But wouldn't you expect that if you paid an extra premium over the KEYone price that the 7 Plus and S8 would survive such a test? Some people do come back to the premium price of the KEYone and what they expect of the build...
    No. Not when they are made totally of glass. I would suspect any blackberry made totally of glass to break on it also. As I said I'm pleasantly surprised the keyone screen stayed in the phone and didn't break.
    Roadie29 likes this.
    06-09-17 07:36 PM
    You completely missed the point! I am mocking the complainers about how KEYone is not durable. This was a real life test. The KEYone glass never cracked or broke from drops or car . The iPhone and Samsung did.
    Many complaints here about durability of KEYone because of this video. KEYone survived no glass break, iPhone and Samsung did. That is real life; dropping your phone!
    I think phone will be perfect if it had adhesive on it. Screen came off without any bumps for crackberry user in this forum. keyone was pristine condition except that screen and body was separated.
    06-09-17 07:36 PM
    many thanks for the preview. i am glad you did the Tesla test, almost like bungee jump test: test for your boss (or better half) get mad at you: use an long elastic cable with solid end to push unit out of office desk... 3x. free fall (no angle adjustment). rather fun... Tesla test possibly more harsh... as for the black adhesive, glad you said it is gummy, sounds like adhesive sealent to me. will use it without protection except a pocket to protect the LCD from scratch... (priv pocket). Thanks again.
    06-09-17 07:41 PM
    When the screen pops out the ribbon can tear, and that would mean a phone going in for repairs as the Display would not be usable.

Plenty of people are fine using a cracked screen that still works, but a Display that falls out and tears the ribbon is not exactly usable.

Yes you can pop it back in but it won't work.
    Lots of things "might" happen when you drop a phone. The only place the ribbon ripped was in the double bend test, which frankly only happens when you try to break a phone. In the first case reported here, the ribbon was just fine and again, I would be happier popping the screen back in than using a phone with a broken screen.

I have seen phones bounce off of tile from high up with nary a scrach and I have seen others fall very short distances and crack the screen. It all depends on how you drop it. My point was and still is that unless there is an onslaught of screens popping out -- and a couple examples on this forum doesn't cut it, there is no evidential reason that lack of glue is actually a defect. Glue would not have prevented the phone from breaking in the test on the video. Only a re-enforced case would have done that. Not going to happen at this price point.

As for living with cracked screen, that is not a valid argument here. You'll have a really hard time convincing me the people complaining on this forum would not complain about a cracked screen from a "small drop".
    06-09-17 07:42 PM
    Some people are missing the point, it's not that we expect to bend the phone with force on purpose, I would never do that. What's concerning is that the bend test showed what most of us perceive as a design flaw and some screens have already popped up without bending the phone. Out of only a few thousand that I estimate were sold with very low stock, 5-10 units already had this problem. That's probably a bigger number relative to sales compared to how many note 7s exploded and you know the stigma that that phone got.
    I'm not returning my device, I'm really enjoying it too much but if I was still deciding on buying this why would you take a chance at spending $600 and press your luck that you won't get a defective unit?
    As a current user I hope they give us a statement on why this happened to those units and how likely or unlikely this is to happen. I need to know if this is something that you could be more vulnerable to as the phone ages or is it a manufacturing issue?
    06-09-17 07:46 PM
    No. Not when they are made totally of glass. I would suspect any blackberry made totally of glass to break on it also. As I said I'm pleasantly surprised the keyone screen stayed in the phone and didn't break.
    Not speaking on the necessity of BBMo needing to secure the screen better, but it seems like some people are okay with buying expensive devices with built-in flaws, no matter how good the build is, i.e. screen nicely secured with plenty of adhesive, but overall device is easy to shatter.
    06-09-17 07:47 PM
    I think phone will be perfect if it had adhesive on it. Screen came off without any bumps for crackberry user in this forum. keyone was pristine condition except that screen and body was separated.
    The separation is probably what saved it from having its screen completely shattered, as with its fellow Shelf of Shame companions.
    06-09-17 07:49 PM
    Caulking adhesive does not solve anything. Okay, the screen might be protected against things getting under it, but it is not really held down. JerryRig is right - there is "zero adhesive holding it in place". And that's why 10 people (+JerryRig) had their screen fall off or come loose.

Thank you for testing, I am very happy with how much this phone is able to survive, but I'm really more afraid of my screen coming off without any incentive than myself stepping on it or letting it fall from my desk/car.

