Thorsten Heins tried that, the Canadian government shut it down.

Shame, since the Chinese were the only ones considering taking BB up on their licensing offer.
    It's quite interesting that the government can intervene in that capacity even where the company concerned is merely trying to secure its own future.

(Yes I do understand the security concerns, but still).

Surely if the government takes this interventionist approach in shaping strategy, it should have a responsibility to subsidise BlackBerry in order to help keep it afloat.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-21-16 06:07 AM
    Cancel a device that doesn't officially exist? Yeah okay bud

03-21-16 11:37 AM
    Cancel a device that doesn't officially exist? Yeah okay bud

Well, it is possible to cancel a device that is planned. It doesn't need to 'officially exist'.

03-22-16 07:37 AM
    Well, it is possible to cancel a device that is planned. It doesn't need to 'officially exist'.

I know it's possible. I just think it's a silly thing to suggest. We know nothing about it. Literally nothing. For all we know the renders that were leaked were fake or have been completely changed by BlackBerry. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for BlackBerry to officially release something before telling them they are wrong?

03-22-16 11:22 AM
    Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for BlackBerry to officially release something before telling them they are wrong?

Not really, no. Generally the earlier you cancel something the better, assuming it is a wise move to do so.

I think what the OP is saying is that a device of this form wouldn't do well, and that there is more demand for an Android-based Passport. I'm inclined to agree on that, though in my view it would be wiser for Blackberry to give up on the handset market altogether.
    03-22-16 04:09 PM
    Not really, no. Generally the earlier you cancel something the better, assuming it is a wise move to do so.

I think what the OP is saying is that a device of this form wouldn't do well, and that there is more demand for an Android-based Passport. I'm inclined to agree on that, though in my view it would be wiser for Blackberry to give up on the handset market altogether.
    I respectfully disagree. A phone with the form factor (rectangle) of every other well-selling phone available, with a keyboard that it seems more people are comfortable with in the Classic keyboard would do better than a square/wide phone. The "rectangle Classic" Vienna has a much more familiar look to it than just a Passport running Android. You'd immediately lose anyone interested in using their phone for any sort of media.
    03-22-16 04:49 PM
    It's quite interesting that the government can intervene in that capacity even where the company concerned is merely trying to secure its own future.

(Yes I do understand the security concerns, but still).

Surely if the government takes this interventionist approach in shaping strategy, it should have a responsibility to subsidise BlackBerry in order to help keep it afloat.

I think this was just a feel good rumor for BB fans. In October of 2013 one Chinese company (rumored to be Lenovo) looked at BB, but like all the other potential buyers they took one look at the books and never returned. No government review was ever requested. If a company is really interested they do a lot of work for approval.

Lenovo did a lot of work with the US Government security agencies to get permission to by the IBM server business. The work took many months for approval. If Lenovo really wanted BlackBerry they would have put forward the same effort. They have a lot of experience in getting government approvals for aquisitions. The question no one can answer is why would Lenovo a top 5 smartphone company want Blackberry. Don't say for BB10 in Oct 2013 BB10 1.X was a disaster. The OS was a bad reputation for being buggy and BlackBerry was stuck with a ton of unsold BB10 phones. If they did want it they could have signed an OEM deal with BlackBerry without taking on the cost of OS development.
    03-22-16 09:34 PM
    I think this was just a feel good rumor for BB fans. In October of 2013 one Chinese company (rumored to be Lenovo) looked at BB, but like all the other potential buyers they took one look at the books and never returned. No government review was ever requested. If a company is really interested they do a lot of work for approval.

Lenovo did a lot of work with the US Government security agencies to get permission to by the IBM server business. The work took many months for approval. If Lenovo really wanted BlackBerry they would have put forward the same effort. They have a lot of experience in getting government approvals for aquisitions. The question no one can answer is why would Lenovo a top 5 smartphone company want Blackberry. Don't say for BB10 in Oct 2013 BB10 1.X was a disaster. The OS was a bad reputation for being buggy and BlackBerry was stuck with a ton of unsold BB10 phones. If they did want it they could have signed an OEM deal with BlackBerry without taking on the cost of OS development.
    Yes you could be right - everything we know about that story came from the media.

No argument there - it's all speculation.

03-23-16 10:34 AM
    I would love a Classic 2 with upgrades all across the board with a reasonable price out the gate.
    RIM has to stop comparing themselves to other manufactures because "success" is relative.

People rarely convert
    " iFone = Apple "
    " Galaxy = Android"
    The Windows, BB10, etc users are users who have made a conscious decision to support, the others have not. So there really isn't an audience to gain, because people are robotic in nature. There is no conversion to be had, just acceptance of the market you do/can cater too, if you can't accept that then close up shop, but trying to win over consumers so desperately never will work out......

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    03-28-16 11:15 AM
34 12