I can't help thinking that the screen is pretty much 2x as tall as I need it to be to message and work.

I just want a 16:9 screen in landscape mode above a decent physical keyboard. I understand that our Android overlords won't permit it because we might not use the apps that earn them money. But that doesn't mean anything to me.

The more time I spend with Android, the more I want my 9900 back. I love my KeyONE as an Android phone, but it's very far from serving the same purpose as my 9900 or Z10. It's a decent phone for apps, but, other than the browser and the Hub, I spend less than 10% of my time using apps. I use the FM radio more than all of my apps combined.

Once every 2-3 weeks I need an app for something like a Lyft, and I'm happy to have it, but it's easier to carry two phones than sacrifice my daily productivity and comfort to use it as much as I use the old Z10.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-26-18 at 12:08 PM.
    08-25-18 05:24 PM
    I can't help thinking that the screen is pretty much 2x as tall as I need it to be to message and work.

I just want a 16:9 screen in landscape mode above a decent physical keyboard. I understand that our Android overlords won't permit it because we might not use the apps that earn them money. But that doesn't mean anything to me.

The more time I spend with Android, the more I want my 9900 back. I love my KeyONE as an Android phone, but it's very far from serving the same purpose as my 9900 or Z10. It's a decent phone for apps, but, other than the browser and the Hub, I spend less than 10% of my itme using apps. I use the FM radio more than all of my apps combined.

Once every 2-3 weeks I need an app for something like a Lyft, and I'm happy to have it, but it's easier to carry two phones than sacrifice my daily productivity and comfort to use it as much as I use the old Z10.
    Well we know the answer to this. Not gonna happen. You asking to take an already niche market phone into another smaller niche.
    08-25-18 05:35 PM
    Well we know the answer to this. Not gonna happen. You asking to take an already niche market phone into another smaller niche.
    Whether it happens or not isn't the issue. If it doesn't, I'll adjust. I've written approximately 1 million work-related emails on a BlackBerry over the past 15 years, preferring it to my PC most of the time due to the superior, focused interface and the value of timely, rather than batched, communications. If the KEYone becomes my primary phone, I will likely wait to respond to most messages until back at a PC.
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    08-25-18 05:45 PM
    Whether it happens or not isn't the issue. If it doesn't, I'll adjust. I've written approximately 1 million work-related emails on a BlackBerry over the past 15 years, preferring it to my PC most of the time due to the superior, focused interface and the value of timely, rather than batched, communications. If the KEYone becomes my primary phone, I will likely wait to respond to most messages until back at a PC.
    So you're not complaining about the Keyone in particular, but all phones currently available for sale. Carry on. The Z10 has an amazing VKB
    08-25-18 05:58 PM
    So you're not complaining about the Keyone in particular, but all phones currently available for sale. Carry on. The Z10 has an amazing VKB
    Quite right. I like my KeyONE just fine. It's just not a replacement for the handheld email appliances I've enjoyed for the past decade and a half.

I've never found value in the iPhone/Android model for a mobile phone. The idea of a pocket computer is great, but the overall quality of mobile apps is pretty poor IMO, and other than maps/GPS they really haven't increased my personal effectiveness in any way. For me, mobile email is still the "killer app," and today's all-purpose devices just aren't optimized for email.

Kind of like the all-purpose stadiums of the 1960s and 70s. We eventually figured out that the same building isn't good for football, baseball, rock concerts and soccer. Now we build purpose-built venues for each, and it's a big improvement.
    08-25-18 06:04 PM
    I think this speaks more to your personal ability to adapt than it does to some universally objective notion of ergonomics.

I tap "E" and I'm immediately composing an email. I tap attachment, and via Solid Explorer, I can attach files from any of my cloud sources or remote locations (ftp, webdav, lan, etc).
    Last edited by conite; 08-25-18 at 07:33 PM.
    08-25-18 06:52 PM

The more time I spend with Android, the more I want my 9900 back. I love my KeyONE as an Android phone, but it's very far from serving the same purpose as my 9900 or Z10. It's a decent phone for apps, but, other than the browser and the Hub, I spend less than 10% of my itme using apps. I use the FM radio more than all of my apps combined.

