Last night I plugged in my K1BE to charge, as I do every night, and - nothing happened. I didn't get the familiar green semi-circle telling me that the phone is charging. The battery icon wasn't animated to show increasing charge.

I pulled out the charger, flipped it over (just in case) and plugged it back in. Still nothing. The screen didn't wake up. I pulled out the charger again and touched the tip. It was quite warm. Then I caught a whiff of that distinct smell of overheating electronics. I put my nose right at the charger port and took a deep breath in. No mistaking it now.

I tried two different chargers and three different cables, all with the same result. The phone still works, but the battery is now at 30%. Is there a way to repair this, or do I have to get a new phone? If it's repairable, can anyone recommend a place in northwest GTA? Woodbridge, Vaughan, Steeles/400 area? That's Toronto, Canada for those who don't recognize the names.
    02-15-19 08:52 AM
    Last night I plugged in my K1BE to charge, as I do every night, and - nothing happened. I didn't get the familiar green semi-circle telling me that the phone is charging. The battery icon wasn't animated to show increasing charge.

I pulled out the charger, flipped it over (just in case) and plugged it back in. Still nothing. The screen didn't wake up. I pulled out the charger again and touched the tip. It was quite warm. Then I caught a whiff of that distinct smell of overheating electronics. I put my nose right at the charger port and took a deep breath in. No mistaking it now.

I tried two different chargers and three different cables, all with the same result. The phone still works, but the battery is now at 30%. Is there a way to repair this, or do I have to get a new phone? If it's repairable, can anyone recommend a place in northwest GTA? Woodbridge, Vaughan, Steeles/400 area? That's Toronto, Canada for those who don't recognize the names.
    I had a bad USB port once on a phone. My local phone shop replaced it for around $50. Good luck finding one in your area.
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    02-15-19 09:10 AM
    Make sure there is nothing inside the USB port on the phone. I have had to pick stuff out of there before (pocket lint, sand, etc). With the smell of burnt electronics, you are probably screwed, but it's worth a try!
    02-15-19 11:08 AM
    my Priv had that same thing and I spent some money to replace the port which worked for a few days... it was the connection block behind the port that fried. I charge it via a QI Stand and use it as a backup...
    02-15-19 12:55 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I took it into a repair shop, and the guy there said that the problem was much more serious than just a bad USB port. He said that the smell indicated not just overheating, but melting.

So I ordered another BE from Amazon, $399 CAD with free same-day delivery. It's on its way to my home, guaranteed to arrive by 9pm. My old phone is at 9% and still receiving calls and emails. I wouldn't be as ticked off about this meltdown if I could learn something from the experience. But I have no idea how to prevent this from happening with the next phone.
    02-15-19 05:14 PM
    If you plug it into a PC does it connect through the USB port to enable file transfer?
    02-16-19 11:40 AM
    If you plug it into a PC does it connect through the USB port to enable file transfer?
    Too late. The phone battery discharged completely overnight, so it's now irrecoverably dead. I may take it in to see if it could be fixed and just keep it as a backup. But I suspect it would be a waste of money and effort. my new BE arrived last night, so I've been busy restoring all my data and settings. It came with the October 2018 security patch, so it must be a fairly recent production run. The keyboard feels better, so it's some consolation for being out $400 and no lesson to learn from it.
    02-16-19 04:05 PM
    Too late. The phone battery discharged completely overnight, so it's now irrecoverably dead. I may take it in to see if it could be fixed and just keep it as a backup. But I suspect it would be a waste of money and effort. my new BE arrived last night, so I've been busy restoring all my data and settings. It came with the October 2018 security patch, so it must be a fairly recent production run. The keyboard feels better, so it's some consolation for being out $400 and no lesson to learn from it.
    Just make sure before you do all that...... get a bright light and a good magnifying glass, and observe the usb connector. I've encountered something as simple as lint build up from your pocketing your phone can block some connectors making recharging impossible. A light touch with a wooden pic or modified qtip stem (remove the cotton and cut it down almost to a point with scissors) can gently remove the lint. Not a specific problem with a BlackBerry phone, but frequency of use, maybe the sharing of space with other contents of your pockets like tissue paper, or clothing fabric shedding, :-)

...otherwise it could be corrosion of the usb contacts inside the phone, but you'd have to look closely (again magnifying glass....or a digital zoomed picture from another cellphone with the correct angle of light may really show the lint or surface corrosion as a problem or not)...

...if you find this is a problem post a close-up photo of the usb interface (before and after would be great!).
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 02-17-19 at 03:14 AM.
    02-17-19 03:03 AM
    I no longer trust the USB since my lovely Priv died of it, I bought a QI receiver and charge my KEYᵒⁿᵉ that way always...
    02-17-19 09:28 AM
    I also experienced a foul burning smell and no charging on my KeyOne. Turns out it was the charging cable that fried, not the KeyOne. So I got lucky on that one. A different cable worked just fine.
    02-18-19 12:41 AM