06-12-17 06:40 PM
52 123
tools
    When I first heard of BBM a few months ago while looking into the keyone, I mistakenly thought it was BB's replacement for the stock Android sms app Messages.

Now that I have keyone, I realize I was wrong. It seems to be its own messaging client and I'm sure back in the BB hay day this app was super popular as devices were more widespread

So my post title... can anyone provide some insight? Were companies using BBM since something like Lync wasn't available? I was looking forward to using it with Hub and as my primary sms client
    loispex likes this.
    06-06-17 03:02 PM
    BBM has become a cross platform messaging app, on android and iOS as well. I like it very much
    DolemiteDONS and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-06-17 03:12 PM
    bbm continues to be a great messaging app that has in some respects more features than whatsapp, FB messenger etc.

the retraction, disappearing and timed messages are great for privacy although bbm does not benefit from end to end encryption.

wifi calls and video work great for communicating

I do recommend BBM for messaging and WISH that it did have sms integration like it did many years ago.

if security and privacy are a big deal for you, and your sms usage is basic I would recommend signal messenger as an all in one solution.

for those using it,you get amazing security without Facebook and others snooping in on contacts and meta data and ability to manage groups. for those contacts not on signal it simply acts as your default sms app.

the only downside to signal is that it does not push to hub, YET.

my two cents
    daynebca and vincentkong like this.
    06-06-17 03:13 PM
    Basically, BBM is great if you are a long-time BlackBerry user and have all the people you communicate with already in there.

However, if you, like me, have your social circle in a different app, you get laughed at, if you suggest BBM. Even getting all people to a more secure messenger like Threema, Signal or Wire doesn't work and you end up having various messenger apps on your device. Since I don't want that, I stick to Google Hangouts.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    06-06-17 03:23 PM
    BBM is used today to take up storage space in my phone.

Seriously, if it only had SMS/MMS integration like what Apple does with iMessage, it would be fine.

I think it's time for them to kill it as a default install, and let it be on the Play Store for the ten people left in the world who care about it. The world has moved on. BBM adds zero value to what anyone does nowadays.
    anon(10252394) likes this.
    06-06-17 03:25 PM
    I see it as yet another thing that BlackBerry got sooooo close to being a leader in...but got complacent.... if BBM was Cross platform earlier, I believe they would have more users than whatsapp...
    06-06-17 03:28 PM
    BBM is used today to take up storage space in my phone.
    It doesn't take up storage you could use anyways. It's on the system partition which you can't write to. Once you disable BBM in Settings → Apps, it will uninstall any update from the user partition. But even if you could remove it from the system partition, too, you wouldn't be able to use that space.
    06-06-17 03:51 PM
    if BBM was Cross platform earlier, I believe they would have more users than whatsapp...
    WhatsApp's success is also due to the "just download and launch" approach. People don't understand that it works like every other messenger and still creates an account in the background (with a default password - nobody would do this if he had to create the account himself) and copies your whole address book to their servers to show all your buddies.

But since WA managed to hide these pesky details, everyone went crazy about it.
    06-06-17 03:55 PM
    haven't used BBM in years now ..
    06-06-17 03:59 PM
    I see it as yet another thing that BlackBerry got sooooo close to being a leader in...but got complacent.... if BBM was Cross platform earlier, I believe they would have more users than whatsapp...
    Without doubt.

Blackberry at the very least could have championed the most popular IM messaging platform across all mobile operating systems.

But their stubbornness to limit it to BBOS only for so long is probably their biggest blunder.

Since Blackberry weren't interested in doing it somebody else filled the gap in the market and by the time Blackberry realised that their own user base was dwindling and that they had to release BBM on other platforms it was far too late.

I don't know a single person who uses BBM. I'm the only person I know with a Blackberry and even I don't use it. It's a complete irrelevance compared to the scale of people using Whatsapp.

How did Blackberry allow somebody to come in and take their idea? Back when I was rocking my curve 8900 in 2009 and a few of my mates had Bold 9000 all our non BB friends were green with envy about BBM and its capability, it was the future of messaging.
    Last edited by The Chosen; 06-06-17 at 04:50 PM.
    06-06-17 04:08 PM
    I know...same with the entire smart phone concept really!
    Adam Frix and The Chosen like this.
    06-06-17 04:29 PM
    I disabled BBM within minutes having my KEYone setup. I'm all for Telegram. Not for security, but for features and how fast Telegram works.
    06-06-17 04:29 PM
    I use bbm for family and some friends and some great bbm groups. I don't use whatsapp,facebook,instagram.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    06-06-17 04:34 PM
    The majority of my business is done with BBM. Almost all of my customers use it exclusively. I have 152 active BBM contacts currently. Not to mention family and game group chats among others. I for 1, would be lost without BBM.
    stlabrat and rayporsche like this.
    06-06-17 04:45 PM
    It doesn't take up storage you could use anyways.
    The user partition would be bigger if the base software package was smaller, no? So yes, it's taking up storage I could use anyways, if only they would have not included it in the first place.
    anon(10252394) likes this.
    06-06-17 04:46 PM
    When I first heard of BBM a few months ago while looking into the keyone, I mistakenly thought it was BB's replacement for the stock Android sms app Messages.

