So far so good w/ my unlocked KEYᵒⁿᵉ on T-Mobile. I did just run updates (and lmao, it took 14 min to update 41 apps, which in 14 min my Priv might update ONE app haha!) And I did notice the D-tek app as not updated cuz it said End of Life, a few others as well like BlackBerry notable.

Works ok, calls, sms, msgr, discord, cb app, YouT are all fine. Gonna test GPS later today: that's the latest thing to go out on my Priv (every 5-10 sec it'll try to re-position).

Haven't taken this baby out since early March it turns out. Honestly don't know how I've been able to resist for this long! 😯
    Paul Reichert and italia2014 like this.
    08-02-22 05:08 PM
    So far so good w/ my unlocked KEYᵒⁿᵉ on T-Mobile. I did just run updates (and lmao, it took 14 min to update 41 apps, which in 14 min my Priv might update ONE app haha!) And I did notice the D-tek app as not updated cuz it said End of Life, a few others as well like BlackBerry notable.

Works ok, calls, sms, msgr, discord, cb app, YouT are all fine. Gonna test GPS later today: that's the latest thing to go out on my Priv (every 5-10 sec it'll try to re-position).

Haven't taken this baby out since early March it turns out. Honestly don't know how I've been able to resist for this long! ������
    Yeah most all the BlackBerry Apps are EOL at this point.... the HUB itself isn't, but then it's pretty outdated.

Big thing would really be how well it handles T-Mobile's network in comparison to a modern device that has bands 66 & 71 along with their newer 5G Bands. A guy here at work had an older S7 on T-Mobile and he lost coverage without B71 and 3G Bands. Had to get a new phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-22 07:13 AM
    Even in the areas where TMO still uses band 4, once 3G shutdown is complete, I think older devices like the KEYone lacking bands 66 and 71, will also suffer from network congestion.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-22 08:56 AM
    Yeah most all the BlackBerry Apps are EOL at this point.... the HUB itself isn't, but then it's pretty outdated.

Big thing would really be how well it handles T-Mobile's network in comparison to a modern device that has bands 66 & 71 along with their newer 5G Bands. A guy here at work had an older S7 on T-Mobile and he lost coverage without B71 and 3G Bands. Had to get a new phone.
    Phone will be fine, I use it as well as a PRIV up and down the east coast no issues. As of 2022 here are the bands they use:

T-Mobile network frequencies & technology

You can check if your phone supports the T-Mobile frequencies below in order to connect to our network. This can get technical, so it's a lot simpler to just use the IMEI Status Check if you have the device already.

Devices often support more frequencies than these, in order to roam on other domestic and international wireless networks. They are not needed on the T-Mobile network.

Extended Range (XR) 5G

With Extended Range 5G, you’ll receive nationwide coverage, faster speeds than our 4G LTE and a reliable connection indoors and out from the big city to rural areas.
    Frequencies that can provide XR 5G:
    Band n71 (600 MHz)
    Check out What is 5G? to learn how it works!
    Ultra Capacity (UC) 5G

With Ultra Capacity 5G, you’ll experience a performance boost, a reliable connection in crowded locations, and speeds as fast as Wi-Fi.
    Look for the newly released or icon on your iPhone or Android screen to know when you’re in an area with our fastest speeds!
    Frequencies that can provide UC 5G:
    Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
    Band n258 (24 GHz)
    Band n260 (39 GHz)
    Band n261 (28 GHz)
    Speeds as fast as Wi-Fi based on analysis by T-Mobile of Speedtest Intelligence® data from Ookla® U.S. median 5G T-Mobile results compared to mobile Wi-Fi results from cities with 2.5GHz speeds for Q2 2021. 2.5GHz available only in select cities (see t-mobile.com/5GLayers). Ookla trademarks used under license and reprinted with permission.