Would I buy a phone that will fall to pieces if I drop it? I would. Will I buy a phone that survives drops but can't keep the screen in place? Nope, because I trust myself more than I trust the phone.
    Caulking is often used as an adhesive as well. It all depends on what was used.
    06-09-17 07:54 PM
    Not speaking on the necessity of BBMo needing to secure the screen better, but it seems like some people are okay with buying expensive devices with built-in flaws, no matter how good the build is, i.e. screen nicely secured with plenty of adhesive, but overall device is easy to shatter.
    Yep, I get that. I guess we have got use to phones made of all glass are going to crack, shatter etc even on a JerryRig test so we know the risk. I guess we don't think about the screen completely coming out because the other phones are all screen.
    06-09-17 07:57 PM
    The separation is probably what saved it from having its screen completely shattered, as with its fellow Shelf of Shame companions.
    That is a very valid point. True indeed.
    06-09-17 08:01 PM
    Some people are missing the point, it's not that we expect to bend the phone with force on purpose, I would never do that. What's concerning is that the bend test showed what most of us perceive as a design flaw and some screens have already popped up without bending the phone. Out of only a few thousand that I estimate were sold with very low stock, 5-10 units already had this problem. That's probably a bigger number relative to sales compared to how many note 7s exploded and you know the stigma that that phone got.
    I'm not returning my device, I'm really enjoying it too much but if I was still deciding on buying this why would you take a chance at spending $600 and press your luck that you won't get a defective unit?
    As a current user I hope they give us a statement on why this happened to those units and how likely or unlikely this is to happen. I need to know if this is something that you could be more vulnerable to as the phone ages or is it a manufacturing issue?
    The Note 7 situation was a potential injury/death hazard; thus, the stigma and recall.

A screen coming off is minor compared to that.

I actually don't need a detailed explanation as to why the screens came off or any statistics. As an owner, I would just want to know that it's warrantied and they would be quick to fix/replace, especially after the normal one year warranty period. For example, first year would be replace with new. After that, perhaps repair/replace with fixed refurbs up to 3-5 years, if the issue is with the screen popping off. Or they could do voluntary recall.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-09-17 08:01 PM
    My take away on this is.....not only am I jealous that CBK has his KeyOne('s) way before everyone else does, I'm now also jealous that he has a Tesla....
    howarmat, kbz1960 and krazyatom like this.
    06-09-17 08:28 PM
    My take away on this is.....not only am I jealous that CBK has his KeyOne('s) way before everyone else does, I'm now also jealous that he has a Tesla....
    CBK is very wealthy man!
    06-09-17 08:42 PM
    Don't put mild torsional stress on your phone.
    Don't put it in your pocket.
    Don't expect $800CAD devices that are portable by design to be durable.

Seriously what a stupid post. Should he have just made a video where he drops it once and the screen flies out? Do you really expect that it is normal for something so expensive and meant to be carried around to totally give up on one drop?

What an age to live in where we excuse PORTABLE DEVICES for not being durable. Wow.
    Mild torsional stress? That is not what the video shows.
    Pocket. Never saw a pocket test. Haven't heard of a screen popping off from pocket use. All the screen pops I have read about here are from drops and one video case of major bending (not torsional) stress.

The stupidity is coming from assumptions of a design flaw based on a handful of anecdotes combined with wild guesses of total units sold.

As for expensive things dying on first drop, I don't think I know of a single iPhone user (who paid a lot more) who hasn't cracked a fragile screen or had a power button that stopped working making the phone useless in both cases. Please spare us the dramatics.
    guizmox likes this.
    06-09-17 09:16 PM
    Mild torsional stress? That is not what the video shows.
    Pocket. Never saw a pocket test. Haven't heard of a screen popping off from pocket use. All the screen pops I have read about here are from drops and one video case of major bending (not torsional) stress.

The stupidity is coming from assumptions of a design flaw based on a handful of anecdotes combined with wild guesses of total units sold.

As for expensive things dying on first drop, I don't think I know of a single iPhone user (who paid a lot more) who hasn't cracked a fragile screen or had a power button that stopped working making the phone useless in both cases. Please spare us the dramatics.
    Fortunately for them. With apple care, the screen can be replaced for $29.99. Within an hour. Dropping a k1 or dropping with potentially a screen coming loose does pose a problem. I wonder what geek squad offers as warrenty.
    06-09-17 10:54 PM
    Some people are just gonna complain no matter what. We all have a few of those people in our lives who can't seem to not be so negative. I am also surprised people are so quick to go bonkers over this Jerry rig video and believe him when he says there is no adhesive when Cbk just proved there is some

And the only reason that guy could bend a glass display off of a phone is because he has that bezel on top and especially that solid keyboard to grip. So naturally most of his force is gonna be concentrated right below the display where the glass will surely pop bending that hard. It probably be much harder to do that to any other non keyboard phones just holding at the bezels and trying to pop the glass

It's also too early to say if this is a wide spread problem. Like all new products there are always defective models , just like when I got my Nintendo switch, the Net seemed to be filled with defects . Who knows, maybe 99 % of all keyones will hold their displays just fine so long as u don't decide to to bend your phone like a maniac.

My first keyone on Tuesday was stuck in a bootloop but the replacement I'm typing this out on right now friggin Rocks and my advice would be to not cancel your orders just because of some dude on YouTube spazzing on his phone, and wait til you get it in your hands and feel the Love!

