BB10 phones were crippled due to the OS, Priv was priced insanely too high,the dtek 50,60 are insignificant devices. So I think maybe BlackBerry will finally achieve balance with the mercury.
    It's got a working major OS, the BlackBerry software, and the keyboard that we love.

I honestly can't wait to see what the thing really looks like.
    01-02-17 11:25 PM
    BB10 phones were crippled due to the OS, Priv was priced insanely too high,the dtek 50,60 are insignificant devices.
    Say something about Bolds and you'd have triggered everyone.

Anyway, if the CB faithful all buy it, would it still have made a difference?
    werkregen and AllanQuatermain like this.
    01-02-17 11:34 PM
    Savior to whom? BlackBerry, for the most part, is out of it. Do you think if the Mercury does well, BlackBerry is just gonna jump right back into hardware completely? 'That whole software is the new BlackBerry thing... yeahhh.. we was juz playin.'
    gebco, howarmat, PALoeza and 5 others like this.
    01-02-17 11:34 PM
    Savior to whom? BlackBerry, for the most part, is out of it. Do you think if the Mercury does well, BlackBerry is just gonna jump right back into hardware completely? 'That whole software is the new BlackBerry thing... yeahhh.. we was juz playin.'
    Saviour for us fans. To be honest I really don't care who owns the brand as long as the end product is to my taste.
    01-03-17 01:03 AM
    DTEK50/60 are actually legit phones. I deal with professionals on a daily basis and I'm shocked to see how fast I have seen clients come in rocking either a DTEK50 or 60. They are being purchased by large corporations and being deployed to their employees in mass. I don't know if the device is any good, I've only seen them and not played with them or use them long term but BlackBerry did something right with those devices.

The Merc I believe is going to be for the enthusiast, just like the Passport was but this time they're releasing a device that will have the fans of the main BlackBerry devices (Classic, Bold 9900, etc) come back and took a real good look.

I've had an iPhone for the past 6 years..... this is the device I've been waiting for since my Bold 9900.
    01-03-17 01:16 AM
    Saviour for us fans. To be honest I really don't care who owns the brand as long as the end product is to my taste.
    I agree. Who makes the phones doesn't matter. I only care that phones with features I want are being made...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    pizzawheel likes this.
    01-03-17 02:48 AM
    I think BB is dead, and we are just watching the final twitches before it goes away. If DTEK 50/60 had come out before the Priv, maybe, just maybe, but with the Priv's insane price, and QC issues, BB is dead. Sad to see, it really is. An updated android running Bold 9900 with good security might have saved BB. But then again, maybe not.

BB10 phones were crippled due to the OS, Priv was priced insanely too high,the dtek 50,60 are insignificant devices. So I think maybe BlackBerry will finally achieve balance with the mercury.
    It's got a working major OS, the BlackBerry software, and the keyboard that we love.

I honestly can't wait to see what the thing really looks like.
    01-03-17 07:00 AM
    I think blackberry are on life support and the bill just got paid by tcl for a while , sooner or later the blackberry brand won't make tcl any money and theyl also drop the brand.

Brand power is so important and people just don't want to leave what they accustomed to anymore ,

I don't see tcl staying around for too long if things don't pan out, but yeah while it's around. Let's enjoy it.

Regarding the title , no. This isn't the saviour device. Slabs sell better than pkbs, that's why the public invest in that form factor.
    01-03-17 07:18 AM
    I think blackberry are on life support and the bill just got paid by tcl for a while , sooner or later the blackberry brand won't make tcl any money and theyl also drop the brand.

Brand power is so important and people just don't want to leave what they accustomed to anymore ,

I don't see tcl staying around for too long if things don't pan out, but yeah while it's around. Let's enjoy it.

Regarding the title , no. This isn't the saviour device. Slabs sell better than pkbs, that's why the public invest in that form factor.
    Not true. Blackberry name would sell more than alcatel for sure. So #notgonnahappen
    Karan Riar likes this.
    01-03-17 08:27 AM
    I agree that it could greatly help, only if BlackBerry were trying to get back in the game. But I'm also not very convinced that they are.

But one thing that could kill BlackBerry devices is if they're partnering with a manufacturer, who is found to have issues concerning the phones manufactured under their own brand name.
    Another issue that could have a negative effect is if; BlackBerry is trying to get all their investment back all at once, by pricing the device in the IPhone /Samsung range. These phones sell on name recognition and at this point BlackBerry has to rebuild it's name to many consumers on value and ingenuity, at a reasonable price.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    01-03-17 09:19 AM

I dunno...I think TCL can turn the brand around with some proper marketing . But that only benefits TCL and not BlackBerry. One way or another they are making a go of it and some promo at CES is a good start compared to BlackBerry's almost no show last year.
    01-03-17 09:30 AM
    But that only benefits TCL and not BlackBerry.
    I would imagine the licensing deal would have some sort of per unit fee paid to BlackBerry from sales.