Extended Range 4G LTE

Frequencies that can provide Extended Range LTE
    Band 12 (700 MHz)
    Band 71 (600 MHz)
    Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in buildings than ever before.
    4G LTE

Frequencies that can provide LTE:
    Band 2 (1900 MHz)
    Band 5 (850 MHz)
    Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
    Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).
    4G LTE offers fast download speeds, up to 50% faster speeds than 3G. See Data speeds.
    Voice and data services only work at the same time when on you have VoLTE enabled on your device. Otherwise, LTE only provides data.
    VoLTE ("Voice over LTE")
    italia2014 likes this.
    08-03-22 10:12 AM
    For the KEYone
    Phone will be fine, I use it as well as a PRIV up and down the east coast no issues. As of 2022 here are the bands they use:

T-Mobile network frequencies & technology

You can check if your phone supports the T-Mobile frequencies below in order to connect to our network. This can get technical, so it's a lot simpler to just use the IMEI Status Check if you have the device already.

Devices often support more frequencies than these, in order to roam on other domestic and international wireless networks. They are not needed on the T-Mobile network.

Extended Range (XR) 5G

With Extended Range 5G, you’ll receive nationwide coverage, faster speeds than our 4G LTE and a reliable connection indoors and out from the big city to rural areas.
    Frequencies that can provide XR 5G:
    Band n71 (600 MHz)
    Ultra Capacity (UC) 5G

With Ultra Capacity 5G, you’ll experience a performance boost, a reliable connection in crowded locations, and speeds as fast as Wi-Fi.
    Look for the newly released or icon on your iPhone or Android screen to know when you’re in an area with our fastest speeds!
    Frequencies that can provide UC 5G:
    Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
    Band n258 (24 GHz)
    Band n260 (39 GHz)
    Band n261 (28 GHz)
    Speeds as fast as Wi-Fi based on analysis by T-Mobile of Speedtest Intelligence® data from Ookla® U.S. median 5G T-Mobile results compared to mobile Wi-Fi results from cities with 2.5GHz speeds for Q2 2021. 2.5GHz available only in select cities (see t-mobile.com/5GLayers). Ookla trademarks used under license and reprinted with permission.

Extended Range 4G LTE

Frequencies that can provide Extended Range LTE
    Band 12 (700 MHz)
    Band 71 (600 MHz)
    Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in buildings than ever before.
    4G LTE

Frequencies that can provide LTE:
    Band 2 (1900 MHz)
    Band 5 (850 MHz)
    Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
    Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).
    4G LTE offers fast download speeds, up to 50% faster speeds than 3G. See Data speeds.
    Voice and data services only work at the same time when on you have VoLTE enabled on your device. Otherwise, LTE only provides data.
    VoLTE ("Voice over LTE")
    I recommend using cellmapper to look at your local towers, as often carrier's do not utilize all their bands on every tower. Very often they have regional limits on some bands. If your are in and area or traveling where B12 is utilized a lot, an old BlackBerry might be usable. If not it will be problematic.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-22 11:13 AM
    For the KEYone

I recommend using cellmapper to look at your local towers, as often carrier's do not utilize all their bands on every tower. Very often they have regional limits on some bands. If your are in and area or traveling where B12 is utilized a lot, an old BlackBerry might be usable. If not it will be problematic.
    All carriers use two primary and two overflow, they also use other carriers as backup.you might never notice but your phone will show a different carrier once in a while it’s how they handle peak times.
    italia2014 likes this.
    08-04-22 07:43 AM
    All carriers use two primary and two overflow, they also use other carriers as backup.you might never notice but your phone will show a different carrier once in a while it’s how they handle peak times.
    If you say so....

Attachment 452992

Per cellmapper the only tower near my home has B12, B66, B71 on it. But as you can see... most the towers here would offer poor support for a KEYone. Also doesn't line up with your theory of two primary and two secondary.... But that's just my little backwater, as I said anyone can check their local conditions.

And as I understand the roaming, it's not about poor coverage it's about locations where T-Mobile has a roaming agreements in place with other carriers, because they have NO coverage in the region - not just one neighborhood or side of town. Coverage maps would be pointless if you could roam on any network that has coverage.
    08-04-22 03:50 PM
    If you say so....

Attachment 452992

Per cellmapper the only tower near my home has B12, B66, B71 on it. But as you can see... most the towers here would offer poor support for a KEYone. Also doesn't line up with your theory of two primary and two secondary.... But that's just my little backwater, as I said anyone can check their local conditions.

