I find my Priv gets very slow with multiple apps open, especially the snapchat+hub + youtube. Never have issues like this on my passport.

So if they don't put the high end chip in the Mercury, will it be as slow/slower then the Priv?

Everything I've seen heard about the DTEK60 and iPhone7 seem extremely fast. Really hoping for that same user experience!

Posted via CB10

Edit: I mean 625.
    02-07-17 03:51 PM
    Look at Asus Zenfone 3 or Moto Z Play reviews. Seems snappy to me.

Key is this:

"Driving the handset is the Snapdragon 625. Modest as it may be, as already made clear in the battery section of the review, its efficient 14nm production process yields a major advantage to battery life."

DTEK60 / Z30
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-07-17 04:02 PM
    I was looking into this just yesterday and it seems if you multitask it can stutter (according to Tech Radar) but I'd say you'd get comparable if not better performance than Priv.

It won't be highest end, but it won't be bad either. And if the value is right, I'd go for it
    02-07-17 04:21 PM
    It wont lag and stutter like the Priv, because it's got no qHD screen. Wise decision by BlackBerry.

If they even disable device encryption by default and make it optional it'll be even snappier.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    02-08-17 01:43 AM
    Just relax, this is part of a review of the Moto Play Z (from The Verge):

Inside the Moto Z Play is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 625 processor. It’s not the Snapdragon 820 used in top-tier smartphones — and it benchmarks accordingly. But in day to day use, it’s extremely difficult to pinpoint any performance issues. The Moto Z Play does just about everything briskly without noticeable hiccups. This is a dramatic difference from the Snapdragon 617 processor used in other midrange devices like the Moto G4 and BlackBerry’s DTEK50, where lag can become a frequent source of frustration.
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-08-17 06:32 AM
    Not as "premium" as the Snapdragon 800 series, the 600 series is still snappy in everyday uses, Qualcomm boasts its high speed browsing and loading capabilities, unless you play hardcore high-memory consuming games. Plus it's also designed to be power efficient. So for me, the Merc ia definitely a buy.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 06:40 AM
    Its going to be a 625, not a 621.
    02-08-17 06:48 AM
    02-08-17 06:50 AM
    The 625 is fine. I really don't think we need to be concerned. Will it be faster than the Priv? Well on paper the Priv has a more powerful processor but seeing as the 625 has to push less pixels and it's a newer processor built on a 14nm architecture It could perform better. Especially with battery life.

My mom has a Galaxy J5 (2016/2017) I think, with a SnapDragon 410 processor. The phone works just fine. so I think we can put this to bed and wait till we get some review units and then test performance

We all want it to be great. ^_^

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-08-17 07:07 AM
    The 625 is fine. I really don't think we need to be concerned. Will it be faster than the Priv? Well on paper the Priv has a more powerful processor but seeing as the 625 has to push less pixels and it's a newer processor built on a 14nm architecture It could perform better. Especially with battery life.

My mom has a Galaxy J5 (2016/2017) I think, with a SnapDragon 410 processor. The phone works just fine. so I think we can put this to bed and wait till we get some review units and then test performance

