I should let them defend themselves but I believe the podcast may have been filmed prior to the youtube video.
    Stop it, you might be accused of being a defender or apologist to suggest anything short of them deliberately trying to deceive everyone...
    Captain Kitchener likes this.
    06-08-17 05:57 PM
    nothing serious! mine is solid. I can bend any phone for sure with my naked hands. just a review therapy

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    06-08-17 05:58 PM
    First people thought CBK would remain silent on this issue; now they are mad he responded quickly and assume it's just damage control.

Still way too early to know how widespread this issue is. Give Kevin a break here and let's see how this develops. You can bet TCL won't be able to keep quiet about this and we'll probably hear something soon. Until then, relax!

If you want to return your KEYone go right ahead. Nobody is going to stop you. Just be respectful to Kevin and the other KEYone supporters as everyone is still wrapping their head around this. We don't have all the details yet.
    LOL, that's the funny thing about certain people here on the forums. No matter what, they are wrong... And if you don't share the same "damn them for everything no matter what" attitude, you're one of them, or you have an agenda, you're an apologist, you're a fanboy, you're a defender, blah blah blah blah blah...
    06-08-17 05:59 PM
    This is one hilarious thread. Most of the people whinging are those who don't even own one.

Jerry didn't do the bend test on PRIV because he knew it would be catastrophic, since it had two part phone If he had, we would had similar results.

I had been using the KEYᵒⁿᵉ from early April, dropped it a couple of times, it stays in my pocket as it would and don't believe it'll get any more bending then it does right now.
    I'd be crazy to bend the phone as much as he did, specially knowing the phone front has two parts.

I have no issues from the build quality point of view. Its good to know what's behind the build quality and if it does cause grief, I'm sure BlackBerry can help us out.
    06-08-17 06:00 PM
    Jerry didn't do the bend test on PRIV because he knew it would be catastrophic, since it had two part phone If he had, we would had similar results.
    Just a little problem with that:

You'd expect the two halves of the phone to flex, since they're separate. On the other hand, there's no pretense of separation on the KEYone. There are no moving parts. Sure, the Passport lifted a little when flexed but bending it didn't produce a dramatic failure like the KEYone, because they glued the bleeping thing.
    phuoc likes this.
    06-08-17 06:01 PM
    LOL, that's the funny thing about certain people here on the forums. No matter what, they are wrong... And if you don't share the same "damn them for everything no matter what" attitude, you're one of them, or you have an agenda, you're an apologist, you're a fanboy, you're a defender, blah blah blah blah blah...
    Exactly. I'm not trying to defend BlackBerry or TCL. I'm just saying we need to relax and wait to see how this plays out.
    06-08-17 06:03 PM
    Dude. Hesitation to drop because if anything *did* happen -- scratches, dents, etc. -- I wouldn't be able to get another one.

The problem was known from the beginning. Watch CB Kevin's hesitation to drop-test the phone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...&v=7PjA3uxQu60
    PALoeza likes this.
    06-08-17 06:03 PM
    Just a little problem with that:

You'd expect the two halves of the phone to flex, since they're separate. On the other hand, there's no pretense of separation on the KEYone. Sure, the Passport lifted a little when flexed but bending it didn't produce a dramatic failure like the KEYone, because they glued the bleeping thing.
    Exactly. Hence these phones cannot be tested like any other one piece slab phone.
    06-08-17 06:05 PM
    Exactly. I'm not trying to defend BlackBerry or TCL. I'm just saying we need to relax and wait to see how this plays out.
    Uh oh, you said the word "relax." Nothing makes people screech like the word "relax"...
    FF22 and phuoc like this.
    06-08-17 06:07 PM
    who would ever put their device through a bend test, just stupid. I already had a drop and no damage. 16 hrs of use so far SOT 3.hr 27 min and 47% battery left
    06-08-17 06:09 PM
    Uh oh, you said the word "relax." Nothing makes people screech like the word "relax"...
    Crap! You're right. Oops
    06-08-17 06:09 PM
    I'd be surprised if they recalled it. It was obviously a manufacturing decision. Unless tons of people complain to TCL about it I don't think they will even address it, outside of fixing it (I'd assume).
    Well, if there is a recall I'll send mine in. Why take chances
    06-08-17 06:10 PM
    You don't know it for sure. That's a guess. And that's the problem.

Didn't someone post that their KEYone's screen had fallen off when they had taken it out of a pocket?
    Yes.

There were around 10 users who had their screens fall out, the very first user dropped it onto his little dash board or something, but there is definitely one guy who just had it come loose for no reason at all, like the passport screen lift but much more pronounced...
    06-08-17 06:11 PM
    Anyone watching that is never going to buy the phone talk about putting a dent in sales.
    99% of buyers of KEYone will never see this video or will they care to research the phone first.
    Only people like us (you all know the type) :-) care enough to research.
    A forced bend and break will not deter most people as TCL/BlackBerry will warranty this device. They won't ignore the issue.