And as I understand the roaming, it's not about poor coverage it's about locations where T-Mobile has a roaming agreements in place with other carriers, because they have NO coverage in the region - not just one neighborhood or side of town. Coverage maps would be pointless if you could roam on any network that has coverage.
    Sorry carriers swap out all the time, if they do not cover they in most markets have agreements to help carry the load. If in your market they do not sorry but that’s not the norm
    italia2014 likes this.
    08-04-22 04:14 PM
    Yeah so to be fair, this has clearly become worse than my Priv now, I suspect that one day when it overheated on me outside I may have caused some permanent damage.

GPS is having issues similar to the Priv: skips, and most annoyingly tries to re-establish location every few sec. When following the guided view this makes the map too erratic to follow unless you're familiar w/ the route. When zoomed out to the initial "directions" view (a top down map showing the entire journey, at least in Google maps) it's less jarring (since the little dot that's you occasionally bumps off the road you're on, but this often has little effect on the overall pathing, so you can still follow along).

But the real trouble is simply w/ using it. Apps crash regularly, obviously the more demanding ones more often, such as Ring cam or bank apps. But basically anything, from the browser to YouT is at constant risk of freezing for 20-40 sec at a time. At times you get a "this app has stopped" msg, but other times it simply fails and takes you back to the home screen. Most fun when this happens during the log-in steps. Log in-crash-open app again-to the log in screen 😂 🙄 good times.

As I toy around w/ the idea of giving the pixel 6a a shot, I'm unfortunately retiring this old KEYᵒⁿᵉ 😭 😭 man am I gonna miss this design, the only runner up to the look/feel/style of my Priv that I've ever had.
    08-09-22 03:47 AM
    Yeah so to be fair, this has clearly become worse than my Priv now, I suspect that one day when it overheated on me outside I may have caused some permanent damage.

GPS is having issues similar to the Priv: skips, and most annoyingly tries to re-establish location every few sec. When following the guided view this makes the map too erratic to follow unless you're familiar w/ the route. When zoomed out to the initial "directions" view (a top down map showing the entire journey, at least in Google maps) it's less jarring (since the little dot that's you occasionally bumps off the road you're on, but this often has little effect on the overall pathing, so you can still follow along).

But the real trouble is simply w/ using it. Apps crash regularly, obviously the more demanding ones more often, such as Ring cam or bank apps. But basically anything, from the browser to YouT is at constant risk of freezing for 20-40 sec at a time. At times you get a "this app has stopped" msg, but other times it simply fails and takes you back to the home screen. Most fun when this happens during the log-in steps. Log in-crash-open app again-to the log in screen ������ ������ good times.

As I toy around w/ the idea of giving the pixel 6a a shot, I'm unfortunately retiring this old KEYᵒⁿᵉ ������ ������ man am I gonna miss this design, the only runner up to the look/feel/style of my Priv that I've ever had.
    Can Factory reset it....

But in the end developers have a target that they use for building their apps.... they want to support older devices to a point, but there is old and there is ancient. KEYone was really a 2016 midgrade hardware package, and Android 8 is now 5 versions behind.... that's likly way below what vendors are expecting to see for devices running in the USA.

Even today's entry level phones are much more powerful than a KEYone. But a Pixel 6a would be a good choice.... good specs and long support life cycle. Will say that you do get use to higher screen refresh rates on the higher end devices.
    08-09-22 08:17 AM
    Even today's entry level phones are much more powerful than a KEYone. But a Pixel 6a would be a good choice.... good specs and long support life cycle. Will say that you do get use to higher screen refresh rates on the higher end devices.
    Yeah I'm just surprised that it went before my Priv, which has actually endured more close calls.

I've seen what 120Hz can do since getting the first Razer phone in 🤔 2017 (?) actually and it's neat but def not a must.
    08-10-22 03:26 AM
    Yeah I'm just surprised that it went before my Priv, which has actually endured more close calls.