We all want it to be great. ^_^

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    100% agreed
    02-08-17 07:44 AM
    Anyone know what the pixel density is on the Mercury?
    02-08-17 07:55 AM
    Anyone know what the pixel density is on the Mercury?
    432dpi
    02-08-17 08:31 AM
    If they even disable device encryption by default and make it optional it'll be even snappier.
    Some "secure" smartphone that would be. If they really cared about squeezing performance out of the Mercury they wouldn't have put a 625 in it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Carjackd like this.
    02-08-17 09:44 AM
    432dpi
    Thanks Conite. A bit of a downgrade from the PRIV perhaps but hopefully not too noticeable.
    02-08-17 11:37 AM
    So I am headed to China for a few weeks (Leaving this Saturday!), and I wanted to buy a phone that works internationally with a dual sim. So I ended up purchasing a Le Eco Le S3. It has the 652 chip set. I really expected it to be a dud. The camera specs were solid though at $129. So I took a (small) risk. I LOVE this phone. Sure the android skin is terrible, but nothing a good launcher can't fix. The phone is SO snappy. I was playing Final Fantasy on it with almost no lag (FF7). According to current benchmarks the 625 is a bit faster despite the lower number. So as long as the software takes advantage, the 625 chip is gonna be perfect for a work device. PS Battery life on the Le Eco le S3 is beyond amazing, which is in part to the chip and the manufacturers aggressive battery management.
    02-08-17 11:53 AM
    Thanks Conite. A bit of a downgrade from the PRIV perhaps but hopefully not too noticeable.
    It's a tricky number though. The Priv and the dtek60 have the same resolution screen but because the dtek60 is 0.1 inches larger its DPI goes down. Would you construe that as a downgrade of the screen?
    02-08-17 11:55 AM
    It's a tricky number though. The Priv and the dtek60 have the same resolution screen but because the dtek60 is 0.1 inches larger its DPI goes down. Would you construe that as a downgrade of the screen?
    You mean Mercury, not DTEK60. Mercury doesn't have same resolution as Priv.
    02-08-17 02:50 PM
    You mean Mercury, not DTEK60. Mercury doesn't have same resolution as Priv.
    No. I'm comparing the Priv to the DTEK60 as an example.
    02-08-17 02:51 PM
    I tried snapdragon 821, kirin 950, exnynos and kirin 950 is probably the best band for bucks. I wish mercury had kirin 950. You can cut the cost and gain the performance by choosing kirin 950 chipset.
    02-08-17 03:05 PM
    Reducing the pixel density by +/-20% which is what the Mercury is apparently doing might be a bit more noticeable, lol. That was the main reason I went from a Q10 to a Classic to a Passport to a PRIV. Even with a pkb, screen quality is still important.
    02-08-17 03:09 PM
    I tried snapdragon 821, kirin 950, exnynos and kirin 950 is probably the best band for bucks. I wish mercury had kirin 950. You can cut the cost and gain the performance by choosing kirin 950 chipset.
    The issue with Exynos/Kirin is that they are wholly owned by Samsung/Huawei, so manufacturing would either have to be done by them, or some sort of deal would have to be reached (cf. Meizu in China using Exynos chips). As onerous as Qualcomm's stipulations are (hence the myriad lawsuits against them) the chips are available to more than one OEM at a time.
    krazyatom likes this.
    02-08-17 03:11 PM
    Reducing the pixel density by +/-20% which is what the Mercury is apparently doing might be a bit more noticeable, lol. That was the main reason I went from a Q10 to a Classic to a Passport to a PRIV. Even with a pkb, screen quality is still important.
    It's pretty hard to justify anything higher than 1620x1080 for a device that needs to be a battery powerhouse. I think it will be nice. TCL did a good job with the similar dpi screen of the DTEK50.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    02-08-17 03:24 PM
    It's pretty hard to justify anything higher than 1620x1080 for a device that needs to be a battery powerhouse. I think it will be nice. TCL did a good job with the similar dpi screen of the DTEK50.
    I hope so. Not that I will need an excuse to buy one anyway, lol. I can live with a slightly smaller (good quality) screen if it saves me the time of flipping it up when I need the keyboard. I just hope the lower resolution isn't too noticeable.
    02-08-17 03:36 PM
    I hope so. Not that I will need an excuse to buy one anyway, lol. I can live with a slightly smaller (good quality) screen if it saves me the time of flipping it up when I need the keyboard. I just hope the lower resolution isn't too noticeable.
    If 1080 vertical pixels would work on a 40" tv, it'll look fine on your 4.6" screen...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-08-17 04:20 PM
    If 1080 vertical pixels would work on a 40" tv, it'll look fine on your 4.6" screen...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Ha ha, lol. But not all screens look the same either, even when they are supposed to be comparable in specs. Some of us can tell the difference. I didn't find Conite's comparison to the DTEK50 too reassuring because I've compared that display directly with the one on my PRIV and I can definitely say it's not as good and I wouldn't switch to a DTEK50 even if it meant a few more hours of battery (which, ironically it doesn't provide anyway lol)
    buwee likes this.
    02-08-17 04:26 PM
35 12