BTW if you had a problem,
    Blackberry support is good, I've dealt with them a couple times
    06-09-17 10:56 PM
    Some people are just gonna complain no matter what. We all have a few of those people in our lives who can't seem to not be so negative. I am also surprised people are so quick to go bonkers over this Jerry rig video and believe him when he says there is no adhesive when Cbk just proved there is some

And the only reason that guy could bend a glass display off of a phone is because he has that bezel on top and especially that solid keyboard to grip. So naturally most of his force is gonna be concentrated right below the display where the glass will surely pop bending that hard. It probably be much harder to do that to any other non keyboard phones just holding at the bezels and trying to pop the glass

It's also too early to say if this is a wide spread problem. Like all new products there are always defective models , just like when I got my Nintendo switch, the Net seemed to be filled with defects . Who knows, maybe 99 % of all keyones will hold their displays just fine so long as u don't decide to to bend your phone like a maniac.

My first keyone on Tuesday was stuck in a bootloop but the replacement I'm typing this out on right now friggin Rocks and my advice would be to not cancel your orders just because of some dude on YouTube spazzing on his phone, and wait til you get it in your hands and feel the Love!

BTW if you had a problem,
    Blackberry support is good, I've dealt with them a couple times
    It's not just "that guy" that got the screen to pop off. There have been several reports of the screen popping off from minor drops and impacts that happen constantly in the real world. A person has even dropped their phone less than 6 inches onto their vehicle's center console, and the screen popped out. This was the first case I read about. The did pop it back in, and luckily the display ribbon cable wasn't damaged.
    06-09-17 11:19 PM
    It's not just "that guy" that got the screen to pop off. There have been several reports of the screen popping off from minor drops and impacts that happen constantly in the real world. A person has even dropped their phone less than 6 inches onto their vehicle's center console, and the screen popped out. This was the first case I read about. The did pop it back in, and luckily the display ribbon cable wasn't damaged.
    I think Keyone is the first phone that screen pops up without any damages to your phone. I mean that's amazing! I don't see how that's possible for any other phones.
    06-09-17 11:36 PM
    Yes I heard about the other people but my point is it may only happen to a very small percentage of people's K1s. Just like other people have said that they have had no problems with much harder drops. Let's not all freak out and assume all the keyones are no good. Especially the people who haven't even gotten theirs.
    06-09-17 11:47 PM
    Definitive proof that YouTube reviewers don't really honestly review anything in order to continue getting review devices in the mail and support their lifestyle of not having a real job. Also proof that TCL is the budget manufacturer we know them to be despite an absurd asking price. And finally the fact that this shocking and hilarious problem isn't on the crackberry website shows you can no longer rely on this website for honest information.
    Lol ur asking a review to test the device by trying to break it in half? loool thats not how it works. " Ok blackberry keyone is. etc etc ok to end this review lets try to see how durable this device by pounding it with a hammer or lets try to break it in half to see if this is the real deal..." LOOOOL....
    06-10-17 12:38 AM
    The Note 7 situation was a potential injury/death hazard; thus, the stigma and recall.

A screen coming off is minor compared to that.

I actually don't need a detailed explanation as to why the screens came off or any statistics. As an owner, I would just want to know that it's warrantied and they would be quick to fix/replace, especially after the normal one year warranty period. For example, first year would be replace with new. After that, perhaps repair/replace with fixed refurbs up to 3-5 years, if the issue is with the screen popping off. Or they could do voluntary recall.
    This is exactly what should concern ppl, not if the screen will pop out or not, but there is 2 much hype related to the video to let this small piece of info sync in.
    I would also expect that all official import channels would be aware of this and replace the phone without 2 much fuss within the warranty period.
    This is what TLC/BBM should officially announce so all ppl that got pushed back from the purchase (myself included) after seeing the video, would now consider again a purchase as this screen issue is covered, recognized and sorted out quickly if needed.
    On the other hand BBM/BB/TLC is not Samsung.....
    werkregen likes this.
    06-10-17 01:33 AM
    Thanks to Kevin for an entertaining and useful post. This is the kind of testing that is most helpful.. And fun. The bottom line for me, as for any other piece of $650 electronics is to take care of it as well as possible! Accidents happen for sure so these tests help to show what some of the limits are.
    06-10-17 02:50 AM
    If anything, this whole debacle might give everyone a little balance the next time this happens to another manufacturer and people in here start shouting how whatever this issue that's occurring affects all of the devices.
    jamesharmeling and krazyatom like this.
    06-10-17 05:23 AM
    If anything, this whole debacle might give everyone a little balance the next time this happens to another manufacturer and people in here start shouting how whatever this issue that's occurring affects all of the devices.
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    donnation and kbz1960 like this.
    06-10-17 07:16 AM
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    Lol, well one can always hope.
    06-10-17 07:18 AM
555 ... 1819202122 ...