Hi

would like to share some thoughts and not sure if I'm right or quite stupid.

Based in Switzerland and actually one local online shop is running a special sale - the K1 BE for 199,- Swiss Francs (+/- 200 USD) and I'm thinking in buying one to keep it as replacement for somewhen in future in case my beloved and actually one and a half year old K1 BE might broke down for what ever reason.

I'm absolutely happy with the K1BE and did not see the need to upgrade e.g. to a K2.

What do you think - stupid idea or worth thinking?

In addition, how can I handle such a replacement mobile. Power off and charging once a month? Is anyone here running a similar idea?

Any thoughts welcome?
    best
    Steve
    01-07-19 02:38 PM
    I did the same with a Bronze edition.

I prefer K1 to K2 versions.

With the price you are showing and without the need of having the latest, why not?

Regards
    01-07-19 04:04 PM
    Hi chenized

thanks - funny to read. How did you store your second one and did you charge?
    01-07-19 09:42 PM
    Hi

Based in Switzerland and actually one local online shop is running a special sale - the K1 BE for 199,- Swiss Francs (+/- 200 USD) and I'm thinking in buying one to keep it as replacement for somewhen in future in case my beloved and actually one and a half year old K1 BE might broke down for what ever reason.

I'm absolutely happy with the K1BE and did not see the need to upgrade e.g. to a K2.

In addition, how can I handle such a replacement mobile. Power off and charging once a month? Is anyone here running a similar idea?

Any thoughts welcome?
    best
    Steve
    I can't imagine planning to use K1 in distant future. 6GB memory has huge benefit in K2.

For charging, the battery holds one month when WiFi and data turned off, only Sim card present and accounts sync is off. I am using K1 just to occasional reading of text messages in roaming as currently living abroad and it really goes 30 days without charge. I would not be worried about the battery, you can keep the phone off and wake it up once in a few months as part of a drill. The phones are lying around in warehouses for months before they are getting charged on daily basis.
    01-07-19 10:35 PM
    Hi

Any thoughts welcome?
    best
    Steve
    If you are happy with the Key One and are sure you don't want to upgrade, then yes buy it given the offer. One consideration would be that we live in an ever evolving world and technology is moving so fast. It may mean that when you do come to use it, it is so outdated that you may feel it wasnt such a great idea as perhaps for the same money you could have purchased a more recent Blackberry device.

Ah but what the heck buy it and at the very worst you could end up with a brand new pristine museum quality device!! ๐Ÿ˜
    Last edited by Amaroni; 01-08-19 at 01:22 AM.
    01-07-19 11:33 PM
    thanks to all for your feedback - the sale is running until 21 January, thus plenty of time to think about the pros and cons. fully with the majority here, that I might buy an outdated K1 coming into force lets say in one or two years if I expect an average age for the old one of lets say up to three years.

I'm not the social media guy, sending and receiving mails, sms, whats app and seldom going online for a couple of apps are my major use. Blackberry as they have a physical keyboard I'm more than happy with it. K1 with 4GB Ram should be enough for all above, Oreo is running smooth... price looks ok to me....whats else... but finally can not decide yet...

will think a few more days.
    01-08-19 12:30 PM
    The main question is whether you'll be comfortable using the device once security patches stop sometime in 2020 (estimated). The other question is how long it will be before app developers require P or later for their apps. If you're comfortable with those issues, and really prefer the KEYone to the KEY2, then I would say go for it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-08-19 01:57 PM
    So, the next question for our contestants on the reality show, "What Do I Do, What DO I DO?" is "Should I buy Forever stamps as an investment strategy?"
    01-08-19 03:28 PM
    the K1 BE for 199,- Swiss Francs (+/- 200 USD) and I'm thinking in buying one to keep it as replacement for somewhen in future
    Buying a new phone is only a good deal if one intends to use it in the very near future.

Essentially you are paying to keep a phone on the shelf. When the time comes to replace your K1, that same 199 Francs would buy you a phone with better specs, a longer warranty, fresh battery, more security updates, and an upgraded OS.
    01-09-19 01:39 PM
    Buying a new phone is only a good deal if one intends to use it in the very near future.

Essentially you are paying to keep a phone on the shelf. When the time comes to replace your K1, that same 199 Francs would buy you a phone with better specs, a longer warranty, fresh battery, more security updates, and an upgraded OS.
    Yes but it won't be a Key one ....๐Ÿ˜
    01-09-19 02:45 PM
    Yes buying a phone to store is pointless.. You can buy one later cheaper if needed.
    01-09-19 05:57 PM
    again thanks to all replies.

come finally to decision not to buy a second K1 yet - understood a couple of arguments, but however will wait and in case the regular K1 become outdated and stores sell their last items maybe I can made a lucky cheap buy otherwise will check the current market
    01-09-19 09:57 PM
    I was planning on doing the same thing but decided to wait either till my K1 quits on me or they release another BB phone I prefer over the K1, and the K2 LE isn't it. No point in storing the phone when 6 months from now I can get it cheaper
    01-10-19 12:07 PM
    I wouldn't buy it too. If you need a replacement in the future you will get another one but I think you can get then a newer device with updated OS and fresh battery as already written.
    And if the time comes I think you will take at least a Key2 for that money.
    01-12-19 05:22 AM