Whats up guys,

Checking in here (Hail from Apple) - Just ordered the Keyone for my business line - replacing the SE. I find myself a bigger fan of the last BB OS,

I thought I'd chip in and give my review and unboxing details as well ask questions and some ordering feedback.

1. ATT corp store had no idea they carried this and had this abortion look to them. Going on...they could not submit an order. Had to do it online or through 611.
    2. First time in over a decade I was asked to submit a 30% Next deposit. I have been ordering top line Iphones/Pads since the carrier financing existed without issues....I find this very odd.
    3. Ordered it this morning and still nada - wondering how other users faired in this process with ATT.

Finally, Im excited as my last unit was the bold9900. Also whats with the typical BB or Carrier move to not offer the upgraded spec i read about?

Had to use a red towel for contrast.
    Attached Thumbnails Just ordered a Keyone. @ AT&T. Checking in.-img_0001.jpg   Just ordered a Keyone. @ AT&T. Checking in.-img_0002.jpg  
    Last edited by 4Nik1; 09-25-17 at 11:07 AM.
    09-20-17 07:56 PM
    Whats up guys,

Checking in here (Hail from Apple) - Just ordered the Keyone for my business line - replacing the SE. I find myself a bigger fan of the last BB OS,

I thought I'd chip in and give my review and unboxing details as well ask questions and some ordering feedback.

1. ATT corp store had no idea they carried this and had this abortion look to them. Going on...they could not submit an order. Had to do it online or through 611.
    2. First time in over a decade I was asked to submit a 30% Next deposit. I have been ordering top line Iphones/Pads since the carrier financing existed without issues....I find this very odd.
    3. Ordered it this morning and still nada - wondering how other users faired in this process with ATT.

Finally, Im excited as my last unit was the bold9900. Also whats with the typical BB or Carrier move to not offer the upgraded spec i read about?
    I will WELCOME you to Crackberry.

Sorry but I'm one of those really isolated KeyOne Verizon (which does not officially offer it at all) users. AT&T apparently offers the Black version but not with additional memory. Why is unknown at this time. Maybe unsure of sales and ordering additional stock at a higher price.
    09-21-17 01:21 AM
    Thank you,

Quick review on my end. The device feels great in the hand, for the size, it feels very good one handed.

Positives & Negatives, I will just list as they are fresh in my mind. Doubt will be useful for other users but wanted to offer my opinion.

Positives,

- I love the black, device itself is unique and interesting
    - At first getting back to typing on the keyboard was tough but after a while i just gotten used to it
    - Oddly enough, I enjoy using it more than my iphone
    - It's quick enough, camera is best ive seen on a Blackberry.
    - Once I removed the HUB and extra junk it felt 2x faster....this is where they lost me, as a software company there are a bunch of weird actions and way it runs is just odd.
    .... my thought they could be in a blackberry 10 os mind set, building android or something.

Negatives,

- Android, 50% of options I have no clue what they do or why there is a need for them.
    - Could use 1 more gig of ram, I ravaged the forums and ended up disabling the hub which improved performance of the device significantly....which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole BB thing. Nonetheless.
    - Im txt etc, they could have just let you send a message using the enter button. Might as well make it a Blackberry.
    - Phone app, just go straight to the num pad for goodness sakes. is not business friendly, maybe there is a better one. Not sure how android works or if this is possible. They could have included favorites, recents and contacts above the num pad to keep it simple. Why go through more steps.
    - OS is simple, but LG's I used few weeks back felt like it had better UI. So was samsung's.
    - Closing apps area...having bunch of squares....weird.
    - Removing the hub deleted all my exchange emails which sucked.
    - Sleep/wake is opposite side of every phone I have used. Why?
    - Notifications don't appear when phone is locked sitting on my desk. I would love that as I want to see whats going and if it needs my attention, instead of double tapping or opening to see messages/notes sent to me.

**oh nice, Weiner sentenced to 21 months for nudie picks while i type this. Ok back....

Over all, am really enjoying the keyone and will keep it. I had no problems technically, i did read that people were mad about specs. It runs for days, its quick, it can use more ram. But overall a great device.

My only issues is with the OS and tweaks that BB could have done to improve the user experience greatly. Maybe they still can.

I personally will buy another Keyone if they release a more beefier spec device, only because after work apps and media...you can see it taking a toll on the performance of the device.

The end. Looking forward to contributing somehow.
    09-25-17 11:06 AM
    thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it. I just got the AT&T black keyone and like it so far. coming from the DTek60. battery life is much better on keyone , camera on par with Dtek60. So far I'm happy with my purchase.
    09-25-17 12:42 PM
    Welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying it!

A few responses to the negatives:

1. Android is kind of a mess compared to the other OS. Part and parcel of being so open. So you'll have to tinker with it and go app shopping to get the most out of it. Keep in mind that many of Android's stock apps and experience are lacking because Google wants to sell you apps. This is also why manufacturers create their own UI setups and apps, so the phone will be better out-the-box. BlackBerry is still pretty new at this.

