I would be willing to pay $50 a year if Blackberry Mobile would continue security updates to its older Android phones. I have a Note 8 that is going to get close to it EOL. I would go back to my Black Edition KeyOne if dreams come true. It's XMas....I had to get this wish out. Besides at this point asking for a Key3 is just about as far fetched.
    12-25-19 06:39 AM
    I would be willing to pay $50 a year if Blackberry Mobile would continue security updates to its older Android phones. I have a Note 8 that is going to get close to it EOL. I would go back to my Black Edition KeyOne if dreams come true. It's XMas....I had to get this wish out. Besides at this point asking for a Key3 is just about as far fetched.
    Don’t think it’s quite enough
    12-25-19 07:39 AM
    it's EOL
    12-25-19 09:31 AM
    Sorry!
    Both of your wishes will not happen
    12-25-19 10:26 AM
    How about $500/yr ?

And can you find 10k other people willing to do the same?
    12-25-19 11:10 AM
    If dream did come true, i'd be a Billionaire by now.....
    12-25-19 11:37 AM
    What about the KeyOne is unusable without a security patch or an OS update?
    12-25-19 01:16 PM
    This thread reminds me the first dramatic couple of years after Blackberry abandoned 10os. At that time 10os users were suggesting various amounts of monthly payments for basic support - browser, security patches, etc. It's really sad such proposals start to emerge for what was supposed to be something like the continuation of BlackBerry in the handset sector.
    12-25-19 04:34 PM
    This thread reminds me the first dramatic couple of years after Blackberry abandoned 10os. At that time 10os users were suggesting various amounts of monthly payments for basic support - browser, security patches, etc. It's really sad such proposals start to emerge for what was supposed to be something like the continuation of BlackBerry in the handset sector.
    But it's not enough for to even consider from a financial perspective.
    12-25-19 05:59 PM
    But it's not enough for to even consider from a financial perspective.
    No doubt about that. I am just saying it's sad and that it can be considered as a forerunner of the final chapter of bb devices (or of handsets with keyboard and bb logo on them...)
    12-26-19 10:58 AM
    No doubt about that. I am just saying it's sad and that it can be considered as a forerunner of the final chapter of bb devices (or of handsets with keyboard and bb logo on them...)
    Perhaps the new Cylance acquisition will be fruitful with Android and be available to BlackBerry Android users through the HUB Suite and secure the devices irrespective of Android OS version for years to come? 😎
    Sigewif likes this.
    12-28-19 12:29 PM
    Perhaps the new Cylance acquisition will be fruitful with Android and be available to BlackBerry Android users through the HUB Suite and secure the devices irrespective of Android OS version for years to come? 😎
    Perhaps... I do try to think positive as well. Indeed something good may come up from this acquisition. I have installed HUB on my secondary device though and I would argue that it still needs quite some work to achieve the level of quality someone would expect from a software oriented company or simply from blackberry. Well... time will tell...
    12-29-19 01:07 AM
    Who does have the longest support for an an android device?
    12-29-19 08:17 AM
    Who does have the longest support for an an android device?
    Google and Android One devices have a written commitment to 2 years of upgrades and 3 years of security patches. So do Samsung flagship devices.
    12-29-19 08:21 AM
    even if a disagree with this only 2 years of security patches, wich by the way should run from the moment on when you buy the phone... we have to learn that the wrong understood and way of living - use and replace after only two years - is part of the killing of our environment!!
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-29-19 01:55 PM
    even if a disagree with this only 2 years of security patches, wich by the way should run from the moment on when you buy the phone... we have to learn that the wrong understood and way of living - use and replace after only two years - is part of the killing of our environment!!
    As consumers, we ask for it though.

Everyone complains that things don't last as long anymore - whether fridges, phones, or bicycles, etc. But the vast majority are unwilling to pay double or triple for something that will.
    12-29-19 01:58 PM
    you are right conite...
    12-29-19 02:11 PM
    even if a disagree with this only 2 years of security patches, wich by the way should run from the moment on when you buy the phone...
    The development cycle and pace of progress is far too fast in the tech world to support products that way (starting update support based on time of purchase vs. release date). That's why it's never been done that way for anything computer-related. Heck, it didn't work that way for consumer electronics either, though there was little in the way of after-sale updates on those items anyway.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-29-19 02:51 PM
    Perhaps the new Cylance acquisition will be fruitful with Android and be available to BlackBerry Android users through the HUB Suite and secure the devices irrespective of Android OS version for years to come?
    I do not think this is a far fetched concept at all. It is brilliant. There is an android version of Cylance that was announced in beta.
    I bought a subscription for our pcs. This could be an add on.
    Norton Security is offering a security package to cover computers and phones. BlackBerry would do well to make this happen as soon as possible, and not miss this opportunity to expand with Cylance.
    12-29-19 05:53 PM

Everyone complains that things don't last as long anymore - whether fridges, phones, or bicycles, etc. But the vast majority are unwilling to pay double or triple for something that will.
    Lol: Our old washer had to be 40 years old. We got it used. We did the math. It finally started to leak. All the repair people say the new ones only last about 5 years. We bought a refurbished older one that will probably outlast the new ones.
    12-29-19 06:05 PM

I disagree. Android flagship devices, like Apple have not gotten cheaper. Sure there are mid range and year old devices that are great and cheaper but phones have defied logic. Flat panel TV's overall are much cheaper. Now I will note that I reside in the US. IF Huawei and Xaomi were here and with carriers it would be an entirely different scenario. The lack of allowed competition has keep flagship prices elevated. Outside of an extra camera lens or two or 3 and less functional bessel the designs for slabs have barely changed. Foldable devices may change things up a bit.
    12-29-19 07:34 PM
    Google and Android One devices have a written commitment to 2 years of upgrades and 3 years of security patches. So do Samsung flagship devices.
    S7 support for security patches is heading into 4 full years. Released in '16, on Oreo and still being patched.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-19 07:36 PM
    OnePlus as well.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-30-19 02:14 AM
    S7 support for security patches is heading into 4 full years. Released in '16, on Oreo and still being patched.
    I'm aware I'm starting to sound like a shill at this point - OnePlus 3/3t were updated to Pie a few months ago and received their last official update last month. This is why I'm sticking with them for the time being.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-30-19 02:21 AM
    It might be interesting to see if someone tried selling upgrade packages - sort of like warranty packages - where the price paid for a phone depended on how long you wanted upgrades for. The last I knew - people were keeping their phones longer and this would fill a need. It would also allow the factories to make more money on phones that would not be replaced as frequently in the past anyways. Win - win for everyone you would think but I am sure someone has run the numbers and didn't work.
    12-30-19 07:30 AM
35 12