My first post and my first Blackberry... as the KeyOne ticked all my boxes.

I am really liking it so far (2 days) but the microphone clearly has major problems...and I've seen I'm not the first to post here with this.

It's just muffled and hisses badly and the level is very low on phone calls. The received volume on calls is low too..inaudible sometimes. The music player is loud and clear and if I replace the onboard mic with a headset mic on my headphones, it gets better. So I'm pretty sure it's the onboard mic and/or the telephone calls side of the hardware at fault.
    I know I need to do a total reset but I noticed on the other posts that didn't solve it.

I guess its back to Carphone Wharehouse....damn I spent two days setting this thing up.

Anyhow...great phone apart from this!

Cheers...
    05-26-17 05:47 PM
    Hi, I had the same here. I limited it to use only 3G and 4G nets (not GSM / G2) and than the issue was gone. seems to be not a microphone issue but a system on chip issue or some config values are bad.
    05-27-17 02:43 AM
    Hi, I had the same here. I limited it to use only G3 and G4 nets (not GSM / G2) and than the issue was gone. seems to be not a microphone issue but a system on chip issue or some config values are bad.
    As far as I know voice calls are over 2G and 3G in most countries unless your network supports voice over LTE.
    05-27-17 02:52 AM
    Seems the only answer is to return it and wait and see if it gets resolved before getting another. That is the only sure way you will get what you want. If you keep it you will be subject to warranties and headaches until they solve it if it's a software issue, yet will still be stuck with the phone or replacements. Usually there is a window for complete refund and return after initial purchase and that would be my first choice knowing it's widespread issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-17 03:07 AM
    Thanks everyone. I'm off to Carphone Wharehouse today to hopefully get an exchange. Spent two days tweaking the phone to my perfect set up! Damn....
    But what a great phone so far!
    05-27-17 06:46 AM
    OK back from Tech Guys at Carphone Wharehouse.
    The phone mic is apparently fine. They all sound like this apparently i.e really distorted and tinny. It seems that if you compare it to an iPhone 7 it's much the same. It's the noise-cancelling dual mic that causes the tinny sound. That's the price for noise cancellation. Hence if I put in wired headphones with a normal mic, the sound is big and warmer..but much more background noise.
    So that's the verdict.....I'm not completely convinced and until I can a/b it with another K1 I have to accept what they say. Jeez I thought getting a Blackberry would mean super high fidelity call quality. Apparently not.
    BTW this is an issue with calls, not the other audio issues with playback of music that others are having.
    PS anyone in Bristol UK with a K1 so I could a/b?
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-27-17 09:21 AM
    I mean... it's not really a lack berry anymore, is it?

The best comparison would be an Alcatel device.

All blackberry comparisons really have to be tossed out the window.
    05-27-17 10:25 AM
    Well I'm not convinced this unit is working properly.
    I had to go back to CPW after I did the following tests:

I left myself a voice message on my own voicemail. Firstly I used an Oppo OP3 state of the art headphone with mic (£300) and then I did the same with the K1 onboard mic and then I removed the sim and put it in to a 10 year old push button Samsung and did the same thing.

Results: the Oppo Mic and the onboard K1 mic both sounded terrible played back on the K1.

The Samsung played back on the Samsung sounded great. When I put the sim back in the K1...all sounded terrible...garbled low bandwidth and unintelligible.

So CPW have been excellent (respect for Nick at Tech Guys in Bristol) and are going to swap it for another K1 next week. I am convinced (I hope!!) that there is something wrong with the cell telephony side of my K1. As I said earlier..the playback of music is just fine, full sound and clear (I know it's not making everyone happy but this issue is totally separate from that one!) but anything coming over a phone call is distorted, garble, quiet and unintelligible.

Cheers
    05-27-17 10:56 AM
    How about speakeRphonecall quality?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-17 12:18 PM
    Good question..not tried yet. Will do.
    05-27-17 03:48 PM
    Severely interested... game changer for my usage...
    Last edited by patapoof; 05-28-17 at 11:11 AM.
    05-27-17 04:06 PM
    Hi. I have major issues connecting my KEYone to my VW Passat audio system via Bluetooth audio. Always disconnecting. It sucks, never had issues with it with my previous phones.
    05-28-17 02:26 AM
    Ive had a few people on other end of a call complain too about not speaking into the microphone, shame, i sort of like this phone, but sound is an issue!
    05-28-17 03:32 AM
    The guys at CPW did some experiments and concluded you really need to hold the K1 so the mic is close in to the mouth thereby not having the speaker exactly on the ear. TBH I'm using a wired headset mic and all is a lot better.
    05-28-17 04:20 AM
    Severely interested... game changer for m usage...
    OK just had a Slack call on speakerphone...amazingly good audio experience! Loud and crystal clear.
    This convinces me more and more that there is something wrong with the cellphone section of my phone...it's still garbed and quiet and unintelligible.
    Last edited by newmembername; 05-28-17 at 06:34 AM.
    05-28-17 04:22 AM
    OK just had a Slack call on speakerphone...amazingly good audio experience! Loud and crystal clear.
    This convinces me more and more that there is something wrong with the cellphone section of my phone...it's still garbed and quiet and unintelligible.
    Exchange
    thekidshop likes this.
    05-28-17 09:41 AM
    Send it back , problem solved
    05-28-17 09:55 AM
    I am interested in all this... does use of the speakerphone change the quality of transmisssion ? of reception ?
    05-28-17 11:14 AM
    I mean... it's not really a lack berry anymore, is it?

The best comparison would be an Alcatel device.

All blackberry comparisons really have to be tossed out the window.
    Before all this BlackBerry partnering, I never heard of Alcatel or TCL. Seems here that company makes the cheap phones for those underprivileged on welfare who get some free subsidized service...
    05-28-17 11:17 AM
    I am interested in all this... does use of the speakerphone change the quality of transmisssion ? of reception ?
    Slack calls are via wifi
    05-28-17 11:41 AM
    It is noise canceling and a software issue. I guess will be tweaked over time. Had the same with the S8 in my car.
    05-28-17 12:25 PM
    Whether wifi or cellular, calls may be transacted using the ear speaker or via speakerphone. I am interested in the speakerphone quality for all call types.
    Dr34m3rz likes this.
    05-28-17 12:26 PM
    Can't BlackBerry do anything right from the getgo? Seemingly, they don't even test the phones...
    05-28-17 12:31 PM
    Well like I said from the off..I think my phone is faulty so lets not condemn!
    The wifi call I had was excellent like I said. Cellular is not but that could be my phone. Someone else could check this?
    05-28-17 01:03 PM
    can you try a different sim card from a different provider maybe it's some incompatibility between your phone and your provider
    the reason i'm thinking of that it's because sometimes when i'm switching networks when on a call i can barely hear the other party
    05-28-17 02:39 PM
26 12