Then buy a flip phone
    08-25-18 08:56 PM
    For your business needs it might find it better to look at an Apple Mini4 iPad with cellular, and an auxiliary hard keyboard.

Then use a basic smartphone too.
    08-25-18 10:10 PM
    I think this speaks more to your personal ability to adapt than it does to some universally objective notion of ergonomics.

I tap "E" and I'm immediately composing an email. I tap attachment, and via Solid Explorer, I can attach files from any of my cloud sources or remote locations (ftp, webdav, lan, etc).
    Or speaks to the fact that the larger window was a feature rolled out, that was not asked for. In other words the company is missing the mark.
    Omahahaha likes this.
    08-25-18 10:15 PM
    For your business needs it might find it better to look at an Apple Mini4 iPad with cellular, and an auxiliary hard keyboard.

IS that lawsuit still going on? Regarding the mock-BlackBerry keyboards for iPhone?
    --
    Ryan Seacrest’s Startup Sued By Blackberry For Putting A BlackBerry Keyboard On iPhone
    BY ALEX HEATH • 1:17 PM, JANUARY 3, 2014
    https://www.cultofmac.com/260689/rya...yboard-iphone/
    08-25-18 10:18 PM
    Or speaks to the fact that the larger window was a feature rolled out, that was not asked for. In other words the company is missing the mark.
    Huh?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-25-18 10:32 PM
    Then buy a flip phone
    Pretty hard to pound out hundreds of quality emails a week on a flip phone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-26-18 12:08 AM

I'd rather retire than try to work on an iPad.

Omahahaha and john_v like this.
    08-26-18 12:09 AM
    By the time BB got around to releasing the Z10 the world of bigger screens had already captured the mobile market because that's what people wanted or were persuaded to want. You're not going to see small screen phones again unless it comes with a mobile ballistic missile launcher (missile included!)
    TCM01 and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-26-18 12:09 AM
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-26-18 at 12:10 PM.
    08-26-18 12:11 AM

Sure, shortcuts are great, but the KEYone is still too large and top-heavy for all-day typing. It's a disaster for one-handed use.

The ONLY reason the screen is as tall as it is is to meet Android requirements and run apps. It adds zero value for writing.

Omahahaha and chrissycee1975 like this.
    08-26-18 12:14 AM
    Sure, shortcuts are great, but the KEYone is still too large and top-heavy for all-day typing. It's a disaster for one-handed use.

The ONLY reason the screen is as tall as it is is to meet Android requirements and run apps. It adds zero value for writing.

I type all day. No issue with top heaviness.

One handed - no problem.
    Rico4you and TCM01 like this.
    08-26-18 12:16 AM
    I type all day. No issue with top heaviness.

One handed - no problem.
    I'm happy for you.

I swipe over to the left side of the Hub hundreds of times a day to check specific accounts. The right-hand thumb travel for me is completely unworkable on the KEYone. I can't reach even halfway to the edge with my thumb in the "home" position on the keyboard. On my Z10, not only is the travel distance shorter, but it's not necessary to reach all the way to the left bezel to begin the gesture.

I'm not here to disparage the KEYone. It's great for what it is, and it's my favorite Android phone. But it simply doesn't improve on the writing experience over legacy BlackBerry or BB10 devices. It's for people who value things other than writing.

Omahahaha and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-26-18 12:30 AM
    I'm happy for you.

I swipe over to the left side of the Hub hundreds of times a day to check specific accounts. The right-hand thumb travel for me is completely unworkable on the KEYone. I can't reach even halfway to the edge with my thumb in the "home" position on the keyboard. On my Z10, not only is the travel distance shorter, but it's not necessary to reach all the way to the left bezel to begin the gesture.

