Just finished shooting my CBK KEYone Durability video!

Took a couple hours to shoot as we switched locations a few times (not just in the studio). Friday afternoon and my editor had to head out, so she can't get the editing done today... she's going to try and work on it Sunday evening, but may be later Monday before the final edit is ready to go up.

Can definitely share some spoiler alerts though since this is such a hot topic.

Bought FOUR new KEYones from Rogers for it (1 was the Pre-Order unit I unboxed on last CB Podcast, and 3 I bought last night). I labeled each of them at the start so you'd know if I would try to bait and switch you. Lol. I only used 2 of the 4. Also had an iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S8+ for comparisons.

I did a bunch of "real world" tests....

1. In the House Test - dropped them all on carpet from waste height. No issues. Then tossed them up in the air like 8 feet. Hard lands. No screen issues at all. Had a couple of the battery door pins on the KEYone pop out, but they snap back into place right away and hold well.

2. Switched up to the Office test, and from my standing desk let them slide off the edge and they fell flat on the ground. Everything survived.

3. Then I did the Roll out of Bed or off the couch and step on my phone test. I actually do this accidentally all the time, so stepped on the KEYone a bunch of times (w/ 205lbs on it). A little jumping too! Survived that.

4. Then the fun part.... went outside and did the Tesla Launch Mode Drop Test. Put 2 KEYones and iPhone 7 Plus and S8+ on roof of car, put in launch mode and gunned it. Devices slammed to concrete. iPhone 7 Plus shattered it's screen, and the S8+ shattered the back. Both KEYones survived this OK! So after that, just left to destroy BB's...

5. The Angry Spouse Throws Phone at You Test... went old school here and put an BlackBerry 8700 and 9700 up against the KEYone. Threw the phones against brick wall (fully expecting them all to break). KEYone display did break here. Same with the 8700. 9700 actually survived!

6. After that, I took the KEYone apart... bent it hard and popped out display. So, interesting thing here is that THERE IS adhesive.... it's all around the edges of the display. Like a thin strip of black-ish caulking. If you watch JerryRig's video, there IS the same caulking in that video -- he's wrong to say there's "absolutely no adhesive" because there absolutely is. I just watch the video and you can see it. It's not under the metallic parts, but on the perimeter around the edge. Could more be done to cement that display into place? Maybe.... but given the testing and the real "normal world abuse" I've given my KEYone over the past few months, don't think it's really an issue issue. Though given the occurrences of some letting go, I'd assume they do even more to lock in place. But if you own a KEYone already, I dunno.. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on twisting and bending the hell out of it. And if you do end up having an issue, I'm going to assume it'll be covered under warranty, etc.

7. After that, I took another KEYone and did a toilet test. It's not rated for being water proof but I was curious to see how it would hold up. It survived a dunk (where it was in water for just a couple seconds fully submerged). I then put it back in for a full out swim and drowned it. This did kill it... didn't take too long. So, I definitely wouldn't take your KEYone swimming. But splashes on it, etc. should be totes fine (just like any other BB).

8. After I killed that one swimming, I tried to straight out bend it in half. Wasn't easy at allll to make it bend. Eventually did bend it, but I think this was plenty tough my normal standards (I'm not a weakling).

9. Also did the good 'ole sit test, which I always sit on my KEYone and never have an issue with.

So overall, I'd say you're all going to hopefully appreciate the video. Think it'll be a pretty solid / fair assessment (and if you're not happy with it we can always do more).

My takeaways:

- Overall, held up well on its own and against iPhone 7 Plus and S8+

- When it comes to drops, more than display letting go, I'd say first likely thing to happen is that the battery door clips that hold it in might let go, but you should be able to pop them back into place pretty easily if that happens without issue.

- There is adhesive holding in the display -- I can even see it in JerryRig's video -- but it's more like this caulking adhesive around all of the edges of the display (not under the metal). Is there more they can do to lock that sucker down? Maybe. Would I worry about it? Based on my experiences today and over the past few months... Nope.

Attachment 424853Attachment 424854Attachment 424855
    Thank you for doing this and giving us a preview of the results!

My question is regarding the back cover: In the JerryRig video, the sound of it snapping back on is similar to the Z10's back cover, which is meant to be removable for the replaceable battery. The KEYone doesn't have a replaceable battery, but if the back cover is easily removed and put back on, then it bodes well for battery replacement in the future. Does the KEYone's back cover snap back on like the Z10's?
    06-09-17 04:48 PM
    well I'm satisfied as I don't get close to abusing my phone as has been done in Kevin's test or Jerryrig. yes it's disappointing to read about those that had their screens pop off unexpectedly but I'm sure every new phone produced will have some defects and don't believe for a moment that won't happen with Apple , Samsung or any new Android device. if you recall the Passport had a similar issue with some of the phones but if I recall there was no widespread panic. Be patient everyone and enjoy this truly amazing, head turning device. KEYone FTW.
    06-09-17 04:51 PM
    TCL doesn't have to say anything yet. They're a corporation that has to carefully plan what they would say and can't just come out and make a statement either way, defending or apologizing. It could be a design for ease of repair as many have suggested.