I've seen what 120Hz can do since getting the first Razer phone in ������ 2017 (?) actually and it's neat but def not a must.
    Priv was a flagship phone that BlackBerry had built to their standards. Key devices were TCL phones, yes the KEYone was fully designed by BlackBerry in 2015/2016, but I expect TCL made it their way.
    08-11-22 07:09 AM
    Priv was a flagship phone that BlackBerry had built to their standards. Key devices were TCL phones
    True and on that note, I can't miss another opportunity to admire this hardware. My Moto G7 Play is said to have gorilla glass 3 and it may be true (this actually worries me a little about pixel 6a) but the amount of scuffs and microscratches that I've accumulated is pretty annoying, especially in the corners.

Priv has a few small (1/10 inch) nicks, but overall still looks gorgeous. I think a lot of it staying in good shape is due to those little metal rails which keep the screen off the surface (top has a tiny protrusion, much larger by the bottom speaker).

But overall, this has held up better than anything me and my wife have owned, which includes multiple iPhones (on her end hehe) and even the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, which has def been solid but that backplate separation is no joke. But I have dropped it several times, and the back and sides have held up well, w/ just those same few nicks here and there. In another thread I probably mentioned how I've dropped it face down from stomach level onto hardwood flooring, so flat on its face that I'd have bet money the screen was shattered. Not a scratch. I've fallen backwards on it to the point of damaging how crisp the slider mechanism works, and prior to that it was developing a small separation between the screen and its back body panel. Was honestly worried, as I was getting up, that I bent the frame broke the slider and made it unusable. Just the other day I took an hour+ long call on it outside in 97 ° heat w/ the kids running around, and I was sweating all over chasing them to the point where after the call I had to take a few moments to clean the screen smudge off (😊 lol) but still no issues. And I keep expecting little things like that to affect my earphone, or speaker becoming full of static. But it's all fine, even the regularly used headphone jack.

Obviously there have been victims, my vibration motor failing for ex, but for this Priv to held up so long is kind of incredible. And that's w/ the backdrop of people back in the day having problems w/ their pearl ball (not in my case, surprisingly) and the menu strip detaching from their Torch (happened twice, in my case) which is simply to say BlackBerry quality was at times hit or miss.
    08-15-22 01:47 AM
    In a rare occurrence, had to plug both my pixel 6a and my Priv cuz they were low. Spending a few min updating and messing around on this KEYᵒⁿᵉ and man what a joy these buttons were, and I especially love the higher nav menu keys and how the volume rocker feels. This remains my fav combo of soft + clicky when it comes to the side buttons on any phone. 🤗
    09-20-22 08:40 AM
    Took less than 15 min for 28 apps hehe, while the 6a could update 42 apps in less than 5 min. Still not too bad tho for an old, tired sd625 😊
    09-20-22 08:52 AM
    Took less than 15 min for 28 apps hehe, while the 6a could update 42 apps in less than 5 min. Still not too bad tho for an old, tired sd625
    What I really find strange is how long the Priv takes to update apps. And it's not really a question of CPU power, as there is plenty enough for that task.
    09-20-22 08:58 AM
    What I really find strange is how long the Priv takes to update apps. And it's not really a question of CPU power, as there is plenty enough for that task.
    I assumed it was something with how BlackBerry had implemented Android within their first go-around using somebody else's OS instead of proprietary controls.
    09-20-22 10:59 AM
    Yeah for sure. There have been a number of instances where I've seen the Priv show to just have more HP than my key1, as it really should, but w/ app updates it's impressively slow. I think the longest I've seen is around 8 min for 1 app but that's only when I've been patient enough to keep track lol
    09-20-22 12:26 PM
    Also the power up and reboot continue to run in excellent time on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Under a min and right around the 45 sec mark, on avg 😎
    09-21-22 10:41 PM
    Taking my KEYᵒⁿᵉ for a couple of full work days for the first time since March. Wish me luck 😇
    09-24-22 01:59 PM
    Well, after 2 full work days, it's clear why around March I basically decommissioned it (even had to find my SD card) this lag is hard to live w/ and as I'm sure I've noted elsewhere, surprisingly it's even worse than my Priv.

Pros: man this hardware is gorgeous, speaker quality and speed dial were a joy, it was sooo great to get all my shortcuts back, every txt msg is fun, conversation starter w/ in minutes of day 1, gps monster glitch has been fixed and I even used Google maps using pic-in-pic w/ YouT in my main app (!) which is pretty hilarious for this little bb.

