simple. don't bend it. lol
    simple. don't crash your car.
    06-10-17 06:55 PM
    To be honest this extreme test on the keyone is the tipping point for me personally.
    I wanted to love this phone and genuinely do, as I have played around on my brothers device for a couple of hours but he fact that I can't even get one on Telus and no one can even provide a release date for unlocked ones seems ridiculous.

I think I will wait it out Until the next tcl phone or grab one cheap when the pop up.
    Too bad and hope everyone else enjoys their keyones and no serious problems occur.
    06-10-17 07:00 PM
    It's also too early to say if this is a wide spread problem. Like all new products there are always defective models , just like when I got my Nintendo switch, the Net seemed to be filled with defects . Who knows, maybe 99 % of all keyones will hold their displays just fine so long as u don't decide to to bend your phone like a maniac.
    It's not too early. There's only thousands in the hands of people worldwide. This issue is based on feedback from a very good sample size out of those thousands.

Any company who wants to be on good terms with its customers should always pay attention to feedback whether it's positive or negative.

In this case, TCL is acknowledging the problem and is taking measures to prevent this from happening in future phones shipped. Don't be so quick to try and smother feedback because you love your device.
    06-10-17 07:02 PM
    Finally, I was able to watch the video.
    My take on it.
    The guy clearly said that the phone will have no problem for everyday used.
    up to the point of the bending test that has detached the the screen. He also said that would be an easy fix.
    Overall I'm satisfied.
    No need to worries. Buy the phone when it is fixed with more glue.
    And maybe to stretch the wire a little longer.
    06-10-17 07:41 PM
    To be honest this extreme test on the keyone is the tipping point for me personally.
    I wanted to love this phone and genuinely do, as I have played around on my brothers device for a couple of hours but he fact that I can't even get one on Telus and no one can even provide a release date for unlocked ones seems ridiculous.

I think I will wait it out Until the next tcl phone or grab one cheap when the pop up.
    Too bad and hope everyone else enjoys their keyones and no serious problems occur.
    You can get one at Telus.
    06-10-17 08:05 PM
    Just got sent to me from BlackBerry Mobile:

TCL Communication has a long-standing track record of delivering high-quality devices to our customers around the world, and the BlackBerry KEYone is no different. To ensure the highest quality in the BlackBerry KEYone, we used strong, durable premium materials and conducted rigorous stress tests on the device throughout the product development cycle to meet the real life use standards our customers demand. While the BlackBerry KEYone is being met with great enthusiasm, we are aware of the concerns around potential display separation on the device. Out of the thousands of BlackBerry KEYone smartphones that have been shipped and sold globally, only a very small handful of customers have reported this kind of issue.

Our teams are actively examining additional adhesive measures that might further strengthen and eliminate any possibility of display separation occurring. If a customer does experience this however, they’re encouraged to contact us for a device warranty replacement.

As I mentioned yesterday afternoon, recorded my KEYone durability test video. Should have it posted on Monday or Tuesday at the latest (dependent on my editor and she had commitments this weekend she couldn't get out of. Can read my debrief / spoilers here. Overall, it held up exceedingly well.

Will get this posted to homepage of CrackBerry asap too.. at my parents right now and my VPN is acting up (can't make new article posts without connection).
    To those who keep whining about keyone they an give me their slot for pre order loool

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-10-17 09:55 PM
    To those who keep whining about keyone they an give me their slot for pre order loool

Posted via CB10
    Wait for revision 2. That's what I would do unless you need a phone right away.
    06-10-17 10:47 PM
    I've seen iPhones drop a few inches the wrong way and shatter the screen. Pick your damage.
    Sure. And that will happen with K1 too as it happened to my first Passport SE. Due to the big screens used actually, the phones are more fragile.
    But we are talking here about a problem easily avoidable with some glue.
    06-11-17 03:17 AM
    Hmmm let's play "use our imagination". If the screen has no adhesive then perhaps.... Perhaps... Ordinary conditions can also pop it out. Like a hot day and a bit of torsional force like a pocket. Get it?
    If I use my imagination, I can think of a lot of hypothetical situations that might damage any phone.

You and everyone else don't actually know if the amount of glue is sufficient because no one has the failure rate which is the only thing that matters when making this type of assessment.

