My Key2 space bar started being unreliable, I tried compressed air and vacuum, no luck, so I bought a replacement keyboard.

Long story short: i replaced the keyboard, but created two problems, and wondering if they can be solved, or if not can I get my data off the phone.

1) In removing the back cover, I managed to tear the right side button ribbon cable. The volume buttons work, but the power (and probably the special function) button no longer works.

2) In trying to debug that, and despite seeing the issue on one of the few YouTube Key2 teardown videos, I managed to dislodge the white cable's pad from the motherboard that I think is the mic or speaker cable. If I were good at soldering, I'd do that, but I'm not.

My questions:

Can these two issues be fixed? I imagine the wire could be solved by replacing the motherboard (pain) or soldering (I'd need someone else to do it), but the more important issue is the power button. Can that assembly be replaced? And is that worth it? I think I can get a good used Key2 for $350, and a new one for maybe $450. Or is there a reliable place I could sent it to to fix those issues?

If I can't repair it, is there a way to get the data off? I am not using the cloud system for photos, etc. The battery still works, it shows charge level when I plug the USB in, and I can get into the boot menu (hold volume down and then plug in USB), but because the power button is disconnected, I can't select. Is there a way to somehow force a boot without the power button? At least then I could get the data, and then maybe even use the phone until I decide on what to replace it with.

BTW, I am using my last phone, SS GNote5, and I'm already regretting it not having a keyboard. I really miss it.

Any help or advice appreciated!
    10-22-20 09:13 PM
    You didn't back up data before tearing it apart? What would you do if you lost your phone suddenly one day? Going forward.... think about this.

Should be able to get the parts (or a phone for parts) and take it to an experienced shop for repair, cost will depend on labor costs in your market... some western markets be cheaper to get a replacement, other markets it will be well worth fixing.

A repair shop should be able to trigger a boot by playing with the pins on the connector.
    10-23-20 08:59 AM
    Wouldn't plugging the phone into a USB port trigger a boot? Then you could hopefully see the phone as a drive and grab your files asap. Hard lesson though; as dunt dunt said, you need a backup strategy moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-20 10:29 AM
    Wouldn't plugging the phone into a USB port trigger a boot? Then you could hopefully see the phone as a drive and grab your files asap. Hard lesson though; as dunt dunt said, you need a backup strategy moving forward.

Posted via CB10
    That's on iPhones only I believe.

With Droids, you have to hold the power button.
    10-23-20 10:36 AM
    That's on iPhones only I believe.

With Droids, you have to hold the power button.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-20 10:38 AM
    My Key2 space bar started being unreliable, I tried compressed air and vacuum, no luck, so I bought a replacement keyboard.

Long story short: i replaced the keyboard, but created two problems, and wondering if they can be solved, or if not can I get my data off the phone.

1) In removing the back cover, I managed to tear the right side button ribbon cable. The volume buttons work, but the power (and probably the special function) button no longer works.

2) In trying to debug that, and despite seeing the issue on one of the few YouTube Key2 teardown videos, I managed to dislodge the white cable's pad from the motherboard that I think is the mic or speaker cable. If I were good at soldering, I'd do that, but I'm not.

My questions:

Can these two issues be fixed? I imagine the wire could be solved by replacing the motherboard (pain) or soldering (I'd need someone else to do it), but the more important issue is the power button. Can that assembly be replaced? And is that worth it? I think I can get a good used Key2 for $350, and a new one for maybe $450. Or is there a reliable place I could sent it to to fix those issues?

If I can't repair it, is there a way to get the data off? I am not using the cloud system for photos, etc. The battery still works, it shows charge level when I plug the USB in, and I can get into the boot menu (hold volume down and then plug in USB), but because the power button is disconnected, I can't select. Is there a way to somehow force a boot without the power button? At least then I could get the data, and then maybe even use the phone until I decide on what to replace it with.

BTW, I am using my last phone, SS GNote5, and I'm already regretting it not having a keyboard. I really miss it.

Any help or advice appreciated!
    The white cable is either the mobile radio antenna, or Wi-Fi. You could take it to a phone repair shop that has experience with hot air soldering as regular soldering won't work.
    To get it to boot try plugging it in then immediately unplugging again.
    EliotHochberg likes this.
    10-23-20 10:50 AM
    You didn't back up data before tearing it apart? What would you do if you lost your phone suddenly one day? Going forward.... think about this.

Should be able to get the parts (or a phone for parts) and take it to an experienced shop for repair, cost will depend on labor costs in your market... some western markets be cheaper to get a replacement, other markets it will be well worth fixing.

A repair shop should be able to trigger a boot by playing with the pins on the connector.
    You make a fair point. I did know that I could move to another phone for calls if things went wrong, but yeah, as I mentioned, I did a dumb. Several, as it turns out.
    10-23-20 12:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    See the next person's comment
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-23-20 12:49 PM
    The white cable is either the mobile radio antenna, or Wi-Fi. You could take it to a phone repair shop that has experience with hot air soldering as regular soldering won't work.
    To get it to boot try plugging it in then immediately unplugging again.
    Oh yes! That worked a treat!

I've also since learned that the button ribbon can be replaced, shouldn't be too hard actually, so I only need to find someone to solder it. Part is only $15, but I bet the soldering will be more, I'm wagering $50? Still, that's less than replacing the phone, which I was highly considering because even though I used to love my Note 5, I HATE the on screen keyboard, so much more now that I have been using my Key2 for a couple of years. I was so sad the space bar stopped working, I almost killed it!

Funny thing, now I can't power down! :^) I supposed I can just wait until the battery dies, although I bet there's a menu item that will shut it down somewhere.
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-23-20 01:11 PM
    Not to be a jerk, but the power button doesn't work, hence my post. Thankfully, someone posted a solution!
    10-23-20 01:12 PM
    Oh yes! That worked a treat!

I've also since learned that the button ribbon can be replaced, shouldn't be too hard actually, so I only need to find someone to solder it. Part is only $15, but I bet the soldering will be more, I'm wagering $50? Still, that's less than replacing the phone, which I was highly considering because even though I used to love my Note 5, I HATE the on screen keyboard, so much more now that I have been using my Key2 for a couple of years. I was so sad the space bar stopped working, I almost killed it!

Funny thing, now I can't power down! :^) I supposed I can just wait until the battery dies, although I bet there's a menu item that will shut it down somewhere.
    If TCL had better engineered the spacebar assembly like they did for the KEYone/LE, you wouldn't have gone through all this in the first place.

Hope it goes well and your KEY2 can be back up and running soon.
    10-24-20 08:13 PM