but to be my daily driver I want it to get me hassle free through almost every day. With the keyone and my usecase it just doesn't always work and that's a bit of a letdown.
    I can completely agree with the your statement that there is room for improvement, as there should be. As a fan of blackberry I hope they keep improving model after model.

My apologies for mistaking you for the op. I just get heated when people just post shade just for the sake of it, which is how I perceived the title and original post.

Your concerns and preference on how you want your device to react are valid and practical. Which in turn is a respectable argument, unlike someone just burying the device for kicks.
    02-09-19 03:41 AM
    I can completely agree with the your statement that there is room for improvement, as there should be. As a fan of blackberry I hope they keep improving model after model.

My apologies for mistaking you for the op. I just get heated when people just post shade just for the sake of it, which is how I perceived the title and original post.

Your concerns and preference on how you want your device to react are valid and practical. Which in turn is a respectable argument, unlike someone just burying the device for kicks.
    It's takes a bigger person to apologise and accept when one has made a mistake .....today you are the bigger person 👍
    Praganad likes this.
    02-09-19 03:59 AM
    I have a blackberry keyone that is my personal phone and an iPhone 6 that is my company phone. I work in outside sales, so I'm driving all over the state. I use navigation on the Keyone with Google maps and I might, before the car is moving, start listening to a YouTube video and let that play. lately I've been binge listening to the radio show Gunsmoke, which is awesome and I'm using maps. I've never had a problem.
    with the iPhone it's a different story, seems like everytime I touch the dang thing it calls somebody. I'll hear "hello" "hello" in my pocket and it has called somebody. the Keyone has never had that problem. the difference is on the Keyone, even if you were to wake it up accidentally, which I haven't done, you have to tap this little phone icon to call. on the iPhone you touch anywhere on the screen when the call log is up somebody is getting called, probably the last person on that list you wanted to talk to.

the keyone is perfect for me, but I'm not a person to let unused apps run - although I do run some at the same time as mentioned above. would more ram be the answer? then would an upgrade to Key2 help?
    02-09-19 06:28 AM
37 12