Assuming the glue around the edges is insufficient for the intended use is engineering amateur hour.

i.e. like people saying Torsional stress -- the video showed bending stress not torsional. You need vice grips, or strong hands combined a twisting force to apply torsional stress. Not gonna happen in anyone's pocket...
    06-11-17 08:07 AM
    Sure. And that will happen with K1 too as it happened to my first Passport SE. Due to the big screens used actually, the phones are more fragile.
    But we are talking here about a problem easily avoidable with some glue.
    Size of the screen, quality of the material, thickness of the material, protection around the edge, and construction will all impact the outcome in a fall. It is not just simply the size of the screen.
    06-11-17 08:11 AM
    It's not too early. There's only thousands in the hands of people worldwide. This issue is based on feedback from a very good sample size out of those thousands.

Any company who wants to be on good terms with its customers should always pay attention to feedback whether it's positive or negative.

In this case, TCL is acknowledging the problem and is taking measures to prevent this from happening in future phones shipped. Don't be so quick to try and smother feedback because you love your device.
    Really? What exactly is the failure rate you're basing your assessment on. I'll put on my corporate hat for a second as the engineering manager.

"Hey boss, you seen that guy Jerry's video? He pulled a karate bending move on the phone and the screen popped out. Now everyone is claiming that we aren't using enough glue. He didn't see any glue pasted all over the back of the screen -- because we didn't need it -- so he assumed we didn't use any? pfft."

"Have we had any customer reports?"

"Just a couple, nothing more than typical manufacturing defects, we've investigated a few and it looks like they were anomalies with the manufacturing in those cases, we're still investigating. You should read what people are saying, jumping to all sorts of conclusions based on one video and a handful of reports on one forum."

"OK, we'll just release a statement saying we're investing -- because we are. We can also say we'll add more glue IF it makes sense to do so. "

"Look boss, we don't need more glue..."

"Like I said, we will CONSIDER using more glue only if find it is problem of not enough glue".

That is exactly what any smart company and engineering department would do. Investigate noisy customer complaints and commit to fixing any problem they might find. The statement is an acknowledgement of a POTENTIAL problem and acknowledgement of CUSTOMER CONCERN. That is exactly what they should do and they should stand by their commitment to fix any problems they MIGHT find.

However, it is not an acknowledgement of an actual design flaw. For all we know, the case of the popped screen from the care console could have been a manufacturing defect, where the glue that was supposed to be along the edges didn't get applied fully or properly. No one knows.

The poster is 100% correct, that it is too early to say if it is widespread problem because you do not have real numbers. Only speculation.
    06-11-17 08:21 AM
    Size of the screen, quality of the material, thickness of the material, protection around the edge, and construction will all impact the outcome in a fall. It is not just simply the size of the screen.
    That's it. What I was referring to is that today screen sizes are bigger than before the first iPhone changed the rules. If I'm not wrong that one was 3,5" vs 4,5" in th K1. That added fragility to devices.
    The problem with some K1 is that added to that issue affecting almost every device they lack glue on the screen or it is badly applied so screen popping out is another damage possibility.
    06-11-17 08:33 AM
    Mild torsional stress? That is not what the video shows.
    Pocket. Never saw a pocket test. Haven't heard of a screen popping off from pocket use. All the screen pops I have read about here are from drops and one video case of major bending (not torsional) stress.

The stupidity is coming from assumptions of a design flaw based on a handful of anecdotes combined with wild guesses of total units sold.

As for expensive things dying on first drop, I don't think I know of a single iPhone user (who paid a lot more) who hasn't cracked a fragile screen or had a power button that stopped working making the phone useless in both cases. Please spare us the dramatics.

That bend test is no where close to normal use, so it's not relevant what is relevant is the one where one individual dropped his device and the screen popped out. TCL I believe is addressing it based on their recent statement
    There is one thread about user having their k1 screen popped out by just light drop. It's not a big problem like samsung's note 7 explosion or apple's antennagate. But jerry's video did show us that there is weak point where the screen not well sticked/glued.
    06-11-17 08:37 AM
    There is one thread about user having their k1 screen popped out by just light drop. It's not a big problem like samsung's note 7 explosion or apple's antennagate. But jerry's video did show us that there is weak point where the screen not well sticked/glued.
    I disagree. Jerry's video did not show us anything about a screen not being well sticked or glued. That test did not demonstrate any problem with the screen because it was a unrealistic test and was guaranteed to break any phone with screen and a keyboard.
    06-11-17 08:50 AM
    Really? What exactly is the failure rate you're basing your assessment on. I'll put on my corporate hat for a second as the engineering manager.

However, it is not an acknowledgement of an actual design flaw. For all we know, the case of the popped screen from the care console could have been a manufacturing defect, where the glue that was supposed to be along the edges didn't get applied fully or properly. No one knows.

