I used to exercise with my Q10 and could only ever get a few radio stations to come in that I liked. I hurt my leg last fall and haven't been active since I got my K1. Today, I went out for a brisk walk. Using the same headphones (so the same antenna as my Q10), I was able to get many more stations that sounded great. So, whatever internals interpret the signal seem much improved.
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 01-21-18 at 07:12 PM.
    01-21-18 03:30 PM
    I agree. It may be boring and retro to have a portable FM player in 2018, but I really value it, especially while attending baseball games. Via MLB streaming the delay can be as long as 30 seconds, which makes much of thes that the commentary is often made irrelevant by events before you've even heard it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-21-18 03:39 PM
    That pretty cool.
    01-21-18 03:39 PM
    TuneIn Radio is a great app for thousands of radio stations worldwide. Obviates the need for a Sirius or XM subscription in many cases.
    01-21-18 06:08 PM
    TuneIn Radio is a great app for thousands of radio stations worldwide. Obviates the need for a Sirius or XM subscription in many cases.
    Does TuneIn have all of your local FM stations available? Probably not.
    01-21-18 06:45 PM
    Does TuneIn have all of your local FM stations available? Probably not.
    Yes
    01-21-18 07:13 PM
    I have a Sirius subscription and forgot about the radio.

Used it yesterday and it works great.

But to be honest, I need my Howard Stern fix and radio doesn't have him so back to Sirius.
    01-21-18 07:26 PM
    Yes
    And they all play in real time? And when you are not connected to WiFi there is no use of data to listen to TuneIn?
    Last edited by yamahammer; 01-21-18 at 08:57 PM.
    01-21-18 07:42 PM
    The great thing about FM radio is that it doesn't use data and is very energy efficient. You can turn off cell and WiFi to listen. Also works for disasters or emergencies.
    yamahammer, FF22 and megafan2000 like this.
    01-21-18 10:46 PM
    The great thing about FM radio is that it doesn't use data and is very energy efficient. You can turn off cell and WiFi to listen. Also works for disasters or emergencies.
    Exactly. Why phones disable the chip is beyond me because of basic safety. If and when the cell network goes down - if FM is still broadcasting, I will continue to receive my emergency updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-22-18 05:18 PM
    Exactly. Why phones disable the chip is beyond me because of basic safety. If and when the cell network goes down - if FM is still broadcasting, I will continue to receive my emergency updates.
    Because if turned off, you'll use a streaming app to use data maybe?
    01-22-18 05:27 PM
    Oh I know WHY they do it. I get that lots of people nowadays will stream nowadays anyway and will never use it. It should still be on the phone regardless, even if BlackBerry/Samsung/Apple/LG/Sony/whoever don't openly advertise it as a feature.
    01-22-18 06:12 PM
    Oh I know WHY they do it. I get that lots of people nowadays will stream nowadays anyway and will never use it. It should still be on the phone regardless, even if BlackBerry/Samsung/Apple/LG/Sony/whoever don't openly advertise it as a feature.
    This is one of those times that the FCC should step in. Most phones (except for Apple's) have FM available, and there should be a requirement to enable them.

It's an issue of national security in disaster situations, so it's worth a little nudge from regulators.

Emaderton3 likes this.
    01-22-18 06:20 PM
    This is one of those times that the FCC should step in. Most phones (except for Apple's) have FM available, and there should be a requirement to enable them.

It's an issue of national security in disaster situations, so it's worth a little nudge from regulators.

I came across this site a year or so ago.

Free Radio on My Phone

Supposedly the carriers are starting to comply to unlock the chips. Like I said sure most people will never use the radio app but disabling it just so we would use our data is not safe. In a city like New York where I work, it's nice knowing when the cell signals go down I at least have a chance of them keeping me appraised of what's going on after telling me to get the hell out of dodge once the zombie apocalypse hits.

I used it all the time on my unlocked Classic. When I switched to a Priv, when I noticed it didn't have it, I still brought my Classic along hoping that an update would give us the radio app (that's what happened with my Curve years back). Now that I'm on KEYone, happy to not have to carry 2 devices.
    Last edited by megafan2000; 01-22-18 at 06:56 PM.
    01-22-18 06:38 PM
    I came across this site a year or so ago.

Free Radio on My Phone

Supposedly the carriers are starting to comply to unlock the chips. Like I said sure most people will never use the radio app but disabling it just so we could use our data is not safe. In a city like New York where I work, it's nice knowing when the cell signals go down I at least have a chance of them keeping me appraised of what's going on after telling me to get the hell out of dodge once the zombie apocalypse hits.

I used it all the time on my unlocked Classic. When I switched to a Priv, when I noticed it didn't have it, I still brought my Classic along hoping that an update would give us the radio app (that's what happened with my Curve years back). Now that I'm on KEYone, happy to not have to carry 2 devices.
    I guess that means you need to carry headphones at all times!
    01-22-18 06:54 PM
    I guess that means you need to carry headphones at all times!
    LOL I usually have at least a pair of buds and a pair of full sized cans with me. I can't remember the last time I didn't have headphones with my phone.

01-22-18 07:02 PM