The simple, caveman truth to this is just do not attack your smartphone in any way.
    06-09-17 04:58 PM
    TCL doesn't have to say anything yet. They're a corporation that has to carefully plan what they would say and can't just come out and make a statement either way, defending or apologizing. It could be a design for ease of repair as many have suggested.

The simple, caveman truth to this is just do not attack your smartphone in any way.
    Welcome to crackberry!
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-09-17 04:59 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    Thank you very much! I appreciate being welcomed.
    06-09-17 05:01 PM
    TCL doesn't have to say anything yet.
    Isn't that what they paid crackberry for as "marketing partner"?
    ofesad and hjc73734 like this.
    06-09-17 05:08 PM

You mean how they carefully planned their press release on a certain device variant availability on May 31st?
    hjc73734 likes this.
    06-09-17 05:14 PM
    Isn't that what they paid crackberry for as "marketing partner"?

I'm not familiar with CrackBerry's private business relationship with TCL, so I can't speculate. But, you could be correct, I just wouldn't know that for a fact.

I think CrackBerry has, in many ways, always been "marketing" for BlackBerry. I'm not one who would be able to confirm either way.
    06-09-17 05:14 PM
    I'm not familiar with CrackBerry's private business relationship with TCL, so I can't speculate. But, you could be correct, I just wouldn't know that for a fact.

I think CrackBerry has, in many ways, always been "marketing" for BlackBerry. I'm not one who would be able to confirm either way.
    You don't have to confirm anything. They confirmed it themselves.
    06-09-17 05:17 PM
    You mean how they carefully planned their press release on a certain device variant availability on May 31st?
    Apparently the launch didn't provide everybody with their device. I don't know why because I'm not a TCL employee nor do I work for BlackBerry or CrackBerry.

I meant what I typed. No other hidden message. I'm not referring to anything about the launch. We're past the launch now.
    06-09-17 05:19 PM
    A little behind the scenes action...

nolimits7 likes this.
    06-09-17 05:21 PM
    You don't have to confirm anything. They confirmed it themselves.
    I always knew I didn't have to confirm anything because I don't know that information. It's not my business to know.

I made arrangements with my carrier to receive my KEYone well in advance of the launch date. They called me and I picked it up. That's all I know for sure other than how awesome my KEYone is performing.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    06-09-17 05:22 PM
    Tesla Drop Test!

laketrout73 and nolimits7 like this.
    Ng scene please
    Tesla Drop Test!

How were you able to secure a crane on such short notice? Oh, it's "that" drop test.
    Last edited by AwkwardUnkleHug; 06-09-17 at 05:35 PM.
    06-09-17 05:23 PM
    Oh that's easy it's hidden in the small print on the main page - marketing partner is their term. I think only Mr. Mobile put a disclaimer in his review noting the paid relationship
    06-09-17 05:30 PM
    Oh that's easy it's hidden in the small print on the main page - marketing partner is their term. I think only Mr. Mobile put a disclaimer in his review noting the paid relationship
    Sorry. My bad, I didn't even know that was a disclosed relationship. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    06-09-17 05:34 PM
    Sorry. My bad, I didn't even know that was a disclosed relationship. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    They are also paid to be the support forum for users.
    06-09-17 05:35 PM
    Appreciate all the information regarding the new relationship between BlackBerry Mobile and CrackBerry, it all makes sense now.
    06-09-17 05:37 PM
    If the caulking is like tar. It is not glue.
    Although a clear caulking for like windows. Then it is more sturdy when dry
    06-09-17 05:38 PM
    They are also paid to be the support forum for users.
    Ahh, it's all coming together now. Thanks.
    06-09-17 05:38 PM
    If the caulking is like tar. It is not glue.
    Although a clear caulking for like windows. Then it is more sturdy when dry
    I think (wouldn't know for certain) that CBK used the word "caulking" as a descriptor for adhesive due to where and how it's applied.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    06-09-17 05:39 PM
    Exactly, you would not treat your new car this way. Or how about those new subscription sun glasses that are $500 plus. Are you going to bend, scratch, burn them? Nope, you treat delicately.
    A couple of issues reported here and a video of someone purposely wrecking a phone. Such panic! Especially when the KEYone has a one year manufactured warranty on it. Whats the issue? Inconvenience?
    My wife is keeping the KEYone, it's been dropped twice on tile and totally fine and in her purse without a case. No scratches at all.
    well at the same time would you be happy paying 500 bucs for a pair of sunglasses that don have screws on the temples ?
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-09-17 05:39 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry user since 2008 and satisfied ever since. Of all the devices I've used from BlackBerry have been good, the KEYone so far is the best of all of the previous devices I've used.
    06-09-17 06:04 PM
    We can all learn something here:

Many may find this to be irrelevant, so be it.
    06-09-17 06:09 PM
555 ... 1617181920 ...