I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Android phones 'betray' user location to Google - Android phones 'betray' user location to Google - BBC News
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    11-22-17 10:52 AM
    As I noted in another thread...

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...otion-1131475/

Do you feel the same way about your carrier? I ask because that's the data Google used. They tapped into data that already exists that you have no control over. Sure, they shouldn't have done it but honestly, it means nothing for BB security. It's being done anyway and Google has now taken steps to disable it on their end... meanwhile, your carrier is still doing it. In fact, they're pretty much legally required to.
    Google has been collecting Android users' cell tower location, but why?

Also, why the BBC always so dramatic?
    11-22-17 11:03 AM
    I know if I shared this on facebook, I have a few Android fanboy friends who would denfend anything and everything Android no matter what, lol. Something it lacks? "You don't need that!" Something it does that's not the best way? "Oh, that's actually better than if it worked the other way!" All of the excuses are actually quite funny, lol.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-22-17 11:37 AM
    I know if I shared this on facebook, I have a few Android fanboys who would denfend anything and everything Android no matter what, lol. Something it lacks? "You don't need that!" Something it does that's not the best way? "Oh, that's actually better than if it worked the other way!" All of the excuses are actually quite funny, lol.
    Have you read many of the threads here?
    wentouch likes this.
    11-22-17 11:39 AM
    Have you read many of the threads here?
    Lol, yes, the BlackBerry fanboys. But this article is about Android, lol.
    11-22-17 11:48 AM
    By quoting someone?
    11-22-17 12:41 PM
    Pretty sure you can disable it in the settings?
    11-22-17 12:49 PM
    I switched to Waze from Google Maps because DTEK reported that Maps was frequently accessing my location even though I did not have the app open or in use. Unfortunately, DTEK does not track activity from Google Play Services.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    11-22-17 02:39 PM
    I switched to Waze from Google Maps because DTEK reported that Maps was frequently accessing my location even though I did not have the app open or in use. Unfortunately, DTEK does not track activity from Google Play Services.
    I don’t know how seriously you can take the DTEK reports. Waze is owned by Google and depends on position reports from users to work.

I played around with DTEK a bit with apps I know well. I think it’s too inaccurate to be of any real value.
    FF22 and anon(8679041) like this.
    11-22-17 03:46 PM
    Traffic for google maps is figured out by peoples movement.
    11-22-17 07:49 PM
    i thought that is common knowledge... you trade off your data for free stuff... (geotag provide better ads, big data collection, etc.,). many others collect that too, including Uber (frequency to attending the mall for shopping might indicated the eco boom, potentially, housing price increase in the area, or job seeker shortage, etc.etc. Few of Chinese apps are great for that in far east).
    11-23-17 12:18 PM