Hi there,

since I got my Keyone yesterday, I could not manage to improve my typing speed yet. I switched from an Xperia Z5 and the one and only keyboard phone I have ever owned was an Xperia X1. At the moment, it is not that easy for me to get started. By the way on PC I type about ~ 75 words per minute.

One problem is the layout. I always think the shift key was on the far left while it really is on the bottom. Another problem is the typing of special letter like ÄÖÜ which are pretty common in Germany.

I wonder if there is an app that allows me to improve my typing speed. Like the PC programs some kids use to learn typing with 10 fingers. Any idea, please?

Tilman
    05-31-18 02:14 PM
    (Title tweaked for clarity)
    05-31-18 02:39 PM
    It's going to take more then a day. Give it at least 2 weeks if your haven't been on a PKB for a while.
    BigBadWulf and anon(9188202) like this.
    05-31-18 03:50 PM
    practice makes perfect
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-31-18 03:52 PM
    Hi there,

since I got my Keyone yesterday, I could not manage to improve my typing speed yet. I switched from an Xperia Z5 and the one and only keyboard phone I have ever owned was an Xperia X1. At the moment, it is not that easy for me to get started. By the way on PC I type about ~ 75 words per minute.

One problem is the layout. I always think the shift key was on the far left while it really is on the bottom. Another problem is the typing of special letter like ÄÖÜ which are pretty common in Germany.

I wonder if there is an app that allows me to improve my typing speed. Like the PC programs some kids use to learn typing with 10 fingers. Any idea, please?

Tilman
    There are typing apps in the Google store. I had one at one time. It does take a bit of work to learn to actually PRESS down on physical keys.

At for those German umlaut type characters, press and hold on the regular key like A and it will offer those alternative characters.
    MrTilman and anon(9188202) like this.
    05-31-18 04:00 PM
    Good to know. I wouldn't have thought that it will take that long. Thank you!
    05-31-18 04:03 PM
    It's going to take more then a day. Give it at least 2 weeks if your haven't been on a PKB for a while.
    100% agree!
    05-31-18 06:25 PM
    Takes a while. I've been at it for a few months and still don't feel comfortable typing on it.
    Probably need to stop using my Passport completely for it to happen (....from my cold dead thumbs). I use both since I need to carry two devices.
    05-31-18 09:19 PM
    I am wondering if the rumors for the Key2 are true and that there are no metal fretz?

I don't know about other BlackBerry users, but for me the fretz are kind of needed for myself in order to type quickly and accurately. It seems like it's a visual thing and it also helps to prevent my fingers from hitting the surrounding keys.

I was never a big fan of the K1 keyboard from a look perspective but I do hope the performance of the next generation is high. I am coming from

9900, Q10, Classic and Passport SE keyboard. They are all excellent and I can never decide which is my favorite!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-18 04:12 AM
    Good to know. I wouldn't have thought that it will take that long. Thank you!
    You expected to be a touch typist on the smartphone? With a few says practise your thumb typing speed should approach at least 20 words per minute, probably much higher once you adapt to the physical keyboard and leverage autocompletion swiping. Practise is the only way to improve but it takes a short amount of time.
    06-01-18 05:08 AM
    practice makes perfect
    You need more practice.
    06-01-18 05:28 AM
    You expected to be a touch typist on the smartphone? With a few says practise your thumb typing speed should approach at least 20 words per minute, probably much higher once you adapt to the physical keyboard and leverage autocompletion swiping. Practise is the only way to improve but it takes a short amount of time.
    I zeroed in on that phrase. If you are talking about swiping upward on the physical keyboard under the offered word - I seem to have lost my Swiping. I can now only tap on the offered word to select it. Swiping on the physical key up toward one of the three offered words does not seem to work. I think that I've looked at all settings but can't get that behavior back.
    06-01-18 09:01 AM
    I zeroed in on that phrase. If you are talking about swiping upward on the physical keyboard under the offered word - I seem to have lost my Swiping. I can now only tap on the offered word to select it. Swiping on the physical key up toward one of the three offered words does not seem to work. I think that I've looked at all settings but can't get that behavior back.
    Settings -> Language & Input -> Physical Keyboard -> toggle Physical keyboard gestures

You're welcome
    FF22 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    06-01-18 11:59 AM
    Settings -> Language & Input -> Physical Keyboard -> toggle Physical keyboard gestures

You're welcome
    Thanks. I am pretty sure that I had tweaked that and still had issues. Actually, when I swiped left to erase the last word, I got erratic character strings added rather then erasing the prior word. So something was fouled up.

I backed out of Keyboard versions and went back to the original app but that did not fix it. Earlier yesterday I installed the latest Keyboard version but forgot to reset that setting. Thanks for spurring me back into settings. It appears to be working for the moment.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-01-18 11:26 PM
    I got pretty speedy on my Passport, downhill going to the PRIV and KEYᵒⁿᵉ ...it iz wat it iz
    jope28 likes this.
    06-03-18 03:22 PM
    Hi there,

Tilman
    I too went from Xperia Z5 Compact to KEYᵒⁿᵉ, and with a similar typing speed on a computer keyboard. I touch type normally and also found it frustrating at first.

Two months in and on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ I'm now at around 40 words per minute which is acceptable to me.

I think you will find that you improve with time. You may be slightly slower, but probably more accurate that with a virtual keyboard.

For the special characters another option is to use word replace options; e.g to write KEYᵒⁿᵉ I actually only type kk and it autocorrects to my preferred word.
    06-04-18 05:30 AM

You're welcome
    Thanks. I had turned turned that setting off not long after I got the KEYone, because I kept accidentally swiping across the keys while moving to the next key. This was giving me all kinds of fits with generating or erasing random words as I was typing. I have been wanting to turn it back on to try again but couldn't find the setting again.
    06-04-18 08:07 AM
    Thanks. I had turned turned that setting off not long after I got the KEYone, because I kept accidentally swiping across the keys while moving to the next key. This was giving me all kinds of fits with generating or erasing random words as I was typing. I have been wanting to turn it back on to try again but couldn't find the setting again.
    Maybe with an update they could extend the options so that the user can choose which gestures he/she wants or doesnt want.

So instead of 1 toggle for gestures altogether, we'd get a toggle for swipe back to delete, and another for swipe up to autocomplete.
    06-04-18 08:51 AM
    Hi there,

Tilman
    I find it more convenient to long press on a letter in order to capitalize it. For umlauts and other special characters, you should spend the time setting up word substitutions - I only have to deal with apostrophes, but I still have every possible don't, would've and should've set up to put in the apostrophe automatically. Word substitutions are under Settings > Language and Input.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-04-18 09:35 AM
    You were absolutely right.

Right now I am at ~40 words per minute. So it's definitely getting better.

Thanks again.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-06-18 05:50 PM