I'm still trying to figure out what's keeping the screen in place to begin with. Clips, force, magic? I don't want to return my device, the battery life and keyboard makes me want to keep it. I've also not had any signal issues. With that said, if I hadn't bought it already I would probably not be buying it anytime soon until they announce that they've fixed the issue.
    Self-sealing stem-bolts.
    thurask and ominaxe like this.
    06-08-17 05:29 PM
    Doesn't change things one bit as far as I'm concerned. That's a lot of stress he's putting the phone through. I certainly don't see myself abusing the keyone in that way. At the end of the day, if you've waited long for an up to date blackberry with a decent keyboard, form factor and acceptable performance, while running Android... this is still the phone for you.
    06-08-17 05:29 PM
    someone try the suction cup test on their screen!
    footnote likes this.
    06-08-17 05:30 PM
    Seriously guys? First Kevin and Bla1ze were shills.

It's not really much of a conspiracy theory to suggest that when company x is paid by company y to promote its products that it might say nice things about it.
    06-08-17 05:31 PM
    Doesn't change things one bit as far as I'm concerned. That's a lot of stress he's putting the phone through. I certainly don't see myself abusing the keyone in that way. At the end of the day, if you've waited long for an up to date blackberry with a decent keyboard, form factor and acceptable performance, while running Android... this is still the phone for you.
    this is a paid advertisement paid for by CB
    eldeadache likes this.
    06-08-17 05:32 PM
    Self-sealing stem-bolts.
    Whoever sold TCL on the idea probably has big lobes.
    ominaxe, MikeX74, mister2d and 1 others like this.
    06-08-17 05:34 PM
    Seriously guys? First Kevin and Bla1ze were shills for not commenting fast enough and now that Kevin says "I'm going to look into this..." he's somehow hiding something?! Give me a break!

I'm not thrilled with the results of the review... but I'm happy Kevin is addressing it. Hopefully TCL/BBM will act on the results. But don't start blaming Bla1ze and Kevin.
    Who is blaming them for anything? I think people wanted them to comment before on the CDMA thing and pretty good chance they didn't because TCL didn't want them to since the answer isn't pretty (We actually didn't make any but told you they would be on sale). Now this is an immediate response because this thing is taking off everywhere and as you can see from this thread alone, its very damaging so of of course they want whatever way they can to nip it in the bud quickly.
    Nobody is blaming Kevin or Bla1ze for anything but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that impartiality has basically gone out the window now that TCL in involved with the site. It's natural that would happen. I don't know what your job is but I highly doubt whoever is paying you would appreciate you criticizing their products publicly either. Same idea here. And if you haven't noticed, they haven't been very critical of anything lately. They used to always be openly critical of BlackBerry when things didn't go right and it was deserved.
    06-08-17 05:35 PM
    It's not really much of a conspiracy theory to suggest that when company x is paid by company y to promote its products that it might say nice things about it.
    Yep. And Elvis is alive, 911 was an inside job...and man never actually walked on the moon.
    06-08-17 05:35 PM
    Whoever sold TCL on the idea probably has big lobes.
    I wasn't sure anyone would get the reference.
    06-08-17 05:39 PM
    Yep. And Elvis is alive, 911 was an inside job...and man never actually walked on the moon.
    That isn't some wild rumour - crackberry's financial relationship with TCl has been publicly disclosed.

Although Mr. Mobile was the only (AFAIK) writer to add disclaimers to his articles to note this relationship.
    06-08-17 05:40 PM
    Exactly.

JerryRigEverything's KEYone video is out...-paid_shills.png
    JeBe4, cribble2k and cgk like this.
    06-08-17 05:41 PM
    I wasn't sure anyone would get the reference.
    Nog was a great character. DS9 ftw
    MikeX74 likes this.
    How is this of any relevance. The person you responded to stated that when a company is paid to promote something, typically they say nice things about it. Have you seen otherwise in your day to day life? Do you think Lebron James only drinks Sprite every day and nothing else because Sprite really is the best drink ever made? Or do you think he got paid to say that and maybe just maybe drinks something else once in a while?
    I didn't have a dollar coin size suction cup but I have one about the size of a quater. I pulled from all around the edges and nothing seems to want to pop up.

Maybe mine has the glue?

JerryRigEverything's KEYone video is out...-screenshot_20170608-154207.jpg
    FF22, PALoeza, footnote and 1 others like this.
    06-08-17 05:43 PM
    i mean yeah what do they think those 1200 phones sitting on a shelf in china are gonna sell themselves.
    L*ugin out loud!!!