Hard to think Microsoft is just giving away Windows 10 for free to all the PC makers (well, they sort of, for small tablets and some devices, but it's a licensing fee minus a credit.)
    ayngling likes this.
    01-03-17 09:39 AM
    Just hope TCL will continue to make phones with PKB, even it's every 2 years or something.
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-03-17 10:31 AM
    I think a very well designed Mercury could be the saviour of the pkb fans and possibly generate a new fan base. It seems that many people are looking for something different in their phones these days as well as high end specs. We have been very spoiled with what iphone created, and it now seems ho hum to many. Also even though Blackberry has turned over the business of making the phones to TCL, a very successful funky new "Blackberry" will in a sense give Blackberry reputation a boost. Just my two cents.
    ominaxe and PALoeza like this.
    01-03-17 10:51 AM
    Tcl have some major backing with regards to hardware so expect the latest snapdragon chipseta and specs to be included now going forward for most blackberry devices.
    bb_bunny likes this.
    01-03-17 10:51 AM
    I would imagine the licensing deal would have some sort of per unit fee paid to BlackBerry from sales.

Hard to think Microsoft is just giving away Windows 10 for free to all the PC makers (well, they sort of, for small tablets and some devices, but it's a licensing fee minus a credit.)
    Of course, but I'm sure it's minimal
    01-03-17 10:53 AM
    Just hope TCL will continue to make phones with PKB, even it's every 2 years or something.
    Even if they lose money? I'm not too sure of too many business that want to lose money...
    01-03-17 10:56 AM
    Of course, but I'm sure it's minimal
    Given that.. Every penny helps the bottom line.
    01-03-17 11:00 AM
    While I agree with the assessment that BlackBerry+phones is on life support and the TCL relationship could just be a delay in the plug being pulled, I think that this relationship might possibly give them the stability for a couple of years that they need in order to right the ship.

Although I am not overly knowledgeable about the Android environment, I consistently hear frustration from my friends over lack of software updates and how manufacturers drop support of their phones. If BlackBerry can reliably provide software updates for their phones, and TCL can pump out solid hardware at a good price point, then a winning combination may be found. It won't happen overnight, but once that track record is established (that is obviously a big if), I could see this combination being a fruitful one.

Posted via CB10
    beam0511 likes this.
    01-03-17 11:21 AM
    Nothing exciting coming from this for me. Android phone is a definite no buy for me. If it could at least be rooted I could go CyanogenMod. Its a sad day that i got an iPhone 6S for my GF and looks at this rate ill be eventually going the same way.
    01-03-17 11:28 AM
    Lmao! Comment of the year

#whatisclassic
    01-03-17 11:47 AM
    Aaaaah finally an android phone with a proper BlackBerry qwerty, looking good to me already. I currently use a Nexus 6p (Too heavy and long) for multimedia and a PP (too wide) for messaging. I've gotten used to Android phones, so looks like I will be doing a Mercury and a Classic, two physical qwerty's perfect sizes, and still maintain my Android game and BB10 lurrv!
    01-03-17 11:52 AM
    if mercury is "in house" = means BB design phone (BOM defined or co-defined with TCL) and proven to be able to catch the market and make profit, the business model should be replicated = design in waterloo, canada, mfg in china/india, or what ever. For security, reliability and brand name sake. IMHO.
    01-03-17 12:23 PM
    SAVIOUR???
    Hmmm... how a fallen company bounces back to market, does not dependent on how high their product specs on hardware maybe, or what kind of UI improvement on the common OS which every other phone makers are using...
    The little come back of Motorola into the mobile popularity chart... well... relies on how the product was priced. Is Mercury ala le PRESSE, going to do as well as Moto's G+ / G-Turbo? ...Hmmm... what's the price of le PRESSE again?
    01-03-17 12:42 PM
    if mercury is "in house" = means BB design phone (BOM defined or co-defined with TCL) and proven to be able to catch the market and make profit, the business model should be replicated = design in waterloo, canada, mfg in china/india, or what ever. For security, reliability and brand name sake. IMHO.
    Mercury has been "design" for a long, long time now.... With Chen's need to keep cutting cost as revenue keeps falling, I doubt there is much of a "design team" left in Waterloo.

It is what it is... going forward, TCL will take whatever information that BlackBerry has on hardware designs (mainly the keyboards) and incorporate them into any future designs beyond this phone. To be honest, TCL is a very big electronic company.... granted they tend to follow rather than lead in design work. They still have a lot more talent to draw on than BlackBerry currently has.
    01-03-17 12:55 PM
86 123 ...