Now that I have keyone, I realize I was wrong. It seems to be its own messaging client and I'm sure back in the BB hay day this app was super popular as devices were more widespread

So my post title... can anyone provide some insight? Were companies using BBM since something like Lync wasn't available? I was looking forward to using it with Hub and as my primary sms client
    There was a point in time when people paid for SMS/MMS. Like with data, there were plans for 100, 300, unlimited messages/month and so on. For those without a plan, they were simply billed per message and some plans did not include MMS. Also, there were "long-distance" charges, too, if you sent a message to a phone with a number that was outside of which-ever country your own phone number was based in. Enter, BBM.

Before BB10, data was routed through BlackBerries/RIMs own servers, including from BBM. So, in a nutshell, this was a way to bypass any one particular carriers requirements for an SMS/MMS plan and for long distance charges. The only downfall is that it only worked from BBM to BBM and up until a few years ago that also meant owning a BlackBerry. This was also what helped to put BlackBerry on top as king of the smartphone and why BlackBerries were so popular in areas where cellular service was still rather expensive back in the day (mainly, South East Asia and South America).

Some say that BBM used to have SMS integration, but I dunno. I have been using BlackBerries for a decade now and I have only used BBM twice and everyone has SMS, and in the U.S. has had SMS for a long time now.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-06-17 04:48 PM
    Bbm was used because it was somewhat secure and mostly because back then a lot of ppl had BBs. Today i still like bbm and use it witg some friends. I like the whole privacy thing where i can have private chats that disappear on both ends after a minute idling, timed messages and retract chat.
    06-06-17 05:13 PM
    I own a few restaurants. All my management team members communicate through BBM. Allows us to easily send pictures, have group chats and of course know if someone read the message or not. Works more efficiently than What's App? in my opinion.
    stlabrat, rayporsche and dollface like this.
    06-06-17 05:16 PM
    The majority of my business is done with BBM. Almost all of my customers use it exclusively. I have 152 active BBM contacts currently. Not to mention family and game group chats among others. I for 1, would be lost without BBM.
    Curious to know what your business is and what country you are located in? That is almost unheard of these days.

 C L A S S I C
    06-06-17 05:23 PM
    Curious to know what your business is and what country you are located in? That is almost unheard of these days.

 C L A S S I C
    IT - Small Business support. A lot of my customers are Mennonites and they all use BBM a lot so it worked well for me. In Canada, small farming community.

I'm actually going to have to create a new BBM on my KeyOne just so I can keep my BBM history on my Passport. No way to transfer it to android BBM and there's too much info in there. I've had same BBM forever lol.
    06-06-17 05:26 PM
    IT - Small Business support. A lot of my customers are Mennonites and they all use BBM a lot so it worked well for me. In Canada, small farming community.

I'm actually going to have to create a new BBM on my KeyOne just so I can keep my BBM history on my Passport. No way to transfer it to android BBM and there's too much info in there. I've had same BBM forever lol.
    Cool - interesting demographic of BBM users!

I believe in BBM you can export your chat history to email. Is always an alternative to changing your ID. But yes, it's shocking that there is no way to backup/sync your history between devices.

 C L A S S I C
    06-06-17 05:31 PM
    Cool - interesting demographic of BBM users!

I believe in BBM you can export your chat history to email. Is always an alternative to changing your ID. But yes, it's shocking that there is no way to backup/sync your history between devices.

 C L A S S I C
    ya, you can, but it only takes a certain # of messages and it's a fairly low # considering the history I have lol. I did find a way to transfer chat history between BB10 devices with the help of Crackberry, because Blackberry said it wasn't possible lol.

I think if I put my Passport in permanent airplane mode before I transferred my BBID it would work too, because it would never know it was transferred. But that renders it totally useless as a backup phone too.
    06-06-17 05:34 PM
    While BBM is no longer popular with most consumers, BBM is still a relevant part of BlackBerry's suite of secure software products and part of their end to end security solutions for enterprise and government customers.
    rayporsche likes this.
    06-06-17 05:45 PM
    In Indonesia it's the most popular messaging app over there and also it's about all I use I haven't sent a text message in months my whole family my friends everybody uses BBM, its literally my messaging app. I've been using BBM since my first BlackBerry in 1999.
    rayporsche likes this.
    06-06-17 06:08 PM
    I tried convincing my family members to download the application on their iPhones and succeeded....until they decided it wasn't useful/it took up too much space on their devices and they ended up deleting it. Same thing with a friend. Now, I don't use it all

Posted with  BlackBerry Classic
    06-06-17 06:52 PM
52 123