Closed for review.
    slagman5 likes this.
    06-08-17 06:24 PM
    Reopened. Think twice before hitting that post button and make sure your post is discussing the topic without trolling, insults, or any other verbiage that contradicts the Rules and Guidelines.
    06-08-17 06:58 PM
    I don't know why donnation would be surprised for a recall because "it was obviously a manufacturing decision." MANY recalls have been to fix something that was a manufacturing decision. But the testing they do during manufacturing sometimes would not yield the same result as real-world use, so there have been many instances where companies have realized their intended design had a flaw that need to be fixed...
    I can see this happening. It's a pretty easy fix .
    06-08-17 07:08 PM
    I feel so popular! You guys always seem to find a way to want to talk about me.

Y'all making me blush!
    Devhux, PALoeza, mister2d and 1 others like this.
    06-08-17 07:11 PM
    99% of buyers of KEYone will never see this video or will they care to research the phone first.
    Only people like us (you all know the type) :-) care enough to research.
    As I posted in another thread - when you search "BlackBerry KeyOne" on YouTube, this video is the top result. And it has a quarter of a million views in just 9 hours - already more views than most REVIEWS of the phone, including Mr. Mobile, CrackBerry Kevin, Erica Griffin, Android Authority reviews, and many others.
    06-08-17 07:19 PM
    I didn't have a dollar coin size suction cup but I have one about the size of a quater. I pulled from all around the edges and nothing seems to want to pop up.

Maybe mine has the glue?

Attachment 424776
    It's not that it just randomly pops out, well, for some it has. It is held down by the frame, likely there's a groove that kind of holds the backing in place. But it's that there's nothing else besides this so maybe a drop or a bend could cause it to come loose.
    06-08-17 07:21 PM
    If TCL starts to add adhesive to hold the panel in place would they recall all the Keyone's that has been sold?
    06-08-17 07:23 PM
    It's not that it just randomly pops out, well, for some it has. It is held down by the frame, likely there's a groove that kind of holds the backing in place. But it's that there's nothing else besides this so maybe a drop or a bend could cause it to come loose.
    Oh well, I did my twists, bends, and drop, and suction cup tests on mine and I'm satisfied. I'm still keeping mine for now.

But I sure do understand people's concerns. I think the big question is was there suppose to be glue or was there a batch that missed the glue.
    06-08-17 07:25 PM
    If TCL starts to add adhesive to hold the panel in place would they recall all the Keyone's that has been sold?
    All 47 of them need to go back ASAP
    Bay 13 and AllanQuatermain like this.
    06-08-17 07:29 PM
    My phone is arriving tomorrow. I will put it through normal use, and will use an Incipio case. I will see if my screen falls off or not... but I am not willing to bend it on purpose!!! LOL
    06-08-17 07:29 PM
    No that's too expensive. TCL will probably add the screen issue to the list of things covered under warranty. They'll fix it in the next batch manufacture run.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-08-17 07:31 PM
    My phone is arriving tomorrow. I will put it through normal use, and will use an Incipio case. I will see if my screen falls off or not... but I am not willing to bend it on purpose!!! LOL
    Come on.. not even just a little twist? you know you want to!
    06-08-17 07:36 PM
    General recalls typically are reserved for safety concerns, but a voluntary recall MIGHT happen, but probably wouldn't. I think they will simply honor a repair for the problem shall it happen on a case-by-case basis. Most likely in or out of warranty.

Disclaimer: Not claiming there's a guarantee this would be the case, this is just my opinion, not saying anyone should think this would be the case, blahblahblahblahblah.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-08-17 07:40 PM
    ... You'd expect the two halves of the [PRIV] phone to flex, since they're separate. On the other hand, there's no pretense of separation on the KEYone. There are no moving parts. Sure, the Passport lifted a little when flexed but bending it didn't produce a dramatic failure like the KEYone, because they glued the bleeping thing.
    The KEYone isn't a slab phone with high strength glass covering and strengthening the full length of the phone.

