Initially, I was a little frustrated with all the hype going into CES, and it leading to no real concrete Mercury details - seems like a familiar rode we've been down many times before. Thinking about it a little bit more though, TCL has done a hell of a job getting this alpha device in the hands of a ton of important people, who all seem to be really excited about it. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos that rave about the phone, and most of the comments are the same. It would have been foolish to not take advantage of the CES stage, so they did so with a controlled, unified message - "this is not the final unit, but it shows what's to come." The only people who really care that we didn't get a ton more information are those of us on this forum. The rest of the world just saw a cool phone, which they've probably never heard of before, which they'll find out more about later.
    H4zN, CmdrStraker, kitmo and 2 others like this.
    01-06-17 12:02 AM
    Initially, I was a little frustrated with all the hype going into CES, and it leading to no real concrete Mercury details - seems like a familiar rode we've been down many times before. Thinking about it a little bit more though, TCL has done a hell of a job getting this alpha device in the hands of a ton of important people, who all seem to be really excited about it. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos that rave about the phone, and most of the comments are the same. It would have been foolish to not take advantage of the CES stage, so they did so with a controlled, unified message - "this is not the final unit, but it shows what's to come." The only people who really care that we didn't get a ton more information are those of us on this forum. The rest of the world just saw a cool phone, which they've probably never heard of before, which they'll find out more about later.
    You are so right man, my own observation was an overall positive reaction from those reviewers. The real reviews will be a different story once the phone is out and people will be able to write a fill blown review.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 12:40 AM
    Honestly, they only issue I can see with this phone is maybe speed or dated specs. Of course you'll get the PKB hater and will be outraged by it but that's to be expected. Priv seemed a little slow in response n laggy, I hope tgis one doesn't have that. Gal S7 is really smooth n fast. If it's anything like that It should be a home run.

I think ppl are bored and sick of Apple n friends. Want something new n different but with that old Familiar feel
    01-06-17 02:07 AM
    As opposed to what - going up on in front of the tech media and literally holding up two LED flashlights with stickers on them with the wrong OS for five seconds and then nothing for the six months? Getting working units into the hands of tech reviewers is certainly a lot more credible than that fiasco. It would be as if in 1984, instead of a computer, Steve Jobs pulled out a box with a light behind the screen and a tape recorder inside.

Back during Mobile World Congress, saying that BlackBerry would dare do that was a conspiracy theory, LOL.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-06-17 at 03:11 AM.
    01-06-17 02:28 AM
    I'm not physical keyboard fan but this phone looks beautiful and I think a lot of people think same. It was really good to seize the opportunity of CES to show it

Posted via CB10
    WT44 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    01-06-17 03:52 AM
    but they still can't agree a name for it.

that's worse than the blackberry launches. the last pre-launch I watched was when Chen showed off the Classic which he actually had a name for. to show something and not be able to name it is pretty pathetic.
    01-06-17 05:01 AM
    Wait till the phone is out.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    01-06-17 06:01 AM

that's worse than the blackberry launches. the last pre-launch I watched was when Chen showed off the Classic which he actually had a name for. to show something and not be able to name it is pretty pathetic.
    Come on.... whats in the name....
    01-06-17 07:13 AM
    I'm not physical keyboard fan but this phone looks beautiful and I think a lot of people think same. It was really good to seize the opportunity of CES to show it

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't until I got my priv. I like pkb now. Pretty nice option to have. I'm proficient enough with it now I could happily use one all the time on a phone like the mercury. I find myself using the pkb on my PRIV more and more.
    01-06-17 10:33 AM
    Professionalism. For a blackberry phone, any sign of being disorganised like this is not good.

Did Apple launch their Iphone saying "we don't know what we're going to call it yet, we haven't decided"?
    01-06-17 10:41 AM

Oh I think they have a name for it that has been carefully researched. It is part of the ad campaign to build interest and then have some catchy ads with the name. That is my guess.
    01-06-17 10:45 AM
    but they still can't agree a name for it. ...
    TCL inherited the Mercury project from BlackBerry. Mercury was BlackBerrry's project code name. TCL only took over this project in late December. It's now their decision to come up with a name for the final production model and they already appear to have suggested the name PRESS.
    01-06-17 10:52 AM
    Yep TCL deserves some credit to take on... keeps the CB fun rolling for some time... must be boring of being hooked up with a iPhone for instant, can't imagine the Apple fanboys got anything similar like this to chant about.

Posted via -Passport -Classic / OS-10.3.++ is all you need
    01-06-17 11:31 AM
    Professionalism. For a blackberry phone, any sign of being disorganised like this is not good.

Did Apple launch their Iphone saying "we don't know what we're going to call it yet, we haven't decided"?
    The introduction at the CES was only a sneak preview. A teaser. Thats different from an Apple event where a new apple phone is introduced with a big show. There was no show. TCL only showed new TV's.

I dont think they picked a final name yet.
    01-06-17 11:33 AM
    TCL inherited the Mercury project from BlackBerry. Mercury was BlackBerrry's project code name. TCL only took over this project in late December. It's now their decision to come up with a name for the final production model and they already appear to have suggested the name PRESS.
    Did they drop more hints about it being called the Press, or is it based off the tweet from Streve?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 11:38 AM
    Did they drop more hints about it being called the Press, or is it based off the tweet from Streve?
    I've haven't seen anything more since the earlier tweets from Steve.
    01-06-17 11:44 AM
    I think I'll call it Clint!

I agree about the Iphone. People might moan about this phone being ugly in their opinion but at least it has character.
    01-06-17 11:49 AM
    In the case of the, ahem, well-named Priv - not much. I wonder how much BB paid someone to come up with that lame moniker?
    01-07-17 08:48 AM
    Seriously guys. It's just a name. It's just a color.
    It's not like iPhone 7 plus is a good name.

People should be glad that TCL is willing to pick up Blackberry and try to salvage it and making a keyboard instead of another generic touch slab.

All I see are toxic people in this forum trying to bash everything they can about the Mercury without even trying it themselves.

You might end up discouraging people from getting the phone in the end.
    01-07-17 09:25 PM

This wasn't a launch. It was a little tease of what is to come.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-07-17 09:34 PM
    This wasn't a launch. It was a little tease of what is to come.

Posted with my  Classic
    I think people keep forgetting what this was. It's no different than the twitter teaser that Steve sent out beforehand except that press and tech guys got to actually hold a PRE PRODUCTION ALPHA device. Comon guys it's not life or death sheesh.

The guys over at Android have better opinion of this whole thing than we do...guess that means BlackBerry/TCL is doing something right.

 ßlackßerry PASSPORT 
    01-07-17 10:18 PM
    Here's one (no pun intended): BlackBerry 1
    01-07-17 11:52 PM