Anyone else ever run into an issue with their K1 when the screen gets all twitchy and jumpy? It's kinda annoying.
    08-28-19 11:26 AM
    Anyone else ever run into an issue with their K1 when the screen gets all twitchy and jumpy? It's kinda annoying.
    It's only happened to me when my thumbs were damp after a workout.
    08-28-19 12:10 PM
    Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I'm ditching my KeyOne. I didn't want to, but it appears to be a keyboard issue. The problem goes away if you turn off the touch sensitive keyboard.

My keyboard has also gone pretty mushy and the spacebar wonky, so time to retire it. I've managed to get hold of an Evolve, so will have to learn to type on a touch screen I guess.

You could replace your keyboard, but I've looked it up and it seems like an absolute nightmare to do.
    puttermann likes this.
    08-28-19 12:32 PM
    Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I'm ditching my KeyOne. I didn't want to, but it appears to be a keyboard issue. The problem goes away if you turn off the touch sensitive keyboard.

My keyboard has also gone pretty mushy and the spacebar wonky, so time to retire it. I've managed to get hold of an Evolve, so will have to learn to type on a touch screen I guess.

You could replace your keyboard, but I've looked it up and it seems like an absolute nightmare to do.
    Actually it's pretty easy. And it's only $20 for a replacement part.
    08-28-19 12:42 PM
    Actually it's pretty easy. And it's only $20 for a replacement part.
    Instruction video? Do you have evidence of it being easy? I've searched everywhere and every single video shows how to deconstruct everything, apart from the keyboard.

I read that in order to do it, you need to take the whole damned thing apart, use a heat gun to remove the keyboard, replace, then put it all back together.

I've found the replacement parts, but not a single video or explanation of how - just comments from people online who have tried it and recommended novices not to try it
    08-28-19 12:43 PM
    That makes sense. At random intervals, I'll have to press so hard on the spacebar to actually get a space. I often end up with words clumped together likethis.
    08-28-19 12:50 PM
    That makes sense. At random intervals, I'll have to press so hard on the spacebar to actually get a space. I often end up with words clumped together likethis.
    That's exactly what I've been dealing with. It all started with the jumping around, then the space bar went. I thought I'd briefly fixed it by cleaning it with alcohol. Started working great. Then it just went back to glitching.

Maybe @conite is right and it is easy to replace the keyboard, but from my own research, I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it (or any indication that it's easy!). Sad to say I think my KeyOne's dead, and suffering the same problem as you!
    08-28-19 12:59 PM
    Instruction video? Do you have evidence of it being easy? I've searched everywhere and every single video shows how to deconstruct everything, apart from the keyboard.

I read that in order to do it, you need to take the whole damned thing apart, use a heat gun to remove the keyboard, replace, then put it all back together.

I've found the replacement parts, but not a single video or explanation of how - just comments from people online who have tried it and recommended novices not to try it
    Many people on this forum have reported having done it without too much trouble. That's all I really know.
    08-28-19 01:03 PM
    Many people on this forum have reported having done it without too much trouble. That's all I really know.
    I think it's not the case. I've researched a lot, and found no information about how to do it, no examples of amateurs (non-experts) doing it.

What I've found is that it needs to be disassembled in its entirety in order to get to the keyboard, and it requires a heat gun because of the adhesive holding it in place. That's just too much for an amateur to attempt and not really worth my time!!
    08-28-19 01:05 PM
    I think it's not the case. I've researched a lot, and found no information about how to do it, no examples of amateurs (non-experts) doing it.

What I've found is that it needs to be disassembled in its entirety in order to get to the keyboard, and it requires a heat gun because of the adhesive holding it in place. That's just too much for an amateur to attempt and not really worth my time!!
    Well, I'm telling you that I've had discussions here with a few people over the last couple of months.
    08-28-19 01:23 PM
    I've had the same issue on my KEYone multiple times, especially within my Web browser. I've also had an issue with swipe left to delete, where it deletes a word every 2-3 seconds no matter what I do, even if I remove my hands from the device completely.

I assume the capacitive keyboard is responsible. Both issues have been occasional and intermittent, but very persistent when they occur, requiring a reboot to eliminate.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-28-19 01:26 PM
    I've had the same issue on my KEYone multiple times, especially within my Web browser. I've also had an issue with swipe left to delete, where it deletes a word every 2-3 seconds no matter what I do, even if I remove my hands from the device completely.