Where the KEYone screen meets the keyboard is always going to be the point of failure in a severe bend test. That's why the phone has a metal frame surrounding it.
    06-08-17 07:40 PM
    Oh well, I did my twists, bends, and drop, and suction cup tests on mine and I'm satisfied. I'm still keeping mine for now.

But I sure do understand people's concerns. I think the big question is was there suppose to be glue or was there a batch that missed the glue.
    If it doesn't affect you and doesn't worry you, then just keep enjoying the device. I'm keeping mine as well. I don't think there was supposed to be glue there, think they decided that since the frame is made out of aluminum and not plastic that it would be enough to hold onto it.
    06-08-17 07:41 PM
    I am returning mine for better batch. Early productions are usually bad anyway. I will look for modified and more refined version!
    06-08-17 07:43 PM
    Where the KEYone screen meets the keyboard is always going to be the point of failure in a severe bend test. That's why the phone has a metal frame surrounding it.
    Yes, that's where the point of failure is, but the issue is the method of failure. Admittedly, the Passport is too old to have a review from the same guy, but here's The Globe and Mail trying to bend it back in 2014:

Yes, the screen lifted apart from the frame at the interface with the keyboard. No, the screen did not completely separate from the phone. No, the screen did not cease to function after lifting. What a difference a tube of glue makes.
    eldeadache likes this.
    06-08-17 07:47 PM
    I am returning mine for better batch. Early productions are usually bad anyway. I will look for modified and more refined version!
    My question is...will Blackberry Mobile publicly announced this as a problem? Will they come out and say from here out all Keyone's produce will have adhesive added to the panel. If they do not...how would we know if it has been rectified? Unless Big Jerry rig one 3 or 4 months from now.
    06-08-17 07:49 PM
    The KEYone isn't a slab phone with high strength glass covering and strengthening the full length of the phone.

I agree with your post . I think that even with adhesive the phone would not resist in such a test because of the keyboard.

On the other hand I have dropped down my device already twice ( unfortunately my ordered cases haven't arrived yet ) and had absolutely no defects.
    06-08-17 07:50 PM
    Yes, that's where the point of failure is, but the issue is the method of failure. Admittedly, the Passport is too old to have a review from the same guy, but here's The Globe and Mail trying to bend it back in 2014:

Yes, the screen lifted apart from the frame at the interface with the keyboard. No, the screen did not completely separate from the phone. No, the screen did not cease to function after lifting. What a difference a tube of glue makes.
    That wasn't the Passport weak point. Bending it from the corners to induce torsion stress would.

JerryRigEverything's KEYone video is out...-ozmub5c.jpg
    06-08-17 07:52 PM
    That's what the problem is, we all know these bend tests arent real world occurrences aside from mistakenly sitting on it but the fact that there is nothing to hold the screen in is a major fail.
    It's not so much the screen coming loose, it's ripping the tiny ribbon cable giving it life.
    06-08-17 07:55 PM
    My question is...will Blackberry Mobile publicly announced this as a problem? Will they come out and say from here out all Keyone's produce will have adhesive added to the panel. If they do not...how would we know if it has been rectified? Unless Big Jerry rig one 3 or 4 months from now.
    They could do as Apple does, not publicly acknowledge the problem but quietly fix for anyone who has the problem, even after the warranty period.

I hope they come up with a solution more elegant than a goop of adhesive.
    06-08-17 07:56 PM
    Let's all get a nokia 3310 (original, not the crappy fluorescent version lol). (j/k)
    Not available in Canada
    I so want it... now I'm waiting on the Jelly Phone
    06-08-17 07:57 PM
    I have no idea but I won't be happy even if they repair the phone. When your phone is fixed, basically your phone will become a recertified device with less value. Best thing to do right now is to get a refund while you can and wait for better product model.
    06-08-17 07:59 PM
    I agree with your post . I think that even with adhesive the phone would not resist in such a test because of the keyboard.
    If the screen and housing is a single unit, as it appears to be, it will separate even with glue, just not as easily.
    06-08-17 08:00 PM
555 ... 1112131415 ...