It might be interesting to see if someone tried selling upgrade packages - sort of like warranty packages - where the price paid for a phone depended on how long you wanted upgrades for. The last I knew - people were keeping their phones longer and this would fill a need. It would also allow the factories to make more money on phones that would not be replaced as frequently in the past anyways. Win - win for everyone you would think but I am sure someone has run the numbers and didn't work.
    Google is doing it for free.... how do you charge for something that others do for free?

Sad thing is the "cost" for updates and upgrades should have been built-in the devices, so in a way users have already paid for two years of patches and at least on upgrade.
    12-30-19 09:16 AM
    the question still remains: is a TCL/ BlackBerry KeyOne (or 2) truly the most secure mobile device out there?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-30-19 10:26 AM
    the question still remains: is a TCL/ BlackBerry KeyOne (or 2) truly the most secure mobile device out there?
    Let's say you just bought a home, and the realtor, construction company and locksmith had the keys to your new home, and you had to ask their permission to access your new home, is it secure?

"Most Secure" is a sales pitch, especially with consumer electronics. If you (in general) have to trust another entity to provide something that you yourself cannot absolutely verify, then the idea of security is not secure. BlackBerry activated software locks that the Linux kernel already had baked in. DTEK is fallible, if it's not constantly updated - malware has a better update schedule. A lot of ignorance and misinformation about operating systems, put the average user in a "sky is falling" situation, that manufacturers prey on. You (in general again) can read all the well written brochures, etc., but if you can't say "and here, I have the key that locks and unlocks the system, that I chiseled myself" , there's a vulnerability.
    12-30-19 10:46 AM
    The real question... Is was it ever the most secure mobile device?

I'm not sure about Google own special security chips in the Pixel phones, but I think KNOX was just as secure as BlackBerry's Android Secure.

But with all Android devices I think each update offers better protection so the KEYone and KEY2 are behind already as they aren't running Android 9 muchless Android 10. Security Patches are another factor (by BlackBerry's own statements). So at this point the KEYone isn't really even a factor. KEY2, is as secure as it's last update makes it.

And that's if you ignore that most in enterprise view iOS as more secure than any Android....
    12-30-19 11:05 AM
    Who does have the longest support for an an android device?
    The Phone with the longest on going support is the Essential Ph-1 device. August 2017 - ongoing. It's received 3 major OS updates and monthly security updates
    01-10-20 05:13 PM
    The Phone with the longest on going support is the Essential Ph-1 device. August 2017 - ongoing. It's received 3 major OS updates and monthly security updates
    Nope. Samsung, Google, and OnePlus all have that beat.
    01-10-20 05:55 PM
    Nope. Samsung, Google, and OnePlus all have that beat.
    Ok, name the phones these companies have actually supported like Essential has with 3 major OS updates and monthly security updates besides Google.
    01-10-20 06:42 PM
    The S7 is only on the quarterly update schedule until the spring or summer.
    01-10-20 07:59 PM
    The real question... Is was it ever the most secure mobile device?

I'm not sure about Google own special security chips in the Pixel phones, but I think KNOX was just as secure as BlackBerry's Android Secure.

But with all Android devices I think each update offers better protection so the KEYone and KEY2 are behind already as they aren't running Android 9 muchless Android 10. Security Patches are another factor (by BlackBerry's own statements). So at this point the KEYone isn't really even a factor. KEY2, is as secure as it's last update makes it.

And that's if you ignore that most in enterprise view iOS as more secure than any Android....
    Yes. BlackBerry devices were. I believe is the most correct answer.
    01-10-20 09:07 PM
    Ok, name the phones these companies have actually supported like Essential has with 3 major OS updates and monthly security updates besides Google.
    Off the top of my head OnePlus has a guaranteed 36 month support cycle and the 3/3t released in 2016 has 4 upgrades. They just issued the last one for for the 3/3t making it supported for longer than 36 months. And as far as "ongoing" is concerned, there's a good many manufacturers supporting older devices. Just because it's not monthly doesn't mean it's not happening, although I really wouldn't want to be stuck with one of those. If you're truly curious take a look at the rest yourself - took me 20 seconds to find this: https://www.aosmark.com/
    01-11-20 02:31 AM
35 12