I would hate to be on a plane on fire with many here as the panic in your words would kill us all.
    fanisk and j21jam6 like this.
    06-08-17 06:14 PM
    Well, I have one ordered. Honestly I'm pretty much over this phone at this point. Between the garbage reception this phone gets, the bad speaker quality, and now this, I don't see a point really in buying it. I'll probably keep my order open and end up returning it within the time limit.
    I've had mine for 8 days now. Purchased from that first batch that sold the night before within two hours. Not a single issue encountered so far.

Just wondering if the bad ones were made very early on.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    who would ever put their device through a bend test, just stupid. I already had a drop and no damage. 16 hrs of use so far SOT 3.hr 27 min and 47% battery left
    This most likely wouldn't affect the majority of users. But the point of the video was to show that they didn't safeguard better against it. I think they felt the rigid aluminum frame was enough to hold the screen in, and like I've said, this would probably be true for most users, but had they also glued it, or screwed it down, it would be much better and much more likely to survive drops than it is now. Basically the video points out that there was a very easy and cheap way they could have made the product more durable than it was and they didn't. Yes, I don't remember any time I was bored I started bending my phone either. But maybe a fall at just the right angle would do the device in.

Look at the gorilla glass thing. I've had many phones that did not have Gorilla Glass or any other brand of glass that was specially made to be break-resistant. I've dropped those phones before without any issues. Does that excuse them not using Gorilla Glass? It's always better to plan for the worse possible situation in my opinion.

I'm also going to keep my KEYone though, I think I'll be alright, and would know how to fix it even if it happened. But that's just me...
    Here's one guy already at it! Hahahahahaha!
    How about not snapping your phone in two
    06-08-17 06:16 PM
    As long as TCL covers the few phones that exhibit this issue under warranty they'll be fine. A general recall is crazy, they didn't when some Passport had screen lift and torsion bend issues and they won't for the KeyOne.
    Made in China 🙄
    So is Apple, what's your point?
    Well, if there is a recall I'll send mine in. Why take chances
    I don't know why donnation would be surprised for a recall because "it was obviously a manufacturing decision." MANY recalls have been to fix something that was a manufacturing decision. But the testing they do during manufacturing sometimes would not yield the same result as real-world use, so there have been many instances where companies have realized their intended design had a flaw that need to be fixed...
    Well this is an interesting point of view. I returned mine to BB for quality issues...

I suggest to those who are still within the 15 day return policy and have issues beyond software...don't hold out. I decided to cash out and wait a little - no point in replacing it with another one at this moment.
    can you tell me a little more about the return policy? where did you buy it?
    99% of buyers of KEYone will never see this video or will they care to research the phone first.
    A forced bend and break will not deter most people as TCL/BlackBerry will warranty this device. They won't ignore the issue.

I would hate to be on a plane on fire with many here as the panic in your words would kill us all.
    I agree. I really don't think they will just turn their backs on consumers if they reported that their screens come off, even out of warranty. I've owned many products that has had problems like this where mine didn't get affected until after the warranty was done. But after contacting the manufacturer, they still fixed it for free anyway. You never know unless you ask...

Again, not guaranteeing this would be the case with TCL, it's just my personal opinion and I'm making my own personal decisions based on my opinions, which could very well be wrong. Not saying anyone else should follow my lead. I hate that I need these disclaimers, but I do and some of you know why...
    Bee Gee likes this.
    06-08-17 06:20 PM
    I've had mine for 8 days now. Purchased from that first batch that sold the night before within two hours. Not a single issue encountered so far.

Well since you've had it for 8 days... I guess there's no cause for concern!
    Al moon likes this.
    06-08-17 06:20 PM

I thought the only people who bought this phone were CrackBerry users? And I'm pretty sure every CrackBerry user has seen this video.

Not saying that YOU said this but this was the sentiment here. That nobody even knows about this phone except for us.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-08-17 06:23 PM

There probably wasn't and "bad ones" and "good ones." This was how they were designed. But there's something called tolerances. Even if every component was made from the same assembly line by the same robot, they would all be somewhat different. Some of the aluminum might be a little more brittle than the next, or one might be a few microns thicker on one side than the other, etc... Then since there are multiple components joining together, those tolerances can stack. Meaning let's say if the frame was a few microns thinner on one side, but the screen was a few microns thicker on that same side, nothing will happen, but if the frame was a few microns thinner on one side and the screen was a few microns thinner on that same side, now there's a small gap you can't see with the naked eye that makes that device more fragile than the one before it, even though they came off the same assembly line. I think it's literally called tolerance stacking.

Anyway, there's a good chance you might not get affected by this, or maybe you will. I don't know, and whether you're ok with holding on to it is your choice. I'm holding onto mine, so far also no issues with mine...
    06-08-17 06:24 PM
555 ... 1011121314 ...