2. I hear ya. One more G of ram would be nice, and I hope HUB's memory usage gets slimmed down over time. BlackBerries are communication tools first and foremost, and Hub helps streamline the time taken to check up on messages. Still, a screen of icons with pop-up widgets can work well without eating up as much ram.

3. Use Textra or Yaata. The K1 has Android's default text app, which is weaksauce. Either one of those will allow Enter-to-send.

4. Use True Phone and set it as the default phone app. It opens right to the dialer. You can just open the app and start typing on the number keys (wersdfzxc0) and the numbers will automatically pop up. After a few tries you'll be no-look dialing! Again, thank the default Android app.

5. True--LG and Samsung have much more experience with Android and the consumer market. BlackBerry is always more enterprise-oriented.

6. You can change how the Recent Apps screen looks. The Nougat rolodex view is available, as is the weird Masonry view (I don't care for it either), but there's also the Tiles view that replicates BB10 OS's look. I use the Tiles view. Settings -> Display -> Recents is where the toggle is.
    Keep in mind 2 things about app switching--1) double-tapping the Recent Apps button will switch between the 2 most recent apps you used, and 2) once you get your keyboard shortcuts all set up, flicking through a bunch of apps will be a waste of time. If you're switching between more than 2 apps, just hit Home then the keyboard shortcut for the next app you want.

7. Feels bad, man. I guess you have to remove the account from Hub before disabling it.

8. Not sure what this means

9. Go into Settings -> Notifications and tap the gear on top. You can choose to show all, show partially, or not show notifications on Lock screen. If it's still not working, go into each app in the Notifications list and make sure their individual settings are correct. When I get certain notifications (the ones I want) the screen halfway brightens and shows the notification--at least when I first receive it.
    However, the K1 doesn't have an always-on display and I'm not sure if there's an app that can do that. I personally don't care for an always-on display but I understand the draw and usefulness of that feature.

I hope this helps. I use True Phone, Textra, Corcanoe Sound Profile, MC Koo Light Manager, and SoundAbout to get phone, texting, and profiles close to where it was for BB10. Drop-down Status Bar with N as keyboard shortcut for notification shade.

Keyboard Shortcuts (pre-loaded on the K1) will give you 52 app/speed dial/function shortcuts whenever you are at the home screen. Buttons remapper can do even more (long-press on Sym key to launch dialer, or long-press Space bar to bring down full settings shade, for example).

Keyboard Browser for Web browser.

Look up the popular apps that other Crackberrians have found, and tinker with the KeyOne. You'll be amazed at how fast and efficient you can be with it!
    Last edited by Xenolock; 09-26-17 at 12:48 PM.
    09-25-17 03:57 PM
    Thank you so much buddy! What a difference. I installed outlook, textra and true phone. Also changed display settings.

Much appreciated!
    09-25-17 06:14 PM
    Thank you so much buddy! What a difference. I installed outlook, textra and true phone. Also changed display settings.

Much appreciated!
    Enable Developer Options and speed it up to near light speed.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    09-25-17 06:50 PM
    Thank you, did this as well.

As for locks teen notifications. Outlook app now shows new messages just like ios. Not sure what changed, maybe the stock app did not have that function.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-26-17 09:55 AM
    OP, I'm a little envious of your all black KeyOne as I am on Verizon. If you are using BlackBerry launcher, check the widgets and there might be a dial pad option. I briefly installed the BlackBerry launcher on my S7 and found that.

Also, you mentioned Outlook. Give Nine a try. After the the 15 day trial it is $15, but we'll worth it in my opinion. They have a black theme (and dark) that looks amazing on an all black phone. Everything in the app is customizable. Also, the app just simply works. Anyway, enjoy the new phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-26-17 10:33 AM
    OP, I'm a little envious of your all black KeyOne as I am on Verizon. If you are using BlackBerry launcher, check the widgets and there might be a dial pad option. I briefly installed the BlackBerry launcher on my S7 and found that.

Also, you mentioned Outlook. Give Nine a try. After the the 15 day trial it is $15, but we'll worth it in my opinion. They have a black theme (and dark) that looks amazing on an all black phone. Everything in the app is customizable. Also, the app just simply works. Anyway, enjoy the new phone.
    I've seen the silver one around - i prefer the all black look to it. I just wish it came with that extra 1g of ram, would have been an icing.

Outlook has been good, I will download nine and give it a try as well - i removed nearly all blackberry apps/services and the phone has been quicker to respond and much smoother. I truthfully think 3rd party apps in this experience have thus far performed better for me then stock from blackberry. Then again I aside from some, i have always felt most BB focused UI/UX is back country type and not to par with latest trends and needs.
    09-26-17 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the Truephone suggestion. just downloaded and it is much better than the default dialer. love it!
    09-26-17 09:41 PM