I assume the capacitive keyboard is responsible. Both issues have been occasional and intermittent, but very persistent when they occur, requiring a reboot to eliminate.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I wonder whether it's software or hardware? I'm assuming hardware, but given I have the exact same symptoms, maybe hardware?
    08-28-19 01:33 PM
    That's exactly what I've been dealing with. It all started with the jumping around, then the space bar went. I thought I'd briefly fixed it by cleaning it with alcohol. Started working great. Then it just went back to glitching.

Maybe @conite is right and it is easy to replace the keyboard, but from my own research, I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it (or any indication that it's easy!). Sad to say I think my KeyOne's dead, and suffering the same problem as you!
    You can replace the keyboard without complete disassembly. Disregard any of the videos you have watched.

First remove the back cover just enough to access the connector on the motherboard and disconnect the keyboard.

Second remove the bottom lip surrounding the keyboard, it will pry off easily and will be reused.

Third, apply heat to the keyboard (see pic) and then start prying up at the 3 spots on the bottom front of the keyboard. Since you are replacing the keyboard it really doesn't matter if you muck it up right? :-).

Putting the new keyboard in, start by aligning the 4 clips at the top of keyboard that go under the screen, making sure the data cable is fed thru the midframe, and then snap the keyboard assembly in place.

Replace the lip, reconnect the data cable to the motherboard and snap the back cover into place.

** Edit:

When removing the old keyboard it is possible that the spring clip behind the space bar may remain stuck to the mid-frame. Be sure to remove before installing the new keyboard as the new keyboard will already a spring clip attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Jumpy Screen-13743.jpg  
    Last edited by yamahammer; 08-28-19 at 08:29 PM.
    08-28-19 02:41 PM
    2nd attachment..
    Attached Thumbnails Jumpy Screen-13742.jpg  
    08-28-19 02:42 PM
    You can replace the keyboard without complete disassembly. Disregard any of the videos you have watched.

First remove the back cover just enough to access the connector on the motherboard and disconnect the keyboard.

Second remove the bottom lip surrounding the keyboard, it will pry off easily and will be reused.

Third, apply heat to the keyboard (see pic) and then start prying up at the 3 spots on the bottom front of the keyboard. Since you are replacing the keyboard it really doesn't matter if you muck it up right? :-).

Putting the new keyboard in, start by aligning the 4 clips at the top of keyboard that go under the screen, making sure the data cable is fed thru the midframe, and then snap the keyboard assembly in place.

Replace the lip, reconnect the data cable to the motherboard and snap the back cover into place.
    Mate, THANK YOU! This is what i was looking for but couldn't find anywhere. I just bought a brand new BB Evolve but I think I might try this and fix my KeyOne anyway. Cheers!

I don't suppose you know whether it's possible to interchange the silver keyone's back panel onto a KeyOne BE, do you? I like the silver BB logo on the back better. I suppose they should be interchangeable!

Once again, thank you
    08-28-19 03:26 PM

Now this should be a sticky. Great post. I'm keeping it for future use. Thanks.
    08-28-19 04:51 PM
    My perspective is that, If this is a software issue, hopefully it will get fixed with an update, but if it is hardware, or does not get fixed, and if it becomes frequent enough to annoy me, then I will replace my phone with something else.

I've never had a BlackBerry phone last less than five years without hardware issues. If the KEYone fails within two, it isn't worth repairing, as far as I'm concerned.

Ironically, I left my KEYone at a friend's house last weekend, and am back to just my Z10 this week. So far, I haven't really missed it in three days of work.

I have enjoyed being insulated from constant Slack posts. I may uninstall Slack when I get my phone back!

08-28-19 06:15 PM
    Mate, THANK YOU! This is what i was looking for but couldn't find anywhere. I just bought a brand new BB Evolve but I think I might try this and fix my KeyOne anyway. Cheers!

I don't suppose you know whether it's possible to interchange the silver keyone's back panel onto a KeyOne BE, do you? I like the silver BB logo on the back better. I suppose they should be interchangeable!

Once again, thank you
    As far the back cover, I'm taking a guess that they are interchangeable. But here's a little addendum to the Keyboard replacement:

When removing the old keyboard it is possible that the spring clip behind the space bar may remain stuck to the mid-frame. Be sure to remove before installing the new keyboard as the new keyboard will already have a spring clip attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Jumpy Screen-notable-00260.jpg  
    Last edited by yamahammer; 08-29-19 at 01:14 PM.
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    08-28-19 08:21 PM

** Edit:

When removing the old keyboard it is possible that the spring clip behind the space bar may remain stuck to the mid-frame. Be sure to remove before installing the new keyboard as the new keyboard will already a spring clip attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Jumpy Screen-notable-00260.jpg  
    08-28-19 08:31 PM