Since I had my screen fall off (and render my phone inoperable, immediately) on Sunday, I'm still waiting for BlackBerry mobile to send me a replacement factory keyone that is new (although one of the numerous agents I've talked to said it could be refurbished ) 72 hours later. I'm considering keeping it or considering selling it and purchasing the AT&T space black keyone next week.

I'd do this for 1) insurance reasons, in case I damage or lose the phone 2) can finance the phone so cheaply that it is under 20$ a month and ends up still being cheaper than my current unlocked phone 3) may like it in space black versus black and silver. Those are the only reasons I see to do it and I'd need to purchase through att to obtain these three benefits.

I'd oppose doing this due to 1) potential bloatware that could slow down the speed of this phone and potentially decrease battery life 2) have an AT&T emblem on the phone, which I don't care about 3) have a phone that now will not be unlocked, yet I almost never, ever would use a different Sim card in this as I have unlimited data abroad and msg people with whatsapp even when I am away. 4) potentially very delayed OS updates, as I ALWAYS have had for a decade with att locked blackberries

Those reasons above are what I need to consider. Any thoughts on why to go one way or the other? The battery life reduction and slow down from bloatware is the biggest concern, then the OS updates, but the former may not be as bad as many of us generally will fear.

Thanks for any well-thought out opinions. I'm considering sticking with the current one now, canceling my insurance premium on att now, and if I DO happen to lose my current keyone, then purchasing one through att as the insurance premium is about 50 pct of the monthly payment for a new space black att keyone, so saving those insurance premiums could also be paying for several months of an att black keyone in case I do lose my current one and choose to by the locked version.

Thanks
    08-24-17 04:08 PM
    I could be wrong but I just don't think that there will be the bloatware you fear on the black rendition! It won't have the ATT eblem on it otherwise current model would have that globally!!!
    08-24-17 04:15 PM
    AT&T puts emblems on their phones and it puts software on every single phone it sells. The question regarding that is if the bloatware/anything else att does will reduce battery life and/or slow the phone to a "severe enough" degree
    08-24-17 04:20 PM
    Based on the unlocked status of the AT&T Priv and it's lack of Bloatware.... I'd switch.

That said, not sure what you'll get for you existing one.... and don't see any point in having two of the same phone.
    08-24-17 04:21 PM
    Based on the unlocked status of the AT&T Priv and it's lack of Bloatware.... I'd switch.

That said, not sure what you'll get for you existing one.... and don't see any point in having two of the same phone.
    Why are you saying the AT&T priv is going to be unlocked, considering they lock all their phones to their network? Did they state this is an exception?

Why would AT&T's version have a lack of bloatware compared to the unlocked version?
    08-24-17 04:24 PM
    Why are you saying the AT&T priv is going to be unlocked, considering they lock all their phones to their network? Did they state this is an exception?

Why would AT&T's version have a lack of bloatware compared to the unlocked version?
    AT&T has been selling unlocked phones for a while, but as branded devices that were generally locked to the carrier for updates. As I understand PRIV's with AT&T branding now get updates directly via BlackBerry.

With Android it's pretty easy to disable bloatware.... does seem like some SPRINT users where having it show back up. So might have to wait and see, but I expect you'll be able to disable what you don't want.

But things change... so hard to know for sure.
    08-24-17 04:42 PM
    I've never heard either of your statements in your first paragraph. Im plenty aware of their phones being locked to att not just for updates but also .. locked, they couldn't use another provider's Sim. you're certain they could?

that's not accurate about bloatware, Samsung users (for bloatware from a manufacturer) and att users (for bloatware from a network) can attest - there are numerous apps that cannot be uninstalled - and as far as I know, some that can't be disabled, either (which still isn't enough
    08-24-17 05:15 PM
    I could be wrong but I just don't think that there will be the bloatware you fear on the black rendition! It won't have the ATT eblem on it otherwise current model would have that globally!!!
    Watched the ATT promo video for this device and it clearly had an ATT logo on the back bottom of the phone.
    My main concern is timely software updates like I would get with the unlocked version
    08-24-17 06:17 PM
    Watched the ATT promo video for this device and it clearly had an ATT logo on the back bottom of the phone.
    My main concern is timely software updates like I would get with the unlocked version
    Don't do it! I have an att unlocked Priv and a factory unlocked Priv. The att version hasn't had a patch since May, same way with my LG V20, LG g5 etc. Att has great service but I buy phones with cash and don't deal with att.
    JWW likes this.
    08-24-17 10:16 PM

My AT&T PRIV has all the normal bloatware. It was only unlocked after BlackBerry convinced AT&T to push through a special download to solve the LTE no service problem last year. Since AT&T had dumped a large portion of their inventory to wholesalers, they pushed through unlocked status because they didn't want to face "no support" accusations or issues.
    JWW likes this.
    08-24-17 11:00 PM
    I'm considering staying with current (soon to be replaced by factory warranty) keyone and not buying the att version unless I lose or damage my unlocked keyone
    08-25-17 11:16 AM
    I swore off carrier devices after the PRIV was abandoned by AT&T then developed the No Service issue. AT&T did resolve with BlackBerry eventually. I've had both DTEK phones and could only buy direct. When I buy the KEYone (I'm not an early adopter because I like to let all the issues shake out first), I'm leaning back towards AT&T branded device because they have the infrastructure and support built out. I expect TCL has the ability to build out the infrastructure to meet the expectations of AT&T. I expect for now, TCL will give preferential treatment with all of their carrier devices ahead of factory unlocked at least in the USA. They need the carriers too bad as partners to alienate them.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-17 12:45 PM