The poster is 100% correct, that it is too early to say if it is widespread problem because you do not have real numbers. Only speculation.
    My point was that it is widespread enough for the manufacturer to release a statement that they are aware and looking into it. So, no one should be smothering anyone's feedback at this point (which was being done here).
    06-11-17 10:41 AM
    My point was that it is widespread enough for the manufacturer to release a statement that they are aware and looking into it. So, no one should be smothering anyone's feedback at this point (which was being done here).
    I believe the statement came more as a result of the saga here at Crackberry (which they monitor), than from any device return metrics.
    06-11-17 10:45 AM
    I don't think that is a valid assumption. The customer concern is widespread enough to merit a response, not necessarily an engineering problem. They hint at that in their statement.
    Last edited by schwartz1030; 06-11-17 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added a word
    06-11-17 10:58 AM
    They reacted to JerryRig's video because it's a popular channel, and the immediate knee jerk hysteria on this forum as result. As schwartz1030 noted, they put out a statement and said they would 'look into it'. They may put more adhesive under the screen or they may not, depending on the number of devices affected. I've dropped my KeyONE three times already and no lift, no pop, nothing. Hopefully I can stop being clumsy but based on my own drop test, I'm completely satisfied that the design build is solid (aside from the factory popping out a few lemons, which is normal).
    06-11-17 11:30 AM
    They reacted to JerryRig's video because it's a popular channel, and the immediate knee jerk hysteria on this forum as result. As schwartz1030 noted, they put out a statement and said they would 'look into it'. They may put more adhesive under the screen or they may not, depending on the number of devices affected. I've dropped my KeyONE three times already and no lift, no pop, nothing. Hopefully I can stop being clumsy but based on my own drop test, I'm completely satisfied that the design build is solid (aside from the factory popping out a few lemons, which is normal).
    It may have been knee jerk, however TCL created this environment for its customers and potential customers. Feedback, any feedback, should not be put down. Rather, it should serve as a lesson learned for conducting business.
    06-11-17 12:01 PM
    It may have been knee jerk, however TCL created this environment for its customers and potential customers. Feedback, any feedback, should not be put down. Rather, it should serve as a lesson learned for conducting business.
    I'll agree that they did a terrible job at communicating supply issues (including CDMA) around the May 31 launch. Badly mismanaged, and I hope they learn their lesson when it comes to the next device launch.

Sure, feedback is important. And TCL responded. But there are people even now claiming that there's no adhesive under the KeyONE screen when that clearly isn't true. And CBK can't be trusted because he's a paid shill of TCL, etc... Now that there's a resolution, go back to the beginning of some of the negative threads, reread them, and tell me if some of the posts aren't completely ridiculous in hindsight.

TCL didn't create the environment for people to overreact based on flimsy anecdotal evidence.
    06-11-17 12:08 PM
    I'll agree that they did a terrible job at communicating supply issues (including CDMA) around the May 31 launch. Badly mismanaged, and I hope they learn their lesson when it comes to the next device launch.

Sure, feedback is important. And TCL responded. But there are people even now claiming that there's no adhesive under the KeyONE screen when that clearly isn't true. And CBK can't be trusted because he's a paid shill of TCL, etc... Now that there's a resolution, go back to the beginning of some of the negative threads, reread them, and tell me if some of the posts aren't completely ridiculous in hindsight.

TCL didn't create the environment for people to overreact based on flimsy anecdotal evidence.
    They are ridiculous in hindsight because of the mess created by not communicating and mishandling of the launch. Regressing over original comments serves no purpose now. For many, the ship has already sailed with regards to purchasing this phone.
    06-11-17 02:15 PM
    They are ridiculous in hindsight because of the mess created by not communicating and mishandling of the launch. Regressing over original comments serves no purpose now. For many, the ship has already sailed with regards to purchasing this phone.
    I'm not suggesting a witch hunt, just that there's a few lessons to be learned about immediately hitting the panic button. Let's agree to agree AND disagree on the issue.

I feel badly for people who moved on solely as a result of the uncertainty. The KeyOne is a beautiful communications device and I'm sure many of them would have been very happy with it.
    06-11-17 02:30 PM
    06-11-17 02:38 PM
    Agreed.

Don't feel bad for people who moved on because of uncertainty. The burden isn't on them as consumers. As a consumer I should have a degree of certainty that I'm going to be satisfied with a product before I purchase it, not after. Money is hard to come by for a vast majority of people. All TCL has to do now is deliver and display a body of work that they will take care of their customers and not BS them.
    06-11-17 02:42 PM
    Saying it and doing it are 2 different things... Lol
    mister2d likes this.
    06-11-17 02:45 PM
555 ... 20212223