Sent from da KEY
    06-08-17 05:44 PM
    this phone is like a chevy. great initial quality only.
    Speak for yourself on the quality of GM vehicles. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with 443,000 miles on the original motor. I changed the transmission at exactly 360,000 miles.
    06-08-17 05:47 PM
    How is this of any relevance. The person you responded to stated that when a company is paid to promote something, typically they say nice things about it. Have you seen otherwise in your day to day life? Do you think Lebron James only drinks Sprite every day and nothing else because Sprite really is the best drink ever made? Or do you think he got paid to say that and maybe just maybe drinks something else once in a while?
    I think that things happen. I don't think it's a big conspiracy most of the time. I used to work for a company that was contracted to Microsoft and as a result we were only able to act on the information they gave us.

It's not a stretch to think that maybe TCL hasn't been truthful on everything. But to imply and outright say that Bla1ze and Kevin are hiding things isn't right either.
    06-08-17 05:47 PM
    Two-sided tape would be enough for normal usage (not bending). But I don't recommend trying to do it yourself. The screen seems to be mounted so poorly that it might never work again if you try to dismantle it for taping.
    I was not planning on doing it myself. I hope that they tackle this issue head on.
    06-08-17 05:48 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out what's keeping the screen in place to begin with. Clips, force, magic? I don't want to return my device, the battery life and keyboard makes me want to keep it. I've also not had any signal issues. With that said, if I hadn't bought it already I would probably not be buying it anytime soon until they announce that they've fixed the issue.
    Your second guess "force" is right. It's held in by the compression force applied to the sides of the screen by the metal frame. The fit would have been designed to tight tolerances so that some force would have been required to fit the screen into place during assembly. The shape of the black plastic bezel between the screen and the frame may also help to hold it place.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-08-17 05:51 PM
    I really tried to read every reply, but gave up half way, lol. Anyway, they did indeed add this video to the main page of CB, so that's a good sign. It sucks that there's no adhesive holding down the screen, think the Q10's screen was actually screwed down? I forgot. Either way, I guess they must have thought the aluminum frame would be rigid enough to hold the screen in. And in most cases it probably would be, but you never know if or when you'll drop the phone just the right way. It's called an accident for a reason, because you didn't plan for it.

I'm going to keep the phone myself. I'm actually pretty careful with my electronics. When I end up selling my phones and cameras after years of use, they usually have zero scratches on the screens. But I'm not going to count on this never becoming a problem in the future. I'm pretty sure that with the negative attention they are getting with the screen debacle that even if it pops off after the warranty period, they would likely repair it for me (or I'll just put screen repair double-sided tape myself since the warranty is done anyway...) anyway just to avoid the bad reputation. Not saying this is a guarantee, so if you're unsure and would rather cancel your order, then not going to argue, it's your prerogative. That's just my own opinion and decision and it's partially because I have experience fixing phones so not worried if I need to do some of it myself in the future. But again, that's just me, I know not everyone is experienced with fixing phones, nor should you, as a consumer, be responsible for that. But there are no alternatives, the KEYone serves my wants and needs in a smartphone the best out of everything out there...

I think the best thing for them to do is offer a voluntary recall for those who would want to send in their KEYones to have this problem fixed since this isn't something that would affect every owner. Many companies have done that with their products, wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary if they did something like that in the near future...
    06-08-17 05:52 PM
    I bet CBK podcast won't talk about the jerryrigeverthing results lol.

Posted via CB10
    I should let them defend themselves but I believe the podcast may have been filmed prior to the youtube video.
    06-08-17 05:53 PM
    Other phones he twists like that *don't* break. Check out the other videos to see how random handsets fare, it's worth watching
    06-08-17 05:55 PM
    First people thought CBK would remain silent on this issue; now they are mad he responded quickly and assume it's just damage control.

Still way too early to know how widespread this issue is. Give Kevin a break here and let's see how this develops. You can bet TCL won't be able to keep quiet about this and we'll probably hear something soon. Until then, relax!

If you want to return your KEYone go right ahead. Nobody is going to stop you. Just be respectful to Kevin and the other KEYone supporters as everyone is still wrapping their head around this. We don't have all the details yet.
    06-08-17 05:56 PM
    Ah, I think I remember, the Q10's screen kind of slid into place in a groove within the frame, it had to slide down which would be blocked by the keyboard, but there was also two small screws that I think went on to hold part of the screen on one side... So it also had no adhesive, but was partially held in by screws and a groove in the frame. I think the KEYone, it's simply the groove in the frame.
    footnote likes this.
    06-08-17 05:56 PM
    Kevin jumping on this so fast smells like damage control more then anything but guess we'll see when the video comes tomorrow.
    He usually ignore and doesn't even read the CB forum lol.
    06-08-17 05:57 PM
555 ... 910111213 ...