After my latest exchange with BlackBerry Mobile support I've committed to packing it in. It's about 6 months after I received my KEYone. I have ordered a OnePlus 6T (dual SIM, directly from OnePlus) and it should arrive in a couple of days. I will be posting the KEYone to ebay before the next weekend.

When I asked BBMo support (via the Support Center app) why my device, an unlocked Black Edition for North America (BBB100-1 / PRD 63116-039) had not received any further updates since August, despite the fact that Google has dutifully published security updates every single month, this is how it went down:

BlackBerry Mobile Support:

Thank you for getting back to us and for providing with the requested information, according to your device's PRD number, ABD796 is the latest build available for this model, updates are sent according to the need, region and carrier, your device is up to date at this moment.
    Now, of course, we know this is 100% untrue. If there are Android security patches available and they have not been pushed to the device that means it is not "up to date" outside of BBMo stating that it's up-to-date for their purposes. Once again, I direct everyone to the BlackBerry Mobile website which states:

The commitment to security is ongoing.

BlackBerry KEYone will consistently receive monthly Android security updates ensuring your device remains secure for a minimum of 24 months. Many smartphones put the organization and user’s data at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates. We are committed to making BlackBerry KEYone one of the quickest to deliver security patches. Other mobile device vendors can take weeks or months to deliver security patches, leaving your organization vulnerable and at risk.
    That quote is located in BlackBerry Mobile's pitch to win over businesses:

https://blackberrymobile.com/us/business/

To be clear, monthly updates is not a special feature of some enterprise product, it's a feature inherent to the general product itself.

My response to support:

So what you are stating is that this is not "the most secure mobile device" because BlackBerry Mobile does not provide the monthly security updates that it promises to supply even though Google does publish these security updates. According to my phone, I have not received the August, September, or October security updates and BlackBerry has failed to produce them. Furthermore, I have not received any further bug fix updates since receiving the Oreo update in August. Other devices are at least on ABI087. Why hasn't that image been released for my device?
    No further comment from BlackBerry Mobile. To think, I was such a fan of this phone when I first got it... I just cannot support a company that lies to consumers. This is clearly a case of false advertising.
    11-12-18 01:07 PM
    Keyboard's really the only thing going for BBMo at this point... if that's not enough to keep you, then you made the best decision for "you".
    Bbfan1614 likes this.
    11-12-18 01:30 PM
    A BlackBerry Android device (even on Aug patch) is more secure than a vanilla Android device on the current patch. But ok. Do what you gotta do.
    http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf

Also: /general-blackberry-news-discussion-rumors-f2/switching-blackberry-another-device-say-your-goodbyes-here-please-dont-start-new-thread-260887/
    11-12-18 01:44 PM
    Keyboard's really the only thing going for BBMo at this point... if that's not enough to keep you, then you made the best decision for "you".
    The question is whether the keyboard is enough to outweigh the rest of the phone/TCL.
    11-12-18 01:44 PM
    After my latest exchange with BlackBerry Mobile support I've committed to packing it in. It's about 6 months after I received my KEYone. I have ordered a OnePlus 6T (dual SIM, directly from OnePlus) and it should arrive in a couple of days. I will be posting the KEYone to ebay before the next weekend.

When I asked BBMo support (via the Support Center app) why my device, an unlocked Black Edition for North America (BBB100-1 / PRD 63116-039) had not received any further updates since August, despite the fact that Google has dutifully published security updates every single month, this is how it went down:

BlackBerry Mobile Support:

Now, of course, we know this is 100% untrue. If there are Android security patches available and they have not been pushed to the device that means it is not "up to date" outside of BBMo stating that it's up-to-date for their purposes. Once again, I direct everyone to the BlackBerry Mobile website which states:

That quote is located in BlackBerry Mobile's pitch to win over businesses:

https://blackberrymobile.com/us/business/

To be clear, monthly updates is not a special feature of some enterprise product, it's a feature inherent to the general product itself.

My response to support:

No further comment from BlackBerry Mobile. To think, I was such a fan of this phone when I first got it... I just cannot support a company that lies to consumers. This is clearly a case of false advertising.
    I'm also debating if I should just move on from BlackBerry Mobile too, I'm in the same boat, I have an unlocked Black Edition (BBB100-1 / PRD 63116-039), but still stuck on ABD796.
    11-12-18 03:08 PM
    I hope, BlackBarry cancels the contract with TCL and switches to Nokia. Maybe then I will buy another BlackBerry device -but no more TCL !!!
    11-12-18 03:33 PM
    I hope, BlackBarry cancels the contract with TCL and switches to Nokia. Maybe then I will buy another BlackBerry device -but no more TCL !!!
    That would assume Nokia is interested in making a phone using BlackBerry Android software and not the other way around.
    11-12-18 03:35 PM
    What would Nokia do differently?

You have it backwards though. Someone needs to approach BlackBerry.
    11-12-18 03:37 PM
    Since both, BlackBerry and Nokia, squashed their lawsuit I am pretty sure, they start to cooperate and team up. And I think this is the reason why TCL shows this behavior. Let's wait and see.
    11-12-18 03:48 PM
    Since both, BlackBerry and Nokia, squashed their lawsuit I am pretty sure, they start to cooperate and team up. And I think this is the reason why TCL shows this behavior. Let's wait and see.
    Yes because Nokia sees how much money TCL is making on their BlackBerry phones
    11-12-18 04:11 PM
    What would Nokia do differently?

You have it backwards though. Someone needs to approach BlackBerry.
    Well, at least they send for real the monthly security patches, at least here in Europe.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-18 04:25 PM
    Well, at least they send for real the monthly security patches, at least here in Europe.

Posted via CB10
    Nokia is using Android One. Passing Google patches on is almost trivial.

How can you even compare that to this:

http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf
    Last edited by conite; 11-12-18 at 05:02 PM.
    11-12-18 04:52 PM
    At the end of the day, typing on an up-to-date piece of glass still feels like typing on glass
    elfabio80 and Dve3-Fl like this.
    11-12-18 05:23 PM
    For the record, I got my update on Nov. 6. Unlocked silver edition. Plus there is, as has been mentioned above, more to the security than the patches. I have no worries about the security of my device.
    Dve3-Fl likes this.
    11-12-18 05:35 PM