Hi gang,

As some of you may already know I have a K1 that got some saltwater on it, rendering it useless (believe me, it didn't take much water...).

I absolutely loved it the short time I got to play with it, but I do have some concerns regarding the hardware (and in parts, software) quality. I still have my Passport laying around, and that thing can handle just about anything! Of course the Passport really is one of a kind, and the build quality of the K1 feels really decent too, it's just that (we all know) the Android software can be somewhat flaky (in lack of a better word). And many Android phones have a multitude of issues, some more serious than others, but let's not bicker about that.

Bottom line: Getting a new K1 now, for me personally, would mean losing about 1,5 months of savings (what I put aside every month). I'm very careful with money (no, I wouldn't say stingy), and I'm honestly having a tough time justifying another large purchase of the same ducking product. I guess I just need some serious convincing here, lol...

Any input would be much appreciated, especially from those of you who have already owned the K1 for a while now.

Cheers

EDIT: I decided to order a new K1 simply because there is no other mobile phone currently available that I am even remotely interested in besides the K1. And ultimately, I'll always be a pkb fan.
    Last edited by Barbareren; 06-01-17 at 12:30 AM.
    BlackBerry Mobile likes this.
    05-31-17 04:08 PM
    "I absolutely loved it...". Did you not answer your own question? Nothing else has changed since you made the decision to buy it last time. It's a question of budget, and only you can answer that.
    fanisk and skinnymike1 like this.
    05-31-17 04:13 PM
    If your going to be losing 1.5 months of savings, no new phone should be in your near future. Stick with your Passport and be happy you had a back up. Pick up the Keyone down the road or buy a used one later if you love it, at the end of the day, it's just a phone. If you cannot justify a big purchase, don't do it. Wait until your more comfortable financially. Just my 2 cents.
    05-31-17 04:18 PM
    Don't get one yet. It's like your going back to the buffet that only has scraps left, before others get their first serving.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-31-17 04:22 PM
    If your going to be losing 1.5 months of savings, no new phone should be in your near future. Stick with your Passport and be happy you had a back up. Pick up the Keyone down the road or buy a used one later if you love it, at the end of the day, it's just a phone. If you cannot justify a big purchase, don't do it. Wait until your more comfortable financially. Just my 2 cents.
    I don't use a Passport anymore, it's sadly obsolete. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I can easily afford the phone, it's just the principle of the whole thing, if you get my drift.
    05-31-17 04:23 PM
    Hi gang,

As some of you may already know I have a K1 that got some saltwater on it, rendering it useless (believe me, it didn't take much water...).

I absolutely loved it the short time I got to play with it, but I do have some concerns regarding the hardware (and in parts, software) quality. I still have my Passport laying around, and that thing can handle just about anything! Of course the Passport really is one of a kind, and the build quality of the K1 feels really decent too, it's just that (we all know) the Android software can be somewhat flaky (in lack of a better word). And many Android phones have a multitude of issues, some more serious than others, but let's not bicker about that.

Bottom line: Getting a new K1 now, for me personally, would mean losing about 1,5 months of savings (what I put aside every month). I'm very careful with money (no, I wouldn't say stingy), and I'm honestly having a tough time justifying another large purchase of the same ducking product. I guess I just need some serious convincing here, lol...

Any input would be much appreciated, especially from those of you who have already owned the K1 for a while now.

Cheers
    Get insurance next time
    PaulaJava and jafobabe like this.
    05-31-17 04:30 PM
    Get insurance next time
    Hehe, yeah!
    05-31-17 04:35 PM
    Don't get one yet. It's like your going back to the buffet that only has scraps left, before others get their first serving.
    You get me, lol.
    05-31-17 04:38 PM
    "I absolutely loved it...". Did you not answer your own question? Nothing else has changed since you made the decision to buy it last time. It's a question of budget, and only you can answer that.
    It's not a question of budget, really, I shouldn't have brought that up because people seem to misunderstand what I meant. It's solely a matter of principles, and me growing up in a time (the 80s) where I really learned the value of money. I do not like "wasting money" (buying the same expensive phone yet again), if you know what I mean...
    05-31-17 04:44 PM
    I don't use a Passport anymore, it's sadly obsolete. Anyway, don't get me wrong, I can easily afford the phone, it's just the principle of the whole thing, if you get my drift.
    You could always sell the Passport on the marketplace forum to offset the hit of a second KEYone.
    Carjackd and stlabrat like this.
    05-31-17 05:18 PM
    Get insurance next time
    I was just about to say this. Buy one (whichever phone it will be) and insure it.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 05:37 PM
    OP you are simply irresponsible with high-end devices and would recommend getting a much cheaper alternative in the $100-$200 range. Better yet a flip phone as those are built to last for years to come and something I usually gift to newly aged teenagers.