I'm not here to disparage the KEYone. It's great for what it is, and it's my favorite Android phone. But it simply doesn't improve on the writing experience over legacy BlackBerry or BB10 devices. It's for people who value things other than writing.

Use the convenience key for HUB, or a gesture app to allow a swipe from the right, or multiple relevant keyboard shortcuts.

I'm just saying there are different ways to skin a cat that are no less efficient.
    TCM01 likes this.
    08-26-18 12:33 AM

The Z10 would have met android standards for screen size/ratio. But of course it wasn't running android and was/is using an android runtime which cannot be or ever will be changed or renewed. Since BBMobile is in a niche market that is basically trying to survive with PKB's the only hope you have to satisfy your desire is to find the smallest android screen phone and install the BlackBerry Keyboard on it.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-26-18 12:40 AM
    The Z10 would have met android standards for screen size/ratio. But of course it wasn't running android and was/is using an android runtime which cannot be or ever will be changed or renewed. Since BBMobile is in a niche market that is basically trying to survive with PKB's the only hope you have to satisfy your desire is to find the smallest android screen phone and install the BlackBerry Keyboard on it.
    Thanks. I didn't start this post asking for advice. I know my options. I'm just sharing my musings that the Android screen standards are annoying for someone like me who would like a PKB device for writing but who doesn't need Google Play Store compatibility. I end up with a lot of unwanted glass.

Now, don't get me started on why it's dumb to use glass on a mobile device!

08-26-18 12:44 AM
    Thanks. I didn't start this post asking for advice. I know my options. I'm just sharing my musings that the Android screen standards are annoying for someone like me who would like a PKB device for writing but who doesn't need Google Play Store compatibility. I end up with a lot of unwanted glass.

Now, don't get me started on why it's dumb to use glass on a mobile device!

As I stated earlier the Z10 has a great VKB. I think you are totally misunderstanding the basic economic facts of the state of the mobile electronic industry.

Why would a company design a phone that would be strictly used as a typing instrument? Where is the money going to come from? They have built up an infrastructure and medium that can generate revenue from the sale of apps. It's something that BB10 tried to do but failed ultimately.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-26-18 12:54 AM
    you want a 4k pager i d like that as well
    anon(4297019) and TCM01 like this.
    08-26-18 12:59 AM
    As I stated earlier the Z10 has a great VKB. I think you are totally misunderstanding the basic economic facts of the state of the mobile electronic industry.

Why would a company design a phone that would be strictly used as a typing instrument? Where is the money going to come from? They have built up an infrastructure and medium that can generate revenue from the sale of apps. It's something that BB10 tried to do but failed ultimately.
    I never suggested that any company should build any device. I just described what I value and tried to talk about what has been lost when it comes to writing on handhelds.

08-26-18 01:28 AM
    I think that the OP is, like myself, part of small band of legacy BlackBerry users whose priority remains efficient communication rather than access to multiple apps, and who realise that the latest Android devices are no better (and arguably less good) at text input and manipulation than earlier OS7 and BB10 handsets. I also have the KEYone, and other Android smartphones, but when I'm at work my SIM stays in my Q10 (or occasionally my 9900) simply because I find it much faster for fielding multiple Emails and for composing long, complex replies. Trying to do the same on my KEYone (or any other touchscreen Android) invariably takes longer and I'm just less accurate and efficient. We're not knocking Android*, not suggesting that others should change, and not proposing (unrealistically**) that BlackBerry should go backwards -- simply indicating that for some of us, the older smaller BlackBerry's were better suited to the 'heavy lifting' of Emails and other work based text manipulation.

*Personally, I really like Android, appreciate the wide range & availablity of apps to do everything, and I continue to use an Android for content rich activities, media consumption etc.

**The market for smaller screened handsets is just too small to be economically viable, and this point has been discussed ad infinitum in the CB forums.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-26-18 at 06:23 AM.
    08-26-18 05:46 AM
123 123 ...