Cons: the stutters and lag are in a league of their own, I'm talking 10+ sec just waiting for the screen to light up after hitting the power button, tons and tons of "X app has stopped responding" errors, signal loss/recovery (such as disconnecting from wifi when I leave the house, or driving through a known blackout zone) usually leads to so much locking up that I'd just restart it.

Interestingly, when I was swapping my sim back into this pixel 6a, the feel of it (the heft and boxy frame) actually gave me that pull to hurry up and slap the card in already. And after doing so I didn't feel that ping tugging me back to the bb - which I almost always do.

Rip my beloved k1, for being a handset I just couldn't live w/ out (I've even bought multiple, and gave one to a coworker) it's pretty clear that it just can't really hang in there anymore, although I enjoy many Oreo (and, of course, bb) features much more than more modern android ones.
    09-26-22 09:07 PM
    Well, after 2 full work days, it's clear why around March I basically decommissioned it (even had to find my SD card) this lag is hard to live w/ and as I'm sure I've noted elsewhere, surprisingly it's even worse than my Priv.

Pros: man this hardware is gorgeous, speaker quality and speed dial were a joy, it was sooo great to get all my shortcuts back, every txt msg is fun, conversation starter w/ in minutes of day 1, gps monster glitch has been fixed and I even used Google maps using pic-in-pic w/ YouT in my main app (!) which is pretty hilarious for this little bb.

Cons: the stutters and lag are in a league of their own, I'm talking 10+ sec just waiting for the screen to light up after hitting the power button, tons and tons of "X app has stopped responding" errors, signal loss/recovery (such as disconnecting from wifi when I leave the house, or driving through a known blackout zone) usually leads to so much locking up that I'd just restart it.

Interestingly, when I was swapping my sim back into this pixel 6a, the feel of it (the heft and boxy frame) actually gave me that pull to hurry up and slap the card in already. And after doing so I didn't feel that ping tugging me back to the bb - which I almost always do.

Rip my beloved k1, for being a handset I just couldn't live w/ out (I've even bought multiple, and gave one to a coworker) it's pretty clear that it just can't really hang in there anymore, although I enjoy many Oreo (and, of course, bb) features much more than more modern android ones.
    Dumb the Keyone down to basic apps and things that work and loan it out to seniors and web curious. Wifi only, let them enjoy a trip into the "future". I did that with a fleet of Playbook's.
    09-26-22 09:12 PM
    basic apps and things that work and loan it out to seniors
    Yeah it helped a coworker who had basically an old pkb + 2" screen phone get into Android. Still was a lot, quite a learning curve, due to all the submenus etc.

She loved it tho. And Atnt only recently (w/ in last couple months) kicked her off cuz I gave her a legit atnt variant I had
    09-26-22 09:16 PM
    After a couple days w/ my K1 I do want to comment on battery life, because that was its other stand-out feature, almost on par w/ the pkb.

To this day stand-by drain remains incredibly to be one of its strengths. I think in an entire 24 hour period of just laying there receiving notifications it would only lose 10% (definitely a guess/estimate, but it only loses 1-3% overnight) and there can be periods during lighter app use (txts for ex) where it's still impressive, like finally noticing a 1% decrease after a half hour.

But (!) when it comes to heavier use (fb, Instagram scrolling/uploading, gps) it's actually not *that* far off from the pixel 6a. When I had the K1 for those couple days my thought was "ok, let's go #bb4lyfe #HereWeGo let's see if I can still get to bed around 45% " and no lol, it was more like 15%
    09-28-22 11:57 AM
    Gonna take the KEYᵒⁿᵉ for a spin tomorrow. After 2 weeks w/ the Priv it felt almost unfair to leave my other BlackBerry toy just collecting dust. Instant <3 in my hands @ these buttons, I know many people who've praised the K2, and even I've admitted in a few threads that it may have been their overall best pkb but man from that first day in June of 2017 to this late evening - these little tictacs are delicious 😊 😇 😅
    12-23-22 12:57 AM
62 123