Good luck.
    05-31-17 05:46 PM
    You could always sell the Passport on the marketplace forum to offset the hit of a second KEYone.
    Thanks, but the Passport still has sentimental value to me Besides, the budget is really not the main issue here. I just used it as an example. It's all about principles for me - that's why I'm finding it so hard to justify another purchase of the same exact product... At the same time I completely understand that there is absolutely no other phone like it out there! Hmm, damn! I'll just have to put my principles aside when it comes to this cursed K1, lol! I guess I just convinced myself, hehe
    05-31-17 05:50 PM
    OP you are simply irresponsible with high-end devices and would recommend getting a much cheaper alternative in the $100-$200 range. Better yet a flip phone as those are built to last for years to come and something I usually gift to newly aged teenagers.

Good luck.
    Well, that was completely uncalled for. You know nothing about me. I was simply being unlucky. As a self-proclaimed phone-geek I have been buying the absolute top of the line phones since the nineties, and treating them like my children. So please project your misguided anger elsewhere. Thanks.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-31-17 05:54 PM
    Well, that was completely uncalled for. You know nothing about me. I was simply being unlucky. As a self-proclaimed phone-geek I have been buying the absolute top of the line phones since the nineties, and treating them like my children. So please project your misguided anger elsewhere. Thanks.
    It's not anger. Sorry if it came off that way I'm just usually very direct and to the point.
    05-31-17 05:59 PM
    It's not anger. Sorry if it came off that way I'm just usually very direct and to the point.
    Okay, gotcha. No harm done ✌
    05-31-17 06:01 PM
    If Passport works for you, stay with the Passport. The only reason I bought a KEYone is because there are a few apps that I absolutely need and on my BlackBerry they either aren't available, or they don't work correctly.

It really comes down to wanting it or needing it. It sounds like you don't need it.
    05-31-17 06:03 PM
    Save your hard earned money, wait until the passpprt dies by that time Keyone will be on sale for half price, or there will be a better phone on the market replacing the KEYone.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:10 PM
    It really comes down to wanting it or needing it. It sounds like you don't need it.
    Oh, but I do. The infamous app-gap already caught up with me late last year. That's when I got a DTEK50 to keep me 'app-happy' while waiting for the K1.

Anyway, thanks for all your input, guys, but I have decided to order the K1 again, simply because there is no other phone like it on the market, and because I will always prefer physical keyboards. However, I'm having troubles ordering it from Amazon... They only show the CDMA (wtf?) version as available for shipping to México... I didn't even know there was a CDMA version (?). I want the normal GSM version.
    05-31-17 06:24 PM
    They only show the CDMA (wtf?) version as available for shipping to México... I didn't even know there was a CDMA version (?). I want the normal GSM version.
    It's the same deal for shipping to Canada on the same Amazon page, I think the GSM version is restricted to the USA. Still,
    Mexico's network bands mean that any KEYone version would work, according to the band list from the FCC:

BBB100-1 (pg 9)
    BBB100-2 (pg 9)
    BBB100-3 (pg 10)
    05-31-17 06:41 PM
    Sorry for ur troubles. We were in the Unlocked Mobile boat together, so I can imagine goin thru all that and not being able to use the phone. I personally would say if u loved the phone like that and it's only a month and a half of savings...i would do it. It's just money ur puttin away and u can catch back up in a few months. Keep in my this is comin from a person who would spend his last couple dollars and be broke for a week to buy a DVD just to buy it the day it came out. Not just any DVD tho, lol. It has to be a movie that I really like and really want. For example, Underworld.
    05-31-17 06:42 PM
    It's the same deal for shipping to Canada on the same Amazon page, I think the GSM version is restricted to the USA. Still,
    Mexico's network bands mean that any KEYone version would work, according to the band list from the FCC:

BBB100-1 (pg 9)
    BBB100-2 (pg 9)
    BBB100-3 (pg 10)
    Thank you very much for that information! However, I do plan on traveling back to Europe, so I definitely need the GSM version.
    05-31-17 06:44 PM
    Thank you very much for that information! However, I do plan on traveling back to Europe, so I definitely need the GSM version.
    Consult this chart:
    I need some serious convincing of buying another K1!-keyonebandsv3.png

And this list from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    05-31-17 06:46 PM
    Sorry for ur troubles. We were in the Unlocked Mobile boat together, so I can imagine goin thru all that and not being able to use the phone. I personally would say if u loved the phone like that and it's only a month and a half of savings...i would do it. It's just money ur puttin away and u can catch back up in a few months. Keep in my this is comin from a person who would spend his last couple dollars and be broke for a week to buy a DVD just to buy it the day it came out. Not just any DVD tho, lol. It has to be a movie that I really like and really want. For example, Underworld.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, man. We're on the same page!
    Diana Melamet likes this.
    05-31-17 06:46 PM
    Next pay for insurance!!!
    05-31-